Author Topic: Power Factor and Static Contraction Training  (Read 2925 times)

Tombo

• Getbig V
Power Factor and Static Contraction Training
« on: March 28, 2008, 07:55:15 AM »
Anyone done this? the works of Pete Sisco? seems too good to be true, but I'm still going to try it for a few months because of my schedule getting a lil' more packed lately.

JasonH

• Getbig V
Re: Power Factor and Static Contraction Training
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »
I remember Mike Matarrazo and Paul Demayo used it in their training back in the day (well, according to Flex mag at least) - I tried it but didn't really get much benefit from it.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 01:13:43 PM »
Yes it works very well with compound  partial short range movements. Usually the reps are between 10 to 30 or even 40 reps carried to the extreme. Surprising what the body is capable of and this calls upon the real potential. Sometimes those 30 rep extremely heavy benches  can go fairly easily after a little time invested in workouts. One workout 430 may seem like a lot to lift and the next workout it really does not feel that hard at all. You can get very strong, very, very fast. You will need a solid built power rack. Some have used "A" framed racks, heavy training boxes, jacks, etc. But remember these are pin positioned short  lifts.

This would be true volume training where you try beating the poundage lifted in the last workout. You take the weight used and add reps with the time factor it took to do it all together. You will need a stop watch and a training journal to write everything about your workouts. Some Olympic lifters have trained this way, with increased volume the main concern.I have the original book with some workouts listed. Badly edited book though, but you will get the general idea of short range training. Trouble is, those 500 plus 4 inch lockouts do not always transfer over to regular benching. A lot of guys get to the point of doing 800-900lb DL's from the top pin position (maybe 3-4 inches) for 20 reps or so but that does not seem to improve the regular DL that much. A little yes, but not to the degree you think it would. Probably because you are not using a true 3 pin position in this style training.

Surprise is,in most cases, the joint area can get stronger, rather than damaged, with those overwhelming loads put upon them. Your muscles will get thicker and more powerful looking.Good Luck.
F

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »
Yeah i just need to find my 'sweet spot' or 'strong range' of 2-3 inches, you reckon 30-40 reps eh? on top of static training?

It is also very simple the way they calculate intensity, i never really thought about time x effort, the mainstream trainers blow you off for suggesting such a thing.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 08:22:47 AM »
Remember that you are only training your strongest range of motion, which is usually the fully extended position (lockouts) in the push (presses, benches, etc). With pulls that usually start at a full  stretch position (chins, rows, curls,etc). The three ranges of strength for a given muscle are start, middle and finish.Each range has it's own strength level. Trouble with the Power Factor training, only one strength range is worked. Selected power rack pin positions will train all three levels on their own power levels. Example being, some guy's have trouble with the middle range of the BP. That middle range should be trained more for increased power.

Power Factor is a good way to train for short periods (6-8 weeks). The confidence level will rise to the sky. You will get results with using very heavy weights that can amaze other people who may watch you. But as before, it does not always transfer over to regular benching, squats or DL's for example. If you can do a 800lb 4 inch top range squats you will not do 800lb full squats.

With Static holds, do not included with PF'er training as a general rule. Though some very advanced lifters will do a set or 2  of holds of 10 to 20 seconds after a regular workout. Static contractions (another version of the overload system) gives positive results. Many will be surprise that by just holding a weight with those static holds/contractions they can greatly add to the basic power of a lift. Works well with benches and overhead presses. Also very true for squats and the Hise Shrug (the Hise Shrug is another great exercise that no one bothers to do any more...another mass builder forgotten). Paul Anderson set the standard for squats (akin to the 4 minute mile in my view) with static holds and partials  back in the 50's & 60's. Other old time strongmen did the same with just standing with a extreme amount of weight supported on their backs, as Anderson did. Can build overall strength.

That Power Factor book has some unbelievable shots of Paul DeMayo, as BigJ noted. Too bad about the smack thing of his. Italian power at it's finest. Matarrazo ran a close second, some good shots of him also. Good Luck.
F

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 01:18:27 AM »
Well my strong areas are my shoulders and back, but I managed to get a workout for Bi's Tri's Shoulders Abs and it went quite well, I did about 6 sets per bodypart, counting 1-2 static holds per bodypart.

With the 'feeling' of this training do you seem to actually reach muscular failure? I hope not because I was nowhere near a level of exhaustion when I was walking out of the gym, probably something to do with the overall exercise time though :P

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 07:02:40 AM »
havent heard anything good about, i have read people giving it a try only to find out when they returned to regular training theyve became weaker. for me personally it's too much calculating involved and seems to put one in risk of injuries.
Z

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 07:53:13 AM »
With Power Factor it would be wise to include a set or two of regular benches (for example) at the end of a workout.  You still want to train the complete motor unit/muscle fibers of any exercised  muscle. If just training on partial/lockouts you will lose a lot in performance with the overall lift. That PF book does not suggest that. Wonder way, only logical.

Bluto may have to stiffen his loins, gather courage and actually try something new. Rather than depending on what he heard. or might have heard, somewhere or some place. Than he can report to all of us after a couple of months of his results. Than I would vote for him as Mod of the year. Good Luck.
F

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 07:55:34 AM »
With Power Factor it would be wise to include a set or two of regular benches (for example) at the end of a workout.  You still want to train the complete motor unit/muscle fibers of any exercised  muscle. If just training on partial/lockouts you will lose a lot in performance with the overall lift. That PF book does not suggest that. Wonder way, only logical.

Bluto may have to stiffen his loins, gather courage and actually try something new. Rather than depending on what he heard. or might have heard, somewhere or some place. Than he can report to all of us after a couple of months of his results. Than I would vote for him as Mod of the year. Good Luck.
i have a challenge for you "jpm", post one picture of yourself and i'll log off getbig for 3 months, what do you say?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 09:02:56 AM »
SF: It's more enjoyable watching you make a utter fool of yourself. You own self-owning is classic stupid, though you do not even understand that. The more you post, the more you give yourself away as a a poser. And which of the many accounts would you log off on for 90 days? One, two, three, four, five or the rest them? Come on, your an internet junkie...you need this you like a druggie needs a dime bag. This is all the total meaning of your so-called life. Admit it now.

Just post me  if you want a complete training setup. I can almost guarantee a gain of pure muscle mass of 20 lbs, with a much needed reduction of ugly fat, with-in three months. And an increase of 10-20% in strength. Making you the most powerful guy in your mothers basement. No charge, all free for you.  OH, never mind...your do not have the time for workouts. Takes you away from the internet. Fa'afetai & Good Luck.
F

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 09:04:49 AM »
SF: It's more enjoyable watching you make a utter fool of yourself. You own self-owning is classic stupid, though you do not even understand that. The more you post, the more you give yourself away as a a poser. And which of the many accounts would you log off on for 90 days? One, two, three, four, five or the rest them? Come on, your an internet junkie...you need this you like a druggie needs a dime bag. This is all the total meaning of your so-called life. Admit it now.

Just post me  if you want a complete training setup. I can almost guarantee a gain of pure muscle mass of 20 lbs, with a much needed reduction of ugly fat, with-in three months. And an increase of 10-20% in strength. Making you the most powerful guy in your mothers basement. No charge, all free for you.  OH, never mind...your do not have the time for workouts. Takes you away from the internet. Fa'afetai & Good Luck.
i'll tell you what, post a picture of yourself and if you're as huge and muscular as you come off i'll take all the advice you want to give, come on princess, i dare ya. :D

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 09:40:52 AM »
IMO some of you guys overthink stuff way too much. I'm not a genetic freak or guru but workout, rest, eat good food, repeat and you'll grow.