Author Topic: new personal best  (Read 2008 times)

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
new personal best
« on: February 06, 2008, 11:53:53 AM »
smith machine dead lifted  three 45's per side + a 35 and a 25 on each side for four reps, then i stripped the quarter and hit it 5 times, stripped the 35 and hit it 5 times, then stripped it down to 225 and repped that about 12 times.

fucking wicked pump.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

sinbad

• Getbig III
  • Chest like Arnold!
Re: new personal best
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 11:58:02 AM »
Jeez, Candidizzle is now stronger than me :(, I am offically the weakest fucker on Getbig ;D

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 01:16:11 PM »
why on earth are you doing deads on the Smith?

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 01:35:30 PM »

yea ive never actually heard of that before sounds pretty gay....props to moving that much weight but whats the point of using a smith?? is it like doing half pulls..with the bar a little higher then shin level...also how much weight do you suppose the bar weighs on the smith just wondering??

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 01:37:47 PM »
yea ive never actually heard of that before sounds pretty gay....props to moving that much weight but whats the point of using a smith?? is it like doing half pulls..with the bar a little higher then shin level...also how much weight do you suppose the bar weighs on the smith just wondering??
plus most Smiths i've seen the plates stop well short of the floor and the bar on most of them is between 0-15 pounds.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 01:40:24 PM »
plus most Smiths i've seen the plates stop well short of the floor and the bar on most of them is between 0-15 pounds.

yea id say that the smith machines i have seen are at about knee height....and if i wouldve guessed i wouldve said around 10 pounds at least the one at my gym...im still not grasping thepoint of deads on the smith...

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 02:07:30 PM »

you beat me to that question !

>:(

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 02:08:28 PM »
The smith machine at Temple Gym has another extra bar running about a foot and a half above the real bar - it's so you can add extra weights on if you need to (not that anyone ever does) - it's impossible to deadlifts with it as a result - the whole thing weighs about 45-50lbs empty.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 02:28:27 PM »
smith machine deadlifts !

now there's the mother of all oxymorons !

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 02:52:36 PM »
smith machine deadlifts !

now there's the mother of all oxymorons !
Flex does 'em in one of his videos, I think its hits a certain part of yoru back differently so there might me some method to the madness.

Plus, its fuckign candidizzle, there must be a good reason  8)
follow the arrows

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
maybe he was high on coke, broccoli and his 14th waxy maize shake of the day.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 03:48:05 PM »
Flex does 'em in one of his videos, I think its hits a certain part of yoru back differently so there might me some method to the madness.

Plus, its fuckign candidizzle, there must be a good reason  8)
YES, flex does do smith machine deadlifts! so do many other top pro's.... they realllllyyyy reallllyyy hit the lower/inner back well. never get a deep burn in that area unless i do smith deads.  i do normal deadlifts from the floor too, but i like to go back and forth between the two...but if i had to choose one or the other id say that the smith machin version has given me more back mass than the normal one has...   but it has its place in my routine.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 03:51:43 PM »
I have done them a few times, and you're right they can really fry your lower back. I find them awkward to do though and like full deads much better, i feel them in my whole back not just the lower back like in the Smith.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 03:55:52 PM »
I have done them a few times, and you're right they can really fry your lower back. I find them awkward to do though and like full deads much better, i feel them in my whole back not just the lower back like in the Smith.
dont you feel like regular deads are more of a whole body movement though?     

full body movements are awesome for boostin your bodys hormones, but for actually hitting the muscle, they arent the greatest.

but when it comes down to it...   the most important thing you are taking away from the gym is the stimulation of hormones.

thats why i go back and forth betweeen the two.   to optimize muscle stimulation, AND hormones...because you can stimulate your body to grow all you want, but without the hormones that control that growth, you wont grow. and you can have all the hormones in the world, but without some stimulation, your not going to grow. (with alot of hormones you need very little stimulation..=) ) 
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 04:15:40 PM »
and the good news is all ya need to reach a PR is a can of DW-40

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 11:57:49 PM »
dont you feel like regular deads are more of a whole body movement though?     

full body movements are awesome for boostin your bodys hormones, but for actually hitting the muscle, they arent the greatest.

but when it comes down to it...   the most important thing you are taking away from the gym is the stimulation of hormones.

thats why i go back and forth betweeen the two.   to optimize muscle stimulation, AND hormones...because you can stimulate your body to grow all you want, but without the hormones that control that growth, you wont grow. and you can have all the hormones in the world, but without some stimulation, your not going to grow. (with alot of hormones you need very little stimulation..=) ) 

Eh?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 07:38:19 AM »
Eh?
remember who that post is coming from. ::)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 12:35:36 PM »
sounds like your over complicating lifting....
lift heavy ass weight for big muscles...
and do real compound movements.. you dont look like an advanced trainer a la troy alces who ive seen doin smith deads.. o..trust me these guys who u see on dvd doin those kind of movements have already paid their dues in their younger days.. to real heavy lifting... your advanced and ur not even intermediate??
like some young guys i see in my gym... 140lbs doing supinated front raises at the cable station or spider curls... those are shapin movements meant for people who have substatial muscle mass.. what pisses me off about those guys is after ive done pounding the free weights i come to the cable station to finish off and they are the same guys using the station...when i first started my workout...
i swear if i was mega rich i would open a gym and if u cant pull 315 from the floor you cant join....
if u want a cable workout go to one of those sissy gyms.. but dont come in a hardcore gym and hold up the machines real trainers want to train on..
rant over..
candizzle get your ass over to the deadlift station and do some real deadlifts
 8)
choice is an illusion

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 12:57:39 PM »
and do real compound movements.. you dont look like an advanced trainer a la troy alces who ive seen doin smith deads.. o..trust me these guys who u see on dvd doin those kind of movements have already paid their dues in their younger days.. to real heavy lifting... your advanced and ur not even intermediate??
like some young guys i see in my gym... 140lbs doing supinated front raises at the cable station or spider curls... those are shapin movements meant for people who have substatial muscle mass.. what pisses me off about those guys is after ive done pounding the free weights i come to the cable station to finish off and they are the same guys using the station...when i first started my workout...
i swear if i was mega rich i would open a gym and if u cant pull 315 from the floor you cant join....
if u want a cable workout go to one of those sissy gyms.. but dont come in a hardcore gym and hold up the machines real trainers want to train on..
rant over..
 8)

hahaha yea i like real deads although ive never tried the smith deads i dont see myself trying them any time soon...

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 01:01:02 PM »
rant over..
 8)

Couldn't have said it better myself.  You're too early in your lifting experience to doing smith deads.  Stick with the real deads or do rack pulls if you want to concentrate on your back only.  Pulling 405 from a rack will give you a nice burn in the lower and upper back, trust me.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 01:03:41 PM »
Couldn't have said it better myself.  You're too early in your lifting experience to doing smith deads.  Stick with the real deads or do rack pulls if you want to concentrate on your back only.  Pulling 405 from a rack will give you a nice burn in the lower and upper back, trust me.

thats where you get it on the lowest pin on the power rack where the bar is like a little under knee height..ive done those a few times and they definitely give you a burn...i still prefer regular deads...actually i love them back is my favorite day of training i dont know why but i love the burn in my back more then anything else....

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 01:34:43 PM »
rant over..
 8)
Good Post.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »
rant over..
 8)
hahaha well said lift heavy weights and whole body movements

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 04:35:29 PM »
how much do you lift on free weight deads from the floor cand, just curious cuz thats a decent amount of weight but ive never done deads on a smith so just curious how it translates

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 07:33:08 AM »
how much do you lift on free weight deads from the floor cand, just curious cuz thats a decent amount of weight but ive never done deads on a smith so just curious how it translates
its pretty much the same...just subtract about 50 lbs because the bar doesnt weigh anything on the smith. i normally rep 4 plates on deads for my heaviest set. like 4... probably 5 times now.
d[-_-]b actin all cool