Author Topic: Is Bob correct about Mike Mentzer?  (Read 48429 times)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Re: Is Bob correct about Mike Mentzer?
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 08:44:45 AM »

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 08:45:48 AM »
one thing you can say about Mike is that he looked narrow in the shoulders in a lot of shots, monster forearms though.

SHRREDDitUP

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 08:47:25 AM »
Hahahaha,

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 08:48:23 AM »
one thing you can say about Mike is that he looked narrow in the shoulders in a lot of shots, monster forearms though.

Shoulders weren't narrow...hips were wide.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 08:49:46 AM »
Shoulders weren't narrow...hips were wide.
i think he was a typical meso/endo type build, probably those Pennsylvania German genetics.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2008, 08:50:14 AM »
now thats a big ass !!!

ive never seen such a big ass!!!

and look at those big hips !!!

chick is right on!!!

Z

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2008, 08:50:56 AM »
Wide hips but he had a tiny waist

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2008, 08:51:06 AM »
another pic of his HUGE ASS!!!

jesus what was he thinking! he should've stopped squatting!

Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2008, 08:52:54 AM »
Here's a tip for you...when trying to make a point, use an appropriote picture...like one from the front or back.

no need, if he has such a big ass and big hips as you claim, it should be CLEARLY visible from any angle.

but ok, check out the 2nd pic i posted, from the back

WHAT A HUGE ASS!!!
Z

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2008, 08:55:14 AM »
sorry Bob but your taper isn't exactly slim.

and what about glutes?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2008, 08:56:49 AM »

and what about glutes?

hahahahhaa, you're not honestly trying to compare Bob's physique with Mentzer's are you? Bob destroys him in every area, width, shape, size, symmetry, condition, everything.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2008, 08:57:45 AM »
no need, if he has such a big ass and big hips as you claim, it should be CLEARLY visible from any angle.

but ok, check out the 2nd pic i posted, from the back

WHAT A HUGE ASS!!!

you mean like this one?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2008, 08:59:40 AM »

and what about glutes?

You're right...my bad

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2008, 09:09:28 AM »
hahahahhaa, you're not honestly trying to compare Bob's physique with Mentzer's are you? Bob destroys him in every area, width, shape, size, symmetry, condition, everything.

::)

Z

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2008, 09:11:07 AM »
damn, bobs quad sweep is insane..

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2008, 10:17:11 AM »
I have to say Bob....

you're hips & ass are much bigger than mike's in proportion.

If you make the claim on Mike....then you must be a tougher critic on yourself

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2008, 10:24:55 AM »
i never understood the mentzer hype

E
E

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2008, 10:57:19 AM »
I have to say Bob....

you're hips & ass are much bigger than mike's in proportion.

If you make the claim on Mike....then you must be a tougher critic on yourself

I dont have to make any claim on myself....that wasn't the issue, or the premise of the argument. This was never a Me ve Mike debate.

I made a statement critiqing his physique....what does that have to do with me or my physique?

On_Swole

• Expert
  • Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2008, 11:00:03 AM »
With Mentzer having been the only person to ever win the Universe with a perfect score, not to mention a heavyweight class win at the '79 Olympia (with a controversial overall loss to Zane), I'd hardly say that he was "over-rated". Bodybuilding, however, is subjective with opinions that can vary greatly.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2008, 11:03:56 AM »
I dont have to make any claim on myself....that wasn't the issue, or the premise of the argument. This was never a Me ve Mike debate.

I made a statement critiqing his physique....what does that have to do with me or my physique?

True...True

But for the sake of argument....if there was a virtual posedown between you Mike....

could you (or would you) still make those same critiques on Mike's child bearing hips & big ass when you're the competition to be compared with?

Reno

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2008, 11:32:48 AM »
            The truth is quite clear to anyone who was present during this period: either as a competitor or an observer.
            Mentzer was the most popular bodybuilder in the world during his prime [ with the fans up until Arnold started making movies] - NO doubt about it. Ask Bob Kennedy or Wayne Gallasch [ sp] who was the main person selling videos at the time. He was the modern day Steve Reeves with a spectacular look [ head to toe when in shape] that no one could match. I remember in London,  Mentzer gracefully walking down the street and everyone [ non bodybuilders and especially women as well] going crazy. This is what happened where ever Mentzer went. He would tell me that he had so many requests from women that it was hard to comprehend. When the Mentzer's trained EVERY eye was on them. Believe it that all would trade their physiques for his in a heart beat.
           At the 79 Olympia Chris Lund stated that Mentzer had the greatest physique that he had ever photographed up to that point. [ I believe this statement was published in the mags also- not sure though]. Serge Nubret stated that Mike was superior but would not be given the title [ to that effect]. Which leads us to the dark side  of Mike and at the time quite an extensive one exsisted.
           As I previously said Mike was the most admired bodybuilder in the world at the time because of his unique physique [ when in shape] COMBINED with his astounding good looks, excellent command of the English language, gracefull manner  in which he carried himself, unparalled confidence [ like Arnold].
          However:
              Mike was often an abrasive, aloof, and downright rude individual. He felt [ imo] that he was royalty and in a class by himself . At every turn [ seminars, writings etc.] he would criticize the training beliefs of others and basically describe them as " know nothings". He would also tell everyone not to waste their money on supplements, protein powder, etc. which one would imagine did not endear him to the Weiders who made their money from such. He also referred to the IFBB judges in most unfaltering terms.
             Thus it is not so difficult to understand why Mike was denied both the 79-80 Olympia's. Many strongly disliked Mike and some still do. However the topic of a wide pelvis and large glutes was issued which can be answered with antecedal evidence supplied:
                     I recall some one saying [ Ed Corney  I believe]  that Mentzer had more signature poses than any competitor ever; which caused me to review and agree with his assertation.
                    The following: leg extending sartorious
                                       Crucifix [ his and Sergio's]
                                       Open handed back pose
                                       Twisting, kneeling one arm tricep
                                       Two arms overhead forearm - only overhead pose at that time that was ever done was by -Sergio- victory pose.
                                       One arm side [ arm extended] done from rt. or left side and done either with ONE arm or BOTH arms:  As done only by Arnold and Dave Draper but theirs was only the right side with both arms.
                                       Double forearm pose from the back
                                       AND TO ANSWER THE WIDE HIP question the VACUUM pose done only by MIke and Zane in which we felt [ due to the fact that MIke was much thicker] his vacuum was  superior. However only he and Zane could do one. Of course one of the requirements for a successful vacuum is NARROW hips- which Mike had- along with the crucifix pose also demanding the same requirement. Of course Mike had the best crucifix. Ask Robbie Robertson a person who knows a thing or two about wide hips if Mentzer had an issue there.                                       AS far as large glutes I don't see it as an issue.
      Additional comments: I remember Bob Kennedy stating that the two bodybuilders with the best genetics in his opinion was Mentzer and Yates - this was printed in one of his books. No mention of wide hips and large buttocks.
        - In later life Mike apoligized to many for his behavior that may have offended others. Mike was the rare individual that had the ability to evolve as a human spirit. He was as honest an individual as I have ever known and passionately dedicated to the truth. Mike believed all he hypothesized.
          Actually just the other day I was sitting outside a car wash and happened to be speaking with one of the top amateur guys today. He brought up Mentzer and how he admired him and asked my opinion. Later as I drove to the gym I realized I have never seen anyone [ dating back to the 60's] that looked as good [ head to toe] as Mike Mentzer.                                  

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2008, 11:48:03 AM »
           The truth is quite clear to anyone who was present during this period: either as a competitor or an observer.
            Mentzer was the most popular bodybuilder in the world during his prime [ with the fans up until Arnold started making movies] - NO doubt about it. Ask Bob Kennedy or Wayne Gallasch [ sp] who was the main person selling videos at the time. He was the modern day Steve Reeves with a spectacular look [ head to toe when in shape] that no one could match. I remember in London,  Mentzer gracefully walking down the street and everyone [ non bodybuilders and especially women as well] going crazy. This is what happened where ever Mentzer went. He would tell me that he had so many requests from women that it was hard to comprehend. When the Mentzer's trained EVERY eye was on them. Believe it that all would trade their physiques for his in a heart beat.
           At the 79 Olympia Chris Lund stated that Mentzer had the greatest physique that he had ever photographed up to that point. [ I believe this statement was published in the mags also- not sure though]. Serge Nubret stated that Mike was superior but would not be given the title [ to that effect]. Which leads us to the dark side  of Mike and at the time quite an extensive one exsisted.
           As I previously said Mike was the most admired bodybuilder in the world at the time because of his unique physique [ when in shape] COMBINED with his astounding good looks, excellent command of the English language, gracefull manner  in which he carried himself, unparalled confidence [ like Arnold].
          However:
              Mike was often an abrasive, aloof, and downright rude individual. He felt [ imo] that he was royalty and in a class by himself . At every turn [ seminars, writings etc.] he would criticize the training beliefs of others and basically describe them as " know nothings". He would also tell everyone not to waste their money on supplements, protein powder, etc. which one would imagine did not endear him to the Weiders who made their money from such. He also referred to the IFBB judges in most unfaltering terms.
             Thus it is not so difficult to understand why Mike was denied both the 79-80 Olympia's. Many strongly disliked Mike and some still do. However the topic of a wide pelvis and large glutes was issued which can be answered with antecedal evidence supplied:
                     I recall some one saying [ Ed Corney  I believe]  that Mentzer had more signature poses than any competitor ever; which caused me to review and agree with his assertation.
                    The following: leg extending sartorious
                                       Crucifix [ his and Sergio's]
                                       Open handed back pose
                                       Twisting, kneeling one arm tricep
                                       Two arms overhead forearm - only overhead pose at that time that was ever done was by -Sergio- victory pose.
                                       One arm side [ arm extended] done from rt. or left side and done either with ONE arm or BOTH arms:  As done only by Arnold and Dave Draper but theirs was only the right side with both arms.
                                       Double forearm pose from the back
                                       AND TO ANSWER THE WIDE HIP question the VACUUM pose done only by MIke and Zane in which we felt [ due to the fact that MIke was much thicker] his vacuum was  superior. However only he and Zane could do one. Of course one of the requirements for a successful vacuum is NARROW hips- which Mike had- along with the crucifix pose also demanding the same requirement. Of course Mike had the best crucifix. Ask Robbie Robertson a person who knows a thing or two about wide hips if Mentzer had an issue there.                                       AS far as large glutes I don't see it as an issue.
      Additional comments: I remember Bob Kennedy stating that the two bodybuilders with the best genetics in his opinion was Mentzer and Yates - this was printed in one of his books. No mention of wide hips and large buttocks.
        - In later life Mike apoligized to many for his behavior that may have offended others. Mike was the rare individual that had the ability to evolve as a human spirit. He was as honest an individual as I have ever known and passionately dedicated to the truth. Mike believed all he hypothesized.
          Actually just the other day I was sitting outside a car wash and happened to be speaking with one of the top amateur guys today. He brought up Mentzer and how he admired him and asked my opinion. Later as I drove to the gym I realized I have never seen anyone [ dating back to the 60's] that looked as good [ head to toe] as Mike Mentzer.                                  

Thanks for the review...and the opinions of Bob Kennedy and Chris Lund.

The original comment was to address the question of whether or not Mike was better than Arnold....thats where the quote and answer from me came from.

It's unny how some of these guys get better after death, or years after retirement....I've never questioned the fact that Mentzer was a damn good bodybuilder...but lets not get crazy here...

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2008, 11:53:54 AM »
His ass doesn't look huge and his hips don't look that wide. It probably didn't help him that he was undoubtedly mentally unbalanced, a serious rec drug user, and everything he preached flew in the face of the so-called Weider principles.
O

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2008, 12:00:41 PM »
Mentzer had a very thick, rugged and powerful physique and it's true he had some great poses. I met him and stayed at his place in 1978 when I was 16 years old, and he was very nice. I saw no evidence of this egotistical side that's been mentioned. He may have gotten that way later, but he was a very decent person when I met him. As physiques go, Arnold at his best was still better than Mentzer in my opinion.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2008, 01:04:14 PM »
bob, you looked great in that comparison pic, but those later ones its obvious that signs of the dreaded thickening of the waist was happening.

was it insulin, gh, igf1?

as a bb rep you owe it to us here to avoid it happening to others and hence the good of bodybuilding.
175lbs by 31st July