Author Topic: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29 (RESULTS/VIDS p. 11)  (Read 47115 times)

Geo

• Getbig IV
yeah rip...

great going !

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Awesome fucking job Lori!!!

To say I`m impressed would be a huge understatement.......... .....really psyched and happy for you.

Congrats hun,now kick ass in Cleveland!!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
yeah rip...

great going !

Awesome fucking job Lori!!!

To say I`m impressed would be a huge understatement.......... .....really psyched and happy for you.

Congrats hun,now kick ass in Cleveland!!

Thanks Geo, thanks Tim, it was fun!  :)

In retrospect, I may have been slightly conservative with my lifts, but I'm really happy to have not bombed out, esp for my first full meet.

Now it's on to Cleveland for the NA's...maybe...we'll see.  Right now, I need to think about re-vamping my training for the next 8 weeks. 

:)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
The Powerlifting Watch Lifter Rankings are the Top 50 (20 for women) squats, bench presses, deadlifts, and totals performed in the past 12 months (in the U.S. or by American lifters). The rankings are broken out by weight class, equipment type (raw, single ply, and multi ply), and gender. Lifts achieved in a recognized federation or major unsanctioned meet are included in the rankings.

Lori Steele, 132, was named best female lifter at this weekend's USPF Senior Nationals. Steele totalled 770 pounds, recording a 242 pound squat, 225 bench press and 303 pound deadlift. The bench press ranks Steele third and the total nineteenth in the Powerlifting Watch Lifter Rankings.   :o

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
 :o

you're already in the PL Watch rankings?!? gah dammit! now i really gotta kick things into high gear!

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
The Powerlifting Watch Lifter Rankings are the Top 50 (20 for women) squats, bench presses, deadlifts, and totals performed in the past 12 months (in the U.S. or by American lifters). The rankings are broken out by weight class, equipment type (raw, single ply, and multi ply), and gender. Lifts achieved in a recognized federation or major unsanctioned meet are included in the rankings.

Lori Steele, 132, was named best female lifter at this weekend's USPF Senior Nationals. Steele totalled 770 pounds, recording a 242 pound squat, 225 bench press and 303 pound deadlift. The bench press ranks Steele third and the total nineteenth in the Powerlifting Watch Lifter Rankings.   :o

Congrats Rip, that is such great news. WOW. You are such a champion. :o

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
the music on that vid is just clutch.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
the music on that vid is just clutch.

;D

Glad you appreciated it!  I'm sorry, but I just don't do death metal.  ;D

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Those lifts looked EASY! ;D

Practice getting your hips lower and under you more when you deadlift, drive with your heals. you are pulling ALL lower back, just using the hips as a hinge, instead of for power. it's obviously working for you so keep up whatever feels comfortable.

Those squats didn't look bad, some FEDS would have passed them, but USPF meets are very strict. you have a TON of lockout power on squats.

I'm very happy for you and truely impressed overall!

That squat suit will add more "fun" to your training!

Now it's time to get ripped!

Good work Champ! ;D

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
Those lifts looked EASY! ;D

Practice getting your hips lower and under you more when you deadlift, drive with your heals. you are pulling ALL lower back, just using the hips as a hinge, instead of for power. it's obviously working for you so keep up whatever feels comfortable.

Those squats didn't look bad, some FEDS would have passed them, but USPF meets are very strict. you have a TON of lockout power on squats.

I'm very happy for you and truely impressed overall!

That squat suit will add more "fun" to your training!

Now it's time to get ripped!

Good work Champ! ;D

8)

Thanks OL, and thanks SO much for the help you provided me along the way!!   You and some of the other guys on this board have been really great, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Those DLs were NOT comfortable btw.  After my second lift, I was talking to someone about how I really need to try to keep my hips down and use them and my legs more when I lift, and then I got up there for my third lift and completely forgot all of that, and just bent over and picked up the weight with nothing but my back.  ::)
I am still feeling it today. 

NOW I need to figure out how to structure my training for the BB contest prep and still get some powerlifting work in.  I need to start doing lighter weights and higher reps for the most part - work on defining (and minimizing risk for injury) as opposed to mass/strength building right now. 
I gotta cut down to one bench/squat/dl workout a week, dedinitely have to add some work on my shoulders, arms, and upper back, and generally restructure things so that I am weight training 5 times a week now with higher volume instead of 3-4 with lower volume.  I would like to train back twice a week now because my upper back width is seriously lacking. 

My plan is to restructure things for the next 8 weeks, but somehow still manage to train the three big lifts, just not as heavy.  Not sure what rep range I am going to work in, or what kinds of exercises I am going to do.  (for example, I probably won't do much shirt work for the next 8 weeks, so I am not sure if I am going to keep working board presses and other related exercises.)  Then, I will have 3-4 weeks to go really heavy again after the North Americans, and then another 8 weeks of lighter, high volume work before Nationals. 

So I am basically looking at 8 weeks light, 4 weeks heavy, 8 weeks light....or something like that. 
I'm happy to take suggestions if anyone has any!   ;D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
GREAT WORK RIP!!!

I want a WR, damnit! :(

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
GREAT WORK RIP!!!

I want a WR, damnit! :(

LOL! Thank you Lift!!  And thanks for your help and support along the way.  :)

That pretty much closes out the 2008 powerlifting season for me.  I am already looking forward to next season!! 
But for now, I am focusing on bodybuilding, starting possibly with the IFBB North Americans in 8 weeks and then more definitely NPC Nationals in November. 
I have found the training log to be particularly helpful and motivating, so I have decided to continue my training log in my contest prep thread on the FBB Board:
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=220706.msg3103264#new

My plan right now is to change up my workout routine a little bit to focus more on what I need to do for bodybuilding, and to minimize my risk for injury while I am dieting down the rest of the way.  I am going to continue to do one bench, squat, and deadlift workout per week so that I keep practicing form and maintain as much strength as I can.  I will rotate between light/moderate/heavy weeks, but in general, the heavy weeks will be lighter than they were while I was preparing for this last PL meet. 
I will probably add some additional exercises to those three workouts (like incline presses, pec flies, chin-ups, leg extensions), and I am planning on adding a shoulder workout (focusing primarily on sides/rears), as well as a biceps/abs workout, making it probably five days a week that I will train with weights.  Right now, more of my focus needs to be on my upper back, delts, and abs.

I'll be back to powerlifting after the bodybuilding season is over, and next season I will definitely definitely be taking it to the next level and breaking in a squat suit!

I know you powerlifter guys never make it over to the FBB board, but I hope you can come check in on me from time to time!  There will likely be progress pics too.  ;)

WJ_Harley

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
yummy. :P
c

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches

Thanks OL, and thanks SO much for the help you provided me along the way!!   You and some of the other guys on this board have been really great, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Those DLs were NOT comfortable btw.  After my second lift, I was talking to someone about how I really need to try to keep my hips down and use them and my legs more when I lift, and then I got up there for my third lift and completely forgot all of that, and just bent over and picked up the weight with nothing but my back.  ::)
I am still feeling it today. 

NOW I need to figure out how to structure my training for the BB contest prep and still get some powerlifting work in.  I need to start doing lighter weights and higher reps for the most part - work on defining (and minimizing risk for injury) as opposed to mass/strength building right now. 
I gotta cut down to one bench/squat/dl workout a week, dedinitely have to add some work on my shoulders, arms, and upper back, and generally restructure things so that I am weight training 5 times a week now with higher volume instead of 3-4 with lower volume.  I would like to train back twice a week now because my upper back width is seriously lacking. 

My plan is to restructure things for the next 8 weeks, but somehow still manage to train the three big lifts, just not as heavy.  Not sure what rep range I am going to work in, or what kinds of exercises I am going to do.  (for example, I probably won't do much shirt work for the next 8 weeks, so I am not sure if I am going to keep working board presses and other related exercises.)  Then, I will have 3-4 weeks to go really heavy again after the North Americans, and then another 8 weeks of lighter, high volume work before Nationals. 

So I am basically looking at 8 weeks light, 4 weeks heavy, 8 weeks light....or something like that. 
I'm happy to take suggestions if anyone has any!   ;D

I would say dont abandon your gear (or I guess shirt?)  completely. It is going to be  loose when you drop weight so take the chance to do doubles and triples in it. It will really teach you  how to use it properly. Maybe even get  your squat suit now and start doing straps down (locked and unlocked bottoms) work in it. It will save your hips big time and let you keep lifting heavy(er) with minimal chance of injury.

Also do  high reps on the Big three.  5x16 on squats (you have  no idea how much fun those are!) , 2x20 deadlifts  etc... Just  because you are  in a low percent of your max doesn't mean  your not improving. No chance of injury on those.

I know one guy who trains like this all the time and he is national  level in both powerlifting and bodybuilding (in Canada). Anyway just my thoughts on the topic.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
I would say dont abandon your gear (or I guess shirt?)  completely. It is going to be  loose when you drop weight so take the chance to do doubles and triples in it. It will really teach you  how to use it properly. Maybe even get  your squat suit now and start doing straps down (locked and unlocked bottoms) work in it. It will save your hips big time and let you keep lifting heavy(er) with minimal chance of injury.

Also do  high reps on the Big three.  5x16 on squats (you have  no idea how much fun those are!) , 2x20 deadlifts  etc... Just  because you are  in a low percent of your max doesn't mean  your not improving. No chance of injury on those.

I know one guy who trains like this all the time and he is national  level in both powerlifting and bodybuilding (in Canada). Anyway just my thoughts on the topic.

Thanks... those are exactly the kinds of suggestions I am looking for!  :)

I did give my shirt back to Titan, and they are lowering the neck and tightening the chest plate for me.  So you KNOW I am going to have to try it out when they send it back to me!  I'll probably be stepping up to a Katana next year, but I am curious to see what the adjustments to my F6 are going to do.

Not sure what weight I'll eventually end up bouncing back to after the BB comps - I'd like to stay in the 132 weight class if at all possible - so I'll look into purchasing a squat suit in the near future too, as it certainly wouldn't hurt to start breaking it in while I am smaller.  It's gonna be a Titan as well. 

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches

Thanks... those are exactly the kinds of suggestions I am looking for!  :)

I did give my shirt back to Titan, and they are lowering the neck and tightening the chest plate for me.  So you KNOW I am going to have to try it out when they send it back to me!  I'll probably be stepping up to a Katana next year, but I am curious to see what the adjustments to my F6 are going to do.

Not sure what weight I'll eventually end up bouncing back to after the BB comps - I'd like to stay in the 132 weight class if at all possible - so I'll look into purchasing a squat suit in the near future too, as it certainly wouldn't hurt to start breaking it in while I am smaller.  It's gonna be a Titan as well. 

Katana's are king. I have two. One for the in the 198 class and one for the 220 class. Its like having fat pants  8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
Katana's are king. I have two. One for the in the 198 class and one for the 220 class. Its like having fat pants  8)

I know a thing or two about fat pants.  I'm finally packing mine away for a few months this weekend!! 

Trab used to tell me that life is too short to have just one bench shirt!   ;D

AVBG

You should be proud of yourself Rip! They're great lifts, are you going to continue with PL comp?

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
there's a dude at my gym trying to get me to join the single ply competition brigade. now i almost feel like going for it, even though i've spent years railing single-ply feds.  >:(

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
You should be proud of yourself Rip! They're great lifts, are you going to continue with PL comp?

Thank you Alex! :)
I LOVE powerlifting, so yes, I will continue.  But not 100% until I get myself through the upcoming bodybuilding competitions.  That's my priority now until I get through NPC Nationals.

there's a dude at my gym trying to get me to join the single ply competition brigade. now i almost feel like going for it, even though i've spent years railing single-ply feds.  >:(

Why have you been railing them? 

Is there something, "MisterMagoo"? 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
awesome job rip, makes me wanna do some powerlifting.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
awesome job rip, makes me wanna do some powerlifting.

Thanks Tony, it was great fun.  I am already looking forward to getting back into it as soon as I get through this BB season. 

My training has been kind of all over the place since the PL meet by the way.  I've had a couple of decent workouts, but I've lightened up the weight considerably and am more in "survival mode" at the gym right now, with the North Americans six weeks away.  I am planning on squatting tonight, but squatting with 155-175 pounds for 5 reps has felt heavy for me lately.   :-\

Is it my next off-season yet??!?!?!   ;D