Author Topic: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29 (RESULTS/VIDS p. 11)  (Read 47360 times)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2008, 09:48:15 AM »
This kind of stuff happens to me when I stick to the powerlifts only. Heavy bench really limits my range of motion on anything involving shoulders.

It really hurts, and I am pissed about it.  Scratching my back...wtf!   >:(
I haven't even lifted anything upper body in 5 days, and I was really looking forward to benching tonight.  Now I am not sure what I am going to do tonight.  I just took some motrin and am icing it, hoping it'll feel better in a few hours.
:)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2008, 10:30:36 AM »

It really hurts, and I am pissed about it.  Scratching my back...wtf!   >:(
I haven't even lifted anything upper body in 5 days, and I was really looking forward to benching tonight.  Now I am not sure what I am going to do tonight.  I just took some motrin and am icing it, hoping it'll feel better in a few hours.

Rotator work always helps me too. 2.5 lbs in all directions the shoulder moves. Ask Nash about the benefits of rotator therapy!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2008, 12:19:13 PM »
This kind of stuff happens to me when I stick to the powerlifts only. Heavy bench really limits my range of motion on anything involving shoulders.

one BIG reason to do cuff stretches and exercises. also olympic lifts like overhead squats will do wonders for shoulder flexibility.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2008, 01:01:37 PM »
one BIG reason to do cuff stretches and exercises. also olympic lifts like overhead squats will do wonders for shoulder flexibility.

I cant do an overhead squat! >:(

My massive delts aint havin' that. ;D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2008, 04:34:23 AM »
I've been trying to do rotator cuff stuff every week with my lighter bench workout, but I missed the last two weeks when I got the shirt on.  I agree that it helps. 

My shoulder was too tweeked to bench last night.  I wasn't gonna be stupid about it.  So instead, I did my two favorite things - a second cardio session - 30 minutes - and also 30 minutes of ab work.

45 minutes of cardio this morning.  I'm gonna try to DL tonight and see how it feels.  I hate it when you injure yourself doing stupid shit.   :P

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2008, 09:46:57 AM »
I hate it when you injure yourself doing stupid shit.   :P

I never broke a bone in my life until I was walking down the stairs (in the dark) and missed one. Rolled my ankle and broke my foot on the next step.  :(

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2008, 10:17:39 AM »

yeah man after my bench press accident years ago.. I've done them both before and after all benching session and it feels SOOOOOOOOOO much better.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2008, 10:36:13 AM »
I never broke a bone in my life until I was walking down the stairs (in the dark) and missed one. Rolled my ankle and broke my foot on the next step.  :(

:o OUCH!

yeah man after my bench press accident years ago.. I've done them both before and after all benching session and it feels SOOOOOOOOOO much better.

Bench press accident?   ???

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2008, 10:40:49 AM »
ripitup, are you drinking enough fluid? do you think you stretched a dried muscle?
sept 10th APF

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2008, 10:47:26 AM »
ripitup, are you drinking enough fluid? do you think you stretched a dried muscle?

I hope I am drinking enough water.  It's hard to say with the diet and cardio that I am doing, but I'm usually good for around a gallon a day. 

It feels more like a ligament/tendon than a muscle strain.  It hurts pretty much the same as it hurt when I strained it after the bench meet in March.  It feels "OK" when my arm is down and in front of me, so I am hoping to be able to deadlift.  It hurts when I lift my arm above my head.  And it hurts when I turn the steering wheel in my car with my left arm.  ::)

I'm leaving it alone for the rest of the week, although I obviously cannot stop training.  I may try to get some rotator cuff work in later this week.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: May 21, 2008, 07:56:58 PM »
I got into the gym this afternoon for a heavy deadlift workout, and much to my own surprise, I was feeling pretty damn good! 

Good news... my shoulder doesn't hurt when I deadlift.  It bothered me when I was sliding plates on and off the barbell, but not when I was actually doing the DLs.  I am SO thankful that I had a good workout because I was a bit discouraged at how crappy I was feeling for the last few days.  I needed a good workout.

DEADS
warmup - bar x 15, 95 x 12, 135 x 6
165 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
230 x 5  8)
235 x 3
185 x 5/2 sets
165 x 5/4 sets
Everything after 235 x 3 felt easy!

RACK DEADS
This time, I went about 1 inch ABOVE my knee, and what a difference that makes!! 
275 x 3 - too easy!
300 x 3  :o
300 x 3  I had to do it again just cuz I couldn't believe I did it the first time.  ;D

SUMOS
175 x 3/3 sets for practice

I finished off with two sets of DB rows (50 pounds x 10) which did bother my shoulder a little bit, and then three sets of weight-assisted wide grip chins x 10.

OH, and then a second cardio session - 30 minutes on the stair stepper - just cuz I was feeling good. 

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2008, 06:08:51 PM »
50 mins AM cardio yesterday, no lifting

45 mins AM cardio this morning.
Tonight I did a bicep workout, about 12 sets, which will hurt tomorrow.  I'm starting to get paranoid about my biceps.  Either they have gotten smaller or everything else has gotten bigger. ;D 
I tried to take it easy on the joints.  Also I did a bunch of pinch grip work with plates.  And another 30 mins of cardio. 

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2008, 08:33:05 PM »
HAHAHA..

told your scrawny ass could pull in the 300s! bet you can get it off the floor if you believed you could. ;)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2008, 05:53:22 PM »
HAHAHA..
told your scrawny ass could pull in the 300s! bet you can get it off the floor if you believed you could. ;)

LOL big difference between the floor and my knees!  We'll see......  :)

50 mins AM cardio.  I went to the gym this afternoon intending to squat, but my legs were too tired.  I did a warmup set, and I was all over the place.  So I did some light shoulder work instead, lots of rotator work.  My shoulder isn't 100% yet but it is feeling better.  Gonna give the squats a go tomorrow.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2008, 05:28:50 PM »
50 mins AM cardio this morning.  I sucked it up and did a heavy squat workout tonight.  Unfortunately, I had to train alone, which was a bummer. 

SQUATS
Tried to go ass to calves, and I used my belt on this workout for all sets after my warmup.  No spotter on any of them!
warmup - barx15, 95x12, 135x7
165 x 5
185 x 5
195 x 5
205 x 4 - I was planning on 5, but the fourth one was horrible...it was a total good morning squat, I fell so far forward and barely pulled it off, and I was seeing stars when I got myself up.
205 x 3 - I couldn't finish the heavy work with that last set, so I managed to get this but it was really a struggle.
155 x 5/5 sets
135 x 5/2 sets

The good news is that everything after 205 felt easy.  ;D

No negatives because I had no spotter.  I did 4 sets of seated calf raises and another 30 mins of cardio.  They have these awesome bikes with video screens where you run these races and do trails and stuff.  I'm loving them...it's a really mean cardio workout too. 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: May 26, 2008, 03:01:30 PM »
do you normally do negatives on squats? ???

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: May 26, 2008, 04:45:12 PM »
do you normally do negatives on squats? ???

I normally do negs when my heavy squat day comes up in the rotation.  But it came and went yesterday with no negs.  And the same thing a few weeks back.  So it's actually been a while now since I've done them.  And I am close enough to the meet now that they won't be part of my squat training anymore, at least not for the short-term. 

On a side note, my quads are super sore!  I did 50 mins of cardio this morning right when I woke up, and it's a good thing I got it done right away because ever since then, I have been walking around feeling like I am dragging bricks on each of my feet.  No weight training today, and I was way too tired for a second cardio session, which I am still at liberty to opt out of.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2008, 04:35:03 AM »
I did a light bench shirt workout last night.  I figured I'd get the shirt back on and see how the left shoulder is feeling. 
My shoulder was fine, but the shirt beat the shit out of my right arm.  It must have been the way the sleeves were aligned... my husband wasn't liking the way the sleeves were sitting, but we went with it, and by the end of the workout, it felt like I laid my right arm out on the road and let him drive over it with the car.  Its OK today, but slightly sore at the bicep insertion. 

BENCH
warmup - bar x 15, 95 x 12, 135 x 6
Shirt on---
190 x 3 - I loaded the bar before I put the shirt on, and for the first time ever, I totally spaced out and fkd it up.  I had 45/25 on one side, and 45/37.5 on the other side.  So it totalled 197.5 and was totally lopsided.  Neither one of us had checked it before I started, but it was totally leaning left as soon as I started.  My husband kept saying "square it up" and I was like wtf is going on? ;D
190 x 3 - the right weight!
200 x 3
215 x 3
195 x 3
None of the reps touched my chest, but they were all decent, at least half way down or more.  I was gonna do at least one more set at 195, but my arms were killing me.

RAW BENCH - 2 BOARD
185 x 3/3 sets

CLOSE GRIPS
135 x 5/3 sets

45 mins AM cardio yesterday and 50 mins this morning.  My legs still hurt from the last squat workout. 

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2008, 10:02:31 AM »
Way to go with all this work, Rip! Dieting and powerlifting are two words not commonly found together.

You are one tough chick! :D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2008, 10:38:37 AM »
Way to go with all this work, Rip! Dieting and powerlifting are two words not commonly found together.

You are one tough chick! :D

Thanks.  I can fully and completely understand why they are not commonly found together.   :P

I mailed in my registration form for USPF Nats today.  I went ahead and registered for all three events... bench, DL, and PL Nationals.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2008, 07:31:59 AM »
190 x 3 - I loaded the bar before I put the shirt on, and for the first time ever, I totally spaced out and fkd it up.  I had 45/25 on one side, and 45/37.5 on the other side.  So it totalled 197.5 and was totally lopsided.  Neither one of us had checked it before I started, but it was totally leaning left as soon as I started.  My husband kept saying "square it up" and I was like wtf is going on? ;D

ahaha, what a coincidence, i did the same on tuesday! :D

so what do you think you're going for on your lifts? got an idea for your openers?

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: May 29, 2008, 06:33:48 PM »
ahaha, what a coincidence, i did the same on tuesday! :D

so what do you think you're going for on your lifts? got an idea for your openers?

LOL I have no idea!   :D  Seriously!  I'm gonna do mostly triples for the last few weeks (and singles with the bench shirt), so I'll get a better idea then of what I might be able to pull off.

Today, I had some flexibility and went to the gym much earlier in the day, shortly after a decent-sized meal that had some carbs in it.  I also skipped cardio this morning and did it after my workout.  I can't do it every day, but it makes a huge difference.

Light deadlift workout today

DEADS
warmup - barx15, 95x12, 135x5
155x5
175x5
195x5
145x5/6sets

SUMOS
165x3/4 sets
Sumos didn't feel so good tonight.

SLDL
105x5/3 sets

Wide Grip Pulls - 5 sets (3 heavy)

60 minutes of stair climbing.  Then, I went home, ate, and went back to the gym with my husband and did a bicep workout, about 10 sets.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2008, 07:53:13 PM »
Rip:

For your shouldertry this :
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?src=quick&contractUrl=1&family=editorial&phrase=bigger%20stronger%20faster#

HIT THE HAMMER CURLS!  Quite possibly the best thing to stave off bicep pain from benching.

Jason

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2008, 04:32:25 AM »
Rip:

For your shouldertry this :
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?src=quick&contractUrl=1&family=editorial&phrase=bigger%20stronger%20faster#

HIT THE HAMMER CURLS!  Quite possibly the best thing to stave off bicep pain from benching.

Jason

Thanks Jason!
When I click on that link, I get a bunch of pics of people who might be celebs or something.  Is that the Bigger Stronger Faster premeire?

Good to know about the hammers...they are my favorite bicep exercise anyway! 

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2008, 06:41:38 AM »
Medfat's lifetime achievements

bench 135 for 3

chinups: 0

girl pushups:  on fingertips (like a softball you're holding) 3

splits:  every summer

tibs and traps:  like Yates baby
X