Author Topic: TORN BICEP!!!!  (Read 18601 times)

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
Re: TORN BICEP!!!!
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 05:46:26 PM »
Well, I just got back from my surgery a few hours ago. I can tell wearing this wrapping for the next week is going to SUCK. Everything went well, no problems, ang I feal okay right now. My left hand keeps falling asleep though and I'm having a hard time waking it up since i can't move my arm. Any suggestions Nash? Showering after the surgery was intersesting to, some easy day to day tasks should be an adventure this week. :)

The wrap is going to be heavy, just let it rest in the sling this week like dead weight.

They probably put a local block in your shoulder to deaden the nerve for your arm, that should wearoff sometime tonight, GO AHEAD AND LOAD UP ON THE PAIN MED. I used the pain med for the first two days, after that I stopped. I had to sleep on my back for the first week with my arm still in the sling. I placed a pillow under my arm/elbow so I could keep the arm resting on my stomach. If you snore tell her to deal with it or for her to sleep on the couch.

wear a trash bag over your arm in the shower, get your wife or girl to wash you...pity sex ain't all that bad. ;D

sept 10th APF

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 06:25:53 PM »
The wrap is going to be heavy, just let it rest in the sling this week like dead weight.

They probably put a local block in your shoulder to deaden the nerve for your arm, that should wearoff sometime tonight, GO AHEAD AND LOAD UP ON THE PAIN MED. I used the pain med for the first two days, after that I stopped. I had to sleep on my back for the first week with my arm still in the sling. I placed a pillow under my arm/elbow so I could keep the arm resting on my stomach. If you snore tell her to deal with it or for her to sleep on the couch.

wear a trash bag over your arm in the shower, get your wife or girl to wash you...pity sex ain't all that bad. ;D

Yeah, after I posted that, I realized it was just numb from the anesthitic and its back to normal now. I did the trash bag thing earlier and she did have to wash me and dry me off, felt like a King.........with a gimp arm. I'm about to take another Vicoden right now, probably sleepy time again. :D

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 04:40:45 PM »
had surgery today, hurts a bit but not as bad as i thought it would be.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 06:06:06 PM »
You had surgery TODAY....the local ain't wore off yet, take the pain meds - get'em in your system, they will help you sleep. don't get me wrong, this ain't no painfull surgery and recovery. I've done it twice post op don't hurt, just take the meds for the first few days especially around bed time. be carefull sleeping THAT is the time you make rerupture it.
sept 10th APF

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 01:56:24 PM »
I'm 3 days post op. and feel 10 times better than I did the first day. My shoulder hurts more today than anything, keeping it propped up all the time sucks.
So far, so good :)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 03:02:54 PM »
Well, I just got back from my surgery a few hours ago. I can tell wearing this wrapping for the next week is going to SUCK. Everything went well, no problems, ang I feal okay right now. My left hand keeps falling asleep though and I'm having a hard time waking it up since i can't move my arm. Any suggestions Nash? Showering after the surgery was intersesting to, some easy day to day tasks should be an adventure this week. :)

seems like you're doing no worse for wear HAHA... how long did the surgery take? what procedure did they follow?

Try squeezing on a ball or something to just pump a litlte blood in there...but a small easy to do foam ball or walmart exercise grip joke whatever they sell.

get better bro...but damn take your time!  ;D

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 05:49:26 PM »
seems like you're doing no worse for wear HAHA... how long did the surgery take? what procedure did they follow?

Try squeezing on a ball or something to just pump a litlte blood in there...but a small easy to do foam ball or walmart exercise grip joke whatever they sell.

get better bro...but damn take your time!  ;D

I'm doing okay, bored as everything though. I think the surgery took a little over 2 hours, not really for sure though. The Doc told me the exact method after the surgery, but I was still out of it. If I remember, he said he used the 2 small incision way, like what Nash talks about in his post. I'm not going to use that hand until they tell me to. I can move my fingers, but I feal it all the way up and down my forearm, so I'm hesitant on doing ANYTHING with that arm, until they give me the green light. Better to let that one heal good so this doesn't happen again. I'll take my time, just gives me something to work towards when I get well. Later bro.....

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 07:26:22 PM »
yes, it's too soon to flex the hand. just let the arm be dead weight this week. next week you can rotate the shoulder some and make a relaxed fist with your hand, that will help the forearm feel better like i said in one of the earlier post. the grip ball is a GOOD idea for about 3 weeks post op. have your girl massage your shoulder (while you can get some sympathy, lol)
sept 10th APF

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 08:20:57 PM »
how is everybody after all the bicep surgeries?

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2008, 04:04:09 AM »

How are YOU?   :)

:)

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2008, 10:36:13 AM »
Mine was in Nov and I've been back training since March/April. ;D
sept 10th APF

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2008, 01:05:34 PM »

How are YOU?   :)

better, its been 7 weeks and my normal day to day life is back to normal. I have been doing all body parts except back and bi's since surgery, just now getting into light back and biceps. All in all i think that i will be back to normal in another 6-8 weeks or so depending.

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2008, 07:35:49 PM »

I just saw this thread, been out of town for a few. Mine is like Brent's, pretty much back to normal. Still taking it very easy on upper body, I'm only doing pushing movements and haven't started on pulling yet, will start those relatively soon though. All in all, wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. I got to give a HUGE!!!!!!!!!!! shoutout to Nash. This guy is a really great guy. I wore his PM function out by bothering him with so many questions. But he answered everything in great detail and very quickly. This is one stand up guy that goes to prove there are still good folks in this world willing to help there fellow man. So if you are ever unlucky enough to tear yours, Nash is the go to guy for getbig.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008, 07:46:52 PM »
Awesome to hear that you guys are all on the road to recovery.   8)

:)

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 08:20:56 PM »
I just saw this thread, been out of town for a few. Mine is like Brent's, pretty much back to normal. Still taking it very easy on upper body, I'm only doing pushing movements and haven't started on pulling yet, will start those relatively soon though. All in all, wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. I got to give a HUGE!!!!!!!!!!! shoutout to Nash. This guy is a really great guy. I wore his PM function out by bothering him with so many questions. But he answered everything in great detail and very quickly. This is one stand up guy that goes to prove there are still good folks in this world willing to help there fellow man. So if you are ever unlucky enough to tear yours, Nash is the go to guy for getbig.

i agree, it is nice to see that among all the "people" here on get big, you can still run into some nice people with truely good sound advice!

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »
thank you both for the kind words. ;)
sept 10th APF

cl

• Getbig II
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2008, 09:29:21 AM »
I have a question... How do you know if you have a torn bicep?  I injured my left arm about two weeks ago... if I bend my arm to 90 degrees and rotate the forearm it hurts. I cannot lift anything over my head or basically curl any thing. If I wear a elbow/bicep type wrap I can do cable pull downs with about 100 lbs but the next day the arm is sore. I tried elect stem (i have a unit at home) did not really help. I now put muscle relief cream on it at night but that does not really seem to help either. It does not hurt though to grab or rub the bicep I was just wondering if these are the signs or a torn bicep or not. Thanks in advance  CL

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2008, 10:52:13 AM »
I have a question... How do you know if you have a torn bicep?  I injured my left arm about two weeks ago... if I bend my arm to 90 degrees and rotate the forearm it hurts. I cannot lift anything over my head or basically curl any thing. If I wear a elbow/bicep type wrap I can do cable pull downs with about 100 lbs but the next day the arm is sore. I tried elect stem (i have a unit at home) did not really help. I now put muscle relief cream on it at night but that does not really seem to help either. It does not hurt though to grab or rub the bicep I was just wondering if these are the signs or a torn bicep or not. Thanks in advance  CL

Hopefully Nash will chime in, but until then. When I tore mine I physiclly heard it pop. The night of the injury, I could look at it and it really did just look different. Like if I put my elbows at ear level and hands facing up, the torn bicep seemed to just fall over itself toward the ground, much further than the right. 3 days after I hurt mine, it had retracted toward my shoulder a couple centimeters. 4 days later which was the day of surgery, you could look at it and see it was beginning to go towards the shoulder. By the way I had  a distal bicep tear, at the forearm. Go to an orthopedic surgeon, they can do a few tests and tell pretty quickly. A simple one is to supinate both wrists and watch your biceps, if they both move equally up and down during the rotation, you are probably okay. If one is torn, it won't move. You could have a partial tear as well, I think those are harder for the Doc to diagnose.

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2008, 12:57:10 PM »

if you supinate or pronate your arm at 90 degrees you should be able to see that the bicep tendon is either attached and moving or detached and not really doing anything at all. From what ive read i doubt that it is fully ruptured (or at least i hope not) but when in doubt stop all lifting and see an orthopedist asap. Even in a case of a partial rupture you can tear it all the way thru making iinjury much much worse. Be safer than sorry get it checked out.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2008, 12:38:12 PM »
"brent" and "falsehood" both gave great information and both nailed it all right on the head. stop lifting, see an orthopedist - I doubt a regular internal medicine family doctor could help.

has there been ANY  bruising on that arm? that's one big red flag that you tore it.

see a pro then we'll help you understand the process to recovery. All three of us have torn our biceps.  ;D it's no big deal.
sept 10th APF

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2008, 06:39:45 PM »
"brent" and "falsehood" both gave great information and both nailed it all right on the head. stop lifting, see an orthopedist - I doubt a regular internal medicine family doctor could help.

has there been ANY  bruising on that arm? that's one big red flag that you tore it.

see a pro then we'll help you understand the process to recovery. All three of us have torn our biceps.  ;D it's no big deal.
no big deal is right, its been a little over 2 months and im back to doing what i love to do (not 100% yet) but def. not  a death sentence like i thought at first.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2008, 10:48:10 PM »
wow you healed quick :)
A

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »
wow you healed quick :)

You sure do! Good for you.
I tore mine and it really never did come back right! I can't turn my wrist palms up like when someone hands you change, I can only turn it to the handshake position. I tore it at the bottom of the bicep 100% tear rolled right up into my shoulder.. I looked like Popeye the Sailor!! all forearm & no bicep LOL. I was in a cast for 6 weeks alone! and even after months of physical therapy it never did get back to normal.
Even worse is it was my left arm.. I'm left handed  :-\
Masters- 50-54
148#

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2008, 10:35:58 AM »

You sure do! Good for you.
I tore mine and it really never did come back right! I can't turn my wrist palms up like when someone hands you change, I can only turn it to the handshake position. I tore it at the bottom of the bicep 100% tear rolled right up into my shoulder.. I looked like Popeye the Sailor!! all forearm & no bicep LOL. I was in a cast for 6 weeks alone! and even after months of physical therapy it never did get back to normal.
Even worse is it was my left arm.. I'm left handed  :-\

Did you have the surgery to reconnect it though?

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2008, 05:48:16 PM »
Yes they cut in front of the bicep and around the elbow in back
Masters- 50-54
148#