Author Topic: For Chic ( and others), what is the future for pro bodybuilding?  (Read 2220 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
I am pleased that I have seen a major expanion over the past few years on actual pro events and coverage of them. The Pro BB weekly show is a cool addition and gives the sport a much needed
"highlight show" like other sports have ( NFL, NBA, etc).
As a fan I was a vocal advocate for the new under 202 wt classes, that feature the smaller bit incredible pro physiques.I remember Bob Chic saying he had mixed feelings about this awhile back, but seems to think it is a good idea now??
So what is next for pro bodybuilding? How many contests can the pro sport make viable ?
Wat is going to happen to female pro bodybuilding? Does it have enough of a fan base to grow or even survive? Will pro bodybuilding make it back to ESPN or another network on TV?
While I still fear a hassle over the drug issue, it looks like the feds are not digging into bodybuilding too hard . As a fan, I get a bit concerned about the welfare of the pros I admire, but in the end, I just want to go to a great pro event and enjoy the show.
What do you think?
Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

mossel

• Getbig IV
  • I blame it on the D-bol!!!!
Re: For Chic ( and others), what is the future for pro bodybuilding?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 06:59:37 AM »

the future is Doring

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 07:01:39 AM »

the future is Doring
wtf? who the hell is that synthol loaded fool?

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 07:02:13 AM »
Is School on break???.....................why so many "Howie Threads" ?!?!??!?!?

mikediesel

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:07:11 AM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:08:04 AM »
I am pleased that I have seen a major expanion over the past few years on actual pro events and coverage of them. The Pro BB weekly show is a cool addition and gives the sport a much needed
"highlight show" like other sports have ( NFL, NBA, etc).
As a fan I was a vocal advocate for the new under 202 wt classes, that feature the smaller bit incredible pro physiques.I remember Bob Chic saying he had mixed feelings about this awhile back, but seems to think it is a good idea now??
So what is next for pro bodybuilding? How many contests can the pro sport make viable ?
Wat is going to happen to female pro bodybuilding? Does it have enough of a fan base to grow or even survive? Will pro bodybuilding make it back to ESPN or another network on TV?
While I still fear a hassle over the drug issue, it looks like the feds are not digging into bodybuilding too hard . As a fan, I get a bit concerned about the welfare of the pros I admire, but in the end, I just want to go to a great pro event and enjoy the show.
What do you think?
Howard

You're a very optimistic man, Howard. Do you happen to live in that imaginary place called "BodybuilDisney Land"?  

Fulgorre

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 07:08:28 AM »
Is School on break???.....................why so many "Howie Threads" ?!?!??!?!?

yeah it is actually! haha

I heard on Fox News it is Spring Break.  They were talking about it being spring break because the drugs lords took over Tijuana.  Go Howie! :D

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 07:11:13 AM »

The man has alot to say.
what he's saying ???

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 07:15:57 AM »
yeah it is actually! haha

I heard on Fox News it is Spring Break.  They were talking about it being spring break because the drugs lords took over Tijuana.  Go Howie! :D

i knew it!........................ .........heres a thought
Howie go to Cancun and "mingle" then start ...."Middle age man get's some" threads
or "Middle age man get's none"...............complete with pictures of course
until then no more Philosophical bodybuilding threads

THANKS!
(The Management)

mossel

• Getbig IV
  • I blame it on the D-bol!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 07:30:23 AM »
where the hell is LEE when you need him...

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 03:02:16 PM »
The only people who make money from Pro BB is the promoter if he or she runs a good show in the future they are going to give 10k for 1st place in grand prix shows and around 1k for 5th.Wait they already do that oh well I guess it is BB. ::)

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »
wtf? who the hell is that synthol loaded fool?

Please tell me thats a joke the amount you are on this board Howie. You dont know about Klaus? You subordinate fool  >:(

Moosejay

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 04:00:25 PM »
The only people who make money from Pro BB is the promoter if he or she runs a good show in the future they are going to give 10k for 1st place in grand prix shows and around 1k for 5th.Wait they already do that oh well I guess it is BB. ::)

Anyone with experience will tell you that MOST shows lose money, or make very little. This includes Grand Prix level and many others.

Nationals, Collegiates, a few others do. The rest, very little

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 04:41:24 PM »
i knew it!........................ .........heres a thought
Howie go to Cancun and "mingle" then start ...."Middle age man get's some" threads
or "Middle age man get's none"...............complete with pictures of course
until then no more Philosophical bodybuilding threads

THANKS!
(The Management)

No, we won't be on spring break until 2nd week in Apirl, the state testing ofr graduation was this week, thus we teacher have down time while exams are going on unless it is your turn to proctor.
I admit some of my threads may seem lame, but not this one. I figured where pro BB might be headed would be a fun topic. What was I thinking??? I need to get back "on topic" and start posting the latest pro bashing thread as that is more meaningful.LOL
Ok, Mike , I admit it, I am nerd, what can I say.Perhaps I am out of place at times on here , but I don't take myself too serious and have fun. Howard

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 05:45:27 PM »
the the over/under 202lb weight class will bring a nice addition to shows, but it will never be in the olympia, the one show where it would have the most effect. pro bbing will survive for years to come, through all the hurdles and obstacles thrown in its way. joe weider is a very rich man, as is/will be the man who takes over his spot, so there will always be pro shows.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 07:17:08 PM »
the the over/under 202lb weight class will bring a nice addition to shows, but it will never be in the olympia, the one show where it would have the most effect. pro bbing will survive for years to come, through all the hurdles and obstacles thrown in its way. joe weider is a very rich man, as is/will be the man who takes over his spot, so there will always be pro shows.
They are having an under 202 pro show at the olympia ( from Bob Chic) but he said he won't be an under 202 Mr O.
I guess it will be a separate event to feature some of the lighter wt pros, not in the Olympia?
The stage production at the recent arnold classic was awesome. I think that the light, sound and MC make a HUGE dfference in the quality of the fans experience at a pro event.
Some may be critcial of modern pro bodybuilding, but the overall show prodction is light yrs better now, than 20 year ago...trust me hehe.
Howard

saucetradomous

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 08:14:58 PM »
They are having an under 202 pro show at the olympia ( from Bob Chic) but he said he won't be an under 202 Mr O.
I guess it will be a separate event to feature some of the lighter wt pros, not in the Olympia?
The stage production at the recent arnold classic was awesome. I think that the light, sound and MC make a HUGE dfference in the quality of the fans experience at a pro event.
Some may be critcial of modern pro bodybuilding, but the overall show prodction is light yrs better now, than 20 year ago...trust me hehe.
Howard

Anybody know what the prize money will be like for the winner of the under202lbs class will be?  If it's a good sum I could see some guys coming down from the 230lbs range.  Maybe This will give Richard Jones some incentive to come back? 

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 08:25:48 PM »
Anybody know what the prize money will be like for the winner of the under202lbs class will be?  If it's a good sum I could see some guys coming down from the 230lbs range.  Maybe This will give Richard Jones some incentive to come back? 
yes, I think the under 202 div will keep some of the lighter wts guy active on the pro contest scene, no question.
That is great for us fans, more great pro physiques of a slightly different nature on a pro stage for the same ticket price. WE all win.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 08:28:12 PM »

Here's the tentative purse....it could go up by showtime

1st- $7500
2nd- $3000
3rd- $1500

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 08:29:55 PM »

1st- $7500
2nd- $3000
3rd- $1500
That is good enough to draw some interest. Is that $$  at the Pro BB weekly under 202 event?
Bob, what do you now think of the under 202 class for the pros?

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 08:39:35 PM »
7k for 1st now that is awesome and that $1500 for 3rd is just out of this world.For 7k most guys will diet down to get to that magical 202lb weight.After airfares diet food, supps and gear hotel costs hire car and a little spending money competitors probably only lose around 15k.Now that makes it worth it.Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.And as for promoters not making any money nobody runs a show for Fukin nuttin. ::)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 08:41:18 PM »
That is good enough to draw some interest. Is that $$  at the Pro BB weekly under 202 event?
Bob, what do you now think of the under 202 class for the pros?

I was one of the people who proposed it for the schedule, Howie..

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 08:43:45 PM »
I was one of the people who proposed it for the schedule, Howie..
Maybe I am wrong or didn't understand you, but awhile back I made the sugestion that wt or ht classes would be good for the pros and I belive you were pretty negative about it then? I am not trying to pick on you and thrilled you now support it, etc. What caused you to be positive about the lighter pro class?

saucetradomous

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 08:44:25 PM »

1st- $7500
2nd- $3000
3rd- $1500

Thats decent for guys like Henry but I don't think anyones gunna drop 20-30lbs for that kind of purse.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 08:49:57 PM »
Maybe I am wrong or didn't understand you, but awhile back I made the sugestion that wt or ht classes would be good for the pros and I belive you were pretty negative about it then? I am not trying to pick on you and thrilled you now support it, etc. What caused you to be positive about the lighter pro class?

I believe it was classes at the Olympia I wasn't on board with...still aint. Actually, It was Ed Pariso and myself who collaberated on getting the 210 class started. I've been saying for many years now that guys competing against each other while giving up 70-90 lbs. just isn't fair.