Author Topic: In dire need of frontcourt help, Lakers acquire Gasol from Grizzlies  (Read 5328 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
I am elated.  :)  Nice job Mitch Kuphak. 

In dire need of frontcourt help, Lakers acquire Gasol from Grizzlies
Associated Press

Updated: February 1, 2008, 8:02 PM ET

Pau Gasol Traded To The LakersTORONTO -- The Los Angeles Lakers bolstered their banged-up frontline Friday with a key acquisition -- 7-footer Pau Gasol of the Memphis Grizzlies.

"It shows a great deal of commitment from the organization," All-Star Kobe Bryant said before the Lakers' game at Toronto. "It's a great step.

"It's a matter of us just gelling now and putting it together," added Bryant, who urged management to improve the team over the summer. "We've got a great bench. We have a lot of length, a lot of versatility. Now it's time to walk the walk."

The Lakers gave up Kwame Brown, rookie Javaris Crittenton and two first-round draft picks for Gasol. The Spaniard is certain to help a Lakers team reeling from recent injuries to inside players, including blossoming center Andrew Bynum.

"We need a little scoring inside without Andrew Bynum," coach Phil Jackson said. "It gives us a post-up threat right now, and he's a good passer. We like that."

Jackson said Gasol could make his debut when the Lakers visit Washington on Sunday.

"We'd like him to play on Sunday," Jackson said. "I don't know if that's possible or not. He's got to go back to L.A. and have a physical tomorrow."

Gasol, averaging 18.9 points, 8.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1.44 blocked shots in 39 games this season, can fill in at center until Bynum returns in mid-March, then move to power forward.

"He's a great player," forward Lamar Odom said. "With him and Andrew down there, I'm really excited to see how that works out. We'll protect the basket a little bit more. I'm looking forward to seeing those guys playing together."

Gasol One Great Grizzly

The Memphis Grizzlies don't have a lot of history (they've only been in the NBA since 1996), but Pau Gasol was likely their all-time best player. Gasol's trade Friday from Memphis to the L.A. Lakers leaves the Grizzlies with a big hole on offense and his name etched in the team's record books in several places. Here's a look: 
  Rank in Grizzlies' history
Points  8,966 First
Rebounds 4,096 First
Blocks 877 First
Assists 1,473 Third

The Grizzlies will get the Lakers' first-round draft choices in 2008 and 2010; guard Aaron McKie, signed earlier Friday for salary cap purposes; cash considerations, and the rights to Gasol's brother Marc, a 2007 second-round pick of Los Angeles.

"That's something you haven't seen before," Jackson said with a chuckle.

The Lakers also receive the Grizzlies' second-round pick in 2010.

Gasol, the NBA Rookie of the Year in 2002 and an All-Star four years later, has averaged 18.8 points, 8.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 476 career games with Memphis. The 27-year-old forward-center, under contract for three more years, is the franchise leader in 12 statistical categories, including points, rebounds and blocks.

But the Grizzlies, 13-33 after finishing with the league's worst record last season, decided to clear salary cap space knowing they aren't in position to win in the next couple of years.

"We're a 13-win team, so when you're in that situation, you've got to make moves," Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace said. "Brown was the largest expiring contact we could find in the league where we also got back an attractive young player like Crittenton ... and multiple first-round picks."

Gasol was the MVP of the 2006 world championships after helping Spain win the gold medal.

Additionally, a Grizzlies source told The Commercial Appeal of Memphis that forward Stromile Swift has been traded to the New Jersey Nets for center Jason Collins.

According to the newspaper, the deal had been discussed for the past week and is expected to be finalized on Monday.

"I have to take my hat off to [owner Jerry] Buss and Mitch for going forward with this," Bryant said. "Now it's up to us to go out there and work hard."

Odom said he feels "the sky is the limit" for the new-look Lakers.

"We felt like we could compete for a championship with the team we had," Odom said. "With this addition, hopefully that dream comes true."

The Lakers were one of the NBA's best teams before the 20-year-old Bynum injured his left knee Jan. 13 against Memphis, coincidentally. Los Angeles had a 28-16 record entering Friday night's game at Toronto but had lost five of eight since Bynum was injured.

Center Chris Mihm has been sidelined with right ankle problems for several weeks; forward Trevor Ariza broke his right foot in practice Jan. 20 and is expected to be out until mid-March, and forward Luke Walton was day-to-day with a right hip pointer. Jackson said Walton would dress Friday but might not play.

Bryant said his first thoughts upon hearing of the trade were for his teammates heading the other way.

"Javaris was like a little brother to me," Bryant said. "I tried to mentor him as much as I could. Kwame, he's been through a lot of ups and downs but he has a great heart."

Brown has been filling in at center since Bynum was injured, but the first overall pick in the draft by Washington in 2001 has been a significant drop-off from Bynum. Brown, earning $9.1 million this season in the final year of his contract, is averaging 5.7 points and 5.7 rebounds in 23 games. He has averaged 7.6 points and 5.7 rebounds in 389 games with the Wizards and Lakers.

Crittenton, the 19th overall pick in the draft last summer, averaged 3.3 points in 22 games for the Lakers. He was expendable because of the fine play by second-year guard Jordan Farmar as a backup to Derek Fisher. The 20-year-old Crittenton averaged 14.4 points and 5.8 assists as a freshman at Georgia Tech last season.

Marc Gasol, the 48th overall pick in the 2007 draft, is playing for Akasvayu Girona in Spain. The Gasol brothers were members of the Spanish national team in 2006. The younger Gasol is 23 and a 7-1, 280-pounder.

McKie, a 13-year veteran, played in 10 games for the Lakers last season and hasn't played this season. He is expected to be released by the Grizzlies. He has averaged 7.4 points and 2.7 assists for Portland, Detroit, Philadelphia and the Lakers.

The Lakers also signed backup center DJ Mbenga to a second 10-day contract. The 7-footer from the Congo signed his first 10-day contract Jan. 21 and averaged 1.5 points and 1.5 rebounds in four games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3226203

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
Re: In dire need of frontcourt help, Lakers acquire Gasol from Grizzlies
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 10:19:55 PM »
That is a great pickup by the Lakers. That makes them tough to beat once Bynum gets back.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 07:45:20 AM »
you'll regret it when former #1 pick Kwame Brown becomes an international  mega star. It's a matter of time.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 11:17:35 AM »
Before last season Phil gave Kwame a piece of paper that said "15 and 10."  I don't think he will ever average that much.  He is averaging 5 and 5 this year.  Very good low post defender, but that's about it.  Worst hands in the NBA.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 01:45:25 PM »
 :D

Around the league, the reaction of executives and coaches was unanimous: What a nightmare for us. When reached with the news, one Western Conference executive said simply, “Are you kidding? (Expletive) me.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjiuUd_JOc46O8JHK3_sfiW8vLYF?slug=aw-gasollakers020108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 06:19:21 PM »
Lakers now have the best record in the West, by a hair.  They went from playoff bubble team to championship contender with this trade.  Can't wait for Bynum to return. 

CARTEL

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 10:47:40 PM »
My Spurs just went from the over the hill gang to number one in the West  :)

I have a feeling #1 in the west is going to change on a weekly basis. The West is stacked.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 09:09:26 AM »
Lakers just droped about a half game behind the Spurs, but that might change by the time I'm done typing this. . . .  Big game against Dallas on Sunday. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 09:24:04 AM »

I watched Houston play last night.  Those guys are ready, even without Yao.

body88

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 10:11:57 AM »
Celts beat the Piston the other night, and they still have the best record in the NBA.... Rondo has emerged as a great talent, and Casel will give the celts the one vet player they needed to come in for Rondo if he gets into foul trouble. How about Big baby? I love Big Baby - the guy's a beast!

Celts are legit contenders to win it all, and they can beat the best from the west. Not saying they will, but they can. They want it bad, and Garnett will lead them to the promise land!

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 10:21:23 AM »
I was looking at the Western Conference standings and I noticed that the top 9 teams in the west could possibly win 50 or more games this year.

That is incredible! Denver is 12 games over .500 and is currently 9th in the standings.

1 San Antonio 43 17 .717
2 LA Lakers    43 18 .705 ½
3 New Orleans 41 19 .683 2
4 Utah           40 22 .645 4
5 Houston      41 20 .672 2 ½
6 Phoenix       40 21 .656 3 ½
7 Dallas          39 23 .629 5
8 Golden State 37 23 .617 6

9 Denver         36 24 .600

Could you imagine if Denver won 50 games and finished out ofthe playoffs? Definitely an NBA first. 9 teams winning at least 60% of their games.

Body88, I don't know if Boston could beat the best of the West. No question a West team wins the title this year. Stacked!

body88

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 02:03:16 PM »
I was looking at the Western Conference standings and I noticed that the top 9 teams in the west could possibly win 50 or more games this year.

That is incredible! Denver is 12 games over .500 and is currently 9th in the standings.

1 San Antonio 43 17 .717
2 LA Lakers    43 18 .705 ½
3 New Orleans 41 19 .683 2
4 Utah           40 22 .645 4
5 Houston      41 20 .672 2 ½
6 Phoenix       40 21 .656 3 ½
7 Dallas          39 23 .629 5
8 Golden State 37 23 .617 6

9 Denver         36 24 .600

Could you imagine if Denver won 50 games and finished out ofthe playoffs? Definitely an NBA first. 9 teams winning at least 60% of their games.

Body88, I don't know if Boston could beat the best of the West. No question a West team wins the title this year. Stacked!

Boston has done quit well against the west this year - ( a lot of the time missing Garnett with the ab injury). The Celtics can play with anyone , and they do hjave the best record in the NBA.The Casel deal filled the one hole the celts had other teams could exploit ; Rondo does not have to worry about foul trouble as much anymore...

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 02:11:51 PM »
Boston has done quit well against the west this year - ( a lot of the time missing Garnett with the ab injury). The Celtics can play with anyone , and they do hjave the best record in the NBA.The Casel deal filled the one hole the celts had other teams could exploit ; Rondo does not have to worry about foul trouble as much anymore...

Body88, I've revised my earlier comment!

Put the Celtics in the Western Conference, they'd be at least 12-15 wins worse at this point. With all the big men in the West? All that inside offense under the basket in the West? Who does the East have beside Dwight Howard? Defending all those big teams over a full NBA schedule?

body88

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 02:14:20 PM »
Put the Celtics in the Western Conference, they'd be 10 wins worse at this point.

Not in my opinion; how often you watch the celtics? The celts have done very good against the west this year, before the KG injury they where 16 - 0 vs the west. Did you watch the pistons game last week? The celtics can play with anyone, and they will contend for a title this year - (IMO)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 09:53:03 AM »
Boston is definitely a contender.  Body is right about how they've done against the West (although they beat the Lakers before the Gasol trade).  Boston also handled the Pistons pretty well. 

But I'm still a Celtics hater.   :)

I think the Lakers are the favorite at this point.  If they come out of the West they'll be a better battle tested team than anyone from the East.  In fact, I think that's true of any team that come out of the West. 

I think N.O. is a dark horse.  That Chris Paul is an amazing player. 

Looking forward to L.A. playing Houston.  How in the world has Houston won 17 in a row??

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 04:38:54 PM »
How in the world has Houston won 17 in a row??
yeah, is there defense? or offence?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 10:12:56 PM »
yeah, is there defense? or offence?

Not sure.  I haven't really watched them play.  They play the Lakers in the next week or so.  I'll watch that one. 

CARTEL

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 10:04:37 PM »

I think the Lakers are the favorite at this point. 

I disagree to a certain extent. I don't really think you could pick a favorite in the West right now. It's just too deep. And I don't think anyone wants to go up against Houston, NO, or Utah.

Not in my opinion; how often you watch the celtics? The celts have done very good against the west this year, before the KG injury they where 16 - 0 vs the west. Did you watch the pistons game last week? The celtics can play with anyone, and they will contend for a title this year - (IMO)

The Celts can play with anyone and they definitely could win the whole thing but their record would be worse if they were in the West. They would have to play more back to backs against the top teams a lot more than now. It is tough.

And I'm not sure they can get past Cleveland in a series.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 12:42:52 AM »
i wouldnt bet against lebron!! he is jordanesque, crap teammates but he can beat a whole team by himself, including celtics..i know im crazy, but i have seen him play the last 6 games his a machine

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 06:39:34 AM »
Triple double the other night--7th of the season.

Lebron's numbers this year are just sick. I'm willing to bet that within the next five seasons, Lebron will average a triple double for the season. Hasn't been done since the big O, Oscar Robertson did it.

Hell, he's not that far off now. Almost 31 ppg, 8 rebs, 7.4 assists.

I think he wins MVP this year, hands down. Kobe a close second.

Lebron is only scratching the surface of his potential. Only 23 years old and will be twice as good in another 2 or 3 years. His only weakness is inconsistent free throw shooting.(only 71%)--Once he gets up to around 80% he will avaerage close to 40 points a game.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 06:47:50 AM »
i wouldnt bet against lebron!! he is jordanesque, crap teammates but he can beat a whole team by himself, including celtics..i know im crazy, but i have seen him play the last 6 games his a machine

You're not crazy. His performance against the Pistons last year in he playoffs was one of the greatest postseason performances off all time.

He can carry the load now because he's young, but he's going to need some help soon to get to the next level. But is he willing to sacrifice that next huge contract extension in order to allow the Cavs to spend money on free agents in the future? Look what happended to Garnett in Minn when he signed that huge contract for 122 mil 9 years ago. The Wolves could never spend money to help KG out.

Is Lebron willing to curb his ego for a huge contract in order to get the help he needs? What's going to be more important to Lebron? Getting paid or winning it all? Shit, he makes more than enough money in endorsements outside of the NBA.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 12:02:09 PM »
I disagree to a certain extent. I don't really think you could pick a favorite in the West right now. It's just too deep. And I don't think anyone wants to go up against Houston, NO, or Utah.

Can't really argue with you.  I don't think anyone wants to play the Lakers either.  When they get Bynum and Ariza back they'll be the deepest and most talented team in the NBA IMO. 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 01:34:48 PM »
Can't really argue with you.  I don't think anyone wants to play the Lakers either.  When they get Bynum and Ariza back they'll be the deepest and most talented team in the NBA IMO. 
I dont think bynum has a shot to do anything this year, his been out for ages and just started on a treadmill, his young , so he should heal well, but as far as making a impact this season i dont think so, and gasol is doing just fine

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 01:39:02 PM »
You're not crazy. His performance against the Pistons last year in he playoffs was one of the greatest postseason performances off all time.

He can carry the load now because he's young, but he's going to need some help soon to get to the next level. But is he willing to sacrifice that next huge contract extension in order to allow the Cavs to spend money on free agents in the future? Look what happended to Garnett in Minn when he signed that huge contract for 122 mil 9 years ago. The Wolves could never spend money to help KG out.

Is Lebron willing to curb his ego for a huge contract in order to get the help he needs? What's going to be more important to Lebron? Getting paid or winning it all? Shit, he makes more than enough money in endorsements outside of the NBA.
I know thats a lot of cash, i remember Shaq signed with miami for $100M for 5 years, thats a lots of dough, but check this, 50 cent made 100M in one year on the Vitamin water deal! and does like $10-15M on concerts per year
the potential to make money with endorsements is crazy.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 02:09:20 PM »
I dont think bynum has a shot to do anything this year, his been out for ages and just started on a treadmill, his young , so he should heal well, but as far as making a impact this season i dont think so, and gasol is doing just fine

Not sure I agree.  He probably won't be as dominant as he was before the injury, but if he can play 18 to 20 minutes he'll be a huge help.