Author Topic: age 18, deadlift 405 for 5 reps. now 19, cant deadlift 405.  (Read 1374 times)

nodeal

• Getbig III
age 18, deadlift 405 for 5 reps. now 19, cant deadlift 405.
« on: March 30, 2008, 10:34:21 PM »
at the peak of my deadlift i was doing 405 for 5 reps. i made a rapid increase from 385 to 405 in about a month. a month or so past the workout that i did 405 for 5 reps, i tried doing deadlifts again and it just wasnt happening. matter of fact, i hurt my lower back(not serious), but i was kind of tender down there for about a week. anyway, took a little break from deadlifts and started in again and i am nowhere near the strength i used to be when i was pulling up 405 pounds.

how is it that with continuous training, a lift can decrease so dramatically, assuming that everything else is constant(diet, health in general, etc.).

ive had this problem with other lifts too, but not to the extent that i have with deadlifts. however, after making progress in weight with a particular exercise, i will come back to that exercise a couple weeks later(or even in some cases just a week later) to find that i have decreased in weight(basically gotten weaker).

anyone else experience these periods of "strength regression"? any advice?

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: age 18, deadlift 405 for 5 reps. now 19, cant deadlift 405.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 10:45:01 PM »
u took a month's break from a lift... ofcourse you're gonna be weaker at it. You haven't really "lost" any strength, just that your body needs some time to readjust to doing the movement after u stopped doing it.

follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »
advice is.. don't expect to be in peak strength form all the time. Periodise/cycle your workouts.
follow the arrows

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:04:08 PM »
at the peak of my deadlift i was doing 405 for 5 reps. i made a rapid increase from 385 to 405 in about a month. a month or so past the workout that i did 405 for 5 reps, i tried doing deadlifts again and it just wasnt happening. matter of fact, i hurt my lower back(not serious), but i was kind of tender down there for about a week. anyway, took a little break from deadlifts and started in again and i am nowhere near the strength i used to be when i was pulling up 405 pounds.

how is it that with continuous training, a lift can decrease so dramatically, assuming that everything else is constant(diet, health in general, etc.).

ive had this problem with other lifts too, but not to the extent that i have with deadlifts. however, after making progress in weight with a particular exercise, i will come back to that exercise a couple weeks later(or even in some cases just a week later) to find that i have decreased in weight(basically gotten weaker).

you'll be back to 405 x5 in 5 or 6 weeks if you want it

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 01:00:32 PM »

I've been like that pretty much all my training life, especially with the big compound movements like deadlift, squat, and presses. You've just got to keep plugging away and being behind is part of the challenge and therefore part of the enjoyment. You've just got to forget about the numbers sometimes and just enjoy yourself - your lifts will take care of themselves if you just get on with it and keep it consistent.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 10:02:55 PM »
yeah decreasing in strength really has been pretty consistent with compound movements and im used to it by now. i just wanted to know if u guys had any light to shed on it, glad im not the only one out there who continuously works out and loses strength. it sucks to walk into the gym one day and just not be able to pull off the same lifts as the week before. u really do need to forget about numbers and just go give it all you got.