Author Topic: Would you spend WIC checks/food stamps if you could?  (Read 10190 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Would you spend WIC checks/food stamps if you could?
« on: April 05, 2008, 12:39:50 PM »
When I was a scrub kid with low iron, we used to get WIC, which delivered Kix cereal and milk and eggs and rice to our door 3 times a week.  Later, as an older scrub kid, we received food stamps, these little fake dollars that you can use to buy anything at the store except beer or tobacco.  The cashier would often snicker at my spending charity bucks (although it's odd - she was likely below poverty level too, making $4.25 per hour back then.

Now that I'm older, and no longer swimming in the poverty canal, I no longer am able to receive hundreds of dollars each month in freebies from uncle sam to feed me belly.

So the question is, if you were given $400 to $800 in free food each month, would you, as a bodybuilder who needs those nutrients, spend it?  Or would your pride prevent you from using food stamps?

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
Re: Would you spend WIC checks/food stamps if you could?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 12:49:37 PM »
pride prevent you from using food stamps, fuck no
TEAM Nasser

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 01:08:06 PM »
I wouldn't accept food stamps.. It would be embarassing. Like those mexicans in the supermarkets with their cards. I'd feel very guilty too.

If you're talking about free money, then the only thing I would accept is money for school off of the tax payer tab.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
I also grew up on ADC.   Ahhh, memories of powdered eggs and canned peanut butter.  And cheese.  Lots of cheese.

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »
I also grew up on ADC.   Ahhh, memories of powdered eggs and canned peanut butter.  And cheese.  Lots of cheese.

I did as well, fucking nothing beat the canned beef they sent every once in awhile, if I could get my hands on that shit today I would stock pile it like there's no tomorrow.  Delicious!!!!!!

BIG DUB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 01:52:53 PM »
When I was a scrub kid with low iron, we used to get WIC, which delivered Kix cereal and milk and eggs and rice to our door 3 times a week.  Later, as an older scrub kid, we received food stamps, these little fake dollars that you can use to buy anything at the store except beer or tobacco.  The cashier would often snicker at my spending charity bucks (although it's odd - she was likely below poverty level too, making $4.25 per hour back then.

Now that I'm older, and no longer swimming in the poverty canal, I no longer am able to receive hundreds of dollars each month in freebies from uncle sam to feed me belly.

So the question is, if you were given $400 to $800 in free food each month, would you, as a bodybuilder who needs those nutrients, spend it?  Or would your pride prevent you from using food stamps?

I'd spend the hell out of em'. I look at it this way..The gov. pillages my paycheck every 2 weeks to put money into that program. I may as well benefit from it too....

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 02:00:41 PM »
First off- they are NO LONGER FOOD STAMPS, theyare debit cards.

They are electronic debit cards, and look identical to a Visa or Mastercard, so no one is going to know you use them.

Second- this is what we pay fucking taxes for, to help out those that need it in time of crisis.

Third-I would live off those fuckers if I was out of work and had no fucking food, that is what it is there for.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 02:03:19 PM »
When my daughter was born we were able to qualify for getting WIC. I only got the formula with it. The other stuff I couldn't bring myself to use. Formula btw is a fucking RIP OFF
$

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 02:07:10 PM »

They are electronic debit cards, and look identical to a Visa or Mastercard, so no one is going to know you use them.

Second- this is what we pay fucking taxes for, to help out those that need it in time of crisis.

Third-I would live off those fuckers if I was out of work and had no fucking food, that is what it is there for.

true, good post

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 02:11:35 PM »
can't forget the multi talented wonder that was government cheese, that shit made the best grilled cheese sandwiches hands down, also, it was pretty good as a weapon too, hit someone upside the head with a block of gov'ment cheese and it's lights out baby!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »
I'd spend the hell out of em'. I look at it this way..The gov. pillages my paycheck every 2 weeks to put money into that program. I may as well benefit from it too....

LOL I agree.  I don't qualify for WIC.  I was a little bummed.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 02:50:19 PM »

Back in the day, there were people who worked hard to 'get off food stamps', because it was embarrassing to use them at the store.

I'll admit that I always felt for the kids on free or reduced lunch who had to carry a special tag through the lunch line each day. 

But then, believe it or not, some of those same kids would tease others who did not 'dress' as well as they did.  I always thought it was bullshit when these jackasses would boast about how much their shoes cost when they were sittin' up there on free lunch while other kids - the ones whose parents worked and paid taxes - had to make do on a pair of 18-dollar zips.

slayer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 03:02:31 PM »
dude,
 every supermarket in my area has self checkout, are you kidding me with this question?

half the people on food stamps probally have a better income then most of the people posting on this message board, they just know how to use the system!

Bast175

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 03:08:02 PM »

true, good post

Not true. False. We do not pay taxes to soley dedicate it to welfare. That is a Republican shitbrained myth.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 03:09:44 PM »
KangaRoos were the coolest shoes ever.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »
Not true. False. We do not pay taxes to soley dedicate it to welfare. That is a Republican shitbrained myth.

Never said we did, and we dont.

Welfare is a safety net, the vast majority of the people do not abuse it.

Bast175

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 03:18:13 PM »
Never said we did, and we dont.

Welfare is a safety net, the vast majority of the people do not abuse it.
Indeed

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 03:18:20 PM »
We rock the WIC at my house.  Unfortunately, Im the only getbigger that actuallly works for a living  :P and has a hard time with bills sometimes.  If it wernt for WIC I would be one of those poor guys with foreclosure signs in the yard.  Also, in all honesty, I feel that it is about the only govt "handout" (for lack of a better word) program that isnt and hasnt been totally raped by the lazy/unwilling people like sec 8 housing, welfare and actual foodstamps have been.  Speaking of foodstamps, I was behind a woman at the grocery the other day with TWO CARTS of food and she payed for all of it with foodstamps...however, the foodstamps wouldnt pay for her cosmo magazine so she pulls a HUGE (nearly beer can size...swear) roll of cash out of her pocket, peels off 60 or so bills to get to the twenties and pays for the mag.  If it would have been a man I might have hit him I was so incensed.

Jason

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 10:59:47 PM »
half the people on food stamps probally have a better income then most of the people posting on this message board, they just know how to use the system!

full of shit as usual, retardo.  try listening, thinking and learning for a change.

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 11:08:09 PM »

i grew-up poor, too.  i can sympathize.  :'(

nah, i'd swallow my pride along with the grub.  :)

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 11:14:01 PM »

Interesting thread. Didn't know there was such a thing as WIC.  Sounds like a good program. 

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 11:27:46 PM »
If i couldn't find a job, yes of course. but pride is a guy. As a man, using food stamps probably makes you feel low. I once saw a guy that took his wife and kid to the gas station to buy milk, eggs and other shit. It was like 1 in the morning, and he was in a hurry. He paid one of the food stamp cards, the clerk took forever writing each item down. He look really embarrass, i felt a little bad for him.
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 12:11:03 AM »
WIC was great.  If you were poor or had low iron or other issues, they borught you free stuff.

3 times a week, we'd sit in the yard and watch for the WIC truck.  Moms called it the milkman of course.  Be brought 2 crates to the door.  They could leave it outside if you weren't home - it was Ohio and it was cold. 

We'd get cheese, juice, milk, KIX cereal, etc.  Terrific program when it's used by those with true need.  Sad to see the abuses that go on though.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 12:33:51 AM »
  Sad to see the abuses that go on though.
My dad using to work at the post office, every month he would see people from mexico come across just to get their welfare checks!!! >:(
A

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 10:29:35 AM »
I would use wic or food stamps in a heartbeat.

I hear advertisments on the radio in the NY/NJ area that if you are in a certain income bracket, even with a job, car, etc you can qualify for food stamps.
Sandra