Author Topic: Abs everyday???  (Read 2550 times)

Tkeeze

• Getbig II
  • 281-330-8004
Abs everyday???
« on: January 06, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »
I train abs after each workout...that's about 4-5 times a week.  Various exercises 100-150 reps total.  I have good abs, but I wonder if I'm overtraining.  Any thoughts.

T

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: Abs everyday???
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 07:25:04 PM »

Abs are muscles just like the quads or biceps. Do you train those every day?
Oddly enough, abs seem to be the muscle that people can get away with doing things you couldn't for the other groups.
Shawn Ray would train his abs two days on, one day off, using something like 7 different exercises with 30 reps non-stop.
Some people claim to not train them at all (I think Tom Prince was one of them).
Others follow everything in between. I guess it's a matter of taste, and if you aren't lazy enough.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 05:59:35 AM »
yes.

don't forget to flash them in a mirror too.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 12:55:55 AM »
Do you have great abs or a flat stomach?  There's a big difference.  Most people get tonis from training abs that much.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 08:38:37 AM »
As YoungBlood said, the Abs can and should be treated like any other muscle group.That would mean 2 or 3 sets of 8-12 reps a couple times a week. Marathon Ab workouts are never required.  The Abs can receive quite a good workout without even including any direct work on them at all. That nasty four letter word Diet has the main cause & effect on a chunky waist line and love handles. Carbs or calories come into play in this regard.

Using one of those AB Wheels can do wonders to keep the midsection in top shape. It will attack the lower and upper Ab walls quite well. But if you what max muscled Abs that do weighted exercises. You will find that, as a short range muscle group, they are very powerful (as most short range muscle groups are). A lot of BB'ers want a tiny thin waist. But in my view, a heavily develop row of Ab muscle is so much more impressive. Good Luck.
F

tomgreynolds

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 09:26:18 AM »
Dexter Jackson admittedly doesn't train abs, and a few other pros are the same way. A lot of people feel that the best ab exercises are heavy deadlifts and squats in which your abs have to stabilize and support your torso.

I train abs 2-3 times per week with 3 sets hanging leg raises, 3 sets cable crunches, 3 sets lying leg raises or "6-inches".

It's hard to overtrain your abs, i've found that you can actually get them into shape where its prefectly ok to train them 4-5 times per week.

Tkeeze

• Getbig II
  • 281-330-8004
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 04:55:35 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys!!!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 07:23:54 PM »
I train abs after each workout...that's about 4-5 times a week.  Various exercises 100-150 reps total.  I have good abs, but I wonder if I'm overtraining.  Any thoughts.

T

I think you should try hit them twice a week instead, and maybe 5-6 sets, with 8-10 very heavy reps.

To get a good looking mid section, you don't need to train abs.

But in order to avoid injuries to your back and hips, you really should train the abs seriously.

And with strong abs, you will have a stronger deadlift and squat.
As empty as paradise

laurion

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 07:46:54 PM »
Do you have great abs or a flat stomach?  There's a big difference.  Most people get tonis from training abs that much.

??? Please Explain ???

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 11:06:09 PM »
??? Please Explain ???

Posted Tuesday, April 04, 2006
Overtonis
Filed under Training

(IronMan Magazine March 1976 Vol. 35 No. 3)

Overtonis is a condition caused by too many sets, too many different exercise combinations - in short, overwork, which causes muscle tissue loss, hormone depletion, weakness and a smoothed-out appearance, inability to produce a pumping effect and a general lassitude or weakness.

Overtonis produces a stringy appearance with no healthy round look apparent in a properly worked muscle.

Overtonis is caused by male hormone loss.

Overtonis causes the central nervous system to cease pumping blood into capillaries which might otherwise rupture. To achieve a maximum pump exercise until you notice pump loss. At this point, check back the number of sets, tempo and repetitions required to achieve this effect. This is your personal exercise requirement level.

laurion

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »

Posted Tuesday, April 04, 2006
Overtonis
Filed under Training

(IronMan Magazine March 1976 Vol. 35 No. 3)

Overtonis is a condition caused by too many sets, too many different exercise combinations - in short, overwork, which causes muscle tissue loss, hormone depletion, weakness and a smoothed-out appearance, inability to produce a pumping effect and a general lassitude or weakness.

Overtonis produces a stringy appearance with no healthy round look apparent in a properly worked muscle.

Overtonis is caused by male hormone loss.

Overtonis causes the central nervous system to cease pumping blood into capillaries which might otherwise rupture. To achieve a maximum pump exercise until you notice pump loss. At this point, check back the number of sets, tempo and repetitions required to achieve this effect. This is your personal exercise requirement level.

I meant that calves, abs, and forearms are considered high in slow twitch (red fiberous muscles) which (depending on the individual of course) can be worked out daily with minimal overtonis.

tomgreynolds

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
Yes, there are a ton of pros and amateur bodybuilders alike who train abs, calves and forearms almost everyday if not every single day. They take a lot to become sore and are almost impossible to overtrain... or "overtonis"....

laurion

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »
Yes, there are a ton of pros and amateur bodybuilders alike who train abs, calves and forearms almost everyday if not every single day. They take a lot to become sore and are almost impossible to overtrain... or "overtonis"....

Perfect example calves are worked like a white muscle every time you take one step they need alot more to grow.
Equation breakdown, 200+ pound person takes step = One calf supporting and moving 200+ pounds  ;D

tomgreynolds

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 07:04:51 PM »
Perfect example calves are worked like a white muscle every time you take one step they need alot more to grow.
Equation breakdown, 200+ pound person takes step = One calf supporting and moving 200+ pounds  ;D

Couldn't have said it better myself!