Author Topic: Giant sets  (Read 3006 times)

Slintowin4424

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Seminar May 10 in brea message me for details
Giant sets
« on: March 24, 2008, 12:47:02 PM »
If you have seen them how many of you have tried them? What do you think?

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
Re: Giant sets
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 01:57:27 PM »
If you have seen them how many of you have tried them? What do you think?
you will use alot less weight than normal and you will get really sore in the area worked.

Slintowin4424

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 02:24:01 PM »
LOL dont give me advice my friend I have trained with the master himself, I want to know why very few are brave enough to try it its good to hear you train this way though

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 02:27:17 PM »
LOL dont give me advice my friend I have trained with the master himself, I want to know why very few are brave enough to try it its good to hear you train this way though

Whos the master?? (not having a go, just curious-arnold,mentzer?)

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 02:29:45 PM »
Whos the master?? (not having a go, just curious-arnold,mentzer?)

davie

Master of Giant Sets would be Milos.

Slintowin4424

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 02:33:11 PM »
Master of Giant Sets would be Milos.
;D THank you my friend

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 02:51:32 PM »
slin can you gice me an example of a giant set you might perform..lets say for quads(thats what i hit tomorrow)..

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 05:03:33 PM »

I loved using Giant sets, when I was at a gym that I could do them at. My current gym just has far too many people, and it's hard enough to do straight sets at times! :'(

Candidizzle- here is a Giant set that I would do for quads, for hams you'll have to use your own imagination (and we all know you have quite an imagination!):

Rev. Hack Squats (525 Tempo)
Leg Extensions
Hack Squats (normal stance/cadence can be 22X)
Smith Machine "On Toes" Squats...instead of being on a block of wood, just stand on your toes as if there were a block under your heels and hold that way
BB Lunges
45* Leg Press

No rest, just keep going. The first set you might think "This is easy." Then after your 60-90 seconds of rest, you'll be nailed to the wall- HARD. Make sure you feel the muscle doing the work, DO NOT let momentum take over.
If you usually do 225 for Hack Squats, I would use around 185 for them here, possibly less. Depends on the person, the fortitude they have, and how much they're willing to push.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 10:49:14 AM »
I have used giant sets before but its a pain. b/c other ppl would take the bar i was using or jump on the leg extensions and change the settings. by the time I  put everything back together way too much time as past. I going to do the side lateral raise giant set  today. (aka Ronnie Coleman style )
)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 11:39:05 AM »
I did giant sets for about a month or so maybe a little longer, I really liked them but found it fairly hard to move up in weight in any consistent manor. They seem like they would be a great asset when dieting, but like Nocal i found it hard to keep equipment and the fact that a really needed a spot on some of the later exercises made it hard to do by myself

Question: how do you break your body down into workouts when doing giant sets?
I pretty much broke it down to chest and calves(id finish chest and then move onto calves, back and hamstrings(id finish back first then hams), quads, shoulders, and then bi's and tris (Id superset all the way through for bi' and tri's) on seperate days respectively

Slintowin4424

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 12:05:39 PM »
I have used giant sets before but its a pain. b/c other ppl would take the bar i was using or jump on the leg extensions and change the settings. by the time I  put everything back together way too much time as past. I going to do the side lateral raise giant set  today. (aka Ronnie Coleman style )
)

Ronnie coleman never used giant sets drop sets yes giant no way

Slintowin4424

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 12:06:16 PM »
I did giant sets for about a month or so maybe a little longer, I really liked them but found it fairly hard to move up in weight in any consistent manor. They seem like they would be a great asset when dieting, but like Nocal i found it hard to keep equipment and the fact that a really needed a spot on some of the later exercises made it hard to do by myself

Question: how do you break your body down into workouts when doing giant sets?
I pretty much broke it down to chest and calves(id finish chest and then move onto calves, back and hamstrings(id finish back first then hams), quads, shoulders, and then bi's and tris (Id superset all the way through for bi' and tri's) on seperate days respectively

I like the picture you used

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 06:57:17 PM »
Ronnie coleman never used giant sets drop sets yes giant no way

I think he's talking about what Ronnie CALLED giant sets in "the Unbelievable." To me, it's more "running the rack." Where you pick up a set of DB's, do AMAP, then jump up in weight and do this till you reach a certain point, then descend a la drop sets.
If I remember right, Ronnie called this a giant set, but like many FLEX articles, it's erroneous.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 07:12:28 PM »
Its nealy impossible to do giant sets unless your in the gym at 3 in the morning, I cant even do super sets cus when you look back, someone already took the machine you were using.
And to be honest sometime it gets on my nerves when people do them when its packed at the gym, i cant wait around all day while they are running around the gym using 3 or 4 diffent equipment at a time

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 07:41:43 PM »
I did them for about 12-13 weeks.....about week 6 or so, your strength starts coming back, by the end, I was using as much for giant sets as I was for straight sets when I started. Awesome cardio and teaches you to push your body to new extremes. I only used 5-6 exercises...it was enough. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 10:33:16 PM »
I did them for about 12-13 weeks.....about week 6 or so, your strength starts coming back, by the end, I was using as much for giant sets as I was for straight sets when I started. Awesome cardio and teaches you to push your body to new extremes. I only used 5-6 exercises...it was enough. ;)
hmm maybe i should have kepted up with it then, i only did like 5 or 6 as well and only 4 for quads

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 12:01:57 PM »
slin can you gice me an example of a giant set you might perform..lets say for quads(thats what i hit tomorrow)..
its all on Silvios dvd "the will of mine".

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 10:24:58 PM »
hmm maybe i should have kepted up with it then, i only did like 5 or 6 as well and only 4 for quads
Typical quad workout for us was...

Leg extentions

Squats

Leg press

Hack Squats

Leg extentions

By the time you get back to leg extentions the second time, you have a hard time walking.

I honestly don't know how those guys do 10,12+ exercises in a row on leg day.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 06:45:18 AM »
All you need is 4-6 exercises...........more is just retarded no matter who says otherwise!  :)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 01:54:55 PM »
I think they have their place if you want to change up your routine and shock your body a bit, but they aren't practical for a normal gym, pretty much impossible to do during normal working hours.

8)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 05:24:40 PM »
its all on Silvios dvd "the will of mine".
if i can find that on the torrents ill watch it..but im not a fan of silvio's at all, so i wont buy that dudes shit

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 04:44:15 PM »
All you need is 4-6 exercises...........more is just retarded no matter who says otherwise!  :)

I totally agree. I think Milos just does the same exerise over and over. how many different ways can you do  an exercise??

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 04:49:16 PM »
giant sets are easy to put together. just put at less 4 movements for any given bodypart and run  through them without resting.

there's an on of Bob Cickerillo on findarticles.com  on  he did giant sets, I think its call Giant sets for Giant Growth.

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 05:06:04 PM »
about a month ago i dropped the routine i was doing for a couple of years (3 sets 4 excersises per muscle group) whcih is what i assumed everyone was doing. usually i used heavy weights for around 8- 12 reps.

For the past few weeks ive been doing 30+ reps for all bodyparts and i cant believe the results. The pump and burn is unreal. I couldnt tell u the weight i use for each excersise, and could care less about strength, however the muscular size increases have been very noticeable. I started a high fat diet to try and elevate my testosterone levels and i can literally feel it working lol (Sex drive increases etc).

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 07:41:59 PM »
I totally agree. I think Milos just does the same exerise over and over. how many different ways can you do  an exercise??
It's all about positioning with those guys, hand position, foot poition, etc.

Take squats for example, can do, wide, narrow, bench, feet in front(smith), high angle bench...etc....lots of different ways, same exercise.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!