Author Topic: VINCE BASILE - is this you???  (Read 6846 times)

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
Re: VINCE BASILE - is this you???
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 08:20:23 AM »
That is not vince goodrum because vince is black.

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 08:24:14 AM »
Some photos of the Olympia. I sold my negatives and slides to Robert Nailon. At the time it seemed sensible but I regret it now. I still have access to those photos but don't have any myself.

Here is a link to some that others took of the judging.
  http://ironage.us/images/random/80/komich.html

Here is the famous cover I took of Mike from the 80 Olympia. No wonder so many believed he was the winner.

how much did you sell them for?
I

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 08:35:20 AM »
Poor Vince. One day he is living it up with Arnold, the next he is arguing with Goodrum and defending fatties online.

Moosejay

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 08:46:26 AM »
Vince, is it true that Arnold refused/failed to do some of the mandatory poses, and that is why CBS(or ABC) sports refused to televise the show?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 08:47:11 AM »
I didn't have a clue about who to send my photos to so I asked Robert Nailon what to do. Since I took so many photos and slides it was going to be a hassle sending different photos to the various magazines. I selected Ironman, MuscleMag and a German magazine recommended by Robert. He said not to worry but send everyone the same photos. Bob Kennedy still won't speak to me because he had a cover already to go and saw that Ironman used the same photo. I didn't get much and because I was naive I ended up rather embarrassed so sold them all to Robert for $1000. He was going to do a book or something but never did. I used to smile when I saw my photos over the years with Robert getting the credit. He and I had a contest at the Olympia to see who could take the best photos. He roamed around on the stage while I had preselected a seat in the middle of the Opera House at trunk level to the competitors. Simply the best place to take photos of bodybuilders on stage because there is virtually no distortion. I had a telephoto lens mounted on a tripod. I was 'silly' enough to get a gym member to swap seats with John Balik for the finals. The guy jumped at the chance since he got to sit at the front. John recorded some of the best images of the finals when my camera jammed just before Arnold posed. What a bummer. Kennedy didn't pay me much and the German magazine didn't pay me a cent! Peary Rader of Ironman was the only decent guy to deal with.

Photographers are paid peanuts for photos by the magazines. I haven't been interested in this kind of photography since. I would rather shoot beaches or even flowers.

Arnold was at my gym twice and at my penthouse apartment for dinner in 1974. However, I have never hung out with him.

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008, 08:50:50 AM »
Vince, tell us some stories about Arnold and the ladies.
I

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008, 08:54:57 AM »
Arnold was making a movie called The Comeback and a crew was there to record it. Apparently they didn't include the booing after Arnold was announced the winner. That booing turned into cheers but it was embarrassing to Arnold to hear that.

Arnold didn't refuse to do any compulsory poses. What he did was do biceps poses while doing the triceps pose. (I captured Arnold doing that.) That was cheating of a sort but he was not penalized by Oscar State for doing so. Arnold had friends and associates judging him. Bill Pearl stepped down from judging because he helped Chris Dickerson. Brendan Ryan, a junior winner, was selected to judge for Australia because multi-Mr Australia Peter McCarthy missed the judges' meeting. That was odd because I was standing with Pete and Frank Burwash and there was no notification of the meeting. Since Peter was late he was used as an alternate. Ironically, had they used Peter's scores instead of Brendan's then Chris would have won. Brendan was a personal mate of Arnold and had stayed with Arnold in LA before the contest.

I have the judges sheets somewhere so will publish them when I find them. It makes an interesting read to see what happened.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2008, 08:55:56 AM »
It is 4 am in Sydney so I will catch up with more stuff later.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 08:58:36 AM »
this photo was taken by Vince. i scanned it from an old muscleworld.

rik

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2008, 12:57:23 PM »

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2008, 01:02:52 PM »
I have the judges sheets somewhere so will publish them when I find them. It makes an interesting read to see what happened.

Me too. If you don't post 'em by the time I get around to them, I will.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2008, 01:05:15 PM »
I don't remember that photo.

OK...so now that you see it, does the "moment" ring a bell?  ???

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2008, 05:40:37 PM »
Someone was taking photos on the Harbour Cruise after the contest. I remember talking to Arnold but don't recall seeing the photo before. Arnold has visited my gym at West Ryde twice and my penthouse apartment once. I recall telling him I didn't think he would be a big movie star! He told me he loves when people do that because it motivates him to try harder. He achieved so much more than anyone would have predicted. He was pretty good with the ladies, too. That is another story best left on Ironage.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2008, 05:42:04 PM »

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 01:12:16 AM »
Hi Vince,

I think your stories are great, but seriously no need to keep trashing Paul Graham, most BBers in OZ know what he's like and agree with you, keep to the positive stuff. I live close to Coogee but i travel over twice as far to train at F--king Fitness First in Bondi Jn. (ok it's not that bad just typical corporate bullshit). I would have to be very desperate to train at his gym.

Where is your gym in West Ryde? I only know Chatnam street where the Mitre 10 is.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 02:38:16 AM »
Yeah, nothing like preaching to the knowledgeable!

Not sure I can be positive about the gyms Paul has owned. Let us hope that Paul Jr does a better job.

Fitness First have good gyms with heaps of Sheilas. That usually compensates for the lack of a proper atmosphere for training heavy. What about Al's Gym in Bondi Jct?

We moved V&R Fitness to Nancarrow Avenue in Meadowbank back in 2001. Big gym, air con, free wts section, boxing room, stretch room, aerobics room and cardio room. Most people tell us we have the best gym they have seen in Australia. Without a doubt we are the best equipped of any that I have seen. Too many gym owners are too cheap to install the best equipment. I made most of our resistance machines except we have a big line of Nautilus machines.

If you want a free workout then PM me and introduce yourself. I am not at my gym much so you would have to make an arrangement to meet me there. That is, if you are interested.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 03:13:39 AM »
Your still a douche

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 05:47:41 AM »
Hi Vince,

I think your stories are great, but seriously no need to keep trashing Paul Graham, most BBers in OZ know what he's like and agree with you, keep to the positive stuff.

Actually it's not a bad thing to get that out since the rest of the world outside of your narrow purview isn't aware of alot of his hijinks re: gyms and contest decisions that are still discussed.

Besides which, let's get it straight it's not trashing if true.

Spoony Luv

• Getbig IV
  • FROM UP ABOVE!!!
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2008, 07:16:55 AM »
Vince i know you say you like big fat women, but from the look of this picture with Arnold, it looks like you like big fat cock...

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2008, 07:22:09 AM »
Vince i know you say you like big fat women, but from the look of this picture with Arnold, it looks like you like big fat cock...

brutal jealousy.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2008, 07:22:58 AM »
brutal jealousy.

Masataki-San, Konbanwa!
I hate the State.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2008, 08:05:03 AM »
Masataki-San, Konbanwa!

why aren't you in bed?  :( :( :(

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2008, 08:09:09 AM »
why aren't you in bed?  :( :( :(
Weil er ein an Schlaflosigkeit Leidender ist. Birthday Junge braucht einige Sleeping Pillen.
follow the arrows

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2008, 08:09:51 AM »
He's a Stillnox sleep-poster.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2008, 08:14:01 AM »
Weil er ein an Schlaflosigkeit Leidender ist. Birthday Junge braucht einige Sleeping Pillen.

Why don't you just creep back into your hole and stare at the wall?

It was a rethorical question.