Author Topic: Why do some "Christians" terrorize children with tales of hell?  (Read 10603 times)

laurion

• Getbig III
Re: Why do some "Christians" terrorize children with tales of hell?
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 08:41:50 PM »
It has always been beyond me why people chose to worship a God who would throw them into a burning fire pit to have their skin ripped of or the like because they made a "mistake" in life.  The notion of "be good or else" has always sounded like the worst reason to be faithful, and I've always suspected that those who read the Bible so conservatively miss out on what it actually says.  It reminds me of a couple other groups of people in the past who refused to listen to reason because it was written otherwise (Pharisees and Sadducee's) who looked change in the face and hung it on a cross.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 09:17:50 PM »
Well for their sake, I hope your progeny come to their senses. By the time they are in their thirties and science has made gigantic steps forward, believing the crap that you have forced upon them will be bloody embarassing.

Science has indeed made giant steps. And as glaring proof, one need only look at the very link you provided that shows that your claim (and that of other atheists), that the town of Nazareth was an invention by Christians that occured around 3rd century A.D., is patently false.

Of course, that also sinks the initial claims by skeptics that Nazareth never existed at all.

Notice the pattern here:

1) Historical person or place is initially found only in the Bible.

2) Skeptics swear up and down that person/place is false or fabricated.

3) Archaeologists find artificats, which verify the Biblical accounts.

4) Skeptics dine on crow, later changing their claims when they can't deny the cold, hard facts.

5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 (at least, twice).

6) Skeptics curse, swear, and insult people, hoping such will hide their feeble arguments.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2008, 09:42:27 PM »
It has always been beyond me why people chose to worship a God who would throw them into a burning fire pit to have their skin ripped of or the like because they made a "mistake" in life.  The notion of "be good or else" has always sounded like the worst reason to be faithful, and I've always suspected that those who read the Bible so conservatively miss out on what it actually says.  It reminds me of a couple other groups of people in the past who refused to listen to reason because it was written otherwise (Pharisees and Sadducee's) who looked change in the face and hung it on a cross.

Perhaps, it's because their primary motivation for serving God is NOT out of fear of a "burning pit", but because this God loves them and cares for them. This God will redeem them, when others in the world (especially the "enlightened ones", be they believers in a deity or not) write them off as human beings. This God will forgive their sins, when they repent, not throw it in their faces every chance they get.

Of course, that would beg the question as to whether or not our non-believing brethren obey earthly laws, based strictly out of their sense of moral justice (whatever that is), with no fear of earthly consequences.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 01:54:21 AM »
Perhaps, it's because their primary motivation for serving God is NOT out of fear of a "burning pit", but because this God loves them and cares for them. This God will redeem them, when others in the world (especially the "enlightened ones", be they believers in a deity or not) write them off as human beings. This God will forgive their sins, when they repent, not throw it in their faces every chance they get.

Of course, that would beg the question as to whether or not our non-believing brethren obey earthly laws, based strictly out of their sense of moral justice (whatever that is), with no fear of earthly consequences.

These are the type of people that are the top brass of our government. Same beliefs. Maybe even more delusional I am sure.  What a shame.  :'(

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2008, 03:52:41 AM »
These are the type of people that are the top brass of our government. Same beliefs. Maybe even more delusional I am sure.  What a shame.  :'(

MCWAY for president all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate the State.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 12:50:33 PM »

With or without the existence of God, my morality will stay intact.   No like my friend, who is a pastor and has been divorced from his wife for over a year now, had got angry at God and now lives a life of drugs, drinking, lying, and womanizing.

True character shows when your beliefs are challenged with in yourself.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2008, 11:53:36 AM »

'Hell House' Kits Selling Nationally
October 7, 1996

An Arvada, Colorado, Assemblies of God church that received national media attention last Halloween for its gruesome Hell House, is selling kits to churches around the country that want to duplicate the grizzly dramatization.

Hell House was criticized for its gory depictions of an abortion, a homosexual dying of AIDS , drunken driving, teen suicide, and hell. Critics, including the Colorado Council of Churches, condemned the scare tactics used in the presentation and the literal demonization of homosexuals and abortionists.

Keenan Roberts, youth pastor and director of Abundant Life Christian Center's Hell House, says the complaints are misdirected. "It's Romans 6:23 in contemporary packaging. 'The wages of sin is death,' " he says. Roberts, 30, developed an annual Hell House in Roswell, New Mexico, before moving to Denver.

Charging $5 for admission, the church made a $17,000 profit in last year's five-night presentation. This year, it is extending the run to 16 nights. Roberts says the church grew by 25 percent after last Halloween.

The 500-member church is selling Hell House kits for $149. Buyers get a 263-page manual, a video of the Denver Hell House, and a tape or compact disc with sound effects. The manual includes everything from a script to prop advice, including, "Do your very best to buy or purchase a meat product that will resemble as much as possible pieces of a baby that are being placed in the glass bowl for all to see."

So far, the church has sold 60 kits, which it spent $10,000 to produce.

http://www.ctlibrary.com/ct/1996/october7/6tb87a.html

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2008, 02:45:19 PM »
I have children, whom I intend to raise to have reverence for and to serve the Lord, as is my job as a Christian parent. What they do with that, later on in their lives, is up to them.

This is a typical response you get from some atheists, when you can cut through their profane tirades, get to the heart of their claims and statements, and then refute them handily, using facts and good ol' fashioned common sense.

you say common sense?

how about noahs ark? how could all the animals from different continents make it to the ark? would tigers swim across the ocean?

common sense is not on your side.

there is no hell, your god does not exist  and christianities tactic of scaring people with a conditionally loving god who burns you forever for some mistakes in life out of love is disgusting.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 02:56:01 PM »
MCWAY, when you say you're teaching your kids common sense, does that include teaching them to "Question everything"? Even the claims of your religion?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2008, 03:55:44 PM »
MCWAY, when you say you're teaching your kids common sense, does that include teaching them to "Question everything"? Even the claims of your religion?

I've already taught them that, and they've already asked questions about our beliefs!!

I've instructed them where to get the answers and helped put things into historical and religious perspective. And, as they have library cards, they can easily look up any information, should they not be satisfied with the information given to them by me.

In the end, they will remain with their faith or they won't. The former happening, however, is not automatically due to their lack of questioning.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »
Your best post EVER :)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2008, 04:12:46 PM »
you say common sense?

how about noahs ark? how could all the animals from different continents make it to the ark? would tigers swim across the ocean?

common sense is not on your side.

If my kids want info on that, they can simply refer to one of the books I bought a few years ago, Noah's Ark: A Feasibility Study

there is no hell, your god does not exist  and christianities tactic of scaring people with a conditionally loving god who burns you forever for some mistakes in life out of love is disgusting.

How do you go from the Ark to hell? You're back to your old emotional ranting again, Pole. Furthermore, contrary to the tail end of your spiel, you can't scare anybody into being a Christian. And, I'll go out on a major liimb and state that the Christians here (Loco, Stella, Beach Bum, etc.) DID NOT GIVE THEIR HEARTS TO THE LORD, JESUS CHRIST,out of fear of burning in hell (whether it "burns forever" or not).

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2008, 04:19:16 PM »
If my kids want info on that, they can simply refer to one of the books I bought a few years ago, Noah's Ark: A Feasibility Study

How do you go from the Ark to hell? You're back to your old emotional ranting again, Pole. Furthermore, contrary to the tail end of your spiel, you can't scare anybody into being a Christian. And, I'll go out on a major liimb and state that the Christians here (Loco, Stella, Beach Bum, etc.) DID NOT GIVE THEIR HEARTS TO THE LORD, JESUS CHRIST,out of fear of burning in hell (whether it "burns forever" or not).

Pretty safe limb.   :)

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »
And, I'll go out on a major liimb and state that the Christians here (Loco, Stella, Beach Bum, etc.) DID NOT GIVE THEIR HEARTS TO THE LORD, JESUS CHRIST,out of fear of burning in hell (whether it "burns forever" or not).

That may be true  but I guarantee that they would be scared to drop jesus at this point in their life fearing what would happen if they did.  It's already burned in if that makes sense.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2008, 05:08:43 PM »
That's why the Jesuit said, "Give me the child for his first seven years, and I'll give you the man."

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2008, 05:12:28 PM »

lies.

they are afraid of their finite existence and are looking for a way out, when there is none.

nothing you say makes sense without twisting the truth. your acceptance of jesus is epiphenominal to your fear of death and the consequences of a godless existence.

you fear the truth, and using your mind.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2008, 08:36:03 PM »
lies.

they are afraid of their finite existence and are looking for a way out, when there is none.

nothing you say makes sense without twisting the truth. your acceptance of jesus is epiphenominal to your fear of death and the consequences of a godless existence.

Excellent post. Yes, fear of death and oblivion is key to virtually all believers.

I hate the State.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2008, 10:45:20 PM »
Excellent post. Yes, fear of death and oblivion is key to virtually all believers.

i figure i didnt mind being dead for the first 6 billion years i was dead so it wont matter much when i die.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2008, 10:56:09 PM »
i figure i didnt mind being dead for the first 6 billion years i was dead so it wont matter much when i die.
u would have to be alive first to be dead.

Some real geniuses around here  ::)
follow the arrows

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2008, 11:08:32 PM »

Well, I think you missed the point of his post. If he had written that it didn't matter that he did not exist the last 6 billion years so it won't matter that he won't after he is dead you could not have criticised him in the least.
I hate the State.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2008, 11:13:19 PM »

im eternal ;D

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2008, 09:26:55 AM »
lies.

You would never get any true Christian to admit that.   That would cheapen salvation. 

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2008, 04:03:18 PM »
You terrorize them with Tales of Hell after they find their Christmass presents the 1st time and realise there is no SANTA!!!!!!

How else you gona get a 5yr old to behave!  ::)

THis new scare Seems to last for now.... ;D

ANyone got another that works after this one wears out Pm me.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2008, 04:15:44 PM »
You terrorize them with Tales of Hell after they find their Christmass presents the 1st time and realise there is no SANTA!!!!!!

How else you gona get a 5yr old to behave!  ::)

THis new scare Seems to last for now.... ;D

ANyone got another that works after this one wears out Pm me.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2008, 04:37:21 PM »

Yeah, but
THey teach that damn 911 thing so early these days... >:(