Author Topic: Alternate ways to hit the bicep  (Read 1750 times)

endless_raine

• Getbig II
Alternate ways to hit the bicep
« on: February 24, 2008, 04:05:30 AM »
Hey.
 I do full body workout however I'm starting to feel really tired of bicep curls and such. So there any other way to hit that bicep and get fairly the amount of results by using a different method of training? examples like pull ups or dips? Would that help? Thank you .

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Re: Alternate ways to hit the bicep
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 04:11:03 AM »
You could try chin ups with a close under hand grip. But curls are the best for bi's. Dips are for triceps.
No doubt about it...

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 07:42:47 AM »
Hey.
 I do full body workout however I'm starting to feel really tired of bicep curls and such. So there any other way to hit that bicep and get fairly the amount of results by using a different method of training? examples like pull ups or dips? Would that help? Thank you .

you could try the curls like recomended and when your on the way down dont let your arms straighten and try to focus on keeping the strain on the bicep also one form of curls i relaly love are lying down cable curls...good luck

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 03:29:27 AM »
Drag curls; lift a BB from the bottom all the way up to your neck while keeping it against your body.

Or don't do direct bicep work, just rely on chins and rows with underhand grip that will exaggerate the biceps portion, or other indirect exercises like cleans.

In general though, being "tired" of curls doesn't cut it; there are many variations: incline curls, cable curls, lying curls as mentioned. From all of those you can find things to keep it fresh.

endless_raine

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 04:03:24 AM »
Drag curls; lift a BB from the bottom all the way up to your neck while keeping it against your body.

Or don't do direct bicep work, just rely on chins and rows with underhand grip that will exaggerate the biceps portion, or other indirect exercises like cleans.

In general though, being "tired" of curls doesn't cut it; there are many variations: incline curls, cable curls, lying curls as mentioned. From all of those you can find things to keep it fresh.

yea. Thank you for the infos. I'm just tired tired of curls.. just.. it doesn't feel good doing them. I would pick shoulder raise before them anytime.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 08:26:09 AM »
Drag Curls are a fine biceps exercise. Bend the knees slightly and keep the bar touching the body (elbows straight back, never flaring out) throughout the movement. Hence the name Drag Curl. You can go just about as high as the lower pecs. The contraction is very strong at that point. Of course it would be impossible to go all the way up to the neck area from that curling position.

Might also investigate the one arm Olympic BB curl. First choice over a exercise bar because it is longer and that much harder to handle.  Going to call upon supporting arm and forearm muscles not usually recruited by normal curling exercise. Try it and see for yourself.  Cable curls may be a close second in this regard. I loved these things in my younger day when first starting lifting with serious intent.

Some other suggestions to relieve boredom when curling: Consider the Reverse BB Curl, as another forgotten bicep exercise that few BB'ers do now a days. Some may think it is only a forearm exercise but it can be an excellent bicep builder. Try a false grip (thumbs over the bar) from time to time for a different slant to the Reverse Curl. Keep the elbows glued to the sides throughout.

And Also: 1)Sit on the end of a bench (elbows resting on the end of the bench) and curl a BB up (applied to a DB also) from that position. That close grip and angle of the arms should give a very strong feel to the biceps themselves. 2)Try curling a BB when on an Incline bench. Bar resting on the mid thighs to start. At the top/finish position lift the elbows up as high as you can and contract/flex the biceps strongly for a second or so. Lower and repeat from the bottom position. 3)Can also do DB Incline curls, with the DB's hanging all the way down to the sides of the bench. A  prime mass builder. 4)Sit on a bench, BB resting on the lap, and do curls that way. A little more than a half way curl but a very effective movement.

Than there are Cheating curls, a true mass builder when done right. The point being, that every rep from start to finish is done in a cheating style. Not just the last few reps of a heavy set, but every rep. But never take that exercise to the point where you are doing reverse cleans. With a cheating style you are in complete control (or should be) of the movement from start to finish. A lot of guy's fail to understand that and allow too much weight to be used. Really defeating the whole purpose of the cheat curl. It is a form of the overload system.

To me, there is nothing more boring and a waste of time than doing any form of direct bicep or tricep exercise. For anyone else, than great and good for them if they need (or think they need) bicep/triceps exercises. I have not done direct arm work in years. No big deal, just my feelings. Good Luck.

F

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:18:37 AM »

Might also investigate the one arm Olympic BB curl.

Absurd in terms of practical 21st century exercise; that's for old farts. The pic below is more contemporary. ::)

Drag Curls are a fine biceps exercise. Bend the knees slightly and keep the bar touching the body (elbows straight back, never flaring out) throughout the movement. Hence the name Drag Curl. You can go just about as high as the lower pecs. The contraction is very strong at that point. Of course it would be impossible to go all the way up to the neck area from that curling position.

Attribution would be better, as it was already mentioned. ::)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 01:22:41 PM »
One arm Olympic bar curls for a different slant of building biceps. Keeping tension on the arm throughout, even by the  fact of keeping a center of balance while curling. Great forearm/wrist developer also. Of course, as we all should know, 20th century exercises have build mass monsters by the thousands. Actually some of those exercise have been around since the late 19th century. Maybe the 21th century will break through with advance training methods on a BowFlex. 21" guns maybe be common place, even on middleweights, from that glory machine.

Drag curls up to the neck suggested by someone who may need a little more time learning about exercise mechanics. Or who has never done a Drag curl except when in drag. Good luck.
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 03:19:37 PM »
i see nothing wrong with ditching curls for a month or two... it really depends on your goals... if you don't mind having wimpy biceps then don't curl  :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 03:14:58 PM »
alternate hanging dumbbell curls.

on an incline bench, facing the bench.

endless_raine

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 04:57:10 PM »
i see nothing wrong with ditching curls for a month or two... it really depends on your goals... if you don't mind having wimpy biceps then don't curl  :)

hahahaha. I like that reply. actually. I'm not a hardcore body builder, I'm just aiming to workout for a healthy life. That's all. There are so many ways to work out your arm. I ask for alternate route because it feels so much pain doing regular curls and the movement. I guess some people just perform differently... I don't feel right doing them, kindda like should shoulder raise for some people. but Definitely try out with drag curls. A quick question is, is it okay to workout your tricep and not your bicep? Would that be any significant as working your quats but not your hams? Cause my track coach told me that if you work out your quat and not your hams together, it would harm you in a  way.

mcb650

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 12:02:05 AM »
Your biceps would get some indirect work from the training of other muscle groups (like back), but it wouldn't be as focused as targeting the bi's specifically. I guess you could get away with it, I honestly don't know. I've never known anyone with such an aversion to curls, lol. Have you tried preacher curls? Pretty standard exercise, basically impossible to screw up your form. You won't get everything you would get out of a more well-rounded routine, but at least you'd be targeting the bi's specifically with a really easy routine. Like someone else mentioned, cables are a great option too. I have a feeling you're just not liking the barbells and dumbbells, which is understandable since they're more difficult and fatiguing. Since you're just going for overall health and not a career as a fitness model or bodybuilder, you should be fine with lower impact stuff. Just challenge yourself a little and pay attention to form and you should be fine.

As for your triceps, they're probably more important to train anyhow because they make up about 2/3 of your upper arm. I wouldn't neglect your bi's entirely, but I doubt it'll kill you, so, uh, I guess go with what you like to do.  ;D

Titus Oates

• Getbig I
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 03:53:57 AM »
You could try the Zottman curl - it seems to help bicep development if used correctly. However as has been stated - curls are the most effective method of bicep development