Author Topic: Tonys training log  (Read 87145 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: Tonys training log
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2008, 08:38:54 PM »
thank you sir one of these days maybe ill put up half the weight you do

maybe?

you're mind fucking yourself... you need the I WILL and I CAN attitude... hahaha 

all you gotta do is put in your time.. and find what works! We all gotta start somewhere! And you jus tlike magoo are on a damn scary pace! Holy shit if i ever get hurt I'll be bitching in your logs while you guys blow by me HAHA

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2008, 08:35:31 PM »
LOL wicked you would have to be out for about 2 yrs for me to catch up, your a strong bastard 8)

Back
Pullovers with cambered BB
80x12
90x10

Deadlifts:
warm ups
135x5
225x5
Work sets:
345x12
405x8 (had to put the weight down at 4 to regrip) shazaaaam that was one of my goals even though i regripped
445x5 (Again i put the weight down at 3 and regripped this time i took a 3 sec break or so)

Reverse grip pull downs on hammer strength
220x12
240x10
260x8

BB rows
175x12
205x10
225x8

Lat pulls
215x12
230x10
245x8

sit ups: 3 sets of 20

cardio: 30 mins at 10degree incline at 2.5 mph

Notes: The 345 on the deads was cake, but i wasnt sure if i could get the 405 for 8, if my grip was better i think i could have got it without stopping but im not sure about the 445 straight through. Man im not sure if its b/c im tired from the deads or if it just the BB rows but i swear i almost pass out when standing up after each set.
Notes

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2008, 08:41:52 PM »
LIKING THEM DEADLIFTS MAN!

the trick to getting an extra rep or two with heavier shit in the deads is...

1. PULL FASTER! the faster you go the more force you generate making the lift EASIER!
2. Do less warming up to it.. i jump from 315 to 500 when pulling...everything in between is a waste. You could cut a few sets out and do more heavy work
3. DON'T GIVE UP! SOooooooooo many people give up halfway through a pull they could complete..get ahold of it and don't let go until your grip goes or you go down with the bar!  ;D

you'll only eat dirt a few times..after that you'll make the lifts instead!  ;D

great work man.. .love to see people pulling big numbers!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2008, 09:10:02 PM »
LIKING THEM DEADLIFTS MAN!

the trick to getting an extra rep or two with heavier shit in the deads is...

1. PULL FASTER! the faster you go the more force you generate making the lift EASIER!
2. Do less warming up to it.. i jump from 315 to 500 when pulling...everything in between is a waste. You could cut a few sets out and do more heavy work
3. DON'T GIVE UP! SOooooooooo many people give up halfway through a pull they could complete..get ahold of it and don't let go until your grip goes or you go down with the bar!  ;D

you'll only eat dirt a few times..after that you'll make the lifts instead!  ;D

great work man.. .love to see people pulling big numbers!
Thank you for your advice, ya i was thinking today man i could probably hit 480 or so for 5 if didnt do as much before hand, i really think my grip makes my deads suffer when im using heavier weights, I should really start doing forearms. LOL on the set of 405 it wasnt all that bad but when i put it down and regripped and lifted my first thought was fvck thats heavy.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2008, 09:12:34 PM »
Thank you for your advice, ya i was thinking today man i could probably hit 480 or so for 5 if didnt do as much before hand, i really think my grip makes my deads suffer when im using heavier weights, I should really start doing forearms. LOL on the set of 405 it wasnt all that bad but when i put it down and regripped and lifted my first thought was fvck thats heavy.

working forearms and grip are two different things..if you want to better your grip but work... use chalk for one..play wiht your grip..

doulbe over hand...hook grip..over under, etc and find which one you like best. over under is usually the best for pulling imho.

train until your grip fails..then use straps. TRAIN TIL IT FAILS!

i'm a deadlift freak man..i love pulling. if you have to regrip that's fine..just regrip and rip it again. The faster you get going and polish it the easier it will be. Just do'nt jerk the weight..jerking it will make you pay for it eventually.

if you want..post a video and we'll critique!

be sure to point your toes out too and that your grip isn't too wide..the wider it is the farther you have to pull it up. pointing your toes out helps lock your hips out.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2008, 09:21:48 PM »
working forearms and grip are two different things..if you want to better your grip but work... use chalk for one..play wiht your grip..

doulbe over hand...hook grip..over under, etc and find which one you like best. over under is usually the best for pulling imho.

train until your grip fails..then use straps. TRAIN TIL IT FAILS!

i'm a deadlift freak man..i love pulling. if you have to regrip that's fine..just regrip and rip it again. The faster you get going and polish it the easier it will be. Just do'nt jerk the weight..jerking it will make you pay for it eventually.

if you want..post a video and we'll critique!

be sure to point your toes out too and that your grip isn't too wide..the wider it is the farther you have to pull it up. pointing your toes out helps lock your hips out.
I never thought about it like that but your right grip and forearms arent necissarily the same.
when i was younger i used an over/under grip but its probably just my imagination but i started to see an imbalance in my back and went to an over/over. Man i would love to use chalk but i doubt 24hour would like that shit. Ive been experimenting with my feet and ya i gotta say the feet pointed slightly out is the best thats what i used tonight and it really does make a difference, for me for some reason the lockout isnt the sticking point its the beginning once it gets past the knees im money. Ill see if i can get a video i dont own a video camera but maybe i can borrow my bros digital one and take a clip..

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2008, 10:29:12 AM »
as the grip nuts say, there's a difference between static grip and crushing grip. being able to MOVE weight with the forearms is different than being able to hold it with a full squeeze.

my "forearm strength" is pretty shit but i can hold onto 655 with no straps. not fantastic, but it means that my grip is never an issue when pulling.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2008, 06:32:44 PM »
as the grip nuts say, there's a difference between static grip and crushing grip. being able to MOVE weight with the forearms is different than being able to hold it with a full squeeze.

my "forearm strength" is pretty shit but i can hold onto 655 with no straps. not fantastic, but it means that my grip is never an issue when pulling.
LOL I dont think i could move 655 with or without straps 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2008, 06:43:10 PM »
Chest
internal/external shoulder rotations: 2 sets of 20 for each direction on each arm

Incline BB press
135x5
235x12
355x10
270x8 got a spot on the last 2

Flat BB press
135x5
255x12
275x10
280x8 got a spot on the last 2

Incline DB flys
35x12
40x10
45x8

Flat DB flys
40x12
45x10
50x8

Leg raises

Notes: Ive been stagnant a little on chest but i worked out with a friend who i knew would spot me right today and i think it made a difference. The inclines were about the same although i went up 5lbs i had to be spotted on it to get my goal. The flats however felt great, i think if i put these first i could rep around 300 but thats ok, feels good to make gains even if there only 5lbs

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2008, 08:27:04 PM »
Quads and Hams

Squats:
135x5
295x12
315x10
335x8

SLDL's
135x5
225x12
245x10
265x8

Superset leg extensions and Lying ham curls
130x12
145x10
160x8

100x12
110x10
120x8

Notes: I was pretty rushed b/c the gym closed at 10 and i got there about 8:40 or so after my warm up i only had about an hour...I think I really need to change up the order a bit b/c the squats followed by the SLDL's is killer. I had to run to the gym right after i got done eating today so maybe it was that but i really felt like i was gonna puke after the sets of sldl's. I should have done calves with chest but ill hit them tomorrow with shoulders. If you guys have any ideas of leg routines or just changing the order let me know. 8)

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2008, 08:31:25 PM »
since its ideal to hit calves more frequently u can hit 'em upwith other bodyparts as well, w/ legs on one day and chest the other... something like that.
follow the arrows

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2008, 08:33:53 PM »
DAMN GOOD WORKOUT for that kinda time man! way to bust ass in the gym!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2008, 09:01:22 PM »
since its ideal to hit calves more frequently u can hit 'em upwith other bodyparts as well, w/ legs on one day and chest the other... something like that.
ya i always mean to hit them with chest and then again with shoulders or arms but always end up hitting them only once a week >:( i either puss out or just plain forget

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2008, 09:03:17 PM »
DAMN GOOD WORKOUT for that kinda time man! way to bust ass in the gym!

Thanks Wicked ;D

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2008, 09:11:08 PM »
ya i always mean to hit them with chest and then again with shoulders or arms but always end up hitting them only once a week >:( i either puss out or just plain forget
hahah, I hear ya man, calves are the most neglected bodypart for me...just start the workout with them man and u wont forget  ;)
follow the arrows

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2008, 09:31:31 PM »
hahah, I hear ya man, calves are the most neglected bodypart for me...just start the workout with them man and u wont forget  ;)
lol ya i usually try and do them inbetween chest exercises or quad and ham exercises to get a little break for the other muscles, but ya calves and abs are my most neglected parts although ive gotten alot better on abs

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2008, 09:34:32 PM »
lol ya i usually try and do them inbetween chest exercises or quad and ham exercises to get a little break for the other muscles, but ya calves and abs are my most neglected parts although ive gotten alot better on abs
might as well start out with it, the exercises are nto draining.. and since they're neglected anyway u might as well ofcus on 'em a little.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2008, 09:35:11 PM »
might as well... might as well... might as well...

I'm too lazy to edit that  ;D
follow the arrows

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2008, 04:47:05 PM »
dude, 405x8 and 445x5? jeezus. that's fucking CRAZY, man. good work. and just THINKING about squatting 295x12 made my stomach turn.  :-X

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2008, 09:51:20 PM »
Shoulders

H-rolls
15x12
10x15
10x5 - ok these made me feel like i huge puss over there with the 10 pounders.

Db shoulder presses
75x12
80x10
85x8 - felt pretty good I probably could have gone 90's but my form would have sucked for sure

Lateral Raises with Db's
32.5x12
37.5x10
42.5x7 - For some reason I cant seem to get the weight to go up on these but I can move up on the machine lat raises

Reverse Flys with Db's
25x10 lying on incline bench and 5 more standing
30x6 lying on incline bench and 6 more standing
35x10 all standing

Seated calf raises
70x20
90x18
115x15
140x10 dropped to 90 and got 10 more

Arnold presses
55x12
60x10
65x8

Lat raises on machine supersetted with reverse flys on a pec deck
110x12
120x10
130x8

100x12
120x10
140x10

Sit ups: 3 sets of 20

Cardio: 30 mins on treadmill at 9 degree incline at 2.5 mph

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2008, 02:47:19 PM »
if you can't feel it with the DBs, don't bother. do extra work elsewhere. the important thing is to do what you know is getting something done.

nice job on the shoulder pressing, too. i see you do the "round robin" idea of front-middle-rear/front-middle-rear like i used to. great shit for putting size on.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »
if you can't feel it with the DBs, don't bother. do extra work elsewhere. the important thing is to do what you know is getting something done.

nice job on the shoulder pressing, too. i see you do the "round robin" idea of front-middle-rear/front-middle-rear like i used to. great shit for putting size on.

QFT! the hobbit is right on this one... LOL JK ZACH

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2008, 02:50:07 PM »
QFT! the hobbit is right on this one... LOL JK ZACH

ahaha, you're an ass, ass.  ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2008, 02:51:54 PM »
ahaha, you're an ass, ass.  ;D

at this p oint..not having touched a weight in two days wiht a few more to go..i'm venting my frustrations by picking fights!  ;D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2008, 02:53:04 PM »
at this p oint..not having touched a weight in two days wiht a few more to go..i'm venting my frustrations by picking fights!  ;D

yeah, if you don't get back in there, you might only be deadlifting 700 pounds!