Author Topic: what did I do to my back/trap/shoulders?  (Read 7150 times)

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
what did I do to my back/trap/shoulders?
« on: February 12, 2008, 07:15:55 PM »
did back workout and felt a little pain on my last set of reverse grip lat pulldowns.  It was nothing major, but the next day it seems like it hurts every where on that side!  From my traps, down to about my mid back on my left side and up into my neck?  What do you think this could be?  There is no bruising and it doesnt really feel like any swelling, but it hurts when I turn my neck and every once in a while sitting totaly still I'll get a sharp shooting pain from a spot from about 6 inches below my mid left trap.  Anyone have any clue?

Emmortal

• Getbig V
Re: what did I do to my back/trap/shoulders?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 07:32:13 PM »
Could just be a strained muscle, if you are experiencing numbness in the area then it might be nerve damage.

technokc

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:53:22 PM »
Could just be a strained muscle, if you are experiencing numbness in the area then it might be nerve damage.

not really any numbness but a shooting pain every once in a while, obviously I'm not going to work out back or traps, think it would be okay to do chest and tri's this week?

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 07:56:04 PM »
I'd just take it easy anyway, and not go all out.  If it's strained then you risk tearing it so better to take it easy and let it heal up first.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 01:29:32 AM »
Yeah just sounds like a strain. I had one a while ago after a back workout, but after a day or so it should be fine. Just take a day off from training and don't do anything that will aggrivate it.
No doubt about it...

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 02:19:40 AM »
honestly id say take a couple days...rest relax use the next 3 or so days as your off days and come back hard...not knowing how you do your pulldowns if they are like most people i see at the gym and you rock yourbody up and pull back with your whole body instead of just using your back and arms to pull down if thats the case try lowering the knee stopper so you have to force your legs underneath which in turn will keep your body locked down...good luck bro

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 07:33:09 AM »
Sounds like you may have a pinched nerve (inflamed... improper stress) which can be somewhat common. If noticed from the neck, traps and upper back, than chances are that is what it is. Turning the neck or lifting the arm too high may also cause discomfort. Usually confused with a actual muscle strain, though both can go hand in hand. Trying to work around it if you do not want to skip a few workouts. Will usually go away after 3 or 4 days. In any event, warm up completely before any workout. Hopefully a pinched nerve is all it is and not a muscle strain (rupture/tear).

In any case, apply a heating element (lotion, gel, taped heating pad, etc) throughout the day. If you can afford a professional massage than that can be an excellent cure. If not gone away with-in a week than see a doctor. Who, in most cases, will subscribe a anti inflammation drug(s). And advise total rest for a week or two. Good Luck.
F

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 08:22:05 AM »
The grim reaper can't be far off :'(

pip

:D

technokc

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 08:34:51 AM »
Okay weirdest things, the pain has been consistend for about 3 days now, very bad.  And honestly there have been some little nagging pain in the area over the last month.  Anyways last night while sleeping on my side I heard the loudest pop ever, loud enough to wake me up from a dead sleep!!  I wake up this morning and have never felt better!!  Pain completely gone!  For the life of my however I cant figure out what popped.  I know it wasn't my shoulder ball and socket no pain there and the sound came from mid back on my left side but not really by my spine.  Im decent with anatomy and for the life of me cant think of anythng that would pop in this area.  It could be since I was sleeping I misjudged the are.
Any thoughts?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 09:26:56 AM »

Any thoughts?

It would all be speculation, plus you've already gotten plenty of good advice. Rest a while till the soreness goes away, only do other muscles if it doesn't impede healing. If the soreness doesn't go away in a while, see a doc.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 02:26:26 PM »
OK, it's sound like Technoke's neck/spine was out of adjustment due the way he did that lat pull. Which in turn was probably pinching a nerve in the neck/trap/upper back. Actually a maladjusted spine can cause pain anywhere on the body. You do not have to feel it directly from the spine it's self. Or a nerve was brused some how when training. Probably turned just the right way during sleep and the body readjusted it's self. Not uncommon.

With a massage and  a visit to a chiropractor you might avoid that problem in the future. Good Luck.
F

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 07:38:30 PM »
you'll be fine in about 4-6 days

eho

• Getbig II
  • Support Canadian Chiropractic
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 03:27:15 PM »
OK, it's sound like Technoke's neck/spine was out of adjustment due the way he did that lat pull. Which in turn was probably pinching a nerve in the neck/trap/upper back. Actually a maladjusted spine can cause pain anywhere on the body. You do not have to feel it directly from the spine it's self. Or a nerve was brused some how when training. Probably turned just the right way during sleep and the body readjusted it's self. Not uncommon.

With a massage and  a visit to a chiropractor you might avoid that problem in the future. Good Luck.

I am thinking along the same lines, although you (or your Chiro) might want to check rhomboids, upper and lower traps, as well, if your pain is more lateral, then you could have a rib out.  However, considering your symptoms, it could very well could be DOMS, with associated spinal joint irritations