Author Topic: Draft talk  (Read 25412 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Draft talk
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2008, 12:26:13 PM »
I agree. That's the point I'm trying to make. The Ravens don't really know how Flacco will turn out until he steps out on the field. Time will tell. Hopefully, He ends up being a shit load better than Boller.

True.  No one knows.  I haven't seen Flacco play, so I have no opinion about him.

On the other hand, we often see players rise up draft boards based on measurables, including QBs who can throw the ball 75 yards from their knees.  That's partly why Boller became such a high draft pick.   

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2008, 01:09:22 PM »
It was actually just 60 yards from his kness. Which is still pretty impressive.

But who really gives a shit if you can't play football on the highest level?

body88

« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2008, 01:19:30 PM »
I don't know as much as you about your local media but there isn't a team in the NFL who didn't rank Flacco at least in the first two rounds on their draft boards. Call me crazy but I'll trust the evaluations of actual NFL teams and scouting rather than your local media.

And wasn't Flacco a freshman or sophomore when he transferred to Delaware? Ever heard of learning curve where players actually get better as they progress through college? could it be he was playing behind elder classmen who were recruited and brought into the program before Flacco even got there? Maybe the offense PITT was running didn't cater to Flacco's strenghts? Division one athletes transfer to other schools all the time for a chance to compete for a starting QB position.

If he ends up being another Kyle Boller, then you were right all along. But until then, you don't know shit.

Don't listen to the reach bullshit. The pats "reached" for Logan Mankins in 2005, and he is now one of the best O linemen in the NFL (played in his first probowl this year). Different players develope at different times. Flacco could be "the guy". People act as if Drafting Tom Brady's and Payton Manning's is easy.

Big ben suffered from his own share of doubts when he was drafted. Flacco is a big, strong kid, with good vision and a cannon arm. Mirrors the ravens perfectly, and was a good choice imo.

These draft knicks (aside from mayock) are wrong 99 percent of the time.

body88

« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2008, 01:21:15 PM »
The "experts" are wrong about as much as they are right.  For example, here are some of Len Pasquarelli's and Mel Kiper's draft grades right after the 2003 and 2004 drafts.

The Ravens got an "A+" for the year they drafted Kyle Boller
The 49ers got a "B" for the year they drafted Rashaun Woods and Derek Hamilton
The Colts got a "C" for the year they took Bob Sanders
The Steelers got a "C+" and "B," respectively, for the years they got Polamalu and Roethlisberger

Aside from Mayock the experts are complete morons.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2008, 01:23:46 PM »
I don't know as much as you about your local media but there isn't a team in the NFL who didn't rank Flacco at least in the first two rounds on their draft boards. Call me crazy but I'll trust the evaluations of actual NFL teams and scouting rather than your local media.

And wasn't Flacco a freshman or sophomore when he transferred to Delaware? Ever heard of learning curve where players actually get better as they progress through college? could it be he was playing behind elder classmen who were recruited and brought into the program before Flacco even got there? Maybe the offense PITT was running didn't cater to Flacco's strenghts? Division one athletes transfer to other schools all the time for a chance to compete for a starting QB position.

If he ends up being another Kyle Boller, then you were right all along. But until then, you don't know shit.

many if not most nfl teams didn't have flacco as a top 20 guy and he wasn't even considered a 1st rounder until the combine ie KYLE BOLLER ;)

Tyler Palko and Luke Getsy were in the Pitt program one year longer than Flacco, I would think a guy worthy of being a 1st rounder can beat out two undrafted free agents

as far as the Pitt offense goes, they play a PRO STYLE offense so if he couldn't handle that how do expect him to play in the pros?  

he's a 6'6 qb with a strong arm that played well against inferior competition, why that makes him all of a sudden better than guys like henne and brohm who played and succeeded against strong competion I don't know

not hating, just telling it how it is :)

E
E

body88

« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2008, 01:26:12 PM »
many if not most nfl teams didn't have flacco as a top 20 guy and he wasn't even considered a 1st rounder until the combine ie KYLE BOLLER ;)

Tyler Palko and Luke Getsy were in the Pitt program one year longer than Flacco, I would think a guy worthy of being a 1st rounder can beat out two undrafted free agents

as far as the Pitt offense goes, they play a PRO STYLE offense so if he couldn't handle that how do expect him to play in the pros?  

he's a 6'6 qb with a strong arm that played well against inferior competition, why that makes him all of a sudden better than guys like henne and brohm who played and succeeded against strong competion I don't know

not hating, just telling it how it is :)

E

Do you really think NFL scouts on the Ravens didnt take anything you asid into account? All the experts had logan mankins as a giant reach when the pats picked him, he is now better then 99 percent of the O linemen in the NFL. Just because a guy fails in a system, does not mean he all the sudden can't play in the pros. You are talking about young kids here, maturity comes into play.

My point is that millions of dollars go into scouting on every single NFL team. Teams make mistakes (Boller) but to claim the draft goons who are wrong 99 percent of the time have more insight then an orginazation with a good draft record is ludacris.

Let the kid start and NFL down before you rip him. As for an inferior program, what round did Willt Parker go in?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2008, 01:28:41 PM »

Do you really think NFL scouts on the Ravens didnt take anything you asid into account? All the experts had logan mankins as a giant reach when the pats picked him, he is now better then 99 percent of the O linemen in the NFL.

of course they did

what is your point?

E
E

body88

« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2008, 01:30:24 PM »
of course they did

what is your point?

E

You are making my point. Until the kid fails, why are you acting as if the ravens dont draft well? I'm sure they put a lot of thought into this after the Boller mistake.

I dont think your evaluation ( or the talking heads) was even 1/10th as in depth as the ravens was. From the film I have seen on this kid, he has all the tools to be a legit NFL qb. Hell, if he turns into a Drew Bledsoe type player, I'm sure the ravens will be as happy as a pig in shit.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2008, 01:40:08 PM »
You are making my point. Until the kid fails, why are you acting as if the ravens dont draft well? I'm sure they put a lot of thought into this after the Boller mistake.

I dont think your evaluation ( or the talking heads) was even 1/10th as in depth as the raevns was.

I don't think flacco was a good pick, why is this an issue with you?

I think they wanted ryan bad, got desperate and did all that they could to get who they thought was the next best guy

and do the ravens draft well?  sure suggs and ngata were great picks but draft results are shown on the field and i'm not impressed with a team that hasn't won a playoff game since 2002

E
E

body88

« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2008, 01:44:06 PM »
I don't think flacco was a good pick, why is this an issue with you?

I think they wanted ryan bad, got desperate and did all that they could to get who they thought was the next best guy

and do the ravens draft well?  sure suggs and ngata were great picks but draft results are shown on the field and i'm not impressed with a team that hasn't won a playoff game since 2002

E

No issue, just trying to argue my point. You have a right to your opinion (of course). I think Flacco is being called a bust by a lot of peolpe before he even has a chance. Honestly, Brohm has injury concerns, and the kid from Michigan has a lot of the same "issues" as Flacco is supposed to have.

I think that Flacco is more durable than Brohm, and that why they took him.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2008, 01:48:13 PM »
No issue, just trying to argue my point. You have a right to your opinion (of course). I think Flacco is being called a bust by a lot of peolpe before he even has a chance. Honestly, Brohm has injury concerns, and the kid from Michigan has a lot of the same "issues" as Flacco is supposed to have.

I think that Flacco is more durable than Brohm, and that why they took him.

he might turn out to be a great qb, i just have many doubts

i think brohm was a 1st round talent but he played on a bad louisville team and had a new coach, he should've came out last year

henne was a 4 year starter at Michigan, that says a lot imo

E
E

body88

« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2008, 02:00:09 PM »
he might turn out to be a great qb, i just have many doubts

i think brohm was a 1st round talent but he played on a bad louisville team and had a new coach, he should've came out last year

henne was a 4 year starter at Michigan, that says a lot imo

E

True, my only concern with Brohm is how hard they rode him at Louisville. As for Henne he was on a talented football team(with a very good offensive line), so in the same way you can take away from Flacco shining around inferior talent, you can take away from Hene enjoying a very good supporting cast. Hene started, but he had his issues.

Only time will tell.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2008, 05:17:46 PM »
LMAO at all the 'experts' on ESPN grading the draft two days after it happenend.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2008, 10:31:02 PM »
ANY COWBOY FANS HERE....
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE WASTE OF THE FIRST ROUND PICKS..
MAN O MAN MY FRIED THREW HIS BEER AT THE TV WHEN THEY PICKED FELIX JONES WHILE THE KID FROM ILL WAS STILL THERE...I THOUGHT IT WAS AN ALRIGHT PICK. THE FUNNIEST  PICK WAS THE FIRST ROUND PICK FOR A SLOW CORNER OUT OF SOUTH FLORIDA...I CANT EVEN FIND HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS KID...WHAT A WASTE OF A COUPLE OF PICKS

I'm a Cowboys fan and I think it was a pretty good draft on paper. We have to wait and see how well the guys they picked do and I was hoping to get a receiver with speed.

As far as Felix over Mendenhall, I think they went for the switch up as opposed to drafting a back that is another Marion Barber III.

Jones could be overated or he could hopefully end up like Priest Holmes.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2008, 02:10:19 AM »
I'm a Cowboys fan and I think it was a pretty good draft on paper. We have to wait and see how well the guys they picked do and I was hoping to get a receiver with speed.

As far as Felix over Mendenhall, I think they went for the switch up as opposed to drafting a back that is another Marion Barber III.

Jones could be overated or he could hopefully end up like Priest Holmes.

Tank, TO, Pacman, Romo spells eventual locker room meltdown in the future for the Cowboys. 

body88

« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2008, 07:37:53 AM »
ANY COWBOY FANS HERE....
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE WASTE OF THE FIRST ROUND PICKS..
MAN O MAN MY FRIED THREW HIS BEER AT THE TV WHEN THEY PICKED FELIX JONES WHILE THE KID FROM ILL WAS STILL THERE...I THOUGHT IT WAS AN ALRIGHT PICK. THE FUNNIEST  PICK WAS THE FIRST ROUND PICK FOR A SLOW CORNER OUT OF SOUTH FLORIDA...I CANT EVEN FIND HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS KID...WHAT A WASTE OF A COUPLE OF PICKS

Are you talking about Mike Jenkins? Jenkins ran a 4.38 at the combine, and one of the best db's in the country all year. Jenkins def was not a waste of a pick, and there is a ton of film out there on him.

As for Jones, I think the kid averaged 9.0 yards a carry this year. If you watch him run, he is a better pure runner than Mcfadden. Mcfadden is fast, but he has twigg legs and does not chance directions well. He was always running up his blockers legs in college. Jones will be a very good NFL runner, and he is the perfect compliment to a banger like Barber IMO.

The best back in this draft is going to be Stewart, mark it down. The kid is a beast, 235 lbs - 4.4 forty - between the tackles runner, who plays fast and is shifty enough to return kicks.He reminds me of clock killin Corey Dillon, just faster.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2008, 09:28:43 AM »
The kid branch was a better corner IMO....good reaction to those quick west coast offense type of routes. Another Barber in the making. He gets Physical...

The jenkins kid looked slow in the draft hightlights and he didnt have a very impressive year... and they moved up for him...that was a major reach.

As for Felix. Dude im not saying he sucked. But with the Ill kid still on the board (who is faster than barber) i would have taken the proven every down back.

Are you talking about Mike Jenkins? Jenkins ran a 4.38 at the combine, and one of the best db's in the country all year. Jenkins def was not a waste of a pick, and there is a ton of film out there on him.

As for Jones, I think the kid averaged 9.0 yards a carry this year. If you watch him run, he is a better pure runner than Mcfadden. Mcfadden is fast, but he has twigg legs and does not chance directions well. He was always running up his blockers legs in college. Jones will be a very good NFL runner, and he is the perfect compliment to a banger like Barber IMO.

The best back in this draft is going to be Stewart, mark it down. The kid is a beast, 235 lbs - 4.4 forty - between the tackles runner, who plays fast and is shifty enough to return kicks.He reminds me of clock killin Corey Dillon, just faster.

body88

« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2008, 10:21:36 AM »
The kid branch was a better corner IMO....good reaction to those quick west coast offense type of routes. Another Barber in the making. He gets Physical...

The jenkins kid looked slow in the draft hightlights and he didnt have a very impressive year... and they moved up for him...that was a major reach.

As for Felix. Dude im not saying he sucked. But with the Ill kid still on the board (who is faster than barber) i would have taken the proven every down back.

I know what you are saying... I cant agree though, I think the whole reach thing is crap. Different players are rated different ways in a teams system ( ob you know this). After I said WTF when the pats selected Logan Makins in the first round back in 05, and then I watched him mature into a top linemen in the NFL i stopped talking about reaches.

Look at Reggie Bush, two years later it looks like Maroney and Addai were the far better value much lower in the first round. Addai was considered a reach in the first round by all the experts.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2008, 10:46:45 AM »
I was truly surprised by a lot of the picks I saw.  I think Denver got a steal on Josh Barrett.  He was a projected 1st or 2nd rounder and I think the Broncos will see good things from him.  In fact, many teams are getting some potentially good players without having to spend the money on a first rounder.

Wouldn't it be something if Booty grew a pair and became a real QB?

Squishy face retard

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2008, 09:05:51 AM »
I think the Eagles got the most explosive player in the draft with Desean Jackson...he's a playmaker.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
I think the Eagles got the most explosive player in the draft with Desean Jackson...he's a playmaker.

WHY DID HE GO SO LATE...BECAUSE HE IS SHORT?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2008, 10:51:15 AM »
WHY DID HE GO SO LATE...BECAUSE HE IS SHORT?

Because he is 160-something pounds. 

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2008, 07:03:04 PM »
Because he is 160-something pounds. 

I think he'll be the steal of the draft...I love the fact that he's been working with Jerry Rice. I heard Rice was pissed off that San Fran didn't take him.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2008, 08:59:54 PM »
Tank, TO, Pacman, Romo spells eventual locker room meltdown in the future for the Cowboys. 

Are you kidding me?

I think this is going to get us back to the glory days of the White House and Super Bowls!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2008, 11:13:22 PM »
I think he'll be the steal of the draft...I love the fact that he's been working with Jerry Rice. I heard Rice was pissed off that San Fran didn't take him.

I was talking to a Cal grad the other day who saw him play and is very high on him. 

I think Colt Brennan will be the SOD.