Author Topic: what's your gym got?  (Read 6106 times)

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
what's your gym got?
« on: March 26, 2008, 08:10:48 PM »
Is your gym a gym or is it a "fitness club"

What's the heaviest dumbells they have?

Do they have a T-Bar row apparatus?

Do they have punching bags?

Is there a pool?  Sauna?  Hot tub?  Cold tub/ice maker?

Powerlifting platforms?  (the kind you can drop a loaded bar on from 6 feet)

Squat racks? (sounds silly to ask, but there are gyms that do not have them because untrained people will hurt themselves and are better off on a hack squat machine)

At my gym the dumbells only go to 110.  We have 1 squat rack, and only 1 smith machine, 1 cable crossover.  One preacher curl bench. 

Thankfully I get to workout at noon so I usually don't have to wait for equipment.  And this is a Bally's gym.  The old gym had so much more before they closed it down to build the new "state of the art" gym, but they lost so many amenities the old gym had.  We used to have steam room, and dry sauna, indoor track, indoor basketball court and raquetball, 4 squat racks, tbar row.....  now its a fitness club.  You used to get to work out to ac-dc and van halen...now its top 40 crap. 

What happened to the old school workout dungeons? 

Recently I went to a local high school where my workout partner works.  They have a pool so we went over there for a swim.  I asked him about the weight room so he brought me to the gym.  Their weight room sucked.  It had old cybex machines, one benchpress, and a couple pilates machines.  There was dumbells up to 60 pounds.  What the hell is anyone going to do in there?  Then he says this is just the students weight room.  Then he brings me to the athletic department weight room.  Apparently this is only for the kids in competitive sports.....and it was like something out of pumping iron.  They had the powerlifting platforms with the big colored rubbery weights.  They had medicine balls going up to like 80 pounds.  They had a row of hooks with the athlete's weight belts hanging up....and a board on the wall with the school records for bench, deadlift, squat, cleans, etc....
They had weight sleds with harnesses...dumbells going up to 150 lbs...old school VERTICAL leg press machine, and a modified hack squat that was almost upside down for guys to do lineman drills off of...like a face down hack squat.  Weighted jumpropes.  Punching bags....and enough benches and freeweights for a whole team to workout at once.

All this stuff my tax dollars pay for for these kids, no wonder the high school bench record was 340.  Meanwhile Bally's makes all this money and can't be bothered to even pick up a t- bar row.  WTF?

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: what's your gym got?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 01:29:07 PM »
24hour FITNESS  at the moment
yeah
no
yes yes yes and no
yup. douchebags use it for "cleans" and shit all the time.
Squat racks? (sounds silly to ask, but there are gyms that do not have them because untrained people will hurt themselves and are better off on a hack squat machine)
ONE squat rack, ONE smith machine, ONE power rack.

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:34:39 PM »
mine has lots of stuff, minus a pool, hot tub, and ice machine.  i think of it as a gym more though.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 04:19:05 PM »
Is your gym a gym or is it a "fitness club" Gym

What's the heaviest dumbells they have? well the 110 and 120 are getting replaced, so right now only the 100's

Do they have a T-Bar row apparatus? No, we do them Ronnie style in the corner

Do they have punching bags? No

Is there a pool?  Sauna?  Hot tub?  Cold tub/ice maker? No, No, No, No

Powerlifting platforms?  (the kind you can drop a loaded bar on from 6 feet) Yes

Squat racks? (sounds silly to ask, but there are gyms that do not have them because untrained people will hurt themselves and are better off on a hack squat machine) Yes, only 1 as my gym is fairly small.

No doubt about it...

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 05:40:54 PM »
2 power racks, 1 staircase squat rack, 2 Smith's, dumbells up to 160's, 3 different types of leg presses, 4 flat barbell benches, 2 incline barbell benches, 1 decline barbell bench, 1 shoulder press bench, Flex stack machines everywhere, 1 multi purpose cable crossover/pulldown unit, 2 heavy duty V shaped dip bars, 4 free standing flat benches, 4 free standing incline benches, 1 free standing decline bench, 2 free standing shoulder press benches, 1 Flex Hack Squat, 1 Flex Standing calf machine, 1 Flex seated calf machine, 2 Cybex cable crossover units and at least 20 treadmills, 6 recumbant bikes, 1 stepper, a bunch of ellipticals, in other words a pretty damn good gym.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:00:37 PM »

What's the heaviest dumbells they have? 250
Do they have a T-Bar row apparatus? Yes, two of them and a barbell shoved in a corner
Do they have punching bags? Yes
Is there a pool?  Sauna?  Hot tub?  Cold tub/ice maker? No to all.

Powerlifting platforms?  (the kind you can drop a loaded bar on from 6 feet) Yes.

Squat racks? (sounds silly to ask, but there are gyms that do not have them because untrained people will hurt themselves and are better off on a hack squat machine) Yes, 5 of them.

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 11:29:01 PM »

I like your Gym. The Dumbells in my Gym only go up to 150 lbs. :(

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 11:49:30 PM »
No doubt about it...

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 11:56:50 PM »
Is your gym a gym or is it a "fitness club" Most definitely a gym

What's the heaviest dumbells they have? 220lbs

Do they have a T-Bar row apparatus? Yes
Do they have punching bags? Just one
Is there a pool?  Sauna?  Hot tub?  Cold tub/ice maker? Haha - you'll be lucky if the showers work or the toilet has got a hanle to flush it.

Powerlifting platforms?  (the kind you can drop a loaded bar on from 6 feet) We used to but they got rid of it some years ago (probably to replace it with the punching bag).

Squat racks? (sounds silly to ask, but there are gyms that do not have them because untrained people will hurt themselves and are better off on a hack squat machine) Yes, one power rack.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 04:12:19 PM »
2 power racks, 1 staircase squat rack, 2 Smith's, dumbells up to 160's, 3 different types of leg presses, 4 flat barbell benches, 2 incline barbell benches, 1 decline barbell bench, 1 shoulder press bench, Flex stack machines everywhere, 1 multi purpose cable crossover/pulldown unit, 2 heavy duty V shaped dip bars, 4 free standing flat benches, 4 free standing incline benches, 1 free standing decline bench, 2 free standing shoulder press benches, 1 Flex Hack Squat, 1 Flex Standing calf machine, 1 Flex seated calf machine, 2 Cybex cable crossover units and at least 20 treadmills, 6 recumbant bikes, 1 stepper, a bunch of ellipticals, in other words a pretty damn good gym.
These should be mandatory in gyms. Mine doesn't have one. Gotta be creative.  :-\

Gym dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 06:30:51 PM »
My gym has got two power lifting platforms, one lifting cage,one smith machine,leg press,hack squats,DB range from 2.5kg to 70kg,plates that go up to25kg max.Lots of great weights and world class weights.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 06:31:46 PM »
damn, you guys have some nice gyms.

I train at an old military base gym with 1950's equipment and ashtrays (ok no ashtrays, but its ghetto). 
DB's go up to 170 (which is plenty for me), but they rattle so much, Im afraid Im going to crush my melon when Im doing OH tricep extension. cold in the winter, hot in the summer.  Fortunately, very few people go there or we'd be butts to nuts.

We do have 1 nice smith machine though!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 01:05:44 PM »
damn, you guys have some nice gyms.

I train at an old military base gym with 1950's equipment and ashtrays (ok no ashtrays, but its ghetto). 
DB's go up to 170 (which is plenty for me), but they rattle so much, Im afraid Im going to crush my melon when Im doing OH tricep extension. cold in the winter, hot in the summer.  Fortunately, very few people go there or we'd be butts to nuts.

We do have 1 nice smith machine though!
you do overhead extensions with a 170 pound db?

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 01:55:41 PM »
you do overhead extensions with a 170 pound db?

no, not at all. but they all rattle the same.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 04:30:13 PM »
no, not at all. but they all rattle the same.
oh ok, i was gonna say :o

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 04:49:19 PM »
Is your gym a gym or is it a "fitness club"  GYM

What's the heaviest dumbells they have? 160 or 180, cant really remember

Do they have a T-Bar row apparatus? 3

Do they have punching bags? We had to take it down for room...I think they put it in the ninja room.Is there a pool?  Sauna?  Hot tub?  Cold tub/ice maker?  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPowerlifting platforms?  (the kind you can drop a loaded bar on from 6 feet) 3
Squat racks? (sounds silly to ask, but there are gyms that do not have them because untrained people will hurt themselves and are better off on a hack squat machine) MONOLIFT, 3 power racks, a squat rack, and another monolift soon!

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 11:50:01 PM »
They just renovated my gym..it was a great gym..totally oldschool and shit, function over form, yknow? Now its fag machinery over function. god damn im so pissed :(

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 01:32:24 AM »

Hahaha, ninja room. Your gym is too hardcore for me :D
No doubt about it...

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 09:14:02 AM »
Hahaha, ninja room. Your gym is too hardcore for me :D

It was part of a garage they finished and have "ju jitsue" classes in now.  Verbatim how the sign spells it. Also has an average class size of 3 including 2 instructors.

Jason

snowboarding_bear

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 07:29:02 AM »
at my schools weightlifting room..its got just  12 to 90lb dumbells...5 benchs, 5 squats, 6-7 powerlifting, 2 incline benches, 2 lat pull down, thing for dips, and a pull up bar. it sucks. all  of it.
but its not like anyone really uses them..i think on average..5 people each class will work out

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 11:19:28 PM »
GYM/ FIGHTING CENTER
YES
YES AT LEAST 10
NO, YES, NO, NO
YES
YES- 2
wE ALSO HAVE A MMA CAGE IN THE MIDDEL OF THE GYM FLOOR

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 05:49:45 PM »
My gym got renovated, it now has no: Military press, squat cage, and peck deck. The new benches wobble when you sit on them, and the new lat pulldown and seated cable row are next to useless.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 10:56:13 PM »
My gym got renovated, it now has no: Military press, squat cage, and peck deck. The new benches wobble when you sit on them, and the new lat pulldown and seated cable row are next to useless.

nice renovation! was it done by halliburton?

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 12:13:22 AM »
nice renovation! was it done by halliburton?

Oh man you cant imagine how bad a job they did...see it was a great gym before..really oldschool...had everything you needed. Now its got fuckign HARDWOOD FLOORS and cable machines that i can easily do stack on. And I'm not overly strong so they're OBVIOUSLY made for women..or fags.

Guess its time to find a new gym..its just so depressing..cuz the gym was totally perfect before.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 09:22:54 PM »
mine has everything i wanted when i trained, which isn't a surprise, since i have owned it for 16 years. every type of cardio, hammer, free weights, 16000 sq ft.  closed dec. 25., the only day each year.

fyi, not a business venture i would ever pursue again, the building phase to a good income was close to ten years of all day/ every day.