Author Topic: What do people here think about cultures that eat dog meat?  (Read 22673 times)

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: What do people here think about cultures that eat dog meat?
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2008, 09:48:10 PM »
Well, the gentleman who ate the dog meat was accused of doing something irresponsible and I am saying if you live in the United States you shoulder actively try to change policies (at the very least) or leave the country because of the immoral actions of the government. Flower does not strike me as a very politically engaged person so I would say she and the dog meat guy are even.

What really struck me was the comment on Asian countries...

As if they were all the same. That comment smacked of ignorance and chauvinism.

you brought that degree of separation on by bringing politics into it.......

anti american rhetoric is pretty played out these days !

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2008, 09:49:37 PM »
you brought that degree of separation on by bringing politics into it.......

anti american rhetoric is pretty played out these days !

Not anti-American at all; there is a powerful analogy at work here.
I hate the State.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2008, 09:54:20 PM »
Not anti-American at all

you're backtracking now

I chose to leave the USA many years ago in large part because I found the government's imperialistic activities, among other things disgusting.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2008, 10:08:25 PM »
you're backtracking now

That doesn't mean I am anti-American. Some of my closest friends are Americans, albeit also expats... :-\

Anyway...do you believe you have taxation with representation in the USA?
I hate the State.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2008, 10:21:38 PM »
dont hate me but i have tried dog meat, snake and almost all the great variety of animals available at some nice restaurants in china and i must say dog meat is great!

Whats the difference of eating dog, horse, cow, etc meat? I dont see any cruelty

Yeah, I've never eaten dog and I cannot bring my self to do so, but I've eaten just about everything else including cow, pig, wild boar, elk, deer, moose, bear, deer, alpaca, bison, water buffalo, ostrich, emu, llama, raccoon, opossum, crow, chicken, alligator, snake, turtle, fish of various species, snails, grubs, bugs, worms, slugs, and just about anything else that moves or crawls.  Why?  At one point in my life I went through this hardcore survivalist phase.  I'd take a trashbag, a pocket knife, some matches, and a rifle out into the woods for the weekend.  What I shot, I ate.  If I didn't shoot it I didn't eat.   Also, working with exotic species like I do, I know quite a few people who raise these animals for meat purposes.   Gifts of steaks or "try this doc" aren't uncommon.   

The thing is I was raised one shot, one kill.  The key to me is humaine killing of the animal and utilization of all parts of the animal that can be used.  You have to respect the animals body in its death.  I don't agree to shooting an animal just to kill it for "sport".  I also dont' like the stories of beatings, hangings, and essentially torture prior to death associated with eating dog in SE Asian countries.  The animals deserve a quick, humane death. 

Would I eat a dog if I was starving?   I don't know.  I've never been in that situation.   Right now my dogs are asleep at my feet.  These dogs will also help me survive by providing protection and assisting in the hunt (ideally)in the event of my needing them.   They will stay that way in my world.   

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »
Right now my dogs are asleep at my feet.  These dogs will also help me survive by providing protection and assisting in the hunt (ideally)in the event of my needing them.   

What kind of dogs do you have? My mother has a pair of salukis.  They're supposedly hunting dogs.  I guess the instincts are buried somewhere in them, but right now I don't see them hunting anything that isn't immobile in their bowls.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2008, 10:36:36 PM »
What kind of dogs do you have? My mother has a pair of salukis.  They're supposedly hunting dogs.  I guess the instincts are buried somewhere in them, but right now I don't see them hunting anything that isn't immobile in their bowls.

In the past, I've had several breeds of "hunting dog" including beagles, laborador, black and tans, redbones, walkers and Harriers.   Right now I've got two pitbulls and a Dogo.   I guess the Dogo is the only official "hunting" dog I have now, if you could call him that.   Tonight, hes a giant fart machine.   ;)

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2008, 10:44:32 PM »
In the past, I've had several breeds of "hunting dog" including beagles, laborador, black and tans, redbones, walkers and Harriers.   Right now I've got two pitbulls and a Dogo.   I guess the Dogo is the only official "hunting" dog I have now, if you could call him that.   Tonight, hes a giant fart machine.   ;)

Lol at fart machine, well, maybe your dog will hunt. My mother's dogs have always been quite uninterested in toys. Sometimes I see them eyeing squirrels in her yard, but they usually just fall back asleep on the couch.  Very odd behavior for a dog, IMO. My mother has a walker so they get exercise, but they spend most of their time hanging out in her vicinity trying to catch forty winks. My mom tells me something about the breed having been purebred for thousands of years. Maybe they bred the hunting instinct out of them. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2008, 04:21:48 AM »
Well, the gentleman who ate the dog meat was accused of doing something irresponsible

irresponsible by knowingly, right there in his face, condoning the beating and suffering of an animal when he admitted he could of asked the gentleman to make it as quick as possible. 

can you grasp that?   If I was in the position to stop a child from being killed (since that was the analogy used) and I didn't then I would be wrong if I just let it happen, and not only let it happen but encouraged it happening, since that was the case with benz. 

I don't think stop paying taxes and getting thrown in jail is going to stop the war, but it is wonderful that that was brought in here as the only defense you could try and stretch.

::)

w8m8

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2008, 05:01:02 AM »
Well, the gentleman who ate the dog meat was accused of doing something irresponsible and I am saying if you live in the United States you shoulder actively try to change policies (at the very least) or leave the country because of the immoral actions of the government. Flower does not strike me as a very politically engaged person so I would say she and the dog meat guy are even.

What really struck me was the comment on Asian countries...

As if they were all the same. That comment smacked of ignorance and chauvinism.

You equate the two and it's ridiculous

It's laughable that you suggest ~flower~ or anyone to leave this country due to an immoral government , but yet you accept barbaric behavior because it's attached to an animal

smacked of ignorance and chauvinism ?

I Think Not

The word does not require a judgment that the chauvinist is right or wrong in his opinion, only that he is blind and unreasoning in coming to it, ignoring any facts which might temper his fervor. In modern use, however, it is often used pejoratively to imply that the chauvinist is both unreasoning and wrong.

The way you (dis)believe and the subject matter you equate to each other leads "me" to think I'm glad you're not teaching any kid I know.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2008, 05:53:05 AM »
You equate the two and it's ridiculous

It's laughable that you suggest ~flower~ or anyone to leave this country due to an immoral government , but yet you accept barbaric behavior because it's attached to an animal

smacked of ignorance and chauvinism ?

I Think Not

The word does not require a judgment that the chauvinist is right or wrong in his opinion, only that he is blind and unreasoning in coming to it, ignoring any facts which might temper his fervor. In modern use, however, it is often used pejoratively to imply that the chauvinist is both unreasoning and wrong.

The way you (dis)believe and the subject matter you equate to each other leads "me" to think I'm glad you're not teaching any kid I know.

Teaching kids is only a temporary gig and when the contract's up, never again. It's been interesting to see how the young of our species act and behave but I've had enough.

You are really avoiding the point where she put all Asian countries in the same pot and said it would be good if they just disappeared. Some of the most ancient dog breeds come from Asia. Wouldn't that be a shame?

And why is it laughable to suggest that someone leave a country which terrorises the world to protest its practices? Because that person has a comfortable life there? I didn't say I accepted barbaric behaviour towards animals. I don't. I am just saying that people have their schticks and Flower's sole concern is for animal life, specifically dogs and she just shrugs her shoulders when it comes to the imperialism of the USA; shrugging your shoulders is tantamount to apathy, which itself is tantamount to tacit support.
I hate the State.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2008, 06:27:13 AM »

lollz    ;D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I hate the State.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2008, 07:37:14 AM »
Decide...are you still in high school?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2008, 07:57:40 AM »
Decide...are you still in high school?

No, I am not.

Are you Mr. I am proud of my government no matter what it does or how many people it kills?
I hate the State.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »
No, I am not.

Are you Mr. I am proud of my government no matter what it does or how many people it kills?

you forgot to add "as long as they don't kill dogs in that sentence"

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2008, 08:10:52 AM »

you forgot to add "as long as they don't kill dogs in that sentence"

I have to head off to bed but I will leave you with the following thought.

Your place of birth and hence your nationality is a geographical accident. You have no control over it and you did nothing to achieve it. The type of patriotism and nationalism you advocate is based on nothing but blind loyalty, born of circumstances that you had nothing to do with. Express pride in your own feats and accomplishments, not in those of the deeds of past men who also by dint of geographical accident were born in the USA.

A serious question: why do you believe dog lives are more valuable than human lives?
I hate the State.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2008, 08:13:17 AM »

dint       I dint do it! lollz     dint 

I have feats - a left and a right one!   loloz

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2008, 08:48:24 AM »
I have to head off to bed but I will leave you with the following thought.

Your place of birth and hence your nationality is a geographical accident. You have no control over it and you did nothing to achieve it. The type of patriotism and nationalism you advocate is based on nothing but blind loyalty, born of circumstances that you had nothing to do with. Express pride in your own feats and accomplishments, not in those of the deeds of past men who also by dint of geographical accident were born in the USA.

A serious question: why do you believe dog lives are more valuable than human lives?

dude...the more you write....the dumber you sound.

You have me so 'figured' out.    ::)

I've been all over the world.  Yes...born in the USA...but I live over 3,000 miles from where my family resides.  I chose where I wanted to live...not by circumstances...not by accident...but by choice. 

Now once again....I applaud the fact you left the United States but do us one favor.....

take all of your friends & family too.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2008, 07:08:55 PM »
dude...the more you write....the dumber you sound.

You have me so 'figured' out.    ::)

I've been all over the world.  Yes...born in the USA...but I live over 3,000 miles from where my family resides.  I chose where I wanted to live...not by circumstances...not by accident...but by choice. 

Now once again....I applaud the fact you left the United States but do us one favor.....

take all of your friends & family too.

You are the one who sounds dumber. I rightly explained to you that you had no control over the circumstances of your birth. You could have easily been born in Chad or France or Russia or China. Would you be as patriotic then? I wasn't talking about the choices you made as an adult but the geographical accident of your birth.

My remaining family lives in NYC, which although technically the USA, bears little relationship to the rest of it. Don't worry, my parents are old and will likely die shortly. I will make it a point to inform you when it happens.

Would you save your dogs' lives over your mother's life? Or your own child's?
I hate the State.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2008, 08:48:30 PM »

My remaining family lives in NYC, which although technically the USA, bears little relationship to the rest of it. Don't worry, my parents are old and will likely die shortly. I will make it a point to inform you when it happens.

I'll agree with you on that.  NYC is Americas dirty asshole with a big dingleberry in my opinion.   LA follows a close second behind that. 

Then again I'm a farm kid who hates living close enough to another human that they might be able to see smoke from my chimney on a clear day with binoculars, so take my opinion as you wish. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2008, 09:15:04 PM »

I'll agree with you on that.  NYC is Americas dirty asshole with a big dingleberry in my opinion.   LA follows a close second behind that. 

Then again I'm a farm kid who hates living close enough to another human that they might be able to see smoke from my chimney on a clear day with binoculars, so take my opinion as you wish. 

Or it's lifeblood depending on how you look at it...
I hate the State.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2008, 09:15:11 PM »

Would you save your dogs' lives over your mother's life? Or your own child's?

for a school teacher you sure ask a lot of stupid questions

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2008, 09:25:14 PM »
for a school teacher you sure ask a lot of stupid questions

I am not a school teacher, never said that.

And you missed the part where your friend said he would save a dog's life over a human's.
I hate the State.