Poll

4 (28.6%)
10 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: The Beast's 2008 Contest Thread  (Read 84293 times)

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
Re: The Beast's 2008 Contest Thread
« Reply #225 on: March 19, 2008, 12:07:15 AM »
No offense, you know I like you but where did you get this information?  Usnic Acid is what Dave pushes when he talks about his fat burner...now usinc acid has been around for over 100 years-heres the thing, if something WORKS and works well then more then 2 products in the supplement industry would use it.  Other companies have played with it and fallen victim to lawsuits or realized it wasn't the active ingredient that was working in the product.  I have done quite a bit of research on the ingredient and I just don't think it is "the answer."

Also I stated my weight loss hasn't halted but that I had a medical procedure done earlier last week and knew my body was reacting to it and holding water.  I am listening to Dave, I just don't think a fat burner is the answer.

No offense taken, I just want u to look your best.

I posted this on bignation as well. And i have no reason to promote dave's products, they just work so i like em.

I read a story about a woman who claims that after taking 500mg per day of Usnic Acid, her liver “shriveled up and died”.  I think the title of the newspaper article was entitled, "She lost her liver trying to lose weight"? I remember reading an MD interview with Dave Palumbo where the interviewer brought up a similar story and Dave responded by saying that if someone took a huge amount of Valium, or even Vitamin C, they would screw up their liver too.  Insane as this may sound, if someone actually took enough LIPOLYZE or SOMALYZE to equal 500mg per day [36 pills], would it damage their liver like in the above story?

Usnic acid causes cellular energy-wasting by allowing potential energy that could be used to synthesize ATP to leak out of the cells via “leaky” mitochondrial membranes. Because of this energy loss, the cells must compensate by oxidizing additional fatty acids in order to ensure that adequate ATP levels are maintained.  Whenever fatty acid oxidation in increased, the production of free radicals is also increased; and too many free radicals can potentially damage the cells integrity.  This is where antioxidants come into play. 

Several in vitro (cell culture) studies have demonstrated that massive amounts of Usnic acid can damage liver cells. Remember, this data has only been observed in petri dish conditions; not in the living organism.  It should also be remembered that cells grown in petri dishes have one distinct disadvantage over cells found in the living body; there are no antioxidant systems to protect against free radical-induced oxidative damage. With this fact in mind, these same studies revealed that by adding a simple antioxidant like vitamin E to the cell culture media, cell damage was drastically reduced (if not eliminated). 

The human body has a large array of endogenous antioxidant systems such as superoxide dismutase, glutathione reductase, catalase, and various peroxidases that effectively neutralize most free radicals that can lead to oxidative stress.  Additionally, LIPOLYZE and SOMALYZE are both fortified with green tea extract and Vitamin E which further serve to reduce the threat of antioxidant damage within the cells

DougSmith

• Getbig II
« Reply #226 on: March 19, 2008, 06:31:31 AM »

For those interested here is a good review regarding Usnic acid

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/Chem_Background/ExSumPdf/UsnicAcid.pdf

More recent toxicological studies are listed here

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=search&db=pubmed&term=tox%5Bsb%5D%20AND%20%28%7E125-46-2%5BRN%5D%20OR%20%22%7E%22%5BMH%5D%29

As a point of clarification the anti oxidant systems that Flexington mentioned are all present in isolated cells.  However some of them may be inactive due to depletion of co factors such as  ascorbate and glutathione.

I am not sure if any study has shown a thermogenic effect at the levels given in most supplements.  Increased dosage would presumably lead to mitochondrial uncoupling, and thermogenesis (with resultant fat loss),  but that might also lead to toxicity. 

If you eat a balanced diet and take your  1 or 2 a day vitamins  anti oxidant supplementation does not have a major effect on your cells abilities to eliminate free radicals (superoxide dismutase, catalase)  or to reduce oxidative damage  (ascorbate,  glutathione,  etc). 

So good luck to those supplementing with it.   It may work,  it may kill you,  it may work and kill you.   Most likely at the low doses recommended it will not do much of anything,  but as we know a lot of bodybuilding is based on super pharmacological dosing, well outside the range of human research stuies -  the label has never held many back.

My only suggestion is to be like the Beast,  and research it yourself before deciding.

Best

Doug

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2008, 06:57:33 PM »
Kinda scared to, Beast sounds a bit on edge.  :-\  Jump right in with the critiques bro.
Naaa...she isn't scary. I'll tell you who's scary. Sarah D. I'm friggin terrified of that girl! On the REAL!

Block!
?

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2008, 07:17:33 PM »
Naaa...she isn't scary. I'll tell you who's scary. Sarah D. I'm friggin terrified of that girl! On the REAL!

Block!

LOL! I know she would come up in here and kick all our asses.  Probally can yell real loud too.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2008, 04:03:10 AM »
Especially if you want to critique my posing...I can use all the help I can get because I am doing this part on my own and I will probably have my boyfriend or Shane help me out a bit as it gets closer....

I think your front/side/back relaxed look really good. 
You need to flex the shit out of your legs when you are in your other poses... the best way to do it is push the knees outward in your front/back poses, sit down on your leg that is facing the judges on the side poses, and keep that calf flexed so much that it feels like it's gonna cramp. 
You should definitely have someone helping you as often as possible.   I'll help you that weekend if I can get down there.  ;)
Does it help to look at pics? 

:)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2008, 01:06:25 PM »
Thanks Lori and I am going to start looking at prices and tickets out...you are definitely coming with me!  It will be hard for me to do everything on my own and even is Greg can end up coming for the day your help will be so greatly appreciated. 

Can I just tell you how crazy it is when 1 day feels like a week and 1 week feels like a month?  I am looking at the pics I took from last Friday and it doesn't seem possible that it was less then a week ago...hopefully there will be some changes by tomorrow because mentally I feel it!

I will think about your recommendations when I am posing though and you are right I definitely have to get down on those legs more and flex harder. 
Jennifer

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #231 on: March 21, 2008, 10:18:40 AM »
Thanks Lori and I am going to start looking at prices and tickets out...you are definitely coming with me!  It will be hard for me to do everything on my own and even is Greg can end up coming for the day your help will be so greatly appreciated. 

Can I just tell you how crazy it is when 1 day feels like a week and 1 week feels like a month?  I am looking at the pics I took from last Friday and it doesn't seem possible that it was less then a week ago...hopefully there will be some changes by tomorrow because mentally I feel it!

I will think about your recommendations when I am posing though and you are right I definitely have to get down on those legs more and flex harder. 

SWEET...I'm gonna go to the JR USAs!!!   :D

I'll be dieting!!   >:(

Can't wait to see the latest pics...are you really six weeks out now?  It may feel like it's going slow, but the time is flying!!  Six weeks from the first show, eight weeks from the Jr USAs?

Hang in there!!

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #232 on: March 21, 2008, 10:26:06 PM »
Well I had a different girl take the pics and I don't think they turned out as well, the angle is a bit off.  Still having issues with that glute/ham tie-in    >:(   6 weeks hopefully will help...

Oh I tried to get down more on my legs (and this is with no mirror) and ended up with a little bit of funky posing so I just need to practice a bit to get into the right postition
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #233 on: March 21, 2008, 10:27:03 PM »
Messing with my foot placement but it definitely isn't right in the front double...
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2008, 10:28:52 PM »
also switched the pressure that I flex my glutes, obviously they aren't lean enough yet but at least they aren't lumpy when I squeeze my butt cheeks in
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2008, 10:38:28 PM »
Ok here are some pics from my second show last year, actually the same show I am getting ready for this year...I did one more the week later and then completely changed my diet and did Team U 6 weeks later.  So I am kindof 6 weeks out from my condition at Team U last year in these shots-and am sitting at about the same weight as I am right now.

I know the pics aren't the best quality but they were the best I could find.
Jennifer

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2008, 11:15:38 PM »
damn jenny you look better right now then u did on stage last year. Keep up the good work, it'll all pay off. Looks like your going to bring your best package ever onstage!

Mazda323

• Getbig III
  • Guardian Angel
« Reply #237 on: March 22, 2008, 02:23:10 AM »
OMG!!! NICE!!! ;D

Your back is fantastic!!! Keep it up!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: March 22, 2008, 06:03:22 AM »
6 weeks still to go, I always feel fat and not ready at that point, but that last 6 weeks is when the dramatic changes happen, especially the last 2 weeks.  Stay on track!!  With the amount of sodium you are eating you will have that layer of water.  When you dry out it will be interesting to see your pics, that's when you should start to see all your hard work.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: March 22, 2008, 06:35:24 AM »
And it's 8 weeks till the Jr USAs. 

WOW Jenny, I agree with flexington...you already look leaner than you did at that show last year.  You are definitely making good progress and have plenty of time.  Your glute/ham area looks better just from flexing it differently...AND you are leaner!  You're in good shape...listen to Dave!!

bthomas77

• Getbig II
« Reply #240 on: March 22, 2008, 09:50:27 AM »
you look awesome Beast.....you are gonna kick some booty

bulklover

• Getbig II
  • "Harder than a chunk of neutronium!"
« Reply #241 on: March 24, 2008, 03:17:11 PM »
Nice pickchahs . . .

I'm beating my head on a steel light pole.  ;)

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #242 on: March 24, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »

I'm beating my head on a steel light pole.  ;)

???

tigereyes

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #243 on: March 27, 2008, 01:52:30 PM »
Wow! Looking Great!  Keep up the hard work, it's definitely paying off.  And 6 weeks (if thats what it still is) is a loooooong time to see changes.  You will be right where you need to be come stage time!!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #244 on: March 28, 2008, 12:02:33 PM »
Jenny, I looked at some of my progress pics from last year...you are DEFINITELY leaner than I was at 8 weeks out.  I had very little leg separation at 8 weeks out. 

Keep up the good work!

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #245 on: March 29, 2008, 04:35:58 PM »
Hey everyone, I have been on the diet but it has been tough the last week.  Just emotional and spacey...it does start to wear on me...

Lori I am actually only 5 weeks out from my first show don't forget, so yes still 7 from Jr. USA's but have to be ready in 5.  Think I am doing ok, I am extremely white in the pics so be prepared :)
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #246 on: March 29, 2008, 04:45:56 PM »
front and back
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2008, 04:49:11 PM »
oh I am down about 1.5 pounds to 124.5 on my scale at home

side shots
Jennifer

bthomas77

• Getbig II
« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2008, 04:52:12 PM »
holy crap Jen....you look fantastic.

looks like the hammies and starting to pop up.....

your back looks unreal, and look at the shoulder striations in the tricep shot......

just keep going strong young lady...you already look the best i have ever seen you, i cant wait to see what you look like on stage in 5 weeks.....

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2008, 05:18:44 PM »
Girl you are good to go conditioning-wise.  Have faith in Palumbo...you are in great shape for either five or seven weeks...no worries at all, just hang in there!!!   8)

All you can do now is stay on track with the program and pose pose pose... and then pose some more.  ;)