Author Topic: Obama to raise Capital Gains taxes on investments  (Read 3027 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Obama to raise Capital Gains taxes on investments
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 08:17:07 PM »
The Earned Income Tax Credit is a stupid move by Bush.

If you give a hungry man a loaf of bread to eat today he'll still be hungry tomorrow.

Did Bush increase the EIC?  I know Clinton did.  I actually don't have a problem with it, because it does help people who are actually working.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 08:33:37 PM »
The Earned Income Tax Credit is a stupid move by Bush.

If you give a hungry man a loaf of bread to eat today he'll still be hungry tomorrow.

That's why Jesus really didn't feed 5000 people fish.  He just gave them all fishing poles.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2008, 08:36:21 PM »

You know who enacted a law to cap welfare to 2 yrs??   Until then people were living off welfare for years upon years with no trouble.     It was Bill clinton in the 90's!!    I remember low lifes being so pissed off about that!!      A democrat tried to fix the system.   Repubs have done nothing like this as far as i know.

Actually, War-Horse, I think it was Tommy Thompson from Wisconsin that came up with that plan. It was Clinton that took a Republican idea and made it his own. I believe I recall Dick Morris talking to one of the talking heads on Fox News about this.

Brilliant move on Clinton's part and I really don't care who came up with the idea.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 08:39:07 PM »
Did Bush increase the EIC?  I know Clinton did.  I actually don't have a problem with it, because it does help people who are actually working. 

I think there was an article either in the Wall Street Journal or National Review Online about this.

Something about a similar action being done around 1975 and it didn't do much to stimulate the economy. At least not in the way they hoped for.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 08:45:25 PM »
I think there was an article either in the Wall Street Journal or National Review Online about this.

Something about a similar action being done around 1975 and it didn't do much to stimulate the economy. At least not in the way they hoped for.

Is the EIC designed to stimulate the economy?  I don't really view it as a tax credit/cut so much as an attempt to help working families at the lower end of the scale.   

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 09:10:34 PM »
Is the EIC designed to stimulate the economy?  I don't really view it as a tax credit/cut so much as an attempt to help working families at the lower end of the scale.   

It was an "emergency" stimulus package pushed by Bush and altered by that numbnuts Reid in the Senate.

Funny thing is a recent news report came out stating that people are NOT going to go shopping with it.

They plan to either pay off bills with it or put it in savings.

The rest of the money will end up in Mexico and South America.

BTW, it cost the IRS 42 MILLION dollars to send out letters notifying you that you will or will not get a check. I didn't get one. I make too much money (whatever the fvck that means).

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2008, 09:17:43 PM »
Funny thing is a recent news report came out stating that people are NOT going to go shopping with it.
They plan to either pay off bills with it or put it in savings.

If they pay off bills, then that $300 is given to companies with accounts payable, and they have new income.

If they save it, a bank now has new working capital to explore new opportunities.

If you do anything but mattress it, you're stimulating the economy.  If that $ is being spent in any way, it's boosting our GDP.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2008, 09:20:28 PM »
If they pay off bills, then that $300 is given to companies with accounts payable, and they have new income.

If they save it, a bank now has new working capital to explore new opportunities.

If you do anything but mattress it, you're stimulating the economy.  If that $ is being spent in any way, it's boosting our GDP.

I believe the hope was that the money ended up in stores so Americans could buy more shit they don't need.

Personally, I think it'll go to McDonalds, booze, cigarettes, and lottery tickets.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2008, 09:22:26 PM »
I believe the hope was that the money ended up in stores so Americans could buy more shit they don't need.

Personally, I think it'll go to McDonalds, booze, cigarettes, and lottery tickets.

LOL... IMO they'd be most happy if people threw it into the stock market so they coudl bail out a few more firms, get your $30 stock down to $2 so you sell it, then balloon it back up and get rich off your dime.

Most people will buy themselves something nice for summer and use the rest as 'kicking around' money.  300 isn't a lot of money, just a little something to spend.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2008, 10:30:17 PM »
Your right Bindare, many retired workers live off their dividends and investments. We should now penalyze them and people who are taking risks investing in new companies...how in the hell is this fair or make sense? 

It is innaccurate. Obama infact proposes NO taxes for retirees making less than $50K /yr, and he has announced he plan to implement incentives for those investing in new companies and new technologies that will push the country forward.
w

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 06:05:45 AM »
Thats taxes on income jag.  Capital gains and dividend taxes apply to all now and I can't see that changing, except being raised as Obama has stated.  Incentives to invest are already there...low taxes!  The more new companies that are formed, the more new revenue sources for the gov and the more jobs.  In the discussions in the past week, most analysts have criticized Obama's ideas markets and business.  New technologies are a different category, that he may do, but it has nothing to do with stocks & other investments.

To quote Beach's post:

It’s true that lower tax rates have been a huge boon to shareholders—but most of them are not rich. The latest polls show that 52 percent of Americans own stock and thus benefit directly from lower capital gains and dividend taxes. Reduced tax rates on dividends also triggered a huge jump in the number of companies paying out dividends. As the National Bureau of Economic Research put it, “The surge in regular dividend payments after the 2003 reform is unprecedented in recent years.” Dividend income is up nearly 50 percent since the 2003 tax cut.

The same phenomenon occurred with the capital gains tax, which is essentially a voluntary tax because asset owners can avoid it by simply holding onto their stock, home, or business. This “lock-in” effect, as it is called, can be economically inefficient, since owners have a tax incentive to keep poor investments, rather than drawing out the cash and putting it into assets that are more productive. When the capital gains tax is cut, people unlock their assets and reinvest in other enterprises.

The 1997 tax reform, passed under President Clinton, reduced the capital gains tax rate from 28 percent to 20 percent, and taxable capital gains nearly doubled over the next three years. The 2003 reform brought the rate down to 15 percent, and between 2002 and 2005 there was a 154 percent increase in capital gains reported as income.

This explosion in realized gains cannot be explained only by the rise in the stock market, which averaged just 13 percent annually between 2003 and 2005. Capital gains tax receipts also far outpaced the revenues that the government’s static models predicted. Between 2003 and 2007, actual tax receipts exceeded expectations by $207 billion.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2008, 06:12:23 AM »
The worlds next superpower China:

Flat 10% of capital gains taxed with traded equities being exempt

World's next upcoming economic superpower India:

India
Equities held for at least one year have no capital gains taxes. However short term capital gain from equities held for less than one year, is taxed at 15% (Increased from 10% to 15% after Budget 2008-09) This is applicable only for transactions that attract Securities Transaction Tax (STT).

Interesting that both have a low capital gains tax policy and their economies are booming.  Low capital gains provide incentives to investing and new business.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2008, 06:22:21 AM »

Interesting that both have a low capital gains tax policy and their economies are booming.  Low capital gains provide incentives to investing and new business.

Their countries do not have economic policies presided over by GWB. Yours does.
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2008, 12:56:20 PM »
Can anyone find where Obama details the capital gains tax increase?

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2008, 01:33:11 PM »
Their countries do not have economic policies presided over by GWB. Yours does.

BOOOOMMMMM!!!!      8)   Amen Girl.    The new capitialist countries are china and india...making huge bank, while our system takes a dive in the shitter.

This is all intentional...anyone could see it.  Or else the think tanks would do something about it..

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2008, 03:02:05 PM »
In an interview this week Obama is quoted as saying he favors raising the capital gains tax from its current rate of 15% to 25%.   :o
This is a huge increase and another example of his idea of funding a larger government, impeding free markets, penalyzing investors and company owners (large and small) and redistribution of wealth.  This is a very important quote that did not get enough attention in the last 2 days.

For those not familiar with Capital Gains Tax:  This is a tax charged on capital gains, the profit realized on the sale of a non-inventory assets. The most common capital gains are realized from the sale of stocks, bonds, precious metals and property. Not all countries implement a capital gains tax and most have different rates of taxation for individuals and corporations.

As long as we can get an equivalent savings on capital LOSSES, it's fine to move from 15% to 18-20%. 

Actually, though, decreasing the size of the federal government as per my plan would eventually cut everyone's tax rate by about one-half. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2008, 07:52:12 AM »
Jag, unfortunately your right.  GWB did not help our economic situation...as capital gains & dividend taxes are only 1 small part of the overall economy.

Tre, absolutely.  Wise man.  We are in complete agreement.  The gov was never supposed to be this big or spend (and borrow) this much.  Thats why I voted for Ron Paul in the primary.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2008, 01:51:14 PM »
In an interview this week Obama is quoted as saying he favors raising the capital gains tax from its current rate of 15% to 25%. 

For those not familiar with Capital Gains Tax:  This is a tax charged on capital gains,

the market needs to go HIGHER for most to realize a capital gain. the bush/republican recession is causing americans to lose their CAPITAL.  ::)

for those not familiar with Capital: this is the money you have saved in your 401k....which is being depleted daily as the market heads lower !

NT

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2008, 04:43:41 PM »

the market needs to go HIGHER for most to realize a capital gain. the bush/republican recession is causing americans to lose their CAPITAL.  ::)

for those not familiar with Capital: this is the money you have saved in your 401k....which is being depleted daily as the market heads lower !

NT

Sad but true.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2008, 01:50:06 AM »
Can anyone find where Obama details the capital gains tax increase?

I heard him talk about it on 'The View' within the past week.  All the other hosts looked at Barbara as if she's the only one who needed to be concerned. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2008, 03:35:23 PM »
I heard him talk about it on 'The View' within the past week.  All the other hosts looked at Barbara as if she's the only one who needed to be concerned. 

It's the details that are important here.  Is there a income level that gets the penalty?  Example if i'm making under 100K will i still get the capital gains tax increase on my investments?