Author Topic: How would Mike Tyson do if he was in the UFC in his prime?  (Read 17020 times)

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
How would Mike Tyson do if he was in the UFC in his prime?
« on: February 10, 2008, 12:11:07 PM »
Lets say he fought Chuck Liddel or Tito, how would he do? Or better yet, what about against Fedor?

cht868

• Getbig III
Re: How would Mike Tyson do if he was in the UFC?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 12:59:07 PM »
destroyed by all 3...the mike tyson of late 80s early 90s would have done alright

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
Re: How would Mike Tyson do if he was in the UFC?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 01:03:39 PM »
destroyed by all 3...the mike tyson of late 80s early 90s would have done alright

thats what i meant,,in the 80's and 90's..

DNewbie

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: How would Mike Tyson do if he was in the UFC in his prime?
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 02:00:56 PM »
Why do you guys ask these crazy questions? If Mike Tyson in his prime came into the UFC, there are guys at 155/170/185 that would dominate him!! They would simply take him to the mat and work him over. Boxers have the biggest disadvantage in MMA. If you take a Olympic wrestler and put them in MMA, they would do much better than a Boxer.......

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 02:29:26 PM »
unless they develop the takedown defense of chuck liddell  :)
Z

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 02:52:46 PM »
Lets say he fought Chuck Liddel or Tito, how would he do? Or better yet, what about against Fedor?

They would take Mike to the ground and elbow the hell out of him, just like Gonzaga did to Cro Cop.

Logan32

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 04:12:56 PM »
unless they develop the takedown defense of chuck liddell  :)

Totally agree with you on this... Scarey thought soemone with Tyson's power with the MMA gloves who had td defense 

cht868

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 04:48:43 AM »
if tyson was smart (which he isn't) he would have trained for takedown defense for a year or two, then stepped in the octagon (hopefully dana would put him against another guy that likes to bang, say tim "the maniac" sylvia") and see what happens...but if they put him in there against lesner, then at least he would have a shot to stop the take down...

or how bout this

kimbo vs tyson!!!!

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 06:51:51 AM »
I'd love to see one person take Tyson down to the ground after getting fed a jab/cross from him with 4oz. MMA gloves...  he'd knock anyone that tried into next week... some of you guys are delusional in his prime there isn't a person in the world that could fuck with Tyson. Remember to take him down you have to get close and shoot in, that leaves your chin very VERY open to get KTFO.

cht868

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 09:15:09 AM »
very true cpt eq

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 11:43:50 AM »
I'd love to see one person take Tyson down to the ground after getting fed a jab/cross from him with 4oz. MMA gloves...  he'd knock anyone that tried into next week... some of you guys are delusional in his prime there isn't a person in the world that could fuck with Tyson. Remember to take him down you have to get close and shoot in, that leaves your chin very VERY open to get KTFO.

People forget how much skills Tyson had in his prime. if he focused his bad attitude and frustrations on MMA instead of boxing in his teens i think he would be just as dominant. i seriously think he would have killed someone if he hit someone with 4 0z gloves.

DNewbie

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 03:53:33 PM »

You must not have watched many MMA fights....A good wrestler can shoot from 5 feet away and take you down. You name the top boxer in the world right now and they would be beat within 2 minutes by a top heavyweight MMA fighter.

TYSON WOULD HAVE BEEN EASILY BEAT.....

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 01:43:24 AM »
You must not have watched many MMA fights....A good wrestler can shoot from 5 feet away and take you down. You name the top boxer in the world right now and they would be beat within 2 minutes by a top heavyweight MMA fighter.

Hahaha.. ok :) 
Tyson now, yeah... Tyson 1988.... NO FUCKING WAY

Vertigo

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 04:00:17 AM »

wow... just... wow...

Have you even even done mma or wrestling? Because this is about as far from the truth as could possible.

Try punching a guy shooting for your legs on the chin. It pretty much impossible because you'll hit the top of his head. BFD, that won't knock anyone out. Oh, and a shoot against someone like Tyson(or any pure boxer in general) would be initiated OUTSIDE punching or kicking range. So no luck knocking him out from that distance either. Fight tactics are used in boxing as well as mma, but boxers don't have a tactic to counter mma-fighters, while (smart) mma-fighters do have for stand-up purists.

If people still think in this age, after all mma has proven, that a stand-up style purist still has any chance to beat modern mma-athletes other than what we in mma call "boxers chance", they are either complete imbecils or fanatic fanboys. There have been quite a few world class striker-purists that have been submitted without even the possibility to throw a single punch or kick.

Search for Ramon Dekkers only mma-fight(which was in pride or k1-heroes I think, ufc doesn't equal mma), a living legend in muay thai, probably the best p4p-thai fighter alive, but in mma the guy got completely toyed with and humiliated.

"What if they developped world class takedown defense".
Yeah, because that happens over night and completely doesn't need years of hard training and serious natural talent. What if I developped world class takedown defense, submissions and striking game... Why, I'd win every fight I'd enter! I found the holy grail of mma!

Unfortunatly it doesn't work that way.

The only way tyson would be a favourite in an mma fight would be when he fought a stand-up guy with very little offensive ground-game, like Tim Sylvia.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 08:53:09 AM »
he would have gotten beat badly
irongearco.com

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 09:30:44 AM »

100% completely agree.  NO ONE would be even close to getting him down bc they wouldn't be able to get that close in the first place.  Tyson had such quickness and power. 

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 10:26:04 AM »
100% completely agree.  NO ONE would be even close to getting him down bc they wouldn't be able to get that close in the first place.  Tyson had such quickness and power. 

That's what some of the people in this thread are incapable of understanding, we're not talking about Joe Schmoe Boxer... we're talking about Tyson in his PRIME back when he was FAST, AGGRESSIVE  and BRUTAL... nevermind that aside from Foreman he's the hardest hitting boxer alive. I guys some of these hardcore TapouT guys haven't seen Tyson's Greatest Knockouts DVD on youtube... show me an MMA fighter with a chin good enough to take a couple of direct shots from Mike in his prime... No one in MMA has hands like him, that's for sure. And if he was fighting in MMA he would obviously concentrate heavily on takedown defense because it's obvious that no one in their sane mind would stand and trade shots with him.

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 10:49:24 AM »

A wrestler or takedown artist may have beat him, but no way in hell any of the "strikers" in MMA would last one round with the Mike Tyson from 1988, no f%cking way ;)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 01:37:11 PM »
A wrestler or takedown artist may have beat him, but no way in hell any of the "strikers" in MMA would last one round with the Mike Tyson from 1988, no f%cking way ;)

Even if the first scenario happens, then what... the wrestler's gonna GnP a guy with a chin like Tyson !?! lol, the only way is submission, if Tyson can hold off till they're seperated and when they're standing again, the wrestler is a fucking dead man.

DNewbie

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 03:25:20 PM »
wow... just... wow...

Have you even even done mma or wrestling? Because this is about as far from the truth as could possible.

Try punching a guy shooting for your legs on the chin. It pretty much impossible because you'll hit the top of his head. BFD, that won't knock anyone out. Oh, and a shoot against someone like Tyson(or any pure boxer in general) would be initiated OUTSIDE punching or kicking range. So no luck knocking him out from that distance either. Fight tactics are used in boxing as well as mma, but boxers don't have a tactic to counter mma-fighters, while (smart) mma-fighters do have for stand-up purists.

If people still think in this age, after all mma has proven, that a stand-up style purist still has any chance to beat modern mma-athletes other than what we in mma call "boxers chance", they are either complete imbecils or fanatic fanboys. There have been quite a few world class striker-purists that have been submitted without even the possibility to throw a single punch or kick.

Search for Ramon Dekkers only mma-fight(which was in pride or k1-heroes I think, ufc doesn't equal mma), a living legend in muay thai, probably the best p4p-thai fighter alive, but in mma the guy got completely toyed with and humiliated.

"What if they developped world class takedown defense".
Yeah, because that happens over night and completely doesn't need years of hard training and serious natural talent. What if I developped world class takedown defense, submissions and striking game... Why, I'd win every fight I'd enter! I found the holy grail of mma!

Unfortunatly it doesn't work that way.

The only way tyson would be a favourite in an mma fight would be when he fought a stand-up guy with very little offensive ground-game, like Tim Sylvia.

At least there is someone on this thread that has some MMA knowledge........

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 05:51:38 PM »

At least there is someone on this thread that has some MMA knowledge........

I am speaking on pure stand up striking/boxing here. I'm sure if Tyson was on the ground and was put in a hold, he would tap. BUT, Tyson from 1986-1988, against ANY MMA striker in a standup position only, they would all get owned. I don't even see how you can argue that. Look at what he did to grown professional fighters with boxing gloves, now imagine taking a hit from him with a 4 oz. glove, insane. I beat Mike Tyson on Mike Tysons Punchout, so I am an expert on this subject ;D

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 07:19:46 PM »
I'd give mike (the 80's version) a "punchers chance" against anyone within the first 30 or 40 seconds, and after that any MMA fighter worth his weight in shit would find a rhythm and have him off his feet.

Vertigo

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 01:43:26 AM »
I am speaking on pure stand up striking/boxing here. I'm sure if Tyson was on the ground and was put in a hold, he would tap. BUT, Tyson from 1986-1988, against ANY MMA striker in a standup position only, they would all get owned. I don't even see how you can argue that. Look at what he did to grown professional fighters with boxing gloves, now imagine taking a hit from him with a 4 oz. glove, insane. I beat Mike Tyson on Mike Tysons Punchout, so I am an expert on this subject ;D

And if you put tyson against any Gracie in a grappling only fight, he wouldn't stand a chance as well.

It a no brainer that a prime Tyson would demolish any mma fighter in a boxing match. But it's also irrelevant, because it's mma. In mma, your weaknesses count for a LOT more than your strengths.

Also about the power Tyson could generate with his hands, I'm pretty sure top HW kickboxers or thaifighters like cro-cop or Bas Rutten can top it with a high kick.

Even if the first scenario happens, then what... the wrestler's gonna GnP a guy with a chin like Tyson !?! lol, the only way is submission, if Tyson can hold off till they're seperated and when they're standing again, the wrestler is a fucking dead man.

Even in the unlikely event of fighting a pure wrestler with no submission knowledge at all, if he couldn't knock tyson out, his face isn't made of steel. It would be beaten into bloody mess after awhile and the fight would be stopped. Being full mounted and getting your face pounded is imo the most discouraging position in mma, because if the guy is any good there's no way you can get him off, and the punches and elbows are very hard to avoid, turtling up is all you can do.

They won't be seperated unless the bell rings, if they aren't in a stalemate(I don't know how it's called in English, basicly both fighters can't find anything to advance their position) position. That's a possible 4.50 minute of pain. Nobody survives that.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 07:51:03 AM »
I'd give mike (the 80's version) a "punchers chance" against anyone within the first 30 or 40 seconds, and after that any MMA fighter worth his weight in shit would find a rhythm and have him off his feet.

You're giving an IN HIS PRIME TYSON a "puncher's chance"?   HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »
Even in the unlikely event of fighting a pure wrestler with no submission knowledge at all, if he couldn't knock tyson out, his face isn't made of steel. It would be beaten into bloody mess after awhile and the fight would be stopped. Being full mounted and getting your face pounded is imo the most discouraging position in mma, because if the guy is any good there's no way you can get him off, and the punches and elbows are very hard to avoid, turtling up is all you can do.

They won't be seperated unless the bell rings, if they aren't in a stalemate(I don't know how it's called in English, basicly both fighters can't find anything to advance their position) position. That's a possible 4.50 minute of pain. Nobody survives that.

Yeah, you're totally right, what was I thinking.. a the HW boxing champion of the world with a glass jaw that can't take a few sloppy half ass shots from someone like Koscheck or another wrestler... a world champion that trains for 12  2-3 minute rounds of receiving pure blows to the head/face (aside from some bodyshots)  yeah...he'd never survive a beating like that...