Author Topic: According to Palumbo, only 8g of protein is absorbed per hour ?!?!?!  (Read 9481 times)

Stavios

"I'm not a big fan of taking specific amino acids pre post and intra workouts. When dieting, just space your meals according to your workouts. If you're eating the right amount of protein and fats, you won't lose muscle. Remember, that food protein gets absorbed at 8g protein per hour, therefore, 1/2lb red meat takes about 6 hours to completely assimilate........ that means you'll have a constant trickle of amino acids into the bloodstream during that time."

so anybody only needs 192gr of protein per day ?
seems really low

aliamini

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm that damn good
Re: According to Palumbo, only 8g of protein is absorbed per hour ?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 11:03:46 AM »
That information could be from a research … I know that Dave himself uses up to and more than 250g protein with some of his clients … each body is different and I don’t think anyone can set a standard or common formula for protein absorption …

Beef takes up to 24 hours for the body to actually digest it, convert it to amino acids / peptides and make use of it.  Milk takes 8 hours to do so …

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 11:05:47 AM »
The intra workout shake is completely missing the point obviously, just like the eating of bananas during cycling races is useless.

The workout shake thing could be useful if you started training first thing in the morning on an empty stomach

ScottWelch

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 11:11:50 AM »
With a degree in nutrition and having been in the supplement industry for over 10 years now, I've never heard of the "8 grams of protein per hour" rule?  I would love for Dave to reference the study that showed this.

Stavios

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »
That information could be from a research … I know that Dave himself uses up to and more than 250g protein with some of his clients … each body is different and I don’t think anyone can set a standard or common formula for protein absorption …

Beef takes up to 24 hours for the body to actually digest it, convert it to amino acids / peptides and make use of it.  Milk takes 8 hours to do so …

24 hours ?

so you think beef isn't the best choice of protein source then ?

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 11:21:51 AM »
ummm..it depends on what foods you eat with the protein and what type of protein. u fucking idiots. everything gets used but the uptake can take hours, just another reason why the eat protein every 3 hours rule is bs.

palbombo doesnt know shit. bodybuilders still live in the dark ages.

aliamini

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm that damn good
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 11:28:50 AM »
24 hours ?

Beef if a fantastic choice ... you just have to know what u r eating and how long it will stay to get in your system ... Beef Vs. WPI ... of course the WPI is much faster but the muscle building quality you get from beef is more solid ... you have to use a combination and know when to use what. 

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
ummm..it depends on what foods you eat with the protein and what type of protein. u fucking idiots. everything gets used but the uptake can take hours, just another reason why the eat protein every 3 hours rule is bs.

palbombo doesnt know shit. bodybuilders still live in the dark ages.

absolutely true, but it's amazing how much of this bs gets taken as factual by so many sports nutritionists

if it wasn't for the invention of exogenous testosterone all these myths would have been debunked many years ago. rather ironic that steroids have proved to be the greatest boon to the supplement industry.

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 11:47:29 AM »
24 hours ?

Its a safe choice because like casein it slowly alocates the aminos so over a 24 hr peroid you are always having a supply other than your own muscle.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 11:48:06 AM »
absolutely true, but it's amazing how much of this bs gets taken as factual by so many sports nutritionists

if it wasn't for the invention of exogenous testosterone all these myths would have been debunked many years ago. rather ironic that steroids have proved to be the greatest boon to the supplement industry.

the fact is bodybuilders dont know shit about nuttin. they dont understand nutrition or training, and anytime that i can be bothered to log on here (almost never these days) i see the same bs discussed. (gotta eat every three hours, is this a good chest routine? bla bla)

bodybuilding is all drugs, and the drugs mask all the mistakes they do. so they really havent got a reason to learn anything new.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 11:51:01 AM »
and protein supplement industry laughing all the way to the bank. People who say they get bigger when they up their protein to like 3-400grams, it's probably due to increased calories.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 11:51:20 AM »

bodybuilding is all drugs, and the drugs mask all the mistakes they do. so they really havent got a reason to learn anything new.
hey man...i am interested in what knowledge you posess. honestly.

could you tell me whta is, in your opinion, the biggest mistake that most bb'ers make that hinders their gains the most?

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 11:52:24 AM »
Its a safe choice because like casein it slowly alocates the aminos so over a 24 hr peroid you are always having a supply other than your own muscle.

::)

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 11:54:19 AM »

could you tell me whta is, in your opinion, the biggest mistake that most bb'ers make that hinders their gains the most?

eating excessive amounts of egg whites and broccoli... ::)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 11:54:49 AM »
"I'm not a big fan of taking specific amino acids pre post and intra workouts. When dieting, just space your meals according to your workouts. If you're eating the right amount of protein and fats, you won't lose muscle. Remember, that food protein gets absorbed at 8g protein per hour, therefore, 1/2lb red meat takes about 6 hours to completely assimilate........ that means you'll have a constant trickle of amino acids into the bloodstream during that time."

so anybody only needs 192gr of protein per day ?
seems really low
palumbo is very smart. i look up to him in many areas...mostly knowledge of anabolics.  ;D    BUT, he is of point on the workout nutrition.

the thing is...bcaa's can be instantized. leuicine can be intsantized. whey is pre digested.  all of these will hit the blood stream immideitly. like he said....WHOLE FOODS take long time to digest.   shakes are not whole food!

AND there is a huge great deal of science supporting having concentrated amounts of aminos, specifically bcaa's and leucine, during and immidietly post workout.    

Stavios

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 11:55:57 AM »
and protein supplement industry laughing all the way to the bank. People who say they get bigger when they up their protein to like 3-400grams, it's probably due to increased calories.

lets say someone use steroids

their role is to increase protein synthesis. So someone on steroids can eat more than the 8 grams Palumbo mentions and it would still be absorbed ?

discuss

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 11:56:31 AM »
eating excessive amounts of egg whites and broccoli... ::)
if you are dieting there is no better meal than 50 grams egg whites, as much broccoli as you can eat, and 10 grams efa's..(id go with 6 omega-3, 3 omega-6, 1 omega-9.)

phenom

• Getbig II
  • The better you look the more you see
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 11:57:14 AM »
I thought the whole point of mixing WMS with amino acids is that its used immediately. The WMS acts as the carrier by which the amino's ready to be used are carried into the blood stream.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 11:57:22 AM »

most people can EASILY cover their proteinneed without ANY protein powders or such.

if your on drugs..its another ballgame...because your proteinsynthesis is upgraded (you could also argue that you could get away with less protein as the body is more efficient using protein as you use drugs..). if your on drugs then it can be useful to eat more protein. but never 600-700g a day as some idiots do.

for a natual the old recommendation of 2 g protein/kg bw/day is plenty!

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 11:58:36 AM »
lets say someone use steroids

their role is to increase protein synthesis. So someone on steroids can eat more than the 8 grams Palumbo mentions and it would still be absorbed ?

discuss
yo stavios..i think steroids enhance digestion as well. so you could probably be absorbign much more than 8 grams per hour.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 11:59:19 AM »

yup, not focusing on adding more weight to the bar.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 12:00:45 PM »
yup, not focusing on adding more weight to the bar.
so u are a believer in dante's theory that with strength comes size..and focus on strength?

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 12:01:47 PM »
palumbo is very smart. i look up to him in many areas...mostly knowledge of anabolics.  ;D    BUT, he is of point on the workout nutrition.

the thing is...bcaa's can be instantized. leuicine can be intsantized. whey is pre digested.  all of these will hit the blood stream immideitly. like he said....WHOLE FOODS take long time to digest.   shakes are not whole food!

AND there is a huge great deal of science supporting having concentrated amounts of aminos, specifically bcaa's and leucine, during and immidietly post workout.    

hmmm...so you know nothing about the human digestion system then.

here, i'll help you, whey protein still has to be processed via the digestive system. it does not provide 'instant' amino acids but hey, congratulations on being another conned loser to the supplement industry. just remember, milos loves you. you'll never have 'empty blood' or 'wasted workouts' again. :D    

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 12:03:27 PM »
so u are a believer in dante's theory that with strength comes size..and focus on strength?

its not dantes theory. its reality.

edit: a bodybuilder should focus on building strength in the 5-8 rep range, + some sets of 8-12/15 added in.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 12:04:11 PM »
hmmm...so you know nothing about the human digestion system then.

here, i'll help you, whey protein still has to be processed via the digestive system. it does not provide 'instant' amino acids but hey, congratulations on being another conned loser to the supplement industry. juwst remember, milos loves you. you'll never have 'empty blood' or 'wasted workouts' again. :D    

okay. so what does that mean? sure...everything has to get absorbed somewhere. but the point is..its PRE DIGESTED..so the digestion process does not have to take place. thus, the wqhole"8 grams every hour" rate lmiting concept is thrown out the window.