Author Topic: How many of you started lifting thinking you could get big and ripped but then  (Read 18329 times)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
some big lifts there moose.

i checked out ur pics and especially like this one. the hair, the mustache and the smile looks ALOT like samir banout. u do resemble zane in the upperbody, but those legs were just a tad off balance. i wish that sort of posing would be used more in photoshoots and onstage.

Moosejay

Non, no...do not shut up.,..those are very good advices :)

No excuses...but, after 9 surgeries on both shoulders and both wrists...dunno how much I am gonna try on heavy stuff (for me) in the future!

Mike

Moosejay

some big lifts there moose.

i checked out ur pics and especially like this one. the hair, the mustache and the smile looks ALOT like samir banout. u do resemble zane in the upperbody, but those legs were just a tad off balance. i wish that sort of posing would be used more in photoshoots and onstage.

Yes, GA, I agree. I love the more detailed posing of Zane et al.

That si probably one of my best shots. After 60 shows, I probably have about one thousand!

Interestingly, that was the year I had just completed my first year of chiropractic school.

After the first trimester, I was so freaked out at 30 credits per session...I stupidly quit training altogether! (This was after 4 years of college and a measly 18 credits per semester)...then, I realized I hadda get back to the gym no matter waht...and, strange...my legs lagged behind.

I will post some shots of when I competed at 22, and about 12 pounds heavier...and I think my legs may have actually overpowered the upper body!

Anyway, thanks for your gracious Samir and Zane comments...I am flattered,

Moosejay

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
i'm happy with the progress i've made but i expected more in the beginning

E
E

Moosejay

heck...i started training in 7th grade....didn't look like i even lifted in clothes for a few years...went into about 8 shows until i copped my first trophy at 18...did not win my class until 26...did not win overall until 31...so, i can say i loved training enough that the trophies were just extra icing on the cake :)...ps sorry about wrong case and lack of capitals/grammar...just had rotator cuff sx yesterday so only have left hand!

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it

great pics man. you are indeed a moose and definitely a samir 'stache!

Moosejay

Thanks, my friend. I will post more showing a different time where my legs actually outbalanced the upper body!

Moose

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
id love to see them. why don't you have competetor stars?

Moosejay

Good question...how do I get 'em?

I competed for 25+ years, training for 30....

Will post more later from competitions.,..I need to show my legs when they actually had some 'pop' to them... :)

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
i think you just PM Ron

Moosejay

id love to see them. why don't you have competetor stars?

Finally got 'em. Check out my threads for the pics of me and golden age guys on Gossip and Opinions board,

Mike 

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
Ive been looking at them. they are great!  :D

So tell me what are the big differences in todays training vs. training back then. I know there are a million different routines (both then and now) but can you make any generalizations? 

Moosejay

Sure.

Back in the late 70's and most of the 80's...we always did each bodypart at least twice per week...and sometimes three times per week.

I know it sounds nuts, but that's what we did.

Supersets and even giant sets were heavily in vogue, as well. We didn't have much in cardio equipment, so we'd attain conditioning with keep intesnisty very high.

If anything...not taking anything away from anyone today (as I still train too)...but we definitely trained in a more intense fashion back then.

We'd cycle on and off, not stay on drugs seemingly for years at a time.

We'd do the low carb deal.
 I mean, airosol, we'd hardly eat!!

I remember eating dry cans of tuna...lettuce with vinegar, and a baked potater EVERY THIRD DAY for carbs!!

Yes...ripped...but we'd lose untold amounts of size.

Well...the pioneers are the ones who set the tone for thge future, I guess!

Mike

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
LOL, i dont have that kind of dedication. I'd have been 400 lbs. of fat.

You've done things that'll I'll never do, so i know you dont need any compliments from me. But I find you to be a great asset to Getbig. Thanks for the stories and pics! 

Moosejay

Thanks airosol...can always take from advice from anyone...and thanks I like it here

atombombbis

• Getbig II
sorry to see your quitting and blaming it all on genetics

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
sorry to see your quitting and blaming it all on genetics

Not quitting; have to fight the fight...but one would be delusional after a few years of training to think one has good genetics when one doesn't...
I hate the State.