Author Topic: How can i get my squat up???  (Read 3525 times)

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
How can i get my squat up???
« on: January 09, 2008, 01:01:47 PM »
Help!!!

Im going to do my 1st powerlifting contest in April, my Dead and bench are decent but my squat sucks, im quite tall, 6 ft 3 but thats no excuse,
any tips guys for getting the squat up?
Would be much appreciated!!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: How can i get my squat up???
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:16:19 PM »
just like anything else, practice it, don't overcomplicate it by doing all the bands, chains and fancy accessory movements at first, just practice sitting below parallel in the regular old barbell squat so you'll do it right in the meet.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 01:30:24 PM »
just like anything else, practice it, don't overcomplicate it by doing all the bands, chains and fancy accessory movements at first, just practice sitting below parallel in the regular old barbell squat so you'll do it right in the meet.

that's right..learn to squat right first.  Play with bar position on your back, grip width, stance, etc and you'll be surprised. Do alot of core exercises to really strengthen your abs too so you'll stay strong and stable wiht heavier weights. Throw in some good mornings and box squats every so often and you'll watch your numbers go up.

Number one thing.. don't be afraid to bottom out and squat in a cage for safety. You'll never know what you can do until you try and don't be scared to miss a squat if it's too heavy. You can do half squats and such too to get you used to walking out heavier weights and get your body used tot he movements WITH that knda weight on your back.

good luck!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 02:27:29 PM »
Help!!!

im quite tall, 6 ft 3 but thats no excuse,

Actually it is ...
somewhat ;)

Work on calf and hamstring strength and flexibility.
Also, box squats will help, but try not to do them the Westside way all the time (they actually SIT and rock up).  Set up a box/chair/whatever and just tap your butt so you know you're getting to the right height
:

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 03:00:28 PM »
Of course the first thing that pop's into my mind is: why come to a BB'ing site for PL'ing help. And it sounds like you do not train with other PL'ers or have a coach. Maybe I am wrong, could be. Training with-in a small group of lifters can, in it's self, boost anyones lifts up quite a bit. If your new to GetBig than take a trip to the Pl'ing site and take advantage of the good information/help you may gain from there.

General rule of thumb is to train the squat as you train the DL, as far as (usually) 3's and sets go. Box squats are great but do  require a certain learning period to do them correctly. A big squats also requires speed and quickness. Something that also takes a little time to practice and learn. Also have to define exactly where to place the bar on the back and your best feet placement for ultimate squating for  your body type. I can think of a half a dozen thing you should be doing to get ready for any meet, three months or even a year from now.

In any event, try heavy support work with quarter and near half squats for a couple of sets each. You want to get adjusted to handling at least 100 to 150 lbs over regular squat weight. This can also increase the confidence factor in using heavier weight in the workouts. After these, than squat in you preferred matter for sets of 5's to set's of 3's. Try for twice a week squat workouts. Also include speed with in you rep patters. This would include those quarter and half squats. You want to burst off from the break below the knees position of the squat. Developing  power will increase speed as you go along in the workouts. The only extra exercise you may need are GoodMornings and some heavy Ab work. Though you did not explain your present DL program, which may or may not include these two exercises.

This is just one workout scheme, many others out there. But time is very short for you. Best of luck.
F

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 06:17:19 PM »
Actually it is ...
somewhat ;)

Work on calf and hamstring strength and flexibility.
Also, box squats will help, but try not to do them the Westside way all the time (they actually SIT and rock up).  Set up a box/chair/whatever and just tap your butt so you know you're getting to the right height

And the problem with a westside box squat is?  Im guessing there is quite a bit of the physics and physiology youre missing here.

Jason

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 07:12:13 PM »
And the problem with a westside box squat is?  Im guessing there is quite a bit of the physics and physiology youre missing here.

Jason

There's nothing wrong doing them that way. I said to try not doing them Westside style ALL the time.
:

untamedsense

• Getbig II
  • Bigger, Better, Badder!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »
I'd be careful with any kind of box squat because if they're not done correctly, the compression on your spine could be severe...I know I'd rather fail and toss the weight (or have spotters!!!), then have that box under me at that point.
Question:  Do you KNOW what the rules for squats in powerlifting competition are?  If not, they are vital to your success...
On to training for it...
Once you learn how you are to squat in competition, practice, practice, practice...and try to increase weight of course.  Triples, doubles and singles are what you NEED to do!
Add this in:  Pick a weight that isn't reasonable...make it heavier than you think you can accomplish.  In a power rack, unrack and squat it 2 inches for reps...do a couple sets.  The next workout, 3 inches...and so on.  It really is a great techinque...
Those who play with cats; expect to get scratched!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 01:42:51 PM »
"squats are built off doubles"-Louie Simmons

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 01:47:48 PM »
"squats are built off doubles"-Louie Simmons
you could say that for all three lifts in PL'ing, i know Louie is a big believer in not pulling a lot of reps on deadlifts.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 03:19:56 PM »
There's nothing wrong doing them that way. I said to try not doing them Westside style ALL the time.

why?

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »
you could say that for all three lifts in PL'ing, i know Louie is a big believer in not pulling a lot of reps on deadlifts.

that's right. There are different kinds of strength..but if you want sheer power, that's usually built with heavy ass weight and less reps. You know that as much as anyone.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 03:33:41 PM »
why?

Jason

I'm curious as well why the program that has produced more world records and champions than any other program known to man shouldn't be taken into serious thought.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 03:44:41 PM »
try to find a good powerlifting coach in your area to help you.

It will be worth your money.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »
Then get you a pair of convict pro knee wraps at prowriststraps.com to get your ass out of the hole with that heavier shit!  ;D ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 04:53:48 PM »
Pausing at the bottom with lighter weights (sets of 5-8),will help you to get deep.

Sets of 3-5 with submaximal weight.

To get good at squats,you must do squats,no assistance exercise will help like regular squatting will but partials in the rack will build supportive power.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 05:05:48 PM »
Pausing at the bottom with lighter weights (sets of 5-8),will help you to get deep.

Sets of 3-5 with submaximal weight.

To get good at squats,you must do squats,no assistance exercise will help like regular squatting will but partials in the rack will build supportive power.

I beg to differ, but I think we are talking about different things. ;)

Jason

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 06:33:02 PM »
that's right. There are different kinds of strength..but if you want sheer power, that's usually built with heavy ass weight and less reps. You know that as much as anyone.
i agree, makes absolutely no sense fuccking around with higher reps on a PL'ing program, the only great lifter i ever read about who trained that way was Kazmaier at the beginning of a training cycle and even he would cycle down to triples and doubles, one thing he always believed in was never htiing a max in training, he said he always came into a meet off of his last heavy triple in training.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 06:42:09 PM »
i agree, makes absolutely no sense fuccking around with higher reps on a PL'ing program, the only great lifter i ever read about who trained that way was Kazmaier at the beginning of a training cycle and even he would cycle down to triples and doubles, one thing he always believed in was never htiing a max in training, he said he always came into a meet off of his last heavy triple in training.

Lots of guys still do high rep tuff, but it is accessory moves and prehab/rehab type movements, nothing major or, in some cases "noteworthy"  Kazmaier is a mutant, pure and simple.

Jason

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 06:00:25 AM »
Lots of guys still do high rep tuff, but it is accessory moves and prehab/rehab type movements, nothing major or, in some cases "noteworthy"  Kazmaier is a mutant, pure and simple.

Jason
it's still my belief that Kazmaier is if not THE BEST BENCH PRESSER OF ALL TIME then he's in the top 3 or so, shirtless 475 for 15 at the beginning of a cycle, shirtless 661 in the early 1980's, no one was touching that type of weight then except for the great Jim Williams.

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 04:22:57 PM »
Help!!!

Im going to do my 1st powerlifting contest in April, my Dead and bench are decent but my squat sucks, im quite tall, 6 ft 3 but thats no excuse,
any tips guys for getting the squat up?
Would be much appreciated!!

jpm101 is dead on.  This is not the place to ask this question.  There are a number of more powerlifting oriented forums out there.  PM me and I'll tell you the ones I'd suggest.

He's also right in that the best way to improve as a powerlifter is to find other powerlifters and train with them.  Find guys stronger than you are.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 07:17:08 PM »
jpm101 is dead on.  This is not the place to ask this question.  There are a number of more powerlifting oriented forums out there.  PM me and I'll tell you the ones I'd suggest.

He's also right in that the best way to improve as a powerlifter is to find other powerlifters and train with them.  Find guys stronger than you are.

so there arent any powerlifters here?  I thought something was amiss!

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 07:39:17 PM »
http://westside-barbell.com/articles.htm

go forth and become learned my child..

the only other way to get your squat up than reading and understanding what's in that link is to have me squat for you..

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2008, 08:41:11 AM »
so there arent any powerlifters here?  I thought something was amiss!

Jason

The problem isn't that there are not powerlifters here, it's that there are way too many people who know absolutely nothing, and spew advice.  A newbie (like the OP) has trouble figuring it all out.

This thread is a great example of that.  Read it from the perspective of ignorance, and try to figure out who you should listen to.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2008, 06:32:39 PM »
Of course the first thing that pop's into my mind is: why come to a BB'ing site for PL'ing help.

Um, last time I checked there are lots of PLers on here.  There is even a powerlifting board.  Think before you post next time.

SF's absolutely right...learn proper technique first.  Don't try to pile on the heavy weight until you master the technique, otherwise you'll injure yourself and possibly keep yourself from squatting heavy forever.  You can also work on strengthening your core (abs, lower back) by doing some auxiliary exercises.

What's your current squat 1RM now and what do you want it to be by the meet?