Author Topic: Cindy McCain responds to Michelle Obama “proud” comments  (Read 2616 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Cindy McCain responds to Michelle Obama “proud” comments
« on: February 19, 2008, 09:50:46 AM »
Pretty dumb thing for Mrs. Obama to say. 

by Mosheh Oinounou

Brookfield, WI — During her introduction of Sen. John McCain at a rally Tuesday, his wife Cindy injected herself into the controversy surrounding comments another 2008 spouse made yesterday.

“I am proud of my country. I don’t know about you? If you heard those words earlier, I am very proud of my country,” Mrs. McCain said while revving up the crowd and introducing her husband.

When asked at a media availability afterward if they were responding to Michelle Obama’s comments that this election was the “first time” she was “really proud” of the U.S., Sen. McCain deferred to his wife–who reiterated her previous words.

“I just wanted to make the statement that I have and always will be proud of my country,” McCain said.

Speaking in Wisconsin Monday, Michelle Obama caused a stir when she said, “for the first time in my adult lifetime I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change.”

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/02/19/cindy-mccain-responds-to-michelle-obama-proud-comments/

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
Re: Cindy McCain responds to Michelle Obama “proud” comments
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:53:53 AM »
you can love your country, yet not be proud of the questionable shit we do.

are you proud of 100% everything we've done in the past?  Of course not.  Clinton bombed an aspirin factory and killed a lot of civilians.  You proud of that?  I'm not.  But I love the USA. 
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:58:50 AM »
You don't have to be proud of everything your country does to be proud of your country.  There will always be things you like and things you don't like.  But the real issue is whether the wife of a man who wants to be president should be saying something like this and whether her husband shares her views.  Not a smart thing to say IMO. 

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 10:45:10 AM »
You don't have to be proud of everything your country does to be proud of your country.  There will always be things you like and things you don't like.  But the real issue is whether the wife of a man who wants to be president should be saying something like this and whether her husband shares her views.  Not a smart thing to say IMO. 

i agree it wasn't smart.  because the media will/is blowing it out of proportion.

If Obama becomes president and makes friends with our alienated allies while maintaining status quo in iraq (keeping bases and support tropps there, as he said he would, withdrawing only combat forces and letting iraqis do that themselves), then I'll be VERY PROUD of our country for electing him.

Am I proud of bush for deleting 4 million white house emails?  No.
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

bebop396

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 10:46:18 AM »
Need to be reminded of why i should be proud of my country after knowing that we are a nation built on lies....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 11:08:41 AM »
Need to be reminded of why i should be proud of my country after knowing that we are a nation built on lies....

Here is a start:

The Constitution
Federal Civil Rights laws
Property Ownership
Welfare safety net
Millions . . . probably billions of humanitarian aid around the world
Government funded assistance for disabled people
Men and women risking their lives to serve the public (law enforcement, firefighters, armed forces)
Hundreds . . . probably thousands of nonprofit entities that serve people in need
Government funded education
An incredible transportation system
Unlimited opportunities for everyone, regardless of background

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:45:25 AM »
Pretty dumb thing for Mrs. Obama to say. 

by Mosheh Oinounou

Brookfield, WI — During her introduction of Sen. John McCain at a rally Tuesday, his wife Cindy injected herself into the controversy surrounding comments another 2008 spouse made yesterday.

“I am proud of my country. I don’t know about you? If you heard those words earlier, I am very proud of my country,” Mrs. McCain said while revving up the crowd and introducing her husband.

When asked at a media availability afterward if they were responding to Michelle Obama’s comments that this election was the “first time” she was “really proud” of the U.S., Sen. McCain deferred to his wife–who reiterated her previous words.

“I just wanted to make the statement that I have and always will be proud of my country,” McCain said.

Speaking in Wisconsin Monday, Michelle Obama caused a stir when she said, “for the first time in my adult lifetime I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change.”

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/02/19/cindy-mccain-responds-to-michelle-obama-proud-comments/
My wife can't stand McCain's wife.  She views her as a trophy wife b/c McCain left his first wife and married this one.  My wife is really big on the sanctity of marriage. 

And McCain's wife is 175 years younger than McCain to boot.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 11:47:08 AM »
Or u could move....try living overseas....I wasn't proud of Bill Clinton but he was the President and I never thought to undermine his authority or not be proud of this country.

As far as Obama's wife....maybe she should lighten up..she's two steps from the Lincoln bedroom...how many Western nations are close to electing a black man. um...none.
L

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 02:50:43 PM »
I wasn't proud of Bill Clinton but he was the President and I never thought to undermine his authority or not be proud of this country.

Were you on active duty at the time? 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 02:53:25 PM »

There have been many dark days during my lifetime when I haven't been proud of what we were doing. 

As far as 'spin' is concerned, in her shoes, I would say that "the pride I feel now is far greater than any I've ever experienced in my adult life...it's reached a new height that I never knew before" and leave it at that. 

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 02:55:45 PM »
I want to hear about entitled drug addicts/thieves who "come clean" ..............only when it's clear that the DEA is going to bust their sorry asses. That's what I want to hear about. TYVM.

::)  Why does this woman (sweet Cindy) have any credibility?

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 03:04:56 PM »
Hahaha.....I can't believe this woman has the gumption to open her mouth in any public forum

Team Homewreckerz for Prezident!!!!

Also,  http://www.salon.com/news/feature/1999/10/18/drugs/

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 04:29:36 PM »
Were you on active duty at the time? 

Yeah and I deployed to Bosnia and Kosovo...not thrilled but I wan't as mad at Bill as people are at Bush.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
Um I guess the fact the a possible First Lady has said she really hasn't been a proud American until her husband ran for president...I guess that factr escaped u. This will be a huge story..regardless of its merit...its pretty big. She said it twice from a prepared statement. Cindy made one short statement...no harm.....Michelle should have clarified...and she didn't.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 03:02:48 PM »
My wife can't stand McCain's wife.  She views her as a trophy wife b/c McCain left his first wife and married this one.  My wife is really big on the sanctity of marriage. 

And McCain's wife is 175 years younger than McCain to boot.

I think this would be a problem for him if it was more recent (like Rudy).

But she does look like she could be his daughter.   :-\ 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 03:10:39 PM »
I think this would be a problem for him if it was more recent (like Rudy).

But she does look like she could be his daughter.   :-\ 
Once a guy admits to adultery, my wife brands him for life.

McCain's wife's eyes have no iris or pupils...she is not of this world.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 03:15:49 PM »
Once a guy admits to adultery, my wife brands him for life.

McCain's wife's eyes have no iris or pupils...she is not of this world.

Your wife sounds like a normal woman to me.   :) 

Hey maybe his wife is a Stepford wife?   :)  Did you see Stella's thread?  http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=200489.0

If we start banning adulterers from public office the legislative halls will get awfully empty.  We'd lose the mayor of SF, the mayor of Detroit, the mayor of L.A. . . . .   

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 03:22:58 PM »
Your wife sounds like a normal woman to me.   :) 

Hey maybe his wife is a Stepford wife?   :)  Did you see Stella's thread?  http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=200489.0

If we start banning adulterers from public office the legislative halls will get awfully empty.  We'd lose the mayor of SF, the mayor of Detroit, the mayor of L.A. . . . .   
I remember we were watching a 20/20 or some show like that and this married couple divorced yet stayed friends when the man wanted to live as woman....this 'guy's' wife helped him convert or transform.

My wife said that was no excuse for leaving his wife just to go **** other guys.  She's tough my wife.

Yeah, if the adulterers are banned our halls of Congress will be pretty empty...unless of course, they "did not have sexual relations with that woman!"

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 03:39:27 PM »
I think we're past all this stuff....Europe has these things happen all the time. It bothers people but....
L

bebop396

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 10:25:08 AM »
Here is a start:

The Constitution - Constitution is being trampled on with the Patriot Act
Federal Civil Rights laws
Property Ownership - People are losing property left and right
Welfare safety net - More people on welfare now because of outsourcing
Millions . . . probably billions of humanitarian aid around the world - Billions of dollars only to fun dictatorships
Government funded assistance for disabled people - I can attest to this, and greatful for
Men and women risking their lives to serve the public (law enforcement, firefighters, armed forces) - I served in the navy, agree here...
Hundreds . . . probably thousands of nonprofit entities that serve people in need - This is true also because of good people in our country
Government funded education - Government shouldnt be involved in our education
An incredible transportation system - We have one of the worst transportation systems in the world for a civilized country
Unlimited opportunities for everyone, regardless of background - Tell that to the thousands of people losing their jobs to outsourcing...

read above comments....

I do not detest my country, i detest the rulers of the last hundred years that have corrupted our country...

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 10:35:14 AM »
Things were better previous to 1900? I think we've come along way from killing Indians and slavery.
L

bebop396

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »
Our government has gone from nationwide killing of indians and slavery to worldwide killing of innocents and enslaving whole populations of countries....Prime example is different countries of Africa....Putting whole populations of farmers out of work because of our humanitarian aid of selling rice....How can they afford the rice that we provide if they have no way of paying for it because they are in extreme poverty?

The money sent to these nations in humanitarian aid are used to fund the rich rulers....The rulers have an understanding with our govt to keep things as status quo....You really think that our govt gives them this money and they go oh gosh golly, i wish those guys would use the money we give them to help their people...Gosh golly, what we gonna do? I guess we just keep giving them more money in hopes they do the right thing....Oh, while we are at it lets provide them with a military to keep their populations in line over there....

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 02:57:22 PM »
Our government has gone from nationwide killing of indians and slavery to worldwide killing of innocents and enslaving whole populations of countries....Prime example is different countries of Africa....Putting whole populations of farmers out of work because of our humanitarian aid of selling rice....How can they afford the rice that we provide if they have no way of paying for it because they are in extreme poverty?

The money sent to these nations in humanitarian aid are used to fund the rich rulers....The rulers have an understanding with our govt to keep things as status quo....You really think that our govt gives them this money and they go oh gosh golly, i wish those guys would use the money we give them to help their people...Gosh golly, what we gonna do? I guess we just keep giving them more money in hopes they do the right thing....Oh, while we are at it lets provide them with a military to keep their populations in line over there....
[/quote

I support cutting off all aid and reevaluating who gets what. The UN is a shambles and much more to blame the the US. But I'd point my finger first to Colonial Europe...they fucked over Africa far worse then we ever could. Bush was praised for his aid to africa....
L

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 03:11:53 PM »
Regardless of your criticizms of Cindy's past behavior (which I fully agree with), Michelle's comment was still disturbing.  It seems the country and opportunities have been and continues to be good to her and her husband.  All of us have criticizms of our government and many of its policies but we still respect our country in general...for someone to say this is the first time in their life that they are proud of our country...that is very suspect, particularly for someone who very well could be our first lady.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 03:17:21 PM »
She finally qualified her remarks today. Had she done that immediatly then maybe this wouldn't be the story that it is. That said its almost gone so I guess it won't be any harm done.
L