Author Topic: Should Presidential campaign ads be in Spanish?  (Read 5840 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Should Presidential campaign ads be in Spanish?
« on: February 13, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »

I'm very keen on streamlining the citizenship process for our (for the most part) law-abiding Latino friends and also for visitors from other countries.  I want them to be part of our workforce, to be part of our tax base, and to be part of our national community. 

I do NOT, however, want TV ads for our Presidential candidates to be in Spanish, nor do I want Spanish-language ballots at our polling places. 

I'm all for welcoming people into our country, and they're welcome to speak their native language, but the business of America needs to be conducted in English.

Move to the Politics board at your leisure.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
Re: Should Presidential campaign ads be in Spanish?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
I agree.   A single language is critical for a national identity, and every other group that has come here over the past 200+ years has had to learn English.  You didn't see ballots in German or Polish or Italian back in the early 1900's...  why should we see them in Spanish today?  Welcome the Latino workers our country needs, and invite them to become citizens...  but require them to learn English, just as every other group has had to.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 03:04:43 PM »
 :)
X

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 03:17:34 PM »
FUCK NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 03:18:20 PM »
Latinas are hot.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 03:22:58 PM »
No. I have no problem with people speaking their native language in their own home, but in public and in places of business English should be spoken. All that Telemundo and the other stuff does is add to the incentive not to learn the language. Why did our grandparents learn the language? Because they had to in order to survive, that is not the case for immigrants today. Will the quality of life be better for them if they learned English? Sure, but is not a necessity but it should be.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 03:29:48 PM »
No. I have no problem with people speaking their native language in their own home, but in public and in places of business English should be spoken. All that Telemundo and the other stuff does is add to the incentive not to learn the language. Why did our grandparents learn the language? Because they had to in order to survive, that is not the case for immigrants today. Will the quality of life be better for them if they learned English? Sure, but is not a necessity but it should be.

Yep.  Sadly, in Houston where I live, the ability to speak English is not a necessity.  There are Spanish-language television stations, radio stations, and newspapers, and in pretty much every business there will be somebody available who speaks Spanish, given how widely it is spoken down here.  As long as you can speak Spanish, you can get by here just fine without knowing any English at all.  Of course, if you want a job that doesn't involve manual labor for very low pay you'd better speak English fluently, but that somehow doesn't seem to be a concern for a lot of them.  They seem perfectly content to bust their asses all day for a few dollars to feed their 10 kids and buy some cerveza.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 03:42:57 PM »
I'm not an American nor do I live in America, but I believe for any country, if you don't speak the language, GET THE FUCK OUT... I'm a European living in Canada, I came here when I was close to my teens, took me 3 months to learn the language. I don't understand how people can live in a country for 10, 20 years and not know the language AT ALL... it's somewhat like that here (Toronto) with the Italian and Indian/Paki communities, they're kids bring them over in their 50's and they can't speak one word of english.

AZbodybuilder

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 03:46:50 PM »
IF YOU CANT SPEAK THE LANGAUGE AND HAVE NO DESIRE TO LEARN THE LANGAUGE GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE COUNTRY !

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 03:48:08 PM »
todos los mensajes en getbig deben ser
Z

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 04:19:22 PM »
you can still go to parts of New York where Italian is the primary language.   You can go to parts of Louisiana where French (or a variation of it) is and always has been the primary language.  And you can go to many places in the southwest where spanish is and always has been the primary language.  We have always been a multi-lingual nation.   Get use to it.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 04:27:28 PM »
Goat, campaign ads and ballots are two different things. 

About voting, there were some Civil Rights Era cases dealing with minimum requirements (education) for the franchise.  The NY case might actually have involved Spanish speakers. If people are curious, I might get off my arse and look for it.

Special "Campaign" Ed

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 04:46:54 PM »
you can still go to parts of New York where Italian is the primary language.   You can go to parts of Louisiana where French (or a variation of it) is and always has been the primary language.  And you can go to many places in the southwest where spanish is and always has been the primary language.  We have always been a multi-lingual nation.   Get use to it.

There's a HUGE difference between people of similar heritages speaking the same language in Little Italy and going to an ATM in one of the little shops and being asked to choose between English and Italian before your transaction can be processed. 

And there's an even bigger difference between those two situations and having bi-lingual mandates in areas like education, government offices, etc.  especially when Spanish is the only other language given that consideration. 

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 04:50:26 PM »

The question isn't whether a person should be able to speak their native tongue in their own homes or in their own neighborhoods.  Rather, should public documents, like voting pamphlets & ballots and other official government documents, and public forums, like city council meetings, etc., be in multiple languages.  I think no.  If you want to be part of the political process (i.e. vote, participate in your state and municipal government meetings, etc.), you should have to learn english, just like the past immigrants did.  If nothing else, it makes conducting business much easier and cheaper.  (We are the bastion of democracy and capitalism after all.  Look at the bottom line.)

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 05:47:48 PM »
I'm very keen on streamlining the citizenship process for our (for the most part) law-abiding Latino friends and also for visitors from other countries.  I want them to be part of our workforce, to be part of our tax base, and to be part of our national community. 

I do NOT, however, want TV ads for our Presidential candidates to be in Spanish, nor do I want Spanish-language ballots at our polling places. 

I'm all for welcoming people into our country, and they're welcome to speak their native language, but the business of America needs to be conducted in English.

Move to the Politics board at your leisure.

You've obviously never been to Miami  :-X
just not good enough

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 06:12:44 PM »
IF YOU CANT SPEAK THE LANGAUGE AND HAVE NO DISIRE TO LEARN THE LANGAUGE GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE COUNTRY !

desire?
X

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 07:19:54 PM »
IN MEXICO!

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
  • My power is discombobulatingly & devastating!
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 07:26:13 PM »
IF YOU CANT SPEAK THE LANGAUGE AND HAVE NO DISIRE TO LEARN THE LANGAUGE GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE COUNTRY !

BIG MOTHER FUC$%N BUMP!

TOO MUCH DIVERSITY HAS MADE THE USA WEAK ESPECIALLY THE PUBLIC SECTOR.   

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 07:36:13 PM »
Come to AZ or CA and watch an illegal or legal immigrant try to order In-N-Out.  It's the most pathetic thing at times. 

Oh yeah....

Welcome to America, now speak the language.

Like dantelis said, nobody is outlawing a language but tax dollars should not be wasted because some woman, who has lived here for 50 years, still can't read English.  My grandparents came through Ellis Island and learned the damn language, so can the people from TJ.  You're going to see a resurgence of people hating foreigners who don't speak the language, just like they used to do to Germans and Italians.  Get used to it.
Squishy face retard

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
  • My power is discombobulatingly & devastating!
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »
  ALOT OF ILLEGAL OR LEGAL IMMIGRANTS ACT LIKE THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO BE HERE, BUT WHEN IN FACT IT'S A PRIVILEGE.

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 07:45:43 PM »
There is a reason Ron put up a political board!!
Most are all show no go!

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 07:48:54 PM »
Thanks Minkus.
Squishy face retard

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 07:50:33 PM »
todos los mensajes en getbig deben ser
Chupa mi verga carre culo!

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 07:56:54 PM »
There's no reason for Spanish speaking people to learn English because we cater to them.  Separate directions, tv stations, radio.  Rather than force people to at least learn English before hopping the border, our country tells them it's ok to never learn it.  So why would you?  More brilliant "fair" rules by the US.
If you can't speak English somewhat well, you really have no place voting.  As far as the whole "border control" issue...it's utterly pointless at this point.  Our country is basically culturally fucked...ahha, and I don't really care. ;) ;D  You either just shoot someone for being an illegal, on the spot, or let anyone come in.
That would make the point pretty clear.
"Excuse me, do you have a green card?"
"No."
BOOM!!! dead
Thanks for playing.  Our country is run by complete pussies.  Take a look at congress for God sakes...spineless old turds with bad hair pieces..haah
N

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 08:03:45 PM »

Because he was bored and had an afternoon to kill?

I figured as much.