Author Topic: Is Bob correct about Mike Mentzer?  (Read 48412 times)

JohnnyVegas

Re: Is Bob correct about Mike Mentzer?
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2008, 04:30:22 PM »
Quote from: gh15 on Today at 02:58:38 PM
mentzer couldnt win the o because he was narrow and compact,,when you are narrow and compact you better have very big mesurments on the muscle and mentzer did not have it ,,he had a physiqe that reponnded very well to drugs but he tried to play the astetic game when in reality he was same as branch ,,thos guys look like local bodybuilders if they are not very big ansd thick ,,,,take the widness away and youll never win the big one or most likley any top pro show

I guess that is why Mentzer is the only person in history to receive a PERFECT score in the Universe.

gh15 is a fucking retarded fool, anyone that listens to this clown is an idiot.

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »
Mentzer defintely had a small chest and sometimes had a gut, but i don't really see wide hips.  And even if he had them, hips don't seem to matter much in bbing compared to waist size.  Look at troy Alves.  He has a small waist and wide hips and has one of the more appealing physiques.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2008, 04:51:20 PM »
I guess that is why Mentzer is the only person in history to receive a PERFECT score in the Universe.

gh15 is a fucking retarded fool, anyone that listens to this clown is an idiot.

You're the retard...you get a Perfect score based on who your standing next to, and compared against..not your physique as an individual...that was as good as anyone getting straight 1st place votes, or a score of 15 in any pro show.....which has been done a million times....even back in that Day...Padilla scored a perfect 300 and LOST against Robbie Robinson.

schwarzenpecker

• Getbig II
  • You may have seen me at your local video store
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2008, 05:49:44 PM »
Chick, do you think Frank Zane should have beat Robby Robinson for the Mr. O. or any other contest? Robby made Zane look skinny, but still had excellent symmetry.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2008, 05:50:22 PM »
This shit makes me laugh

Moosejay

« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2008, 05:52:32 PM »
Chick, do you think Frank Zane should have beat Robby Robinson for the Mr. O. or any other contest? Robby made Zane look skinny, but still had excellent symmetry.

I am not Chick but I will answer.

Yes, Zane easily trounced Robby each time in the O.

Robby always showed up Olympia day out of condition, whilst Zane was on the dot.

Chick will corroborate this.

Reno

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2008, 06:02:33 PM »
            It's strange how individuals can see things from a different prospective than those that were present at the 79-80 Olympia's.
            To stand behind Mentzer you would have to be concerned with being smothered by his triceps- which were the best ever seen up to that point along with calves, sartorious and forearms. To stand next to him was an experience in intimidation. Perhaps the widest man I have ever seen on stage was Dennis Tinnerio and he was a fan  of Mike like everyone else. Heck why doesn't someone ask the players that were actually there? Padilla, Robertson, Samir will tell it like it was. A little while back someone came up to Tom PLatz and asked about Mentzer and he politely [ as always] nodded his head in reverance and spoke with great respect and admiration. It seems as if the criticism comes from those who weren't present during this era. MOST of the Olympia competitors [ at the time] have said that winning the title WASN'T about having the best physique - which it wasn't.
            It's interesting to note that the poiint brought up about Mike Mentzer being nothing without drugs and was an extensive user is NOT true. I knew Mentzer since the Teenage MR. America and to this day I never have seen an eighteen year old with his development.
            Mike NEVER criticized another bodybuilder's physique [ Their training methods - yes ]. 3 Days before he passed away he spoke very highly of Arnold to me [ Mike to the surprise of many would defend Arnold when people would say he had calf implants, etc.].
            I don't believe it is productive to downgrade others: I don't know Chick but I like him as a personality and appreciate his work. GH 15 does not echo Mentzer's contempories views. But I will tell you this in the mid 70's up to 1980 Mike Mentzer was CLEARLY the most popular bodybuilder in the world. Ask Joe Weider, Bob Kennedy, Wayne Gallasch [ I have stated this previously] - the competitors at the time. The truth is the truth. Some can criticize all they desire but the fact remains that Mentzer was number 1 at the box office!

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2008, 06:03:23 PM »
You're the retard...you get a Perfect score based on who your standing next to, and compared against..not your physique as an individual...that was as good as anyone getting straight 1st place votes, or a score of 15 in any pro show.....which has been done a million times....even back in that Day...Padilla scored a perfect 300 and LOST against Robbie Robinson.

Padilla did NOT get a perfect score you fool.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2008, 06:13:57 PM »
Padilla did NOT get a perfect score you fool.

Oh....my bad. Educate yourself...

Fuckin moron.

The 1979 Night of Champions: A Classic Show that Ended in Controversy!

New York City: Brash; Bold; Unpredictable. It is a city where anything can happen and, at one time or another, pretty much everything does. And so it is fitting that "The Big Apple" would play host to the professional bodybuilding competition that probably holds the record for most controversial decisions: "A Night of Champions."

Inaugurated in 1978 by Wayne DeMilia, Karen Clark, and Charles Blake, "A Night of Champions" was New York City's first and, to this day, only professional bodybuilding show. Held at the upper west side's Beacon Theater, the NOC has attracted some of the sport's most rabid fans from the tri-state region and beyond.

Until the creation of the Arnold Classic by Arnold Schwarzenegger the NOC was considered to be the second most prestigious event for IFBB athletes, next to the Mr. Olympia. And, being such, it has always attracted many of the best bodybuilders in the world.

Let the Show Begin
The show's history began smoothly enough, with the popular Robby Robinson being its first winner, beating out massive second-place finisher Roy Callender, aesthetic Bill Grant in third, and the "Ragin' Cajun," Boyer Coe who tied master poser Ed Corney for fourth place. It was the following year, 1979, however, when the NOC started to earn its reputation as a competition with a little something extra.

Once again, superstar Robby Robinson was entered. Having won the heavyweight class of the 1978 Mr. Olympia seven months prior he was considered to be the second best, if not the best, bodybuilder alive. Bill Grant, Boyer Coe and Ed Corney were also returning for a second go at it. But there were a few competitors who weren't around the previous year.

New pro Mike Mentzer was already making waves in the I.F.B.B. as the winner of the Southern Pro Cup and Florida Pro Invitational shows that year and was predicted to be Robby's main competition. Old stalwart Ken Waller would make a return from elbow surgery at this show. And 5' 2" Danny Padilla, in his sophomore year as a pro, would also try to upset the seemingly unbeatable Robinson.

They Might Be Giants...
As predicted, Robby walked onstage looking like a superhero– wiiide shoulders, 28" waist, bicep peaks like the Matterhorn. He was, to coin a phrase, "chiseled perfection."

When Mentzer hit the stage it was as if Hercules himself strode down from Mt. Olympus to grace the NYC audience with his presence. Thick and broad, he brought slabs of muscle to the posing dais unlike anything seen there before. Robby would surely have his hands full with the mighty Mentzer.

... But a Giant Killer Lurks
But then, something unexpected happened. A phenom emerged from the Beacon wings. Combining the proportions of Robinson with the mass of Mentzer and showing a level of definition he had never known before, this 5' 2" dynamo went on to bring the house down with his self-deprecating posing routine to the tune of Randy Newman's "Short People." It became immediately apparent that Danny Padilla had finally reached the level of a top contender.

It was clear from the outset that the top three finishers would be Robinson, Mentzer and Padilla. The others would have to vie for fourth place.

When the three comparison rounds were complete the judges tallied their scoresheets to essentially determine their winner. While the final posedown still remained it was usually considered a formality, a crowd-pleasing grand finale during which the top five guys would duke it out, mano-a-mano, hitting poses rapid fire, more for the sound of applause than with the idea of impacting the judges' decision.

The winner of the first three rounds was always the winner of the show.

Danny Padilla 
So, during the break between rounds three and four the points were added and the score read:

Robby Robinson- 299 pts.: Mike Mentzer- 297 pts.: Danny Padilla... 300 pts.! A perfect score for the 28-year-old! And against two of the top three bodybuilders in the world! It was no small upset in the making.

That evening, with knowledge of their standings, the three men, along with Bill Grant and Boyer Coe, took the Beacon stage in the free-for-all posedown.

The Showdown
Robby fought against a second-place finish with each pose, despite the exhaustion he was now experiencing from having competed in three shows within a five week span. Mike felt the same stress as Robby and, understanding that his posing skills were not quite at Robinson's level yet became somewhat accepting of the fact that, this one time, he might not take first place. Danny went along posing as he often did, even-keeled, workmanlike, some might say a bit boringly. But he was thoroughly professional throughout.

Shortly after the free pose ended it was time for the trophy presentation. Wayne DeMilia read the scorecard to the audience.

"In fifth place, and receiving a check for $1000... Bill Grant!" Expected by most.

"In fourth place, receiving a check in the amount of $1,200... Boyer Coe!" No surprise there.

"And in third place, receiving $1,600..." The tension grew. "Mike Mentzer!"

While there were scattered boos the audience accepted Mike's fate well.

Fit to be Tied
"And now..." A pause from DeMilia. "Ladies and Gentlermen, we don't have a second place winner. After four rounds... we have a tie... between Danny Padilla and Robby Robinson for first place!"

The crowd loved it. This meant more competition for them because now Danny and Robby would have to engage in a two-man elimination posedown- the first of its kind!

The crowd by this point was clearly behind the "Giant Killer." They made it their mission to cheer him on to victory.

But the experience and regal composure of "The Black Prince" made the difference on the night of May 12th, 1979 and Robby Robinson was awarded the winner's trophy and $6000 top prize, leaving a confused but upbeat Danny Padilla with a check for one-third that amount and a new fanbase 2,700 strong.

The Aftermath
Yet the questions linger: Why was Robby able to win the 1979 NOC- a bodybuilding show- when he was judged not to have the best body onstage that night? Should his posedown ability have been factored into the decision? Did the fact that Joe Weider was promoting Robby as his next great star or that he recently had commissioned a sculptor to create a bust using his head on Robby's torso have anything to do with the outcome? Or did the judges just see something with Danny and Robby going one-on-one that they hadn't previously?

And so began the legacy of unusual and controversial decisions at the "Night of Champions" (as it has been renamed) that continue to this day.

Only in New York, folks. Only in New York

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2008, 06:22:15 PM »
Oh....my bad. Educate yourself...

Fuckin moron.

The 1979 Night of Champions: A Classic Show that Ended in Controversy!

Mentzer received a PERFECT score in the Mr. Universe-no one did it before that and no one has done it since.

Now dipshit Bob-is the Night of Champions the Mr. Universe ????.....

Chick, you are a fucking stupid fool who has the brain power of a circus chimp, now get dancing Ringo.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2008, 06:31:57 PM »
           It's strange how individuals can see things from a different prospective than those that were present at the 79-80 Olympia's.
            To stand behind Mentzer you would have to be concerned with being smothered by his triceps- which were the best ever seen up to that point along with calves, sartorious and forearms. To stand next to him was an experience in intimidation. Perhaps the widest man I have ever seen on stage was Dennis Tinnerio and he was a fan  of Mike like everyone else. Heck why doesn't someone ask the players that were actually there? Padilla, Robertson, Samir will tell it like it was. A little while back someone came up to Tom PLatz and asked about Mentzer and he politely [ as always] nodded his head in reverance and spoke with great respect and admiration. It seems as if the criticism comes from those who weren't present during this era. MOST of the Olympia competitors [ at the time] have said that winning the title WASN'T about having the best physique - which it wasn't.
            It's interesting to note that the poiint brought up about Mike Mentzer being nothing without drugs and was an extensive user is NOT true. I knew Mentzer since the Teenage MR. America and to this day I never have seen an eighteen year old with his development.
            Mike NEVER criticized another bodybuilder's physique [ Their training methods - yes ]. 3 Days before he passed away he spoke very highly of Arnold to me [ Mike to the surprise of many would defend Arnold when people would say he had calf implants, etc.].
            I don't believe it is productive to downgrade others: I don't know Chick but I like him as a personality and appreciate his work. GH 15 does not echo Mentzer's contempories views. But I will tell you this in the mid 70's up to 1980 Mike Mentzer was CLEARLY the most popular bodybuilder in the world. Ask Joe Weider, Bob Kennedy, Wayne Gallasch [ I have stated this previously] - the competitors at the time. The truth is the truth. Some can criticize all they desire but the fact remains that Mentzer was number 1 at the box office!

Very interesting retrospective.  Mentzer always seems like he was trying to figure out new stuff.  Some of those old pics of him training on the Nautilus equipment were very cool.  I remember a cool one B/W of him on that Nautulis Tricep extension and if he had anything to do with the design of the old chain drive nautilus leg extension he was a genius, that machine was one of the best.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »

Which has nothing to do with the point I made.......

BTW...it's "AT" the Universe...if you want to be a technical asshole....IN the Universe makes it all encompassing, which means I'm correct....

Retard....

Also...tough for anyone to do it "since", since there is no IFBB Mr. Universe, and hasen't been for YEARS.......

Retard...

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2008, 07:34:13 PM »
Bob thinks Tamali is built well so, his credibility is all shot to hell
X

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2008, 08:01:35 PM »

i think mentzer was one of the best bodybuilders of his era,,never said he wasnt,,he trained well and consistant and used what he had to to get where he had to and was very strong,,i never said he was an bad bodybuilder,,fat from it i think he was very impressive to the eye and had very good physiqe,,you must understand that when i talk about the top of the top bodybuilders the critiqe is on minut things that everyday gym members and fitness enthusiastic will look at me like ....what ? are you crazy ...kinda the way van blinderass look at vince :D but in his case he is right,,,in any case the critiqe is very pointed and that guy was  great bodybuilder,,

most tall enough 5'8 -6'1 bodybuilder that got to a pro card up to the early 2000s had the potential to become a deserved mr o,,
fallen angel

Reno

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2008, 11:06:44 PM »
            GH 15
                 I enjoy reading your posts and respect your views.
                 I was a competitor and all I state is from first hand experience.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2008, 11:31:28 PM »
Please...

Thanks for proving my point.  Not sure who this is but this is wide for a BB.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2008, 12:28:41 AM »
I so hate those signs behind the guys posing. When we ran shows there was a plain curtain behind the competitors.

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2008, 12:40:25 AM »
mentzer couldnt win the o because he was narrow and compact,,when you are narrow and compact you better have very big mesurments on the muscle and mentzer did not have it ,,he had a physiqe that reponnded very well to drugs but he tried to play the astetic game when in reality he was same as branch ,,thos guys look like local bodybuilders if they are not very big ansd thick ,,,,take the widness away and youll never win the big one or most likley any top pro show
Franco "Arnie's BEST Buddy" Columbo was better than Mentzer??!!!! I don't think so and he won twice!!!! POLITICS then, POLITICS now.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2008, 01:10:34 AM »
I so hate those signs behind the guys posing. When we ran shows there was a plain curtain behind the competitors.

Vince, was it you who reversed most of the photos from the 1980 Olympia?

I'm curious to know why anyone would do that.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2008, 07:33:46 AM »
Thanks for proving my point.  Not sure who this is but this is wide for a BB.

Chicks waist is bigger than is chest...and what the hell happened to his Lats/Back??? Ran away and never came back.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
I like Bob....so Bob...don't take this the wrong way.

I guess to some extent....the goals of most professional body builders is to win contests or to be one of the best built men (if not on stage) at least one point in their life.

Guys like.....

Arnold
Zane
Yates
Coleman
Mentzer
Shawn Ray
Levrone
Flex

Will be remembered as one of the 'greats' with...or without winning an Olympia Title.  These guys were well respected amongst their peers & will be remembered like some of the other pioneers like Steve Reeves for years & years to come.  They made a permanent mark in Body Building History.

Bob...you'll be most remembered as a Body Building Commentator.  Now back when you were 13 & was an aspiring Body Builder....was that your true goal?  Granted, we heard of alot of guys over the years botch up commentating but you do seem to do it well. 

I guess where most people get their panties in a bunch is....
Here is you commentating negatively on one of the great names in Body Building.  Where you yourself fell very short of making that mark...& pretty much share alot of the same structural faults you were making against him.

I guess it's different when a 16 year with a computer makes a negative comment against a legend in Body Building....than a fellow Pro Body Builder, IFBB Athletes Rep, & Body Building Commentator.

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2008, 09:02:24 AM »

I guess to some extent....the goals of most professional body builders is to win contests or to be one of the best built men (if not on stage) at least one point in their life.

Guys like.....

Arnold
Zane
Yates
Coleman
Mentzer
Shawn Ray
Levrone
Flex

Will be remembered as one of the 'greats' with...or without winning an Olympia Title.  These guys were well respected amongst their peers & will be remembered like some of the other pioneers like Steve Reeves for years & years to come.  They made a permanent mark in Body Building History.

Bob...you'll be most remembered as a Body Building Commentator.  Now back when you were 13 & was an aspiring Body Builder....was that your true goal?  Granted, we heard of alot of guys over the years botch up commentating but you do seem to do it well. 

Here is you commentating negatively on one of the great names in Body Building.  Where you yourself fell very short of making that mark...& pretty much share alot of the same structural faults you were making against him.

I guess it's different when a 16 year with a computer makes a negative comment against a legend in Body Building....than a fellow Pro Body Builder, IFBB Athletes Rep, & Body Building Commentator.

Ouch! Some guy is gonna hurt when he reads this (he's got wide hips and he's not Mike Mentzer).

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2008, 09:05:52 AM »

Guys like.....

Arnold
Zane
Yates
Coleman
Mentzer
Shawn Ray
Levrone
Flex

You don't have to be a Mr. Olympia to make an assessment of a physique. I made a comment asked to me, on If I believed Mentzer was better than Arnold at the 80 Olympia...my answer stands. EVERY pro has flaws, Mentzer included. Whether I was a better BB than he was, or couldn't stand on the same stage...is irrelevant. Arnold had weak hams and sloped shoulders, Plats had no arms, Haneys arms were too small for his back, Wheeler was narrow, Dillett couldn't hit his back, etc, etc....doesn't mean they weren't great BBers in their own respect.

I share none of the same flaws as Mantzer...never had a weak chest, big hips or ass. My flaws were hamstrings, front to back thickness detail/ conditioning.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2008, 09:11:43 AM »
Ouch! Some guy is gonna hurt when he reads this (he's got wide hips and he's not Mike Mentzer).

Don't know who that is, but i"m sure he'll get over it...

Here's your "big hips"..LOL

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2008, 09:12:58 AM »
You don't have to be a Mr. Olympia to make an assessment of a physique. I made a comment asked to me, on If I believed Mentzer was better than Arnold at the 80 Olympia...my answer stands. EVERY pro has flaws, Mentzer included. Whether I was a better BB than he was, or couldn't stand on the same stage...is irrelevant. Arnold had weak hams and sloped shoulders, Plats had no arms, Haneys arms were too small for his back, Wheeler was narrow, Dillett couldn't hit his back, etc, etc....doesn't mean they weren't great BBers in their own respect.

I share none of the same flaws as Mantzer...never had a weak chest, big hips or ass. My flaws were hamstrings, front to back thickness detail/ conditioning.

Everything you said I agree...& see where you're coming from.....

except

Bob...be serious with yourself.....you're known in the body Building World has having wide hips & a biggish ass.

If you don't know that.....I guess thats what we've been trying to tell you.