Author Topic: Question? How to increase max bench....  (Read 10865 times)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Re: Question? How to increase max bench....
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
dips and then dips with with weights attached.  if you weigh 250 when you can dip with a 150 lbs you can now bench 400 big uns.

I don't believe this to be true

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »
My best dip performance was bodyweight plus 100 pounds for 8 reps when I weighed about 175, but there is no way in hell that I could have bp'ed 275 for 8 reps at that time. In fact, I was doing 225 for 6 reps at that time.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2011, 10:05:39 AM »
^^^^

Iono about funks numbers but the dips suggestion is a good one, they help build up your tris and shoulders which really does help your bench. I always noticed that when my weighted dip numbers where going up so was my bench.

dj's numbers are more along what i experienced too, ive gotten up to 8 reps on my last set with 145 with a body weight of probably 205 and I was still probably only repping 305-315 or so for bench on my last set for maybe 6-8

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 12:21:58 AM »
Any updates? cl? adrain? andreisdaman?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 05:15:47 AM »
My best dip performance was bodyweight plus 100 pounds for 8 reps when I weighed about 175, but there is no way in hell that I could have bp'ed 275 for 8 reps at that time. In fact, I was doing 225 for 6 reps at that time.
but what could you do with weighted dips for a good single than tell me the result. i'm betting on you being able to do 130 lb db plus 175 = 305 for a single bench press.
F

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 05:41:46 AM »
but what could you do with weighted dips for a good single than tell me the result. i'm betting on you being able to do 130 lb db plus 175 = 305 for a single bench press.

I'm not sure what I could have did for a single on the dips at that time, but I could only do 255 for a single on the bench, when I was was able to do 225 for 6 reps. Maybe it's because I benched with excellent form on the bench press, no bridging or bounching.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 07:13:39 AM »
Find your weakness...

Having long arm bench press have always be a pain in the ass. Always trouble to start from chest lock out even if the bar feel light.
Then one day i tried floor press, just 4 set of 5 reps with medium/heavy weight during my light bp training on thursday.

my bench press increase since, it feel like the range of motion was shorter now.

Same thing for the squat, got trouble to keep my back straight and not bending forward.
just add heavy abs work, then my squat increase.

Solution is never more rep, more exercise.

Find your weakness.
asstropin

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 07:16:51 AM »
Train bench every 5 to 7 days depending upon your recovery ability, and on training day start with benches 4*6 and then do a compound tricep exercise which mimics the bench press ie. floor presses, JM presses, close-grip bench presses, also for 4 sets of 6. Also, eliminate direct delt work, except for maybe some rotator cuff work.

Exact, for mimic exercise, and avoiding heavy delt work, especially military press kill my bench press.

at one point i was able to press 200 for 7 reps in standing military press and only a hard 275 for 5 reps in bench press, in complete shitty style (rebound + arching back).

now i'm able to bench very strict 300 for 5 good rep, which seems to me honest for a weak bencher.
asstropin

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »
Any updates? cl? adrain? andreisdaman?

haven't tried them yet....gotta work them into my routine

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 06:35:39 AM »
Has anyone discussed form?

I found my bench increased when I learned to tuck my legs as far under the bench as possible, create the proper arch, squeeze the bar as tightly as possible, mimic "bending" the bar on the descent, then driving up from the legs.

Also,  I'm twink status here, but I did this program twice ten years ago, and got my max up to 325 for a single at 180.  Nothing earth shattering but, it did work (it was a gain of about 35lbs for the one rep max in 7 weeks).  The progression tables provided make it easy to follow and monitor if you're on track and make adjustments.

I might try it again soon, since I've lost my bench over the years.

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm

Good luck!
Y