Author Topic: How do you tell a Staff Member: YOU STINK!!!!!  (Read 2168 times)

Stark

• Getbig V
How do you tell a Staff Member: YOU STINK!!!!!
« on: April 01, 2008, 08:57:21 AM »
Alright, I have this one guy who is obviously not to hygenic, every time I need to go over him because I need some numbers or stats I have to hold my air for 30min.
He's reporting to my team leader who in return is reporting to me but is out on holidays, I have the feeling to get this sorted right now.

I have no problem to tell him personal to wash himself, but just for the fun of it: How would you guys do that? What would you guys say?

davidpaul

• Getbig V
Re: How do you tell a Staff Member: YOU STINK!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 08:58:38 AM »
How much does he benchpress?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 08:59:03 AM »
"Does it smell like shit in here, or is it just you? Or walk up to him with a clothes pin on your nose. 

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 08:59:26 AM »
How much does he benchpress?

Geek - skinny - I think he's still using the blue dumbells.

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
  • go west young man.......break bread in the new lan
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 08:59:32 AM »
Alright, I have this one guy who is obviously not to hygenic, every time I need to go over him because I need some numbers or stats I have to hold my air for 30min.
He's reporting to my team leader who in return is reporting to me but is out on holidays, I have the feeling to get this sorted right now.

I have no problem to tell him personal to wash himself, but just for the fun of it: How would you guys do that? What would you guys say?
do you have an available balcony?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 09:01:59 AM »

translation=the guy makes more money than you and you hate him.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 09:07:08 AM »
translation=the guy makes more money than you and you hate him.

Dave I was asking for people that have actuall knowlage in Frontline Managment ;) and btw how would he make more money than I do if he reports to my team leader who in return reports to me?  ???

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 09:31:59 AM »
Alright... seriously then Stark  ::)

The way that will minimize his embarrasment and resentment, and maybe even appreciate you is to tell him in private that you used to have the same problem, then suggest a solution.

This works for all sorts of issues.  Getting hotheads to keep their cool, people who are frequently late or unprepared, guys who flirt or fuck the girls at work inappropriately, etc.  Admitting to having had the same problem (whether its true or not) will take the sting out of it for them.  The downside is the guy might latch onto you so don't be too soft.

I don't want you to be embarrased about having to ask for management advice on Getbig Stark.  In fact, I used to be a bad manager myself.  That's why I wanted to talk to you about this.  I know you're going to do better now.   ;D

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 09:42:34 AM »
great thread
Z

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 09:48:33 AM »
There's a certain way to do it. HR said you have to tell him you personally notice it. Not anybody else. It's really awkward. I've done it like 3 times.
$

Monster81

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 10:00:31 AM »

i ve been through this before,,,so i created a gimmick email account and sent him a message complaining about how he stinks and howmuch his breath stinks which was even worst,,,

btw,,is he indian ?

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 10:19:15 AM »
Alright... seriously then Stark  ::)

The way that will minimize his embarrasment and resentment, and maybe even appreciate you is to tell him in private that you used to have the same problem, then suggest a solution.

This works for all sorts of issues.  Getting hotheads to keep their cool, people who are frequently late or unprepared, guys who flirt or fuck the girls at work inappropriately, etc.  Admitting to having had the same problem (whether its true or not) will take the sting out of it for them.  The downside is the guy might latch onto you so don't be too soft.

I don't want you to be embarrased about having to ask for management advice on Getbig Stark.  In fact, I used to be a bad manager myself.  That's why I wanted to talk to you about this.  I know you're going to do better now.   ;D

hahah great advice ::) and trust me brother I'm very good at my current position ;) If you read my thread carefully you would have seen that I said i know already what I will say but for the laugh I ask you guys ;)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 10:20:29 AM »
leave  a bar of soap and a can of Axe spray on his desk when he's not around.  Hopefully he gets the hint.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 10:21:42 AM »
There's a certain way to do it. HR said you have to tell him you personally notice it. Not anybody else. It's really awkward. I've done it like 3 times.

I know, it is awkward, you are talking about something very privat and something that is very embaressing for the other party.
If had to do it once before and I believe it's just best to call a meeting and to be honest with the person.

But it's fun to play with ideas ;) and maybe just maybe we have a "super" manager here who has the "super" answer ;)
I mean with all the 250.000k earners there must be somebody with a good knowlage of people managing here ;D

Smokincrazy

• Getbig IV
  • owned,meltdown,epic......
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 10:22:17 AM »
Stark do your coworkers like you or are you hated at work like you are on Getbig?

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 10:22:58 AM »
leave  a bar of soap and a can of Axe spray on his desk when he's not around.  Hopefully he gets the hint.

hahaha thats the first thing most people say, but I believe this to be
a) More embaressing (since other people will see it)
b) Not honest (Remember a good leader should always deliver bad news himself ;) )

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 10:23:50 AM »
you told him yet?

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 10:24:19 AM »
Stark do your coworkers like you or are you hated at work like you are on Getbig?

I know you hate me and I have no idea why but I grace you with an responds...

If I believe all the feedback I get from a lot of people I am a very good people manager ;)
Now believe it or not I don't care one way or the other, but I say most people here do not act like in real life ;)

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 10:24:57 AM »
nothing smells better than the intoxicating aroma of b.o. and axe body spray. The scent of mexicans everywhere.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 10:25:37 AM »
you should read the general board more  ;)

Smokincrazy

• Getbig IV
  • owned,meltdown,epic......
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 10:27:50 AM »
I know you hate me and I have no idea why but I grace you with an responds...

If I believe all the feedback I get from a lot of people I am a very good people manager ;)
Now believe it or not I don't care one way or the other, but I say most people here do not act like in real life ;)
Stark I dont hate you.  You have your days like everyone else.  I'm usually just busting on you with no bad intentions

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
Stark I dont hate you.  You have your days like everyone else.  I'm usually just busting on you with no bad intentions

It's alright mate ;) I truly hate nobody here as well and I know that I can sometimes be an anoying asshole ;)

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 10:33:10 AM »
Just tell him that he stinks!!

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
  • go west young man.......break bread in the new lan
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 10:38:23 AM »
hahaha .........axe body spray keep using that shit and you're gonna be very lonely.......the sweet scent of walmart.........lmfao

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 11:45:19 AM »
hahaha .........axe body spray keep using that shit and you're gonna be very lonely.......the sweet scent of walmart.........lmfao

It makes it even worse, it's like you come close to the person and you think it's alright (hey he smells....o.k) but than when you
least expected it... that STINK kicks in and you feel twice as bad.