Author Topic: Multivitamin  (Read 3921 times)

pvn100

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Multivitamin
« on: March 17, 2008, 03:59:12 AM »
Cam anyone recommend a good multivitaimin for my wife? She's not a bodybuillder but lifts light weights and does a decent amount of cardio.

Thanks.

Pete

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: Multivitamin
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 04:44:58 AM »
I don't really have much preference on the multi-vitamins.  I'm lucky if I remember to take one every day.   ;D

I use the Beverly packs when I am contest prepping, but those things are ridiculous, it's like 10 pills.   ::)

I've heard several people say they like those One-A-Day Weightsmart vitamins...they have a bit of green tea extract in them as well for metabolism.  And you can get those just about anywhere.

I'll ask Beast to chime in on this thread too because I think that she prefers certain multi-v's.  :)

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 06:51:39 AM »
I like the Vitamin shop's brand.  They have one targeted at women, which is mainly marketing but the vits are of good quality and the right mix of stuff. Plus not too expensive.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 07:09:13 AM »
I like the Vitamin shop's brand.  They have one targeted at women, which is mainly marketing but the vits are of good quality and the right mix of stuff. Plus not too expensive.

That's a good suggestion.  Personally, I don't think it matters all too much, as in I don't think you have to pay a fortune for a multi-v.  If you're taking one every day, you're doing pretty damn good. 

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 07:16:28 AM »
Nature's Plus Ultra II
R

pvn100

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 07:46:08 AM »
Thanks Girls!

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 08:14:06 AM »
Taking the right multi vitamin is pretty important only because many vitamins are not natural and therefore do not absorb well...this is what leads some people to have stomach aches.  You definitely want to buy a natural vitamin (one made with vitamins from plants), the GNC mega-woman vitamin is natural and good.  The one I take is by Pride, www.pridenutrition.com and you can order them online-if you are interested I could give you a discount code, if not go get the GNC one or one by a natural health food/supplement store.

Most multis you will want to take one in the morning and one at night to give your body a chance to absorb the vitamins it needs...take with water as this helps with absorption.  One of the reasons I like a female specific multi is they are catered towards females...many will add cranberry extract, soy isoflavones, antioxidants like grape seed extract, extra calcium...etc...many things that I would want anyway and promote female health.

Jennifer

pvn100

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:27:38 AM »
Thanks!! I'll let the wife know!

Question, though- My multi's say take 2 at once. Are you suggesting spiltting that into 2 sesisons?

And real quick...for my own lifting purposes (I posted this on one of the other boards)...

How do you feel about pre-workout caffeine? I just realized my mix has 200 mg...kinda has me bummed...cause it works WAY to well.

Thoughts?

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 04:07:35 AM »
Thanks!! I'll let the wife know!

Question, though- My multi's say take 2 at once. Are you suggesting spiltting that into 2 sesisons?

And real quick...for my own lifting purposes (I posted this on one of the other boards)...

How do you feel about pre-workout caffeine? I just realized my mix has 200 mg...kinda has me bummed...cause it works WAY to well.

Thoughts?

I'm not a vitamin expert... but I see no problem with pre-workout caffeine and pretty much couldn't live without it myself, esp when I am dieting.  What do you mean that you are bummed b/c it works way too well? 

DougSmith

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 06:05:21 AM »
Hi Everyone

I have some questions regarding whether to take vitamins with a meal or not.

My understanding is that some vitamins are water soluble  (e.g.  C) and others lipid soluble (e.g.  D).

Does it make sense then to take a  multi V  pill right before a meal  so that you also have fats in your digestive system
to help absorb the lipid soluble vitamins?

Second since the pills take a while to dissolve  (put one in water to see how long)  would having it with or right after a meal help also by slowing the rate with which the vitamin pill passes through your digestive tract?

Thanx in advance for any insight you can provide.  I have heard mixed advice regarding this - with some saying it does not matter at all.

Best

Doug

pvn100

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 06:53:35 AM »
What I mean is that since I have been using Animal Pump, a pre workout creatine matrix which contains caffeine and theobromine theophyline, I have noticed better results in the gym, as well as feeling more energized all day long. In short, it's awesome. My problem is that I am concerned that 1) If I stop taking it after 30 days, I'll feel effects of withdrawl, and 2) I'm afraid that over time my body will adjust to it and the 200 mg I am taking now will not suffice, and I'll need to take more , which just can't be healthy. Does that make sense?

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 07:58:55 AM »
I wish I knew more about vitamins lol...I don't have very good answers to these questions.  But I bet someone around here does.  ;)

pv, I get ya...and yeah, I think you're right.  You'll probably have some withdrawals, although I can't imagine that they would be really tough to deal with.  And I have noticed that I build up a tolerance to caffeine for sure...200 mg hardly affects me anymore.   ;D
But with caffeine, it's not something that I worry about too much, in terms of health concerns anyway. 

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 09:37:47 AM »
OK, lots to cover...

Definitely split the vitamins up-1 in the morning and 1 in the evening.  This will allow your body to absorb all that it needs.  Take vitamins with a big glass of water, this will create a natural flush as well as help with absorption.  More then anything else taking them before a meal should help against any possible tummy aches, the water is more important though.

Caffeine in pre workouts is typical...unfortunately like you said you do start to build a tolerance so for this I suggest buying a pre-workout that doesn't contain caffeine and one that does.  You can alternate between the two (or you could make your own with a creatine and arginine...just skip the caffeine).  One days that you need an extra edge take the caffeinated one, on other days maybe take 1-2 more Arginine pills.  Also after 1-2 months take a 1-2 weeks off the creatine and just focus on your aminos.  Once you take some time off it may stink for a few days but then your body should re-regulate and you should have similar results again when you start the next cycle.
Jennifer

pvn100

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 01:01:01 PM »

As always, you guys are fantastic. I really appreciate your input.

My Animal Pump comes in a 30 day supply, 9 pills. The "energy" pill is a red pill, which is very easy to take out when I want. The Animal website states that is not neccesary to cycle their pre-workout matrix, however I'm not quite convinced thats the best way to go.

Whats rather amazing about this product is that I'm not experiencing any kind of crash. For example, today I took the pills at 8 :30 Am because I planned on lifting at 9. A change in plans forced me to wait until 2. However, I felt incredibly energized even at 2 and had a great work out.

I've always been natural, so I'm having a hard time excepting that I have to take something that I consider not so good for you to lift heavier weights and see results.

A friend of mine is taking hormones and things, and he has to take all of these other pills so he dosen't get messed up, like his liver, and an estrogen blocker...Man, I just don't think I'm ready for that.

Again, you guys are wonderful and I sure appreciate your feedback.

Pete

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 09:28:21 AM »
Animal Products

represented by MedFat!

8)

X