Author Topic: Parents pick prayer over docs; girl dies  (Read 10701 times)

Barracuda

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Teeth in the Darkness
Parents pick prayer over docs; girl dies
« on: March 28, 2008, 01:25:18 AM »
WESTON, Wis. - Police are investigating an 11-year-old girl's death from an undiagnosed, treatable form of diabetes after her parents chose to pray for her rather than take her to a doctor.
An autopsy showed Madeline Neumann died Sunday of diabetic ketoacidosis, a condition that left too little insulin in her body, Everest Metro Police Chief Dan Vergin said.

She had probably been ill for about a month, suffering symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, excessive thirst, loss of appetite and weakness, the chief said Wednesday, noting that he expects to complete the investigation by Friday and forward the results to the district attorney.

The girl's mother, Leilani Neumann, said that she and her family believe in the Bible and that healing comes from God, but that they do not belong to an organized religion or faith, are not fanatics and have nothing against doctors.

She insisted her youngest child, a wiry girl known to wear her straight brown hair in a ponytail, was in good health until recently.

"We just noticed a tiredness within the past two weeks," she said Wednesday. "And then just the day before and that day (she died), it suddenly just went to a more serious situation. We stayed fast in prayer then. We believed that she would recover. We saw signs that to us, it looked like she was recovering."
Her daughter — who hadn't seen a doctor since she got some shots as a 3-year-old, according to Vergin — had no fever and there was warmth in her body, she said.

The girl's father, Dale Neumann, a former police officer, said he started CPR "as soon as the breath of life left" his daughter's body.

Family members elsewhere called authorities to seek help for the girl.

"My sister-in-law, she's very religious, she believes in faith instead of doctors ...," the girl's aunt told a sheriff's dispatcher Sunday afternoon in a call from California. "And she called my mother-in-law today ... and she explained to us that she believes her daughter's in a coma now and she's relying on faith."

The dispatcher got more information from the caller and asked whether an ambulance should be sent.

"Please," the woman replied. "I mean, she's refusing. She's going to fight it. ... We've been trying to get her to take her to the hospital for a week, a few days now."

The aunt called back with more information on the family's location, emergency logs show. Family friends also made a 911 call from the home. Police and paramedics arrived within minutes and immediately called for an ambulance that took her to a hospital.

But less than an hour after authorities reached the home, Madeline — a bright student who left public school for home schooling this semester — was declared dead.

She is survived by her parents and three older siblings.

"We are remaining strong for our children," Leilani Neumann said. "Only our faith in God is giving us strength at this time."

The Neumanns said they moved from California to a modern, middle-class home in woodsy Weston, just outside Wassau in central Wisconsin, about two years ago to open a coffee shop and be closer to other relatives. A basketball hoop is set up in the driveway.

Leilani Neumann said she and her husband are not worried about the investigation because "our lives are in God's hands. We know we did not do anything criminal. We know we did the best for our daughter we knew how to do."

All religious freaks should put their health and lives in the hands of God. Lets see how much their God truly cares
Its tragic that the kid paid for her parents stupidity.
I'm sure its all part of gods divine plan ::)

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Parents pick prayer over docs; girl dies
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 03:49:23 AM »
only in the USA

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 03:51:12 AM »

All religious freaks should put their health and lives in the hands of God. Lets see how much their God truly cares

agreed, natural selection would take care of it all.
It hasn't helped...

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 04:13:54 AM »
That felt good.

w8m8

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 04:21:22 AM »

The girl's father, Dale Neumann, a former police officer, said he started CPR "as soon as the breath of life left" his daughter's body.

why ? wasn't that in direct conflict of his wife's beliefs ?

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 04:54:29 AM »
wow.

Triple-H_2005

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I mostly lurk...
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 05:47:24 AM »

I agree that the parents were stupid, backward, ignorant and bilnded, but that doesn't mean that having religious faith is the sole arbitor of stupidity in a person.  There are plenty of stupid Atheists, too.

I, and the majority of Christians, believe that God does heal, but he gave us intelligence, science and medical advances as tools to use to preserve, prolong and improve life.  That this girl's parents chose to remain in the Middle Ages should not be an indictment of the intelligence of Christians as a whole.

You can have your opinion about our beliefs, but to believe that this incident speaks for all of us is the height of ignorant hubris.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 05:49:58 AM »
the religious institutions are on the bottom of the dirt.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 06:25:52 AM »
I agree that the parents were stupid, backward, ignorant and bilnded, but that doesn't mean that having religious faith is the sole arbitor of stupidity in a person.  There are plenty of stupid Atheists, too.

I, and the majority of Christians, believe that God does heal, but he gave us intelligence, science and medical advances as tools to use to preserve, prolong and improve life.  That this girl's parents chose to remain in the Middle Ages should not be an indictment of the intelligence of Christians as a whole.

You can have your opinion about our beliefs, but to believe that this incident speaks for all of us is the height of ignorant hubris.

I hear you but to believe that an invisible guy in the sky can help cure their girl while the same invisible all knowing guy did FUCK all when the Germans killed over 40 Million people is dumper than a second coat of paint.

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 06:30:36 AM »
Please, people, give God a break! He just has a different sense of time then we do. He's just been on a lunch break for the past two milleniums.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 06:32:37 AM »
i always find it strange that an intelligent person with a clear view on things can be religious what do you think Stark?
someone posted a clip here with multiple great persons in our history who were atheists but thats kind of lame because there where as much great religious people probably.

omg

• Getbig III
  • Maybe we all just havent figured it out yet
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 06:35:25 AM »
Please, people, give God a break! He just has a different sense of time then we do. He's just been on a lunch break for the past two milleniums.

you laugh at god all you want, you know science has not even explained 5% of the mysteries of the universe. fyi there are billions of planets out there and this is but one, the only logical explaination is a god.

death is but a passage all life must pass. dont feel sad for dead for they might be in greater peace than you know. all life ends in death, the purpose of life is death. why? i dunno. you cannot beat your maker aka god with anything your mind can conceive my friends. just like a dog does not understand what is outside his doggy world, we humans canot fathom outside our realms too

look at your us dollar bill "in god we trust"  ;)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 06:36:39 AM »
you laugh at god all you want, you know science has not even explained 5% of the mysteries of the universe. fyi there are billions of planets out there and this is but one, the only logical explaination is a god.

death is but a passage all life must pass. dont feel sad for dead for they might be in greater peace than you know. all life ends in death, the purpose of life is death. why? i dunno. you cannot beat your maker aka god with anything your mind can conceive my friends. just like a dog does not understand what is outside his doggy world, we humans canot fathom outside our realms too

look at your us dollar bill "in god we trust"  ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Here I was thinking today was April 1st!

gatrainer

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 06:51:27 AM »
I hear you but to believe that an invisible guy in the sky can help cure their girl while the same invisible all knowing guy did FUCK all when the Germans killed over 40 Million people is dumper than a second coat of paint.

he gives us all free will

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 07:31:23 AM »
What does this topic have to do with bodybuilding gossip or opinions?   ???

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=207732.0

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 07:32:51 AM »
What does this topic have to do with bodybuilding gossip or opinions?   ???

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=207732.0

easy there jockrider. we will continue posting oiled up men in thongs when we are finished mkay?

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 07:34:55 AM »

look at your us dollar bill "in god we trust"  ;)

in the unknown we trust it seems.

"he only logical explaination is a god" gtfo. plz.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 07:38:50 AM »
easy there jockrider. we will continue posting oiled up men in thongs when we are finished mkay?

hahahhahahahaah ;D

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 07:39:38 AM »

well said... some religious people are just too plain stupid
I am a mini beast

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 07:46:09 AM »

Well, I'd say to you the same thing I'd say to all the self-proclaimed "moderate muslims"...   until you can get the more extreme among you to stop doing stupid shit on a regular basis, you will all be painted with the same brush.
Ron: "I am lazy."

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 07:49:43 AM »
stupid is as stupid does

Triple-H_2005

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I mostly lurk...
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 07:51:56 AM »

Well, I'd say to you the same thing I'd say to all the self-proclaimed "moderate muslims"...   until you can get the more extreme among you to stop doing stupid shit on a regular basis, you will all be painted with the same brush.
Dude, you can paint me with whatever brush you like.  It doesn't mean you're right.

I know who I am and what's in my heart.  I am content in my beliefs and secure in the condition of my soul. 

If that makes me "ignorant and backward", so be it.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 07:53:25 AM »
It's not like millions of christians use this same philosophy instead of checking in at the hospital. This is first report ever like this.

On the other hand, you have millions of 'moderate muslims' doing extreme things all the time for many years.

Can't always paint with the same brush.

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 07:58:49 AM »
Thats how we roll in wisconsin bitches!

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 08:18:42 AM »
treatable form of diabetes??  ::)  Where is the link.
A