Author Topic: VINCE BASILE - is this you???  (Read 6835 times)

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
VINCE BASILE - is this you???
« on: February 17, 2008, 05:34:53 AM »
So I open up my "Arnie Vault", and begin flipping through some back issues and I come across a picture that appears to be the infamous roly-poly himself, Vince Basile.

Vince, if this in fact is you, enlighten us with your purple reply...

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: VINCE BASILE - is this you???
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 05:41:58 AM »
whos the retard on the left?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 05:43:48 AM »
Z

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 05:46:25 AM »
whos the retard on the left?

Is there something, Mars?

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 08:25:51 PM »
*bump*

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 08:40:24 PM »
Vince dwarfing Arnold there.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 08:41:29 PM »
Monster shoulder width on guy on the left.  Dude needs to pick up some weights.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Yes. Your retarted.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 08:45:35 PM »
Vince appears to be cooking up the anecdote of the century in that picture.

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 08:50:32 PM »
Vince is never gonna shut up about this...not that he ever does about anything anyway.

AVBG

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 08:55:52 PM »
It is Vince Basile.

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 09:48:26 PM »
You gotta hand it to the guy.....how many people can claim to be in a photo like that?

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 09:55:53 PM »
You gotta hand it to the guy.....how many people can claim to be in a photo like that?
that was like 70 years ago though.
follow the arrows

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 09:59:08 PM »
that was like 70 years ago though.

Maybe....but 70 years from now neither one of us will likely have something like that to brag about...

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 10:14:20 PM »
It's summer right now in Australia, Vince is busy sunning instead of posting.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 02:55:24 AM »
A great pic.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 02:59:48 AM »

I bet they're talking about fat chicks.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 04:24:52 AM »
It is Vince Basile.

I was thinking it was. Just wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 06:48:33 AM »
I don't remember that photo. After the 1980 Mr Olympia, Paul Graham had a Harbour Cruise organized for all the contestants, officials and guests. The guys who had sour grapes like Zane, Mentzer, and Coe didn't come along. I got to meet Joe Weider and I told him I took hundreds of photos of the contest. He told me to send him my contact sheets but I wasn't interested in being published in any of his magazines. I made a joke about Reynolds when I said out loud, that if I sent those photos and Reynolds didn't use them then he was fired! Bill had a PhD but seemed to be treated like a busboy around Woodland Hills. He even complained that Joe always confused him with another Bill who worked for him! So much for being the editor of Muscle Builder or whatever it was called then.

Casey Viator called me kid! It was 10 years after we both won national contests. It was a great time and everyone who came on board had a good time. Arnold was his jovial self and perhaps quite relieved to finally be able to retire after winning this contest.

Franco Columbu gave a seminar at my Sydney gym the next day and Arnold tagged along. They were very interested in Bev Francis and actually took her for a short ride around the area. Bev said they asked her a bunch of questions and if she used steroids. Bev got a huge response from the audience at the Opera House when she posed. Only local hero Roger Walker who came 6th and Arnold who won equalled the applause that Bev received. To put what happened in perspective, they had a gal from America pose and when Bev posed everyone was amazed. I helped prepare Bev by working on a posing routine. She and everyone else were a bit apprehensive about what kind of reception she would receive. Well, the audience went wild because there was Bev at about 180 looking huge and strong but graceful in her bikini. Heck, that was almost the first time she ever wore a bikini and had to have one specially made up for her. Even Arnold came to the side of the stage to watch Bev pose. It was possibly the highlight of the evening.

The low point was when Paul Graham said there was no time to present me with the Best Support Gym for selling 200 tickets to the show. The contest was controversial and afterwards an organization was formed to run contests properly. The huge trophy I picked up was eventually re-engraved and delivered to Chris Dickerson in America. The trophy read, "To Chris Dickerson, Mr Olympia 1980, from the bodybuilders of Australia." I personally felt Arnold deserved his win. I had the advantage of sitting in the middle of the audience at the right level to photograph them. When I looked at the 360 images from the judging and many more from the finals it was clear to me that Arnold was bigger in the upper body than anyone else and still had great calves. His thighs were a bit down but the overall package still impressed. Especially when he was compared with the smaller guys who came 2nd and 3rd, namely Chris and Frank Zane.

I use navy font as Melvin Goodrum complained about the purple!

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 06:51:50 AM »
I don't remember that photo. After the 1980 Mr Olympia, Paul Graham had a Harbour Cruise organized for all the contestants, officials and guests. The guys who had sour grapes like Zane, Mentzer, and Coe didn't come along. I got to meet Joe Weider and I told him I took hundreds of photos of the contest. He told me to send him my contact sheets but I wasn't interested in being published in any of his magazines. I made a joke about Reynolds when I said out loud, that if I sent those photos and Reynolds didn't use them then he was fired! Bill had a PhD but seemed to be treated like a busboy around Woodland Hills. He even complained that Joe always confused him with another Bill who worked for him! So much for being the editor of Muscle Builder or whatever it was called then.

Casey Viator called me kid! It was 10 years after we both won national contests. It was a great time and everyone who came on board had a good time. Arnold was his jovial self and perhaps quite relieved to finally be able to retire after winning this contest.

Franco Columbu gave a seminar at my Sydney gym the next day and Arnold tagged along. They were very interested in Bev Francis and actually took her for a short ride around the area. Bev said they asked her a bunch of questions and if she used steroids. Bev got a huge response from the audience at the Opera House when she posed. Only local hero Roger Walker who came 6th and Arnold who won equalled the applause that Bev received. To put what happened in perspective, they had a gal from America pose and when Bev posed everyone was amazed. I helped prepare Bev by working on a posing routine. She and everyone else were a bit apprehensive about what kind of reception she would receive. Well, the audience went wild because there was Bev at about 180 looking huge and strong but graceful in her bikini. Heck, that was almost the first time she ever wore a bikini and had to have one specially made up for her. Even Arnold came to the side of the stage to watch Bev pose. It was possibly the highlight of the evening.

The low point was when Paul Graham said there was no time to present me with the Best Support Gym for selling 200 tickets to the show. The contest was controversial and afterwards an organization was formed to run contests properly. The huge trophy I picked up was eventually re-engraved and delivered to Chris Dickerson in America. The trophy read, "To Chris Dickerson, Mr Olympia 1980, from the bodybuilders of Australia." I personally felt Arnold deserved his win. I had the advantage of sitting in the middle of the audience at the right level to photograph them. When I looked at the 360 images from the judging and many more from the finals it was clear to me that Arnold was bigger in the upper body than anyone else and still had great calves. His thighs were a bit down but the overall package still impressed. Especially when he was compared with the smaller guys who came 2nd and 3rd, namely Chris and Frank Zane.

can't you just say "Yes, it is me in the pic".

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 06:55:16 AM »
Vince basile has motivated me to buy a better quality kamera. thank you mr canada! can you scan the pics you took of the olympia?

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Yes. Your retarted.
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 07:00:24 AM »
Told you Vince was cooking up the ultimate anecdote :)  Over 25 years in the making :)

lastrep

• Getbig III
  • One Last Rep!
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 07:01:00 AM »
Damn, awesome story - thanks for that!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 07:14:19 AM »
Some photos of the Olympia. I sold my negatives and slides to Robert Nailon. At the time it seemed sensible but I regret it now. I still have access to those photos but don't have any myself.

Here is a link to some that others took of the judging.
  http://ironage.us/images/random/80/komich.html

Here is the famous cover I took of Mike from the 80 Olympia. No wonder so many believed he was the winner.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 07:24:16 AM »
can't you just say "Yes, it is me in the pic".

You are a funny guy ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 08:05:08 AM »
It is Vince Basile Karl Malden.

This shot was taken somewhere on The Streets of San Fransisco.  Deadlift baby.