Author Topic: 5X5! Ever try it?  (Read 4734 times)

osakachero

• Getbig I
5X5! Ever try it?
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:31:36 AM »
I was always a proponent of the H.I.T. method and other variables of it.  But after reading a magazine article I decided to give 5X5 (5 reps, 5 sets) a try.  It is absolutely amazing.  I have never gotten such good gains so quickly.  A couple guys in the gym actually accused me of starting to juice. 

Anybody else have any experience with this method?  Or any advice on similar programs?

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Re: 5X5! Ever try it?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 04:37:29 AM »
5x5s I used to train that way when I was still doing judo.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 04:52:30 AM »
I was always a proponent of the H.I.T. method and other variables of it.  But after reading a magazine article I decided to give 5X5 (5 reps, 5 sets) a try.  It is absolutely amazing.  I have never gotten such good gains so quickly.  A couple guys in the gym actually accused me of starting to juice. 

Anybody else have any experience with this method?  Or any advice on similar programs?

5x5 for every exercise?
I hate the State.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 04:59:56 AM »
i did it for a while its a good strength routine...i did it for every exercise...and i know that with me i did it for probably around 2 months with my split was like chest, back, legs, day off, shoulder, arms, legs, day off....and i put 15 pounds on my 1rm for flat bench before the routine i was hitting 250 just the other day i hit 265 for 1 1/2 reps...so i def recomend it but for me it got very boring and i had to change it up

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 05:02:58 AM »
Can someone post some useful links with 5x5?
I hate the State.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 05:07:34 AM »

you mean a whole workout scheme? i can post what i did....i know that if you read things on GVT volume training thats all it is just less...i also tried 10x10 for a week and i cut it in half 5x5 and actually just to get a real good burn i was actually doing 4 sets with 5 reps and the last set drop the weight a bit and go till failure which i was aiming for 10 reps or so...i know it sounds crazy but it worked well for me...

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 07:36:39 AM »
5x5 for every exercise?
No I only did it on big moves like squats, deads, bench, rows.
It is more of a power building thing.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 09:50:43 AM »
I use 5x5 on my big compound movements..Squats, deadlifts, shldr press, chest press. I add all the trimmings to each workout ..maybe 3x8-12 on the trimmings

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 10:04:15 AM »
look up bill starr 5 x 5 and dual factor training
follow the arrows

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 12:39:51 PM »
in the classic 5x5 workout the first 2 sets are always progressively heavier warm ups and the last 3 are usually with the same weight.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 08:11:21 PM »
5x5 is one of those stand-by routines that give most people some decent size/strength gains over the short term, if not also over the long term.  I never used it for deads but have for squats and especially bench.  Always got good results, especially the first couple of times I did it.  But like everything, your body will get stale on this routine if you stick to it for too long.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 08:35:35 PM »
5x5 is one of those stand-by routines that give most people some decent size/strength gains over the short term, if not also over the long term.  I never used it for deads but have for squats and especially bench.  Always got good results, especially the first couple of times I did it.  But like everything, your body will get stale on this routine if you stick to it for too long.

seconded. it's a solid routine. not one of my favorites, since it means you never actually test your maximum ability, but great for a mixup now and again.

of course if you're feeling particularly retarded, you can always go for a 10x10 week.  :P

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 09:04:23 PM »

Part of its effectiveness may be that you’ve never trained this way before, so it’s great for shocking the muscles into some new growth with something different.

How long have you been using it?
Let us know how long you keep seeing results.

Also, how long are you resting between sets?

of course if you're feeling particularly retarded, you can always go for a 10x10 week.  :P

I’m currently doing GVT (10x10) and am thus far pleased with the results.
And yes – by about the 6th set things start getting noticeably tougher, and the last set or two is nothing short of a motherf*cker.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 01:35:55 AM »
Atm I'm using 6x6 for triceps and back, 8x8 for biceps and shoulders, and today just completed 10x10 for chest.  They way I do it is using a weight heavy enough that I can't get the desired amount of reps in the later sets the first few times I do it.  Then once I am able to complete the whole amount of sets I move up to the next level. 

Eg. Once I can get 6x6 in my triceps exercise I'll move onto 7x7 with the same weight, and keep doing this until I reach 10x10.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 02:08:26 AM »
5x5  is  what I would call a good honest workout. 

osakachero

• Getbig I
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 06:39:59 AM »
I do 5X5 for the major muscle groups; bench, dead lift, squat, pull down, and rows.  I do a super set split of two of these and then do another super set split of another.  Then I hit some of the other minor muscle groups; bi's, tri's, delts, calves, etc..  I do this every other day with a cardio day in between. 

Monday:  Bench/Pull down super set followed by a Dead lift/Hanging leg raise super set.  then whatever for the surrounding muscles. 

Wednesday:  Incline Bench/Sitting Rows super set followed by Squat/One handed bent over row super set.  then of course whatever for some of the minor muscles.

Friday:  I do an H.I.T. routine.   Pretty much do a full body routine but change it up every week.  Its a good shock to the muscles after doing 5x5 for the other two workouts. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 07:24:31 AM »
5 x 5, 6 x 6, 7 x 7, etc. can be used for any exercise.

As far as short vs. long term results there are no rules; most programs show faster progress at the beginning.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 06:55:59 PM »
I do 8x3 every few weeks and I like it alot.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 07:14:19 PM »
Since I still don't get it...would this be a decent 5x5?

Mon

Bench 5x5
Dips 5x5

Wed
Latpulldowns (inverse grip) 5x5
Deadlifts 5x5

Fri
Shoulder Press 5x5
Squats 5x5

alternatively crunches, leglifts, or calf raises...

I have no clue, but would that be ok?

I hate the State.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 08:50:17 PM »
Since I still don't get it...would this be a decent 5x5?

Mon

Bench 5x5
Dips 5x5

Wed
Latpulldowns (inverse grip) 5x5
Deadlifts 5x5

Fri
Shoulder Press 5x5
Squats 5x5

alternatively crunches, leglifts, or calf raises...

I have no clue, but would that be ok?

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Check this out.
Squishy face retard

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 01:59:01 AM »

Check this out.

Shit I had no idea 5x5 was anything like that.  I thought it was just - choose a weight and do 5 sets of 5 reps, end of story.  That program looks good though, I think I might use it when I join a gym.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 02:00:42 AM »

Check this out.

Thanks...not my question is...is it worth duing on a diet (a very restricted one...)?
I hate the State.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 02:12:31 AM »
Thanks...not my question is...is it worth duing on a diet (a very restricted one...)?

i wouldnt think so really because its my understanding that a 5x5 in any variation is a good strength and mass builder and since your cutting i think it would be like working against each other..?

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 08:05:50 AM »
Shit I had no idea 5x5 was anything like that.  I thought it was just - choose a weight and do 5 sets of 5 reps, end of story.  That program looks good though, I think I might use it when I join a gym.
Yeah, I used it along the lines of what you are talking about and got really good strength gains and kept my size which also applies to what Deicide is asking.  I ran and used this program, cut up significantly but did not lose a pound of bodyweight.  My body composition changed but because of the progressive overload my muscles grew and I don't feel that I hurt my body at all.  If you cannot complete the five reps you stay at that weight as far as I know. This challenges your muscles and tendons to adapt to the weight. 
Squishy face retard

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 08:40:46 AM »

For a cutting/calorie restricted diet I would do either a 10X10 program or 3X whole body workouts. At this stage its very unlikely you will be putting on size so you need to concentrate on maintaining your mass. Stick to the big movements squats, deads bench etc. Stick to heavy weight and train hard. Do not go to light weight high reps - you are bodybuilding leave the high reps/low weight stuff to the aerobics classes.

Maintain your protein intake or slightly increase it to compensate from the (I assume) lack of carbs.
If the diet becomes a serious issue up your calories and add some extra cardio to compensate. This can be very effective at giving you a fuller look.

Regards,
A Pumpkinhead