Author Topic: What do people here think about cultures that eat dog meat?  (Read 22439 times)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: What do people here think about cultures that eat dog meat?
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2008, 09:46:41 PM »
Or it's lifeblood depending on how you look at it...

Not the way I see things.  I lived in NYC---manhattan, for 2 years.  I have friends in the New York Metropolitan area I'll consider friends for ever, however to me NYC was my definition of hell on earth.  I was miserable living there.  Absolutely miserable. 

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2008, 10:05:10 PM »
I am not a school teacher, never said that.

And you missed the part where your friend said he would save a dog's life over a human's.
It would depend on the human, would I shoot my dog because he was biting the fuck out of an intruder? No. But, I would have to euthanize the intruder to put him out of his misery right? That would be the humane thing to do.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2008, 10:14:31 PM »
Not the way I see things.  I lived in NYC---manhattan, for 2 years.  I have friends in the New York Metropolitan area I'll consider friends for ever, however to me NYC was my definition of hell on earth.  I was miserable living there.  Absolutely miserable. 

NYC is always hate it or love it. ;D
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2008, 10:15:38 PM »
It would depend on the human, would I shoot my dog because he was biting the fuck out of an intruder? No. But, I would have to euthanize the intruder to put him out of his misery right? That would be the humane thing to do.

Random dog attacks random 4 year old. What do you?
I hate the State.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2008, 10:41:11 PM »
Forgive me if this has been said already, I'm not going to bother reading this whole thread, but meat is meat.  Unless you're a vegan, you're a fucking hypocrite if you would condemn eaters of dog meat while you sit there happily munching on cow or pig meat.

While I have no particular desire to seek out dog meat as it's not typically served in western cultures, if I were in Vietman and it were served to me, as a carnivore I'd have no particular moral issues with eating it.
Ron: "I am lazy."

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2008, 05:34:51 AM »
Forgive me if this has been said already, I'm not going to bother reading this whole thread, but meat is meat.  Unless you're a vegan, you're a fucking hypocrite if you would condemn eaters of dog meat while you sit there happily munching on cow or pig meat.

While I have no particular desire to seek out dog meat as it's not typically served in western cultures, if I were in Vietman and it were served to me, as a carnivore I'd have no particular moral issues with eating it.

read teh thread or don't comment!!   >:(

The issue was not the eating of dog meat, but the eating of an animal that you KNOW is going to be be beaten 1/2 to death, then skinned and cooked still alive most likely.   If the dog was going to be slaughtered humanely and not deliberately tortured then I still personally would not like people eating dogs, but I could not call anyone wrong for choosing to. 

And benz considered asking the guy to kill the dog he picked out to eat quickly and more humanely, but didn't, which makes him a sick fucking asshole.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2008, 05:39:38 AM »

read teh thread or don't comment!!   >:(

The issue was not the eating of dog meat, but the eating of an animal that you KNOW is going to be be beaten 1/2 to death, then skinned and cooked still alive most likely.   If the dog was going to be slaughtered humanely and not deliberately tortured then I still personally would not like people eating dogs, but I could not call anyone wrong for choosing to. 

And benz considered asking the guy to kill the dog he picked out to eat quickly and more humanely, but didn't, which makes him a sick fucking asshole.

Benz ate a dog?

w8m8

« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2008, 07:02:52 AM »
i still remember the face of the little puppy i ate (he was like please man dont pick me).

a puppy more specifically according to this post  :-[

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2008, 07:17:06 AM »
Oh, he was in China.  Have to admit that when I am in China, I try to eat only at western hotels.  You never know what the hell you're eating otherwise. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2008, 07:58:46 AM »
You are the one who sounds dumber. I rightly explained to you that you had no control over the circumstances of your birth. You could have easily been born in Chad or France or Russia or China. Would you be as patriotic then? I wasn't talking about the choices you made as an adult but the geographical accident of your birth.

My remaining family lives in NYC, which although technically the USA, bears little relationship to the rest of it. Don't worry, my parents are old and will likely die shortly. I will make it a point to inform you when it happens.

Would you save your dogs' lives over your mother's life? Or your own child's?

Yes...I would save my dogs life over my mother or children's life

....because...

I don't have either dipshit   ::)

Damn you dumb

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2008, 12:33:58 PM »

::)

we both know that's a crock of shit you're spewing because you're standing on some kind of principle that can only be found on the internet...

the truth of the matter is you would'nt eat dog meat if ya knew it was dog meat so cut the bullshit !

SaleenS7525T

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2008, 04:08:46 PM »
I have no problem with others eating dog meat, I wouldn't, but that's me. However, torturing the dog to death is a problem especially when it is possible, and even easier, to kill it humanely. In my opinion, the only reasons to ever kill something are defense and food. In either case, especially if it is for food, I believe it is your duty to kill it as humanely as possible and make the most of it if possible, as Vet said earlier. It is losing its life for you, you should be thankful, in the case that it is for food.
There's been a lot of talk about valuing human life over dog, dog over human, monkey over dog, or whatever combination. I'm not sure how one can argue that the life of any animal, including humans, is inherently more important than the life for another barring religion of course, I don't recognize that as a legitimate reason. The only reasons most people think that human life is because they are human and they are bias and/or they have been told all their lives this is the case. One's own bias, interests, and influences determine what lives he values more or less. In my case, I see my pets as about the equivalent as my children; so yes, I would allow most people to die if given a choice between my dog and some random person because it is in my interest to keep my dog alive and not some random person, just like most people would rather that random person die than their child.
Also, there are a lot of implications of hypocrisy, especially in the whole eating tortured dog vs. supporting evil US gov't analogy. Everyone is a hypocrite at some level; there is not a single exception. People should strive to not be hypocrites, but bias and beliefs and other influences will never go completely dead. The analogy is ok, but those two things aren't completely comparable. A large differentiating factor is the cost of not supporting the "bad behavior." Benz would incur 0 cost when he asked that the puppy be killed humanely rather than tortured. However, Flower would incur potentially heavy costs in changing her country of residence. She would have to cover long distance moving costs, possible take the time to learn a new language, possibly go through a citizenship process in her new country in which case the US would want her to relinquish her US citizenship, which is another cost, among other costs. That is an economic issue, does her belief that the US gov't is bad overpower the cost of relocating? If yes, she should relocate. If no, she should not relocate. I'm not saying anything about Flower's opinions, just using an example. They are also not quite the same because one is direct and the other is not direct, like Flower said.
Sorry for the long post.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2008, 04:31:31 PM »
::)

we both know that's a crock of shit you're spewing because you're standing on some kind of principle that can only be found on the internet...

the truth of the matter is you would'nt eat dog meat if ya knew it was dog meat so cut the bullshit !

Why not?

I've had alligator, bison, ostrich, quail, rattlesnake, shark, rabbit, escargot, and venison.  Why do you think I'd have a problem with dog?

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2008, 04:33:46 PM »

Why not?

I've had alligator, bison, ostrich, quail, rattlesnake, shark, rabbit, escargot, and venison.  Why do you think I'd have a problem with dog?

Goatboy being a badass. ;D Or a dumbass?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2008, 04:46:18 PM »
Goatboy being a badass. ;D Or a dumbass?

Wow...  here I though to be a "badass" you had to act tough all the time or something.  Turns out all you have to do is try new foods every now and again.  Who knew?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2008, 05:30:12 PM »
I have no problem with others eating dog meat, I wouldn't, but that's me. However, torturing the dog to death is a problem especially when it is possible, and even easier, to kill it humanely. In my opinion, the only reasons to ever kill something are defense and food. In either case, especially if it is for food, I believe it is your duty to kill it as humanely as possible and make the most of it if possible, as Vet said earlier. It is losing its life for you, you should be thankful, in the case that it is for food.
There's been a lot of talk about valuing human life over dog, dog over human, monkey over dog, or whatever combination. I'm not sure how one can argue that the life of any animal, including humans, is inherently more important than the life for another barring religion of course, I don't recognize that as a legitimate reason. The only reasons most people think that human life is because they are human and they are bias and/or they have been told all their lives this is the case. One's own bias, interests, and influences determine what lives he values more or less. In my case, I see my pets as about the equivalent as my children; so yes, I would allow most people to die if given a choice between my dog and some random person because it is in my interest to keep my dog alive and not some random person, just like most people would rather that random person die than their child.
Also, there are a lot of implications of hypocrisy, especially in the whole eating tortured dog vs. supporting evil US gov't analogy. Everyone is a hypocrite at some level; there is not a single exception. People should strive to not be hypocrites, but bias and beliefs and other influences will never go completely dead. The analogy is ok, but those two things aren't completely comparable. A large differentiating factor is the cost of not supporting the "bad behavior." Benz would incur 0 cost when he asked that the puppy be killed humanely rather than tortured. However, Flower would incur potentially heavy costs in changing her country of residence. She would have to cover long distance moving costs, possible take the time to learn a new language, possibly go through a citizenship process in her new country in which case the US would want her to relinquish her US citizenship, which is another cost, among other costs. That is an economic issue, does her belief that the US gov't is bad overpower the cost of relocating? If yes, she should relocate. If no, she should not relocate. I'm not saying anything about Flower's opinions, just using an example. They are also not quite the same because one is direct and the other is not direct, like Flower said.
Sorry for the long post.

Greater neurocomplexity, greater cognition and greater intelligence are the general reasons why we value great apes (such as ourselves) over say dogs and cats and dogs and cats over mice and gerbils.

You don't lose your US citizenship. I don't know who fed you that; you've been living in Germany by chance? I have dual citizenship.

In any event my point, which you seem to agree on is that we are all hypocrites at base.
I hate the State.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2008, 07:27:01 PM »

Why not?

Idon't believe you'd eat dog (I'm actually giving you credit by saying this) just like I don't believe 95% of the people that try to use the logic you used would eat dog either....

it's a great way to stir the pot emotionally, especially when you say it on a board full of dog lovers but that's as far as I think it goes,you try to argue because ya feel the need to go against the grain...

and eating any of the above mentioned really is'nt that extavagant,hell I'm a picky eater and I've tried all of those.......

let me know when you can honestly say you've eaten a rat and then and only then will I believe you'd be willing to eat dog meat  ;)

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2008, 10:37:24 PM »
  Idon't believe you'd eat dog (I'm actually giving you credit by saying this) just like I don't believe 95% of the people that try to use the logic you used would eat dog either....

it's a great way to stir the pot emotionally, especially when you say it on a board full of dog lovers but that's as far as I think it goes,you try to argue because ya feel the need to go against the grain...

and eating any of the above mentioned really is'nt that extavagant,hell I'm a picky eater and I've tried all of those.......

let me know when you can honestly say you've eaten a rat and then and only then will I believe you'd be willing to eat dog meat  ;)

Geo... I'm not sentimental like 90% of brain-dead Americans.  Logic guides my decisions, not social mores.  Would I eat rat meat?  Like dog, I wouldn't exactly seek it out, but if I were in a place where it was a common dish, it was put in front of me, and it was properly prepared and cooked, I wouldn't have an issue with it.  Meat is meat, period...  protein and fat from the tissue of formerly living animals.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2008, 10:43:26 PM »
Geo... I'm not sentimental like 90% of brain-dead Americans.  Logic guides my decisions, not social mores.  Would I eat rat meat?  Like dog, I wouldn't exactly seek it out, but if I were in a place where it was a common dish, it was put in front of me, and it was properly prepared and cooked, I wouldn't have an issue with it.  Meat is meat, period...  protein and fat from the tissue of formerly living animals.

you're full of shit....

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2008, 10:47:46 PM »

Goatboy, you're a bad mamma-jamma.  After reading this post, I no longer think of you as effete/finicky/persnickety/dainty or all the other things flower has called you. Instead, I see you as a modern day Cool Hand luke.

Dude, who're you kidding? You'd eat your boat shoes before you even looked at a rat curry.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2008, 11:06:15 PM »
you're full of shit....

You're entitled to your opinion.

But you might want to consider losing some weight anyway, fatass!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2008, 08:39:05 AM »
I can see Goatboy wearing alligator clothing..but not eating it

SaleenS7525T

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2008, 12:48:10 AM »
Greater neurocomplexity, greater cognition and greater intelligence are the general reasons why we value great apes (such as ourselves) over say dogs and cats and dogs and cats over mice and gerbils.

You don't lose your US citizenship. I don't know who fed you that; you've been living in Germany by chance? I have dual citizenship.

In any event my point, which you seem to agree on is that we are all hypocrites at base.

That is a large part of why people do value human and ape lives more, but does not make their lives inherently more important. I never said you lose your US citizenship; I know it is possible to have dual citizenship; sorry for the confusion. I live in the US.