Author Topic: The ICON - Steve Reeves  (Read 20359 times)

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: The ICON - Steve Reeves
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 02:22:28 AM »
Considering the salary he was getting he was a "A" actor.  No director/producer would pay a "B" level actor $250,000.

Unfortunately most of his movies were "sword and sandals" and the leading men at the time (Hudson, Cooper) probably refused to work with him because his physique next to theirs would take away attention from them. The Euro movies paid more and thats where he went. Those S&S movies were popular during that era. Reeves was more of an action hero type rather than a marlon brando/Gary cooper type.

I do think it was a mistake to turn down the Bond role even though it paid less because that role may have taken his career to another level. We'll never know. This thread is about Steve the bodybuilder not Steve the actor

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 02:27:34 AM »
Considering the salary he was getting he was a "A" actor.  No director/producer would pay a "B" level actor $250,000.

Unfortunately most of his movies were "sword and sandals" and the leading men at the time (Hudson, Cooper) probably refused to work with him because his physique next to theirs would take away attention from them. The Euro movies paid more and thats where he went. Those S&S movies were popular during that era. Reeves was more of an action hero type rather than a marlon brando/Gary cooper type.
Haha. Stallone gets a fortune for his movies, but no one would call him an actor. I think you're getting 'movie star' and 'actor' confused. Hollywood is a combination of art and money. Reeves was definitely the latter part. Nice try, tho. 

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 02:35:23 AM »
I think you're getting too technical with the jargon. Anyone "acting out" a part could be referred to as a actor. its just a general term.

Okay lets say- Steve the euro movie star.

Happy?

FrenchFrie

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 02:36:34 AM »
i have a hard time believing him when he said he just worked out one month a year, in "may" haha, why need to lie about things like this, especially when you see pics of him with barbells on a movie set .

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 02:48:12 AM »
I think you're getting too technical with the jargon

Okay lets say- Steve the euro movie star.

Happy?
Hehe. No. I'm up early and grumpy. My point is: don't come here and piss up our legs and call it rain. 'Sword and sandals,' like the later 'spaghetti westerns' were low-budget movies. That some later became classics is incidental. In the bbing realm Reeves is an icon, in the movie realm he could be likened to Jayne Mansfield.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2008, 03:07:42 AM »
Easy there boy. This thread wasnt started to discuss Steve's acting career.

He chose to stick with the "action figure" roles because it was popular at the time and he didnt go for dramatic roles. No one is disputing that he went where the money was. Greek heroes tarzan movies and spaggeti westerns were a rage back then. Steve gambled on S&S roles which had its time and then the audience moved on. If clint eastwood had stuck only to westerns and not done dirty harry and the like he would be classified as "B" level actor as well. 

I'm not calling Steve the greatest "movie star" of his era or even the greatest ever bodybuilder. For some of us at getbig he is a icon in bodybuilding and a inspiration.
Lets leave it at that and not turn this into a nasser thread.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2008, 03:13:05 AM »
I doubt he had a 52 inch chest

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2008, 03:14:44 AM »
Easy there boy. This thread wasnt started to discuss Steve's acting career.

He chose to stick with the "action figure" roles because it was popular at the time and he didnt go for dramatic roles. No one is disputing that he went where the money was. Greek heroes tarzan movies and spaggeti westerns were a rage back then. Steve gambled on S&S roles which had its time and then the audience moved on. If clint eastwood had stuck only to westerns and not done dirty harry and the like he would be classified as "B" level actor as well. 

I'm not calling Steve the greatest "movie star" of his era or even the greatest ever bodybuilder. For some of us at getbig he is a icon in bodybuilding and a inspiration.
Lets leave it at that and not turn this into a nasser thread.

I'm just here to make sure you don't.  :)

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2008, 03:19:15 AM »
I'm just here to make sure you don't.  :)

No danger of that.
 I havent ordered any underwear or other sports memorobilia from steves estate. Nor have i started a team to troll around the board claiming steve trumps everyone.  We're just laid back chillin' discussing one of the icons (not THE ICON) of bodybuilding yesteryear.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 03:24:56 AM »
No danger of that.
 I havent ordered any underwear or other sports memorobilia from steves estate. Nor have i started a team to troll around the board claiming steve trumps everyone.
LOL. Those are the danger signs alright. Wonder if bobs is up?

/there is a reeves tribute thread somewhere on this board, i think

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 03:35:45 AM »

/there is a reeves tribute thread somewhere on this board, i think

I could be wrong but there is no team reeves...is there?. I hope not.

A single tribute thread is not the same as spamming  said bodybuilder in every thread possible and spin arguements when challenged.

Whether you like reeves or not is immaterial to me.
I presume you have your opinions and i'll have mine and I have no interest in forcing you to see my point of view.
So...we cool? :)

Da Freak

• Getbig IV
  • Get BIG! Or DIE trying!
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 03:59:27 AM »
Ok, anyone for Team Reeves? ;)

/h2

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2008, 05:00:20 AM »
This is my favorite

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2008, 06:37:21 AM »
I could be wrong but there is no team reeves...is there?. I hope not.

A single tribute thread is not the same as spamming  said bodybuilder in every thread possible and spin arguements when challenged.

Whether you like reeves or not is immaterial to me.
I presume you have your opinions and i'll have mine and I have no interest in forcing you to see my point of view.
So...we cool? :)

As ice. I'm surprised there hasn't been a Team Reeves. God knows that if Nasser rates one, Reeves should have a league.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 07:42:43 AM »
classic dbol only physique 8)
175lbs by 31st July

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2008, 10:32:54 AM »
TTT!!!
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2008, 10:34:12 AM »
Great face...
The Number 2 in Scranton

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2008, 11:06:25 AM »
LOL. 'Turned down' and 'being considered for' are movie terms for not good enough. Look, he was bbing icon and 'b' actor, nothing more. Don't try to convince us he was the second coming of Marlon Brando.

hahah, sounds like a typical Hollywood myth that the public loves to buy...Im sure he was never offered the part of Bond, he may have been on the casting list but that doesnt mean he was promised the part...He did not have the acting talent to pull off James Bond or any other demanding role.

Also, no one has ever been discovered sitting at an ice cream parlor, or just walking down the street...that is another Hollywood myth that is always banded about, especially about women...They did this for hype and also because the American public could never accept an ambition, career oriented women who got educated and made it on her own by her own devices, she always had to be "discovered" by someone.

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2008, 11:33:28 AM »

I wonder why he turned down the james bond role.

I bet this is a bit of an urban legend.  I doubt he was actually offered the role.  Bond is an iconic British figure.  Doubt Reeves could have pulled off an english accent.

I agree that Reeves was one of the greats.  Always great to see new pictures showing off his classic physique to inspire us to work for something other than the bloated look of the pros today.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2008, 01:16:47 PM »
classic dbol only physique 8)

To bad D-Bol wasn't created until years after Reeves retired.  ;)

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2008, 01:46:50 PM »
GH15 SAYS OTHERWISE  >:(

and he is correct in this case 8) reeves was the first of many to dabble. ;)
175lbs by 31st July

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2008, 02:13:15 PM »
GH15 SAYS OTHERWISE  >:(

and he is correct in this case 8) reeves was the first of many to dabble. ;)

lmfao if you're quoting that moron you need help , again D-bol was NOT even invented until years after Reeves retired you or gh15 can't change that fact.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2008, 02:21:11 PM »
all drugs

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »
All genetics

Master Blaster