Author Topic: efa's  (Read 3088 times)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
efa's
« on: January 20, 2008, 10:19:36 PM »
udo erasmus is the worlds leading expert on dietary fats. his udo's choice oil is used by countless champion athletes and health professionals...includin g milos sarcev.   he recommends one tablespoon per 50 lbs of bodyweight per day.    one tablespoon is equivelant to 15 grams.   so for myself..my minimum intake of efa's should be 4 tablespoons, or 60 grams.      the correct ratio of efa's is 2:1:1: ...so that means 30 grams of omega 3's, 15 grams of omega 6's, 15 grams of omega 9's.   

theres no way i could afford or intake that many capsules.

it seems as if i must buy some oil blends...   but i cant find any 3-6-9 blends for cheap.     a 10 day supply of udos is almost 40 bucks.

any suggestions?

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
Re: efa's
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 11:10:08 PM »
Maybe get your omega 3's from fish oils 5 to 10 grams per day. Get your omega 6 and 9 from the diet such as vegetable oils or nuts etc. Might be tricky to get the ratios right if thats important.

Flax oil has the fatty acid ALA which is converted into the fatty acids DHA/EPA in the body. This conversion is not very efficient. Fish oil already contains DHA/EPA, hence the need to take in 30 grams of flax versus 5 grams of fish oil.

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 01:23:13 AM »
udo erasmus is the worlds leading expert on dietary fats. his udo's choice oil is used by countless champion athletes and health professionals...includin g milos sarcev.   he recommends one tablespoon per 50 lbs of bodyweight per day.    one tablespoon is equivelant to 15 grams.   so for myself..my minimum intake of efa's should be 4 tablespoons, or 60 grams.      the correct ratio of efa's is 2:1:1: ...so that means 30 grams of omega 3's, 15 grams of omega 6's, 15 grams of omega 9's.   

it seems as if i must buy some oil blends...   but i cant find any 3-6-9 blends for cheap.     a 10 day supply of udos is almost 40 bucks.

any suggestions?

I don't know your finacial situation, but i will say that udo's oil blend is well worth the money, i see the big bottles (32oz) all the time for $30, that's three bucks a day.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 03:27:11 AM »

any suggestions?

Mabye you should lower the dosage - take half as much & spread it out over the day. You make no sense. You're worried about taking in an extra 100-150 calories & now you're talking about taking four tablespoons a day of efa's (400-600 calories). What kind of drugs are you taking? (serious question) You could always try getting a job to buy your supplements. Maybe you could also budget your money accordingly so that you know what sups you can afford. 

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 06:35:07 AM »
Mabye you should lower the dosage - take half as much & spread it out over the day. You make no sense. You're worried about taking in an extra 100-150 calories & now you're talking about taking four tablespoons a day of efa's (400-600 calories). What kind of drugs are you taking? (serious question) You could always try getting a job to buy your supplements. Maybe you could also budget your money accordingly so that you know what sups you can afford. 
i have a job actually...i just got my personal trainer certificate too!

yeah i am worried about an extra 150 calories from flax if those extra 150 calories are going to go to waste. i want to optimize my diet!    as for the 4 tablespoons of udo's...he says that the one tablespoon per 50 lbs of bodyweight all will go to the formation of hormones and prdasglandins(spelling is definitely wrong on that word..but its something like that. haha..i dont know what it is, but it makes sense)...and that taking this supplement only gets you leaner, and healthier.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 06:36:54 AM »
I take three tablespoons a day. One in two shakes, and one on salad or vegies. I dont follow his 1:50 lbs bodyweight, too expensive but love the product.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 06:42:45 AM »
I take three tablespoons a day. One in two shakes, and one on salad or vegies. I dont follow his 1:50 lbs bodyweight, too expensive but love the product.
awesome. someone with personal experience on the subject.

when you first started taking it...did you notice any differences? he says that after the first three days you will notice soem slight changes start to occur.   and have you ever thought that you experienced fat deposits from his oil?

t

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 06:52:52 AM »
awesome. someone with personal experience on the subject.

when you first started taking it...did you notice any differences? he says that after the first three days you will notice soem slight changes start to occur.   and have you ever thought that you experienced fat deposits from his oil?

t

No, never gained fat. Actually got leaner, recovered better and skin improved big time. Along with better cholesterol profile and libido! I can not eat fish so I need to supplement some efa's.

He came out and did a seminar a while back and sold me on it. I tried it and been using it ever since, about 8-9 years.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 07:21:17 AM »
Not trying to be a dick candi but look into the benefits of adding coconut oil to your diet (seriously). It's not an  EFA but it'll help. PM me for websites.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 08:26:22 AM »
coconut oil is a mct...udo puts it in his new version.     

i actually want a version without the mct's...because while they dont have any real propensity to be stored as fat, they are still energy calories that are not essential to the body and are not in the same form as body fat so they do not increase the genes, enzymes, and hormones involved in breaking down the longer chain adipose tissue that im looking at breaking down.
 :)

thanks for the advice though. i appreciate the fact that you actually tried to help me rather than just the normal flaming.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 10:07:20 AM »
I'm not normally a dick & don't try to flame but a lot of your responses seem to warrant it. Anyway, you should seriously consider what I said.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 11:41:49 AM »
This is directly from Udo's site.

Draw  your own conclusions.

•   Can the body convert ALA from Udo's Oil Blend into the n-3 derivatives EPA + DHA contained in fish oils?
•   If so, how much conversion takes place?
•   Is conversion sufficient for health needs?

All three of these questions were answered in October 2002, by two studies published in the British Journal of Nutrition (BJN) which measured the conversion of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), the short chain n-3 essential fatty acid, into the long chain n-3 derivatives EPA, DPA, and DHA. The first study1, carried out with six women, showed that these women converted an average of 36% of the ALA they were given into long chain n-3 derivatives (21% EPA, 6%DPA, 9%DHA).
The second study2, done with six men, showed that the men converted an average of 16% of the ALA they received into long-chain n-3 derivatives (8%EPA, 8%DPA). In this study, the men produced no DHA. However, another study showed that men convert ALA to DHA as well

:

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 03:16:58 PM »
This is directly from Udo's site.

Draw  your own conclusions.

•   Can the body convert ALA from Udo's Oil Blend into the n-3 derivatives EPA + DHA contained in fish oils?
•   If so, how much conversion takes place?
•   Is conversion sufficient for health needs?

All three of these questions were answered in October 2002, by two studies published in the British Journal of Nutrition (BJN) which measured the conversion of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), the short chain n-3 essential fatty acid, into the long chain n-3 derivatives EPA, DPA, and DHA. The first study1, carried out with six women, showed that these women converted an average of 36% of the ALA they were given into long chain n-3 derivatives (21% EPA, 6%DPA, 9%DHA).
The second study2, done with six men, showed that the men converted an average of 16% of the ALA they received into long-chain n-3 derivatives (8%EPA, 8%DPA). In this study, the men produced no DHA. However, another study showed that men convert ALA to DHA as well

Forgot to mention that I also use a DHA-EPA supp with three meals (about 3-5 day)

What is your conclusion Princess, that is interesting stuff??

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 06:21:21 PM »
Forgot to mention that I also use a DHA-EPA supp with three meals (about 3-5 day)

What is your conclusion Princess, that is interesting stuff??

Over the years I know I sound like a broken record.  Omega 3s are not created equal.  The omega 3 in flax oil and Udo's is ALA.  Our bodies need to convert ALA into a usable form ~ EPA & DHA.  The process is ineffecient and the conversion rate is limited.   Fish oil is a direct source of EPA & DHA.  Udo readily admits how important EPA & DHA are, yet his product does not contain it.  He tries to convince people we can convert all we need and how bad fish oil is  ::) Also, humans RARELY need to supplement with Omega 6 & 9.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=123126.0
:

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 06:40:31 PM »

Over the years I know I sound like a broken record.  Omega 3s are not created equal.  The omega 3 in flax oil and Udo's is ALA.  Our bodies need to convert ALA into a usable form ~ EPA & DHA.  The process is ineffecient and the conversion rate is limited.   Fish oil is a direct source of EPA & DHA.  Udo readily admits how important EPA & DHA are, yet his product does not contain it.  He tries to convince people we can convert all we need and how bad fish oil is  ::) Also, humans RARELY need to supplement with Omega 6 & 9.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=123126.0

Ok, well that makes a lot of sense.

So in conclusion you are saying Udo oil is a weak conversion into ALA. And that I would be better off supplementing with straight Omega 3, in fish oil form. Correct?

Since I can not eat fish, I need the calories and do they make a product with straight Omega 3's that has calorie value as opposed to the pills? I am taking 3 tbsns of Udo which equals 42 g. or so for about 400 calories. That is a lot of pills that are normally 1 mg each!!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 06:48:32 PM »
Ok, well that makes a lot of sense.

So in conclusion you are saying Udo oil is a weak conversion into ALA. And that I would be better off supplementing with straight Omega 3, in fish oil form. Correct?

Since I can not eat fish, I need the calories and do they make a product with straight Omega 3's that has calorie value as opposed to the pills? I am taking 3 tbsns of Udo which equals 42 g. or so for about 400 calories. That is a lot of pills that are normally 1 mg each!!

It's a weak conversion FROM ALA to EPA & DHA, so yes, supplement with fish oil or cod liver oil (winter only).  Don't expect to get your calories from the fish oil.  You can get them in other (tastier) forms.
:

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 06:52:06 PM »

It's a weak conversion FROM ALA to EPA & DHA, so yes, supplement with fish oil or cod liver oil (winter only).  Don't expect to get your calories from the fish oil.  You can get them in other (tastier) forms.

Got it, will get to doin' some research on food forms that are not FISH!

thanks PL!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 06:57:29 PM »
Got it, will get to doin' some research on food forms that are not FISH!

thanks PL!

Let me make myself clear.  You get your efa's (essential fatty acids) ~ EPA & DHA from fish oil.  Get your (fat) calories elsewhere - like nuts & avacado...
:

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 07:08:36 PM »
they do sell liquid form omega 3 with high amounts of dha/epa...so if you wanted to make your entire fat intake fish oil you could do so.

as long as your food sources have enough omega 6 & 9' s then i guess you would be fine not using uso's or a fats blend like thin fat...

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 08:14:13 PM »
i agree with princess on this topic and wrote about it before, w-6 need not be supplemented, and ala is inferior to fish oil. w-9 is olive oil and can be made in the body.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 10:49:31 PM »
yeah i just looked it up and i guess chicken fat is a source of omega 6 fats...i eat alot of chicken! and if omega-9 can be produced in the body, then i guess i really only do have to worry about omega 3s. i eat a can of tuna normally about once a day, so thats 1.5 grams of omega 3, but i thin optimum is probably about 15-20 grams,,   and also, some sesatrim, cla, and some other fat burning fats.   i have max cla from prima force, i have omega 3 fish oil capsules, and i have a bottle of vpx thin fat...so i think im good and will just stick with buying those products.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »

Let me make myself clear.  You get your efa's (essential fatty acids) ~ EPA & DHA from fish oil.  Get your (fat) calories elsewhere - like nuts & avacado...

Roger that.  8)

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 08:53:03 AM »

Agreed.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 04:04:21 PM »

any suggestions?
you complicate shit too much, just eat for fuccks sake.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 04:59:32 PM »
you complicate shit too much, just eat for fuccks sake.
no...i just look at things the best way to look at them. you ver simplify things. "just eat". no. fuck no. ill "just eat", and just look like you. fat, small, and ugly.

nutrition is extremely complicated, if you have the interest in delving that far into it.   

but for people like you,,, its actually quite simple. because in your case, your missing the basics...eat often, base your meals around protein, only consume energy when energy is demanded.

but once you have that down there is a tona of shit you can do to twak your diet and see huge differences in whats going on.