Author Topic: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29 (RESULTS/VIDS p. 11)  (Read 47118 times)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29
« Reply #250 on: June 25, 2008, 06:42:58 AM »
How much weight do you need to lose?

I have a few tricks...

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #251 on: June 25, 2008, 07:18:05 AM »
How much weight do you need to lose?

I have a few tricks...

8)

I'm soooooo close.  I need to weigh in Friday morning under 132.  I was 133.2 this morning on my scale.  No idea what their scale will read, so it would be nice to have a pound or two cushion.

I don't want to have to do anything drastic to make weight, as my strength is already sapped enough.  I'm planning on drinking nothing but water today and tomorrow (no diet sodas or crystal light), cutting sodium out completely tomorrow, cutting water completely after dinner tomorrow night, taking some dandelion root over the course of the day and before bed, and then going down and weighing at 9 AM totally empty, before I eat or drink anything. 

I'm definitely interested in hearing your tricks, though, as long as they aren't terribly painful and won't compromise my strength.  :)

:)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #252 on: June 25, 2008, 09:12:04 AM »

I'm soooooo close.  I need to weigh in Friday morning under 132.  I was 133.2 this morning on my scale.  No idea what their scale will read, so it would be nice to have a pound or two cushion.

I don't want to have to do anything drastic to make weight, as my strength is already sapped enough.  I'm planning on drinking nothing but water today and tomorrow (no diet sodas or crystal light), cutting sodium out completely tomorrow, cutting water completely after dinner tomorrow night, taking some dandelion root over the course of the day and before bed, and then going down and weighing at 9 AM totally empty, before I eat or drink anything. 

I'm definitely interested in hearing your tricks, though, as long as they aren't terribly painful and won't compromise my strength.  :)

Not eating will destroy your strength!

You are right on schedule!!! don't worry at ALL!

------------------------------------------------

Friday morning don't eat or drink anything...

A few hours before the weigh-in do this...

Buy a big chunk of Ginger(yuka) root, slice it up like a cucumber and place it in an old sock. run the bath as HOT as you can stand with the sock soaking in there. sit in the bath for at least 1 hour and refresh the water with HOT HOT HOT water every time it cools. you will be sweating like CRAZY and it feels like shit but only for a short time.

after an hour, weigh yourself, you should be able to sweat out 5 pounds in 1 hour. :)

after you do this, drink and eat nothing until you weigh in. after the weigh-in, stuff yourself with carbs all you like and get some rest. the next morning you should feel 100%.

I have done this at least 10 times and it always works...never lost strength and hit many PR's in lower weight classes doing this.

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #253 on: June 25, 2008, 09:29:07 AM »
Not eating will destroy your strength!

You are right on schedule!!! don't worry at ALL!

------------------------------------------------

Friday morning don't eat or drink anything...

A few hours before the weigh-in do this...

Buy a big chunk of Ginger(yuka) root, slice it up like a cucumber and place it in an old sock. run the bath as HOT as you can stand with the sock soaking in there. sit in the bath for at least 1 hour and refresh the water with HOT HOT HOT water every time it cools. you will be sweating like CRAZY and it feels like shit but only for a short time.

after an hour, weigh yourself, you should be able to sweat out 5 pounds in 1 hour. :)

after you do this, drink and eat nothing until you weigh in. after the weigh-in, stuff yourself with carbs all you like and get some rest. the next morning you should feel 100%.

I have done this at least 10 times and it always works...never lost strength and hit many PR's in lower weight classes doing this.

8)

haha WOW, that's a new one.  Yuka root, huh!?  I have never heard of that!  I wonder what the yuka does or how it pulls water out of the skin.

One thing I have to consider is that weigh-ins are 9 AM-11AM, and it's a two hour drive for me.  So I am leaving the house around 7 AM to drive down to the weigh-ins, and I am trying to get there as early as I can since I want to eat and drink right afterwards.  I could do this at home the night before... but they aren't going to have a hotel room ready for me until at least noontime, so a hot yuka bath may be out of the question the day of weigh-ins, which is too bad because it actually sounds pretty damn good right about now!

Any other suggestions I could consider?  (I'm tucking this one in the memory bank for making weight at a BB show in the future, as it sounds like a good one, and I may need it in about 9 weeks!  ;D)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #254 on: June 25, 2008, 09:53:21 AM »

haha WOW, that's a new one.  Yuka root, huh!?  I have never heard of that!  I wonder what the yuka does or how it pulls water out of the skin.

One thing I have to consider is that weigh-ins are 9 AM-11AM, and it's a two hour drive for me.  So I am leaving the house around 7 AM to drive down to the weigh-ins, and I am trying to get there as early as I can since I want to eat and drink right afterwards.  I could do this at home the night before... but they aren't going to have a hotel room ready for me until at least noontime, so a hot yuka bath may be out of the question the day of weigh-ins, which is too bad because it actually sounds pretty damn good right about now!

Any other suggestions I could consider?  (I'm tucking this one in the memory bank for making weight at a BB show in the future, as it sounds like a good one, and I may need it in about 9 weeks!  ;D)

I'm not sure how it works, but it makes you sweat buckets...

Hmm...the drive could be an issue. you could do it, take a shower and then drive 2 hours to the weigh in, just don't eat or drink on the way. i've driven over an hour after doing the bath and it wasn't bad.

you have to do the bath right before the weigh in, not the night before because it dehydrates you.

Ryan Kennelly used this method years ago and i copied him! ;D

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: June 25, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »
I'm not sure how it works, but it makes you sweat buckets...

Hmm...the drive could be an issue. you could do it, take a shower and then drive 2 hours to the weigh in, just don't eat or drink on the way. i've driven over an hour after doing the bath and it wasn't bad.

you have to do the bath right before the weigh in, not the night before because it dehydrates you.

Ryan Kennelly used this method years ago and i copied him! ;D

8)

Thanks.  I'm hitting the grocery store tomorrow, so I'll pick some yuka up and maybe give it a go Friday morning early before I head out. 

I don't have any AC in my car, so I can totally picture me doing this hot yuka bath and then just continuing to sweat my ass off for two hours down to the hotel.  At least I will be sure to make weight that way!   ;D

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #256 on: June 25, 2008, 11:53:25 AM »

Thanks.  I'm hitting the grocery store tomorrow, so I'll pick some yuka up and maybe give it a go Friday morning early before I head out. 

I don't have any AC in my car, so I can totally picture me doing this hot yuka bath and then just continuing to sweat my ass off for two hours down to the hotel.  At least I will be sure to make weight that way!   ;D

Good luck Rip!

Yeah, you might be a little sweaty when you get there... ;)

After weigh ins, i prefer a 16oz. steak, mashed taters and some cheese cake...packs on at least 5 pounds.

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #257 on: June 25, 2008, 12:03:13 PM »
Good luck Rip!

After weigh ins, i prefer a 16oz. steak, mashed taters and some cheese cake...packs on at least 5 pounds.

8)

Thanks!  I'm all over it............. minus the cheesecake, unfortunately.   >:(

But you wouldn't believe how excited I am for a steak and potatoes!!!!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #258 on: June 25, 2008, 01:15:45 PM »
Good luck Rip!

8)

when i wrestled, it was anything with a shitball load of sugar. i ate a whole bag of starburst one time. :P

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #259 on: June 25, 2008, 03:17:20 PM »
Honestly RIP, at this point, I'd consider stopping the cardio until the weekend.  Do some stretching, do some yoga or something like that, but considering you've got just a couple of days, it'll give your legs a chance to recover a bit and it shouldn't put you behind for your bodybuilding contest. 

If you are within a pound or two, it shouldn't be that hard to make weight----just do the ginger bath thing or crank the heat in your car on the way there and sweat a bit.  Just be careful if you do that that you don't get carsick and hurl. 

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #260 on: June 26, 2008, 07:31:44 AM »
Honestly RIP, at this point, I'd consider stopping the cardio until the weekend.  Do some stretching, do some yoga or something like that, but considering you've got just a couple of days, it'll give your legs a chance to recover a bit and it shouldn't put you behind for your bodybuilding contest. 

If you are within a pound or two, it shouldn't be that hard to make weight----just do the ginger bath thing or crank the heat in your car on the way there and sweat a bit.  Just be careful if you do that that you don't get carsick and hurl. 

LOL thanks!  I hear ya on the cardio...I'll be chillin' tomorrow for sure. 
132.2 on my scale this morning... nothing like coming in right at the top of the weight class!  I hope their scale reads like mine.  I'll try not to hurl on the way down there.   ;D

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #261 on: June 26, 2008, 09:07:15 PM »

LOL thanks!  I hear ya on the cardio...I'll be chillin' tomorrow for sure. 
132.2 on my scale this morning... nothing like coming in right at the top of the weight class!  I hope their scale reads like mine.  I'll try not to hurl on the way down there.   ;D

I have not been following this thread for a while now and just had time to skim this last page. I have done a few last week weight drops in my day (and by day I mean year and a half). Sounds like you have this down easy but for future reference here are the tips I have picked up. Not sure if this has been said yet but cut salt a week out and drink a LOT of water (Tuesday, 4L, Wednesday 5,Thursday 6, Friday morning 4 and cut it out 16 hours out. If any of you bigger guys want to try this double the volume). Get some sour fruit gum and chew it to get the spit flowing and spit into a water bottle. Lastly lean left on the scale if its a digital, sensors are off center to make room for the rest of the circuit board and there are more on the right. Usually takes off 100g. As a last resort (and I shit you not I have seen this done. I think it is a superstition that someone picked up at worlds one year from the finish team if I remember the story right) Have someone stand on a chair and push down on your head as you exhale. The thought being that after a night of sleeping you have a bunch of heaver gas sitting at the bottom of your lungs that you can get out this way.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #262 on: June 26, 2008, 09:18:06 PM »
Good luck at your meet Lori :)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #263 on: June 27, 2008, 06:19:08 AM »
I have not been following this thread for a while now and just had time to skim this last page. I have done a few last week weight drops in my day (and by day I mean year and a half). Sounds like you have this down easy but for future reference here are the tips I have picked up. Not sure if this has been said yet but cut salt a week out and drink a LOT of water (Tuesday, 4L, Wednesday 5,Thursday 6, Friday morning 4 and cut it out 16 hours out. If any of you bigger guys want to try this double the volume). Get some sour fruit gum and chew it to get the spit flowing and spit into a water bottle. Lastly lean left on the scale if its a digital, sensors are off center to make room for the rest of the circuit board and there are more on the right. Usually takes off 100g. As a last resort (and I shit you not I have seen this done. I think it is a superstition that someone picked up at worlds one year from the finish team if I remember the story right) Have someone stand on a chair and push down on your head as you exhale. The thought being that after a night of sleeping you have a bunch of heaver gas sitting at the bottom of your lungs that you can get out this way.

Are you serious?

Heavier gas?

Do you realize how heavy GAS is? ;D

8)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #264 on: June 27, 2008, 06:20:22 AM »
KICK SOME ASS RIP!!!

I bet she's ready for that steak and taters about now... ;)

8)

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #265 on: June 27, 2008, 02:21:15 PM »
Are you serious?

Heavier gas?

Do you realize how heavy GAS is? ;D

8)

Never said I believed it!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #266 on: June 28, 2008, 05:29:22 PM »
You guys have some great pointers for dropping weight.  I'm tucking all of them in my book of tricks. 
I basically dropped a little water, I didn't have to take the yuka bath although I was fully prepared to do so.  And I weighed in at 129.6!!
I ate a huge steak and potato dinner with a little fat free frozen yogurt afterwards, which pretty much made me sick to my stomach.   ;D

Things went really well today, thanks so much for the support!  You guys helped me a ton along the way.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #267 on: June 28, 2008, 07:33:58 PM »
Ok, so here's how it went -

SQUAT  Judging was super strict!
1.) 95 kg/209 lbs - I did it pretty much just like I did in the gym, way deeper than I needed to, got stuck a little but got it fine.  Got two redlights and didn't even realize it.  I had no idea I missed the lift, so I submitted 242 for my second attempt until someone asked me why I missed my first one, and I was like huh ???  They said I double bounced it at the bottom.  So they let me change my second attempt.
2.) 100 kg/220 lbs - I went up anyway but not as much.  I got this one, but I still got a red light from the head judge, who said that I kind of dropped my chest a little too much or something  ???
3.) 110 kg/242 lbs - three white lights.  It was only the second squat of the day so far to get three white lights.   :o

BENCH
WPF world record attempts get all three commands - start, press, and rack.  Judging was strict, and it was hard!
1.) 102.5 kg/225 lbs - three white lights.  Good Lift.  WPF World Record for the 132 weight class.   8)
2.) 110 kg/242 lbs - this was for the world record again and the USPF National record, so I had all three commands.  I pressed the weight, but I lifted my ass.  No lift.
3.) 110 kg/242 lbs - I pressed the weight, kept my ass down, but stalled it a little and got two red lights for hitching on one side.  No lift.

DEADLIFT
1.) 117.5 kg/259 lbs - Good lift.
2.) 127.5 kg/281 lbs - Good lift.  Head judge said I rolled my shoulders a bit but I don't know if I got any red flags.
3.) 137.5 kg/303 lbs - Good lift. ALL BACK.  Holy shit, I saw the video clip of this lift...as soon as I began to pull, my ass went straight up and I totally lifted the whole thing with my back, it was ridiculous.  I don't recommend deadlifting like that, my back is killing me tonight. 

So I finished off with a 242/226/303 and 771 total.  I'm happy with that, especially considering I am dieting my ass off and did tons of cardio right through the entire prep for this meet.  I am slightly disappointed about the bench because I was really close with those lifts.  The judging was tight, though, and I wasn't really looking for a gift.  Looking at the vids, I dropped my left shoulder ever so slightly.

This was the lightweight day, and there were four women competing total.  I won the women's best overall lifter for the Bench, Deadlift, and Powerlifting Nationals.  One woman pulled more than me by quite a bit, and I was really surprised to get the overall in the deadlift, but she was in the 148 weight class.

I talked to the Titan rep who was at the meet, and he ended up taking my bench shirt with him.  He pulled out a new F6 in the same size as mine, and it's unbelieveable how much that shirt is stretched.  Combine that with the fact that I lost 17 pounds, and it looks to be time for a new shirt.  I think I'm pretty lucky I got what I did out of it at this meet.  Before we get a new one, he is going to lower the neck in my F6 and tighten up the chest plate and reinforce all of the seams.  I'm psyched about that. 

Good meet, nice people, good times.  I'll post vids later.  :)

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #268 on: June 28, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
good going rip....

you're my new hero !

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #269 on: June 28, 2008, 08:06:24 PM »
good going rip....

you're my new hero !

Thanks Geo!    :D

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #270 on: June 28, 2008, 08:27:10 PM »

Thanks Geo!    :D

Congrats Lori!  Judging on your 1st squat is why I will NEVER compete in single ply.  I dont have the mental fortitude for it.  Strong lifts all around though for sure.  What kind of gear did you squat in?

Jason

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #271 on: June 28, 2008, 08:31:02 PM »
Congrats Lori!  Judging on your 1st squat is why I will NEVER compete in single ply.  I dont have the mental fortitude for it.  Strong lifts all around though for sure.  What kind of gear did you squat in?

Jason

Thanks Jason!   I squatted and deadlifted RAW, just a belt.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #272 on: June 28, 2008, 08:37:20 PM »

Thanks Jason!   I squatted and deadlifted RAW, just a belt.

RAW lifting=pissing away pounds from your total.  ;D ;D ;D Youre an animal!

Jason

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #273 on: June 29, 2008, 12:07:17 PM »
YEAH BUDDAY!!!

Congrats Rip!

Pulling 300+ off the floor is amazing, not to mention your record bench!

Keep up the good work!

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #274 on: June 29, 2008, 05:15:12 PM »
The squat suit is coming next!! 

BOOM  ;D  Here it is... the meet condensed into 5 minutes. 

After watching the vids, I would say that I am not sure what I got red lights on my first squat for, and I think that the calls on the bench press were fair...I didn't have the 242 clean.  I also see that I need to learn how to use my legs when I deadlift maybe just a little bit!!!  That last deadlift is still hurting tonight!