Author Topic: Did Arnold really loathe Mentzer?  (Read 38363 times)

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Re: Did Arnold really loathe Mentzer?
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »
I think the combination of amphetamines and steroids was bad. To be fair to Mike, he did research the literature before trying amphetamines, saw the risk factors, but figured since he was focused that it wouldn't be a problem. And apparently it wasn't at first. Til the shit hit the fan.  Lose your mom, then your first O soon after- then the next year the biggest contest of your life after killing yourself for 6 months, then your dad dies and your fiancee breaks it off.. Thats a lot in a short time to handle...

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2013, 09:29:42 AM »
You have to understand that Ray was an intense guy. He just wanted to be left alone. I liked him and we got along just fine. I even stayed at his place in Torrance in 91. I introduced Ray to his wife. Anyway, Ray felt his Dad favoured Mike. So, when Mike was doing crazy things in the street and got in trouble with the law Ray was told to give Mike a job. So Ray let Mike help him at the Muscle Mill. According to Ray, Mike antagonized some of the police who were members there so they quit the gym and Ray lost money. He didn't really want Mike there when he wasn't well but I guess he had to do something. I don't know the particulars of what drugs Mike was using but they were recreational ones that caused him to do bizarre things. Mike also smoked like a chimney and that impacted on his health. Whether Mike still used drugs up to his passing I have no idea. Mike was working his client at Golds Gym in Venice when I was there in 91. Ray got me an appointment to meet Mike and we spoke for an hour or so. Neither of us changed what we believed. I don't think he was impressed with the article I wrote on the 1980 Mr Olympia. I gave it to him and didn't keep a copy because no magazine would publish it. I wonder if he destroyed it?

I can tell you that Ray's girlfriend Kathy said she didn't want to be around Ray when he was training for a competition. He and his training partners would meet and take something to get hyped up for a workout. Plus steroids for growth. Then they would take something afterwards to settle down. The whole scene was an emotional roller coaster according to her and she wanted no part of that scene. Ray told me in 1991 that he got ill when his weight approached 300 pounds the last time he bulked in 88-90. He said many of the other guys got ill, too. I didn't ask what illness but I imagine it had something to do with the kidneys. Ray was on dialysis for the last years of his life. Some say it was a disease he inherited and others blame all the drugs over the years. Painkillers, too. I don't have any details so some of this is pure speculation. He did give me two pills for a migraine headache in 91. I didn't want to go out it was so bad. I asked him what the pill was. He refused to tell me but said it would cure the headache. I reluctantly took the pills. Yep, headache soon evaporated. He had pain in his neck from heavy lifting so needed painkillers. Maybe some guys get addicted to them or rely on them? I don't often get headaches so wouldn't have been looking for that quick fix.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »
Thanks Vince, what amazing dramas have happened in the lives of those we held as hero's as teens!!! :o

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2013, 10:42:44 AM »

roelly winklaar does similar poses

grandma must have been studying mm

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2013, 10:46:13 AM »
mike was realy hit hard by olympia 1980 . so be it. to me he was  maybe mistaken trying to let us beleive that his was the only SCIENTIFIC WAY of training . he like to be an iconoclast a bit according to balik . but ther must be room for different people with different thinking on this world .

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »
Mike: Arnold, you better stay seated before I knock your teeth out!
Arnold: Mike, you couldn't knock anyone's teeth out with that bulging stomach, and brutal glasses.

Samir: Arnold, you're an OWNING machine. Gimme five!
Arnold: Poor Mike. He was too easy.

haha... very good!!

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2013, 03:02:40 PM »
roelly winklaar does similar poses

grandma must have been studying mm
;)

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »
this mr o 1980 haf many judges close to the oak . busek ryan and park . hardly fair judging . arnold presence was enough to let him win .

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
Arnold was a soldier was trained a little for hand to hand combat , he would of destroyed Mentzer in a fight

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »
Arnold was a soldier was trained a little for hand to hand combat , he would of destroyed Mentzer in a fight
Single handedly killed 102 latino gangsters

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2013, 12:56:53 PM »
Single handedly killed 102 latino gangsters

rofl

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »
bodybuilding a strange activity . not really sport not really art . a bit both .

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »
It's interesting looking at head cases of yesteryear realizing today that they were mentally ill from jump street.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2013, 01:26:02 PM »
bodybuilding a strange activity . not really gay not really straight. a bit both .
yeah but what u gonna do

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2013, 02:23:14 PM »
Bodybuildings a strange activity. Not really a sport at all, but really really gay.

True..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2013, 03:09:27 PM »
I just finished reading in a magazine about Mentzer that Arnold called Mike about Ray's health and actually provided financial assistance. After that they buried the hatchet. Whether that is true I don't know. It was written by that British guy Peter Mcgough (SP) who was the editor of Flex for a awhile.