Author Topic: How many of you started lifting thinking you could get big and ripped but then  (Read 18367 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
realised you had shitty genetics and you never will be big and ripped?

It happened to me... :-\
I hate the State.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
I have good genetics but the dedication is too much for my weak mind to endure.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I have good genetics but the dedication is too much for my weak mind to endure.

We can trade..I have the dedication...just not the Gs...gimme your frickin' Gs man! >:( ;D
I hate the State.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
realised you had shitty genetics and you never will be big and ripped?

It happened to me... :-\

To what are you comparing yourself?
I have felt the same as you do at various times – I certainly don’t look like an NPC pro.
But compared to where I was when I started at 129 lbs. soaking wet, I’ve made leaps and bounds.

So maybe you’re not “HUGE & RIPPED” like a top 5 “O” competitor. Surely you’ve made some improvements over time.

There’s more than one way to look at most things.
And it’s pointless beating yourself up because you’re not in an elite/rare class of people who have phenomenal genetics, access to the best drugs, and a superior response to those drugs.

JasonH

• Getbig V
I have fairly decent genetics and certainly the drive but not the money when I was younger to afford to purchase shit loads of gear to push me on further. For a natural I'd like to think I've got a pretty good physique. I've been training since I was fifteen and if I'd started taking gear at say 18 or 19 then I reckon I could have done well onstage. Obviously I don't think I'd have become a pro or anything like that but I reckon enough to win a few high level amateur contests. When I finally did start using, my gains were great but again the money held me back. Not to mention the side effects as well.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I have fairly decent genetics and certainly the drive but not the money when I was younger to afford to purchase shit loads of gear to push me on further. For a natural I'd like to think I've got a pretty good physique. I've been training since I was fifteen and if I'd started taking gear at say 18 or 19 then I reckon I could have done well onstage. Obviously I don't think I'd have become a pro or anything like that but I reckon enough to win a few high level amateur contests. When I finally did start using, my gains were great but again the money held me back. Not to mention the side effects as well.

I started late at 25. :-\
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
To what are you comparing yourself?
I have felt the same as you do at various times – I certainly don’t look like an NPC pro.
But compared to where I was when I started at 129 lbs. soaking wet, I’ve made leaps and bounds.

So maybe you’re not “HUGE & RIPPED” like a top 5 “O” competitor. Surely you’ve made some improvements over time.

There’s more than one way to look at most things.
And it’s pointless beating yourself up because you’re not in an elite/rare class of people who have phenomenal genetics, access to the best drugs, and a superior response to those drugs.

Compared to where I was when I started...sure...but now at 30 my only real goal to get lean and stay that way...can't put on any more muscle..not really anyway, too old, genetics too bad...
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Compared to where I was when I started...sure...but now at 30 my only real goal to get lean and stay that way...can't put on any more muscle..not really anyway, too old, genetics too bad...
Since you have not achieved your goals on your own maybe you should have someone here like Luv2hurt or some other helpful competitor write you up a diet/eating plan and give you a workout to follow.

I worked out for years but never got in as good shape as I did when I had someone who knew what they were doing give me a diet and workouts.

What you are doing is not getting you what you want.  You say you know how your body responds but it's still not where you want it to be after 5 years. 

You may not ever be as big as you'd like but there are people that can help you get leaner through a proper diet and exercise.  You may just want to give someone else's plan a try for say 10 weeks and see if you make improvements toward your goals. 

R

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Since you have not achieved your goals on your own maybe you should have someone here like Luv2hurt or some other helpful competitor write you up a diet/eating plan and give you a workout to follow.

I worked out for years but never got in as good shape as I did when I had someone who knew what they were doing give me a diet and workouts.

What you are doing is not getting you what you want.  You say you know how your body responds but it's still not where you want it to be after 5 years. 

You may not ever be as big as you'd like but there are people that can help you get leaner through a proper diet and exercise.  You may just want to give someone else's plan a try for say 10 weeks and see if you make improvements toward your goals. 

Well...my goal now is to shed body fat and I am doing that...although today was a carb loading day... ;D

I have tried other diet forms and the high carb stuff you and others use does NOT get me results...genetics...ya know...
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Well...my goal now is to shed body fat and I am doing that...although today was a carb loading day... ;D

I have tried other diet forms and the high carb stuff you and others use does NOT get me results...genetics...ya know...

Most people wouldn't call it high carb ;D

R

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Most people wouldn't call it high carb ;D

For me...anything over 20 or so grams is high carb....

I should clarify though...when I started I was a fat piece of shit balloon. Now my body composition is entirely different. I have (for my genetics and considering where I came from) a half way decent upper body and pretty good legs....so I was able to pack on some mass in 5 years, enough so that, when I have dieted off the fat, I think I will look decent enough to present myself at a swimming pool or other public place without shame. So now it is up to me to stick to it long enough...just a matter of will power and endurance, 4 more months or so...I suppose...

For those who think you NEED carbs...read this...

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2#IDAZAUFE
I hate the State.

Moosejay

Check out Pumping Iron where Arnold is doing cables for pecs and the skinny blond guy, in back of him, is gazing at him...you can tell he is thinking, "Shit, man, I may as well quit right now :)

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
my genetics suck! i was born into a family of shortness and baldness!  :'( anyway, i started lifting just to feel better about myself and to look better. i'm not all that displeased with myself now. i get compliments from people i haven't seen in a long time who remember me when i was "small & puny". (i'm 5'6, 190lbs now. i used to be about 145-150lbs when i first stared really working out.) i love it when people notice it and say, "have you been hittin' the weights? you look good. you really bulked up!"  ;D

War-Horse

• Getbig V
For me...anything over 20 or so grams is high carb....

I should clarify though...when I started I was a fat piece of shit balloon. Now my body composition is entirely different. I have (for my genetics and considering where I came from) a half way decent upper body and pretty good legs....so I was able to pack on some mass in 5 years, enough so that, when I have dieted off the fat, I think I will look decent enough to present myself at a swimming pool or other public place without shame. So now it is up to me to stick to it long enough...just a matter of will power and endurance, 4 more months or so...I suppose...

For those who think you NEED carbs...read this...

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2#IDAZAUFE

I appreciate the link De......I have good genetics and am bigger than alot of drug users but lost dieting interest 10 yrs ago.     I may give this keto fat diet a try as carbs make me fat and make me crave more carbs... 8)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

I appreciate the link De......I have good genetics and am bigger than alot of drug users but lost dieting interest 10 yrs ago.     I may give this keto fat diet a try as carbs make me fat and make me crave more carbs... 8)

The ketogenic diet is really something totally natural as indicated by the link. Many cultures live their entire lives in ketosis.

What seems to work for me is the following and offer the following advice.

First three weeks, eat 0 carbs. That means getting a ZERO carb whey isolate (easy enough where you are in the USA) and just eating meat and fish. Don't be a afraid of fat! To enter ketosis you must consume a fair amount of fat as shown in the studies as well. Get fiber tabs as well.

After three weeks you can carb load if you want; my current scheme, which is working well is 6 days 0-20 grams of carbs and 1 day I carb load. You will lose some strength on lifting days due to depleted glycogen reserves but the difference isn't all that great. If you are really hardcore, you can forget about the carb loading days and go straight through with ketosis the whole time...make sure to eat a head of broccoli every now and then and get lots of fish and flax oil. When you are eating that lamb the next time with the fat rim, EAT the fat rim with it. Good luck. It just takes a lot will power.

I hate the State.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
Is this how the Cannibals stay thin?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Is this how the Cannibals stay thin?

No, Inuits and various tribes of Northern Canada however....
I hate the State.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
The ketogenic diet is really something totally natural as indicated by the link. Many cultures live their entire lives in ketosis.

What seems to work for me is the following and offer the following advice.

First three weeks, eat 0 carbs. That means getting a ZERO carb whey isolate (easy enough where you are in the USA) and just eating meat and fish. Don't be a afraid of fat! To enter ketosis you must consume a fair amount of fat as shown in the studies as well. Get fiber tabs as well.

After three weeks you can carb load if you want; my current scheme, which is working well is 6 days 0-20 grams of carbs and 1 day I carb load. You will lose some strength on lifting days due to depleted glycogen reserves but the difference isn't all that great. If you are really hardcore, you can forget about the carb loading days and go straight through with ketosis the whole time...make sure to eat a head of broccoli every now and then and get lots of fish and flax oil. When you are eating that lamb the next time with the fat rim, EAT the fat rim with it. Good luck. It just takes a lot will power.

The study stated that after the first week  or so you should get your strength and energy back.......Is this true for you?  (Maybe not if you carb load at times right?)    Also how much weight or fat have you lost and how much per week??

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Too old? You just turned 30 last month. That is anything but too old.

I reached my biggest and strongest at age 32, tipping the scales at 252 lbs. Now, my goal is to be just as strong, check that, STRONGER than I was then but leaner when I turn 35. Right now, I'm at 230.

There are no monsters in my family, as I come from an ectomorphic bunch. But believe me, when it comes to gaining size, you are anything but washed up at age 30.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
The first time I did a ketogenic diet I lost 35 pounds in 2 months.  Years later I tried again and lost maybe 10 lbs.  I went on low carb and massive cardio and lost 70 lbs.  Weak as hell when I started to lift again.  I have found to maintain strength and bodyweight to eat 1600 or so calories during the week and whatever I want 1 or 2 days a week.  Kinda like carb loading but really a calorie load.

DVSGOD

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Check out Pumping Iron where Arnold is doing cables for pecs and the skinny blond guy, in back of him, is gazing at him...you can tell he is thinking, "Shit, man, I may as well quit right now :)
Shit,I thought you were going to say that you were that blond guy  ;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
The first time I did a ketogenic diet I lost 35 pounds in 2 months.  Years later I tried again and lost maybe 10 lbs.  I went on low carb and massive cardio and lost 70 lbs.  Weak as hell when I started to lift again.  I have found to maintain strength and bodyweight to eat 1600 or so calories during the week and whatever I want 1 or 2 days a week.  Kinda like carb loading but really a calorie load.

That tends to be the case, from what I've experienced. The initial shock to your system shears the pounds right off. I dropped 12 lbs. the first 10 days I went on a low-carb diet.

One thing you can do to keep your strength up is to keep up the creatine intake. It worked well for me, however, initially I was using a creatine product with no carb (V-12). When I ran out of that, all I had left was two large jugs and one small jug of CELL-TECH that I'd bought a few months earlier. After being frustrated with the strength loss, from the low carbs and no creatine, I decide to start using CELL-TECH again.

However, I simply did a balancing act. I cut my carbs from my regular meals, to allow for those contained in one of my favorite supplements.

Give that a try (with either CELL-TECH or whatever your favorite creatine product is) and see if it helps keep that strength up for you.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
That tends to be the case, from what I've experienced. The initial shock to your system shears the pounds right off. I dropped 12 lbs. the first 10 days I went on a low-carb diet.

One thing you can do to keep your strength up is to keep up the creatine intake. It worked well for me, however, initially I was using a creatine product with no carb (V-12). When I ran out of that, all I had left was two large jugs and one small jug of CELL-TECH that I'd bought a few months earlier. After being frustrated with the strength loss, from the low carbs and no creatine, I decide to start using CELL-TECH again.

However, I simply did a balancing act. I cut my carbs from my regular meals, to allow for those contained in one of my favorite supplements.

Give that a try (with either CELL-TECH or whatever your favorite creatine product is) and see if it helps keep that strength up for you.

What got my strength up was doing a cycle of Test.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

The study stated that after the first week  or so you should get your strength and energy back.......Is this true for you?  (Maybe not if you carb load at times right?)    Also how much weight or fat have you lost and how much per week??

In general yes.

With the following caveat:

Both observational and prospectively designed studies support the conclusion that submaximal endurance performance can be sustained despite the virtual exclusion of carbohydrate from the human diet. Clearly this result does not automatically follow the casual implementation of dietary carbohydrate restriction, however, as careful attention to time for keto-adaptation, mineral nutriture, and constraint of the daily protein dose is required. Contradictory results in the scientific literature can be explained by the lack of attention to these lessons learned (and for the most part now forgotten) by the cultures that traditionally lived by hunting. Therapeutic use of ketogenic diets should not require constraint of most forms of physical labor or recreational activity, with the one caveat that anaerobic (ie, weight lifting or sprint) performance is limited by the low muscle glycogen levels induced by a ketogenic diet, and this would strongly discourage its use under most conditions of competitive athletics.

Because weight lifting is anaerobic and the glycogen reserves are not there to fuel your workouts, you will be a little weaker and also should NOT go all out. But these aren't very important points since you wish to lose fat; keep your strength in the generally same area, don't train to failure and stick to a short workout plan, incoporating large compound movements. That has been woking for me. I am doing HST in the following manner:

Dumbbell Shoulder Press x3
Latpulldown x3 (suppinated grip)
Dumbbell Benchpress x3
Alternating Deadlifts x3/Squats (ass to grass)x3
Crunches/ Leg Lifts/Calf Raises

I am finished, depending on the rep scheme (15, 10 or 5) in 45 to 30 minutes. Keep the workouts short, relatively intense because of the minimal muscle glycogen and you will be fine.

I am being careful and am dropping 1 kg of fat a week because any faster and it isn't really healthy or sustainable. I am in it for the long haul, another 4 or 5 months. Patience is a virtue. So I am shooting to drop 15 to 16 more kg.

The other thing is...fiber. Get fibertabs. At the start of the week you weigh x kg and at the end you weigh x but your waistline looks visibly slimmer; you don't shit very often so you keep a lot of weight in you. Also If you engage in carb loading, don't be surprised if you are 4kg heavier than the day before. Carbs store water.
I hate the State.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Too old? You just turned 30 last month. That is anything but too old.

Agreed; i told him this already. Age 30 with 5 years of training isn't a bad place to be, plenty of time to realize potential with the right training, nutrition and dedication. No excuses about the age my man, get to it. ;)