Author Topic: Upper arm problem  (Read 1067 times)

Titus Oates

• Getbig I
Upper arm problem
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:08:17 AM »
I recently lost a lot of weight and got back into active bodybuilding. The only problem that i have [ apart from being over 50 in age ] is the skin/tissue area inner arm between the bicep and tricep. It hangs like a flap. I am currently doubling up on tricep routines doing them 2X per week using a mixture of dips , skull crushers and old school. The question is this : is there anything else i can do? I am using a maximum weight concept [ dips @100kilos - Barbells @ 50 kilos ] increasing intensity and diminishing rest between sets , it is helping but not as i would have hoped. Surgery is not an option! ??? Are there any other exercises that can used to lessen this?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: Upper arm problem
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
I recently lost a lot of weight and got back into active bodybuilding. The only problem that i have [ apart from being over 50 in age ] is the skin/tissue area inner arm between the bicep and tricep. It hangs like a flap. I am currently doubling up on tricep routines doing them 2X per week using a mixture of dips , skull crushers and old school. The question is this : is there anything else i can do? I am using a maximum weight concept [ dips @100kilos - Barbells @ 50 kilos ] increasing intensity and diminishing rest between sets , it is helping but not as i would have hoped. Surgery is not an option! ??? Are there any other exercises that can used to lessen this?
Titus Oates, eh!? Try reducing the buggery and perjury, etc.  :D

J/K Sometimes after people lose great amounts of weight, they are left with drapes of skin around their midsection. You do not mention this, only the local area between bicep/tricep. If this is the only area you have loose skin, I would give it a bit longer and see if you notice any changes. Things take a bit longer as one gets older. Keep the area well moisturized and certainly keep lifting. Exercise and good blood flow through the area can only be beneficial. If after a year or so, despite your caveat, I would have a doc look at it. Sounds like a very simple cosmetic procedure.

Titus Oates

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 12:50:43 AM »
Thanks for the feedback - don't have the problem to the same extent around the waist. OI will continue with the tricep routines , it has had a slight effect.
Incidentally - took the title from my favourite racehorse of all time , not from the Roman.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:31:47 AM »
Aside from surgery, you would have to try different things for a good while, be patient and see which if any make a difference separately or collectively:

-Change the diet.

-Increase the endurance component of workouts by increasing volume of sets/reps on arm work -even some HIT guys like Viator say that higher volume helps with refinement. Maximum weight is not the best way to refine. Instead, increase the sets and move to higher numbers of reps with less weight-let the intensity arise from endurance work. Reduce time between sets to 45 seconds or one minute, tops.

-Increased arm workout frequency to 3 times a week for a while, again this will emphasize and enhance endurance. Compare results with less frequent training after 2-3 months.

-Try compound supersets, meaning any two exercises for the same muscle done consecutively without rest.

-Try using more cables in your workouts.

-Add in other highly repetitive endurance exercises for the arms, such as swimming for 20-30 minutes.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 08:04:35 AM »
We have to admit a truth here. The skin is elastic and after so many years of being stretch it is not very likely to return to it's former tightness, especially  after losing that much weight. This is even more likely after you reach a certain age (50 something for you). That flap between the tricep and bicep is a result of this. See that all the time in former fat people , mostly around the midsection, neck, arms, inter thighs, etc,. People are fighting past gluttony and age.

Props to you for losing all the extra fat and getting back into BB'ing. By all means focus on these guns and get them to be the best that they can be. As for that extra skin flap, minor surgery could be the only option. Exercise, though offering many benefits, is limited in this regard. Good Luck.
F