Author Topic: bodybuilding nutrition- beginner question  (Read 2957 times)

pvn100

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
bodybuilding nutrition- beginner question
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:51:22 AM »

I'm 29...and after about 10 years of lifting, I think I'm starting to finally realize( and accept) that I will never grow unless I start eating properly. My problem is I am totally uneducated in this subject. There is a tremendous amount of good info on this site, but I'm wondering if anyone could recommend something, possibly a book, that really explains the basics of bodybuilding nutrition so I can start to learn. I see plenty of good books on lifting, but most only have a chapter or two on nutrition.
Your help is appreciated.

Pete
Allentown, Pa

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: bodybuilding nutrition- beginner question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:22:52 AM »
Lots of protein, veggies and slow carbs.

Chicken breast, lean steak, fish, milk for protein, brown rice, oatmeal, soba noodles for carbs.

Omega3 fatty acids as in fish oil. Lots of veggies.

these are the basic ingedients you should have.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 09:45:14 AM »
Okay heres the deal.

no matter what your body type(slow metabolism, fast metabolism), no matter what your goal is(build muscle, lose bodyfat), its all about protein. every meal you eat from no on is based around protein. this is never going to change. whether your dieting or bulking, whether you have a base metabolic rate of 1200 cals a day or 3500 cals a day.   

what deviates from this base rule is your amount of ENERGY calories that you will take in at every meal, every day.    energy calories are FATS, and CARBOHYDRATES. do not be scared of either of them.   you need SOME fats and SOME carbs everyday. if you have a fast metabolism, you will need a good amount of both, and you might need them at every meal. if you hav a slow metabolism, you will need a small amount of fats everyday, and you will be best off by "cycling" your carb intake...  that means you go one day "high" carbs, one day "moderate" carbs, and one day "low" carbs. then repeat.   again, what "high", "moderate", and "low" actually describe depends on your metabolism, if its a workout day or not, and what your fat intake is.    with minimal fats, an average metabolism, and a workout scheduled....your probably going to get aroound 250 grams of carbs on a "high" day, about 150 carbs on a "moderate" day, and on your "low" day you should probably stick to <50 grams of carbs...(excluding vegetables.)     

TIMING is of the greatest importance. eat protein EVERY three hours. eat some fibrous vegetables like broccoli or green beans or lettuce every time you eat some protein.  as for your energy calories(fats and carbs), you should space them out evenly, or even better, stack them into two areas where they are needed most= early morning and post workout.   

good sources of protein are= whey. boneless skinless chicken breasts, lean red meat, tuna, wild salmon, egg whites, and turkey.

good sources of carbohydrates are= sugar free low fat oatmeal, brown rice, and whole wheat bread&pasta.

good source of fats= fish oil. flax, almonds, sunflower seeds, avocados, olives, and sometimes all natural peanut butter.

lots of water. lots of water. lots of water.   when you get a craving, go wild on fibrous vegetables and lean protein like boneless skinless chicken breasts.

as far as workout supplementation, drink a whey protein shake before, during, and after your workouts. you only need about 10 grams per serving. buy some creatine monohydrate if you can, and put 5 grams into each of those shakes. if you have a fast metabolism, youd do yourself good to throw in some waxy maize carbohydrate into those shakes as well.

you need a solid multi-vitamin, if you can afford it "animal pack" really is a solid product thats worth the money.

other than that....kick ass in the gym and get as much sleep as you can.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 10:19:34 AM »
There you go, you don't need a book, Candi just wrote one for you.  :-\

To answer your question, there are lots of great books on basic nutrition and I suggest getting some that are an "easier read". Some can get pretty technical.

The Metabolic Diet
By: Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale, M.D.

Game Over
By: Chuck Rudolph MEd, RD
With Marc Lobliner and Derek Charlebois

The Bodybuilder's Nutrition Book
by Franco Columbu (Author)

Or go to Borders, browse some books that will be an easier read, no need for a College Text Book type. Amazon will always have good book deals too...

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 10:19:45 AM »
Okay heres the deal.

no matter what your body type(slow metabolism, fast metabolism), no matter what your goal is(build muscle, lose bodyfat), its all about protein. every meal you eat from no on is based around protein. this is never going to change. whether your dieting or bulking, whether you have a base metabolic rate of 1200 cals a day or 3500 cals a day.   

what deviates from this base rule is your amount of ENERGY calories that you will take in at every meal, every day.    energy calories are FATS, and CARBOHYDRATES. do not be scared of either of them.   you need SOME fats and SOME carbs everyday. if you have a fast metabolism, you will need a good amount of both, and you might need them at every meal. if you hav a slow metabolism, you will need a small amount of fats everyday, and you will be best off by "cycling" your carb intake...  that means you go one day "high" carbs, one day "moderate" carbs, and one day "low" carbs. then repeat.   again, what "high", "moderate", and "low" actually describe depends on your metabolism, if its a workout day or not, and what your fat intake is.    with minimal fats, an average metabolism, and a workout scheduled....your probably going to get aroound 250 grams of carbs on a "high" day, about 150 carbs on a "moderate" day, and on your "low" day you should probably stick to <50 grams of carbs...(excluding vegetables.)     

TIMING is of the greatest importance. eat protein EVERY three hours. eat some fibrous vegetables like broccoli or green beans or lettuce every time you eat some protein.  as for your energy calories(fats and carbs), you should space them out evenly, or even better, stack them into two areas where they are needed most= early morning and post workout.   

good sources of protein are= whey. boneless skinless chicken breasts, lean red meat, tuna, wild salmon, egg whites, and turkey.

good sources of carbohydrates are= sugar free low fat oatmeal, brown rice, and whole wheat bread&pasta.

good source of fats= fish oil. flax, almonds, sunflower seeds, avocados, olives, and sometimes all natural peanut butter.

lots of water. lots of water. lots of water.   when you get a craving, go wild on fibrous vegetables and lean protein like boneless skinless chicken breasts.

as far as workout supplementation, drink a whey protein shake before, during, and after your workouts. you only need about 10 grams per serving. buy some creatine monohydrate if you can, and put 5 grams into each of those shakes. if you have a fast metabolism, youd do yourself good to throw in some waxy maize carbohydrate into those shakes as well.

you need a solid multi-vitamin, if you can afford it "animal pack" really is a solid product thats worth the money.

other than that....kick ass in the gym and get as much sleep as you can.

good advices.  

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 10:24:33 AM »
Y U hatin', busyb? is there something wrong with helping out someone too much?

come on pal.. give me a break.    if theres nothing wrong with what i gave as advice; then why attack what i gave?

okay, enough of me being a whiny little biatch..   just for getbig.com's sake

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 10:38:57 AM »
Y U hatin', busyb? is there something wrong with helping out someone too much?

come on pal.. give me a break.    if theres nothing wrong with what i gave as advice; then why attack what i gave?

okay, enough of me being a whiny little biatch..   just for getbig.com's sake

fuck you and your mother!

Listen here you little shit stain, all I said is that you wrote a book. Settle the fuck down.

You gave ok advice, I was only kidding and you better watch your mouth with the mom refernces.

He asked for book references so I gave that to him.

At least you know you are a whiny little bitch!

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 11:02:06 AM »
guys guys....come on now....

chill out

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 11:06:55 AM »
guys guys....come on now....

chill out

Fuck that, he is so defensive if anyone says one thing about him. I was never "hatin" and have tried to talk sense into this little spoiled shit in the past. Re-read the post and I just said he wrote a book.

Uncalled for the mom references. Not that it matters to anyone here, she is quite sick right now so I am a bit defensive for that matter.

Better hope I never see him in public.

cht868

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 11:37:39 AM »
wo there guys, no need to fight the monitor, this is make belief land

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 12:11:01 PM »
AAAHHHH Haaaa haaa!! 235 lbs of napeleon complex, uh huh sure that is me  ;)

See you soon son, be looking over your shoulder punk.
oh fo sho

looking forward to what is never going to occur,

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 12:33:18 PM »
AAAHHHH Haaaa haaa!! 235 lbs of napeleon complex, uh huh sure that is me  ;)

See you soon son, be looking over your shoulder punk.
oh shit!!!!!!!!!!!! you just fuccked up big time!!!!!!!! you just challenged this absolute tank to a fight, what are you gonna do, aren't you terrified? ;D

kukacomone

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 12:40:05 PM »
wow strong e fight

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 12:50:55 PM »
can you imagine having to face that absolute beast in real life? i mean shit, there's got to be 146 pounds of muscle under those 4 shirts to deal with, talk about POWER. :o

this all is coming from a dude with a double chin that resembles an infected turkey gobbler.  Please disregard.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 12:53:20 PM »
squad displaying extreme wit. ::)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 12:57:15 PM »
hahhaa, do you ever get lactation marks on your size smedium Abercrombie t shirts, Milk boy? :D

and again, squatfattest displaying extreme wit.  I would actually bet money youre crying right now.

pvn100

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 12:59:20 PM »

Thanks guys...sorry, didn't mean to start a war. I do appreciate the advice and the suggested books, though.

Pete

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 12:59:48 PM »
and again, squatfattest displaying extreme wit.  I would actually bet money youre crying right now.
hahaha, crying in laughter maybe at the sight of these enourmous breasts, hahahaaa, moooooooooooooooo. ;D

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 01:00:15 PM »
12th posting

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 01:02:24 PM »
guys, nutrition board is one of the few serious ones on here. please take your fighting somewhere else... start a thread on the v board and fight there:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?board=41.0

im sure if you make a thread asking about advice you dont wanna go there to see 15 outta 20 replies is fighting  :)
Z

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 02:09:54 PM »
I do apologize and should not let this little man get to me. I did not start this fight and sick of his immaturity when someone makes a comment regarding his posts.

When you attck my mom, who is sick, that is where I draw the line.

Did not mean to lash out so I am man enough to say, sorry Candi. I will give you a pass this time.  :'(

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 02:13:53 PM »
busyb i apologize as well. my original attack against your mother was not supposed to be serious, but once you reacted to it i jumped all over the oppurtunity to get you to "meltdown"...after hearing  that she is sick i truly feel like an asshole.   

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 02:17:04 PM »
I don't meltdown much nor start fights so there ya' go. That is my anger quota for the year.

No worries, just defensive of moms.  :)

azjima

• Getbig I
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 07:43:03 PM »

go wild on fibrous vegetables and lean protein like boneless skinless chicken breasts.

Other than Broccoli  can someone suggest additional fibrous vegtables please?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 08:00:47 PM »
Other than Broccoli  can someone suggest additional fibrous vegtables please?

Alfalfa Sprouts
Artichokes
Asparagus
Bamboo Shoots
Bok Choy (Chinese Cabbage)
Broccoflower
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Carrots
Collard Greens
Eggplant
Green Beans
Green leafy vegetables (not iceberg lettuce)
Kale
Leeks
Mushrooms
Okra
Onions
Parsnips
Rutabaga
Spinach
Summer Squash
Turnips
Turnip Greens
Watercress