Author Topic: Is Oprah the most powerful person in America?  (Read 17076 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Is Oprah the most powerful person in America?
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2010, 06:57:09 PM »
Blagojevich: Oprah Winfrey for Senate
Posted: June 28th, 2010

From CNN's Jillian Harding

Blagojevich considered Oprah Winfrey as a potential successor to President Obama's former Senate seat.
During his search for a successor to fill President Obama's former Senate seat, then-Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich considered picking talk show host Oprah Winfrey.

In newly- released transcripts of telephone conversations from 2008, introduced into evidence during his trial on Monday, Blagojevich made his case for Winfrey, saying she was "the king maker."

Speaking with his Chief of Staff Richard Harris, Blagojevich continued, "She made Obama."

Harris countered by saying, "So is it that you're tryin' to shed some grace on thee, by picking her?"

Later in the conversation Blagojevich returned to Winfrey, an Obama supporter, as a choice who would have mass appeal, saying, "There's nothing affirmative action about her. She's a huge success, a mega success in her own right."

He added, "Whereas some of these other candidates I put there are just clearly affirmative action. And I'm putting an African American in there... who's not nearly as qualified as some other white candidates you see what I'm saying?"

Elsewhere in the discussion, Blagojevich spoke about the potential to make history with his pick.

"You know, appointing the first African American woman U.S. senator is historic," he said, though not specifically mentioning Winfrey.

Throughout the conversations Blagojevich frequently advocated choosing an African- American successor to Obama.

CNN contacted Winfrey's office but has not yet received a response.

The ousted governor is accused of telling his former chief of staff, John Harris, that he wanted "a good gig" in exchange for an appointment to Obama's seat, either in Washington or with a lucrative private foundation.

Blagojevich was arrested in December 2008 on federal corruption charges.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/28/trending-blagojevich-oprah-winfrey-for-senate/?fbid=XPBeW4MfwYo#more-111046

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »
Maybe she can do it? 

Oprah: I want O.J. to confess to me

Her iconic talk show may be over, but Oprah Winfrey still has a dream interview.

“I have a dream of O.J. Simpson confessing to me,” Winfrey said. “And I am going to make that happen, people.”

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the remarks were made during a Q & A at the National Cable and Telecommunications Association's annual Cable Show held at Chicago’s McCormick Place Convention Center.

Paula Zahn, host of "Investigation Discovery," interviewed Winfrey Thursday, and the talk show host discussed being committed to growing her OWN network and that elusive guest she still wants to book.

“I don’t just want the interview,” Winfrey said. “I want the interview on the condition that you are ready, Mr. Simpson.”

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/17/oprah-i-want-o-j-to-confess-to-me/?hpt=hp_t2

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2011, 12:29:49 PM »
Maybe she can do it? 

Oprah: I want O.J. to confess to me

Her iconic talk show may be over, but Oprah Winfrey still has a dream interview.

“I have a dream of O.J. Simpson confessing to me,” Winfrey said. “And I am going to make that happen, people.”

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the remarks were made during a Q & A at the National Cable and Telecommunications Association's annual Cable Show held at Chicago’s McCormick Place Convention Center.

Paula Zahn, host of "Investigation Discovery," interviewed Winfrey Thursday, and the talk show host discussed being committed to growing her OWN network and that elusive guest she still wants to book.

“I don’t just want the interview,” Winfrey said. “I want the interview on the condition that you are ready, Mr. Simpson.”

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/17/oprah-i-want-o-j-to-confess-to-me/?hpt=hp_t2
Oprah Winfrey sucks and should just go away.  Hope this helps.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2011, 12:34:21 PM »
Oprah Winfrey sucks and should just go away.  Hope this helps.

She does suck.  No this doesn't help. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2011, 01:33:27 PM »
She does suck.  No this doesn't help. 
Then do us a favor and never make a post about her again.  I Know that would help.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2011, 01:36:37 PM »
Then do us a favor and never make a post about her again.  I Know that would help.

Or you could just not read it.  I know that's difficult, but give it a try. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2011, 01:50:11 PM »
That fat pig is one of the other reasons we have obamanation in office.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »
That fat pig is one of the other reasons we have obamanation in office.   

No doubt.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »
 :o

Oprah Tells Obama 'No' for Obamacare Help
Sunday, 20 Oct 2013
By Sandy Fitzgerald

Celebrities may be lining up to push the president's healthcare insurance plan, but Obamacare will not be getting any Oprahcare any time soon.

Talk show queen Oprah Winfrey, who went all out during the 2008 presidential election to help President Barack Obama win the White House, is spurning the Oval Office's advances when it comes to promoting the troubled Affordable Care Act, wrote best-selling author Ed Klein in a New York Post piece Sunday.

"The story of why Oprah has changed her tune and gone AWOL on ObamaCare goes well beyond mere gossip," wrote Klein, author of "The Amateur: Barack Obama in the White House."

Editor's Note: ObamaCare Is About to Strike Are You Prepared?

"It speaks volumes about the convergence of celebrity and politics under Obama and about a president who thinks nothing of using and then discarding his most loyal supporters."

In fact, Klein says a close advisor of Winfrey's reported the media mogul gave the White House an "immediate, flat-out, unequivocal no" when she was invited to the White House in August to discuss publicizing the president's health care plan.

White House adviser Valerie Jarrett had phoned Winfrey in August to invite her to the White House to meet with a host of other stars, including Amy Poehler, Jennifer Hudson and Alicia Keys to meet with Obama to discuss publicizing the law.

Winfrey instead sent a lower-level representative from one of her talent agencies. As the president's healthcare plan has turned into the train wreck its Republican opponents have been calling it all along, the woman who brought millions of votes to Obama's first presidential campaign has not lifted a finger to help him out.

Klein said Winfrey is still feeling snubbed because she did not get the unfettered access she expected to the Obama White House when she was stumping nationwide for him. While she campaigned heavily for him in 2008, giving her first-ever presidential endorsement, she backed away for the 2012 race, saying that she was too busy launching her new cable network, OWN, to join in the campaign.

"What was not reported was that, in return, Oprah was promised unique access to the White House if Obama won," Klein said. "She’d get regular briefings on initiatives and a heads-up on programs to give her material for her fledgling cable network, OWN."

A source close to Winfrey told Klein that there were big plans, and a team was put together to come up with proposals that would benefit them both, but nothing happened, and OWN has struggled since its debut.

"Oprah sent notes and a rep to talk to Valerie Jarrett, but nothing came of it," the source said. "It slowly dawned on Oprah that the Obamas had absolutely no intention of keeping their word and bringing her into their confidence.”

And while Winfrey has claimed she is too busy to become involved in politics, she did find time to host a recent huge fundraiser for Newark Mayor Cory Booker, who ended up winning his state's Senate seat this past week.

Winfrey's friends protest that the first lady of talk shows is on the outs with Obama and his wife Michelle. They note that Winfrey called the first lady after the 2012 election to congratulate her, and that Michelle Obama invited her to dinner with the family. But that dinner hasn't happened.

“Oprah was hoping there would be a genuine change in the atmospherics,” a friend told Klein, “But there hasn’t been. Clearly, she is being rebuffed at the level of Michelle and Valerie. And, just as obviously, President Obama hasn’t interfered on Oprah’s behalf.”
Klein noted that in "The Amateur," the first lady is jealous of Winfrey and furious that her husband was seeking her advice.

“For her part, Oprah doesn’t like being with Michelle, because the first lady is constantly one-upping the president and anybody else around her,” an Oprah advisor told Klein. “Oprah has struck back by banning the Obamas from her O, The Oprah Magazine."

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/oprah-obama-no-support/2013/10/20/id/532037#ixzz2iNugQfW8

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2016, 01:34:10 PM »
Uh oh. 

Oprah Endorses Hillary For President
From one trailblazer to another.
06/16/2016
Alana Horowitz Satlin    
Assignment Editor

John Medina/Getty Images

Oprah Winfrey has announced she is supporting Hillary Clinton for president.

You get an endorsement! And you get an endorsement!

Oprah Winfrey is supporting Hillary Clinton for president in what she called “a seminal moment for women.”

“I really believe that is going to happen,” the talk show icon told “Entertainment Tonight” on Wednesday. “I’m with her.”

Pool/Reuters
Clinton and Oprah in 1996.

It’s no surprise that Oprah, a trailblazer herself, is backing the first female nominee of a major American political party. Despite having grown up in a low-income household, the media mogul is one of the world’s only female self-made billionaires.

The news must come as a shock to presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump, who has long said he’d “love” Oprah as a running mate.

Oprah spoke up for Clinton earlier this year after rapper T.I. said he couldn’t vote for a woman to be president because of her emotions, or something.

“Honey child, hush your mouth,” she said. “You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

She wasn’t always “with her,” though. In 2007, Oprah backed then-Sen. Barack Obama over Clinton, but said that she had “great respect for Hillary Clinton.

“I think I’ve said this before and it’s true: Because I am for Barack does not mean I am against Hillary or anybody else,” she said. “I have not one negative thing to say about Hillary Clinton.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/oprah-endorses-hillary-clinton_us_57628ae6e4b05e4be860eef9

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »
Oprah Not Running for President in 2020
By Joe Crowe   |   Wednesday, 18 Oct 2017

Oprah Winfrey said she was not considering running for president in 2020.

"There will be no running for office of any kind for me," Winfrey said Wednesday on "CBS This Morning."

"CBS This Morning" cohost Gayle King introduced the question of whether Winfrey would run by asking Winfrey about her possible running mate.

"2020. I'm wondering if you've narrowed down your list of VP candidates," King said.

"She's lost her mind now. No, I haven't," Winfrey responded.

In September, Winfrey sparked speculation that she might run for president in a shout-out to a columnist for writing that she would be "Democrats' best hope in 2020."

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/oprah-winfrey-president-not-running-2020/2017/10/18/id/820507/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2018, 08:44:27 AM »
Sounds like she is trying to get people to reluctantly drag her into the race.

Gayle King: Oprah 'Intrigued' by 2020 Race, Not 'Actively Considering' It
By Sandy Fitzgerald    |   Tuesday, 09 Jan 2018

"CBS This Morning" co-host Gayle King said Tuesday she thinks her best friend, Oprah Winfrey, is "intrigued by the idea" of challenging President Donald Trump for the White House in 2020, but she's not "actively considering" a campaign.

"I absolutely don't think that her position has changed," King said during the early morning program. "I don't. You know, I was up talking to her very late last night. I do think this though, guys. I do think she's intrigued by the idea."

King continued that she also knows after years of watching Winfrey's television show, "you always have a right to change your mind."

"I don't think at this point she is actually considering it," said King. "Listen, there are people who have said they want to be her campaign manager, who want to quit their jobs and campaign for her. She loves this country and would like to be of service in some way, but I don't think that she's actively considering it."

Speculation started growing about Winfrey's political ambitions after her speech at Sunday night's Golden Globe awards, and was spurred more when her longtime companion, Stedman Graham, told the Los Angeles Times that she would "absolutely" run, but the decision was "up to the people."

King, though, said Graham had not understood the reporter's question.

"Stedman says that he thought the reporter said to him 'Would she make a good president?' And he said, 'absolutely she would,'" said King. "Stedman would never so cavalierly say absolutely she would do it, it's up to the people. He would never do that."

Meanwhile, King said the Golden Globes producers had wanted Winfrey to cut her speech to about three minutes long. She insisted in keeping it at six minutes, and after applause was factored in, it timed out at nine minutes.

"I think the producers thought that was worth going late for," King said. "She wanted that moment to be more than women wearing black dresses of solidarity. She really did want to speak to young girls around the country."

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/gayle-king-oprah-presidential-bid/2018/01/09/id/835993/

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2018, 09:48:33 AM »
I could def see her beating Trump (course I thought Hillary was going to win) due to higher voter turnout/black vote.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2018, 10:04:09 AM »
I could def see her beating Trump (course I thought Hillary was going to win) due to higher voter turnout/black vote.

I think she would have a hard enough time in a primary versus a Bernie Sanders type.

The Progressive Left would come UNGLUED if The DNC tried to pull shenanigans and gift her the nomination.

This whole thing reeks of a cheap publicity stunt.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2018, 10:06:41 AM »
She gives a speech to a bunch of hypocritical Hollywood degenerates and people are ready to make her Commander in Chief?  I don't think so. 

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »
She gives a speech to a bunch of hypocritical Hollywood degenerates and people are ready to make her Commander in Chief?  I don't think so. 

That's what Obama did.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2018, 10:50:00 AM »
That's what Obama did.

True.  His 2004 speech put him in the spotlight.  Oprah helped push him across the finish line in 08. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »

so what

Trump made speeches to a bunch of scared bigots, racists and morons and they made him POTUS

As we all know, the only "qualification" for the job is winning the electoral college

Nothing else matters

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2018, 11:08:05 AM »

Trump made speeches to a bunch of scared bigots, racists and morons and they made him POTUS

Quite true. It was great how he exposed you and your type so voters could choose otherwise.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2018, 12:04:47 PM »
so what

As we all know, the only "qualification" for the job is winning the electoral college

Nothing else matters

How is your 401k doing?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2018, 12:15:26 PM »
How is your 401k doing?

I don't have a 401k

I have a SEP IRA

It's been doing fine for the last 6 or 7 years

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2018, 04:32:00 PM »

It matters not who she gave the speech to. What matters is what she said. Most agree that it was very powerful and relevant.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2018, 04:59:09 PM »
We already had one female black communist potus.   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2018, 05:42:37 PM »
We already had one female black communist potus.   

Not to worry, Oprah is probably too smart to take on that thankless job.  But if she did, it would be groundbreaking and amazing. Many folks (like you) would probably have to off themselves.  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2018, 05:59:06 PM »
It matters not who she gave the speech to. What matters is what she said. Most agree that it was very powerful and relevant.

Really?  What did she say that so profound?