Author Topic: McCain Clinches Presidency  (Read 4349 times)

The Coach

McCain Clinches Presidency
« on: April 16, 2008, 04:19:38 PM »
Barack Obama declined to condemn Jimmy Carter Wednesday for Carter’s decision to meet with Hamas but said he supports diplomacy with Iran because it has recognized status internationally.

In a meeting with Jewish community leaders in Philadelphia, the Democratic presidential candidate stopped short of condemning the meeting between the former U.S. president and the designated terror group. However, he said direct talks with the Islamic Republic have practical benefits that are in Israel’s interest.

“Hamas is not a state. Hamas is a terrorist organization,” Obama said, explaining the distinction. “They obviously have developed great influence within the Palestinian territories, but they do not control the apparatus of power; they are not legitimately recognized as a state. They do not have a seat in the United Nations. And so I think there is a very clear distinction; not necessarily in terms of some of the odious rhetoric that comes out of Iran’s leadership versus Hamas’ leadership. But there is a distinction in terms of their status within the international community.

Obama has frequently been taunted by his rivals for suggesting as president he’d sit down with America’s enemies without preconditions. He attempted to clarify Wednesday that he would go into meetings with Iranian leaders with a “very clear set of objectives and a very clear set of demands.”

Among those, he said he would press the country to stop pursuing nuclear weapons, stop funding Hezbollah and Hamas and stop threatening Israel.

“My interest in meeting with Iran is practical; it is not based on my assessment of who they are or my judgment about their values, but rather it is a practical assessment in terms of how we can best achieve our ultimate goal, which is an Iran that is not threatening its neighbors, is not threatening Israel, does not possess nuclear weapons, is not funding organizations like Hezbollah and Hamas,” he said.

“They may not agree to any one or all of those demands. But, by having made them directly, it becomes much more difficult for them, I think, to posture on the international stage and it then positions us to be able to obtain the kinds of assistance from potential allies that we need,” Obama continued.

The Illinois senator spoke as Carter is traveling in Israel ahead of meetings with top Hamas leaders, scheduled to take place Thursday and Friday in Egypt and Syria respectively. On Tuesday, Carter met with another Hamas leader, senior politician Nasser Shaer, in the West Bank town of Ramallah.

His trip has been roundly condemned by the Bush administration, U.S. lawmakers and Israeli officials.

Back in Philadelphia, Obama, who is being eyed for a possible future Carter endorsement, further discussed his views for a two-state solution between Israel and the Palestinians, saying both sides are going to have to cede ground.

“Israelis are going to … have to concede enough territorially that you got a coherent Palestinian state, not one that is just a state in name, but one that is functional, that works,” he said.

The candidate also refused to say whether he thought Jerusalem should be divided and East Jerusalem given as a capital for a future Palestinian state.

“I believe this is a decision that has to be made by the parties, not by the United States. But let’s be clear. Israel I think has a historic claim on Jerusalem, and I think that obviously there are sacred sites in the old city that are central to, not just Judaism but also Islam and Christianity. I think it is very important for us to find a way in which all those claims are respected. And this is something that I think is very important for the parties themselves to decide on. But I believe that it is not an acceptable option for Jerusalem to be severed from Israel along the lines of the 1967 border,” he said.

Obama closed his meeting by saying he did not think his relationship with his retiring pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who among other things, has accused Israel of state-sponsored terrorism against the Palestinians, would hurt him in the general election.

He added that he thought some of the discomfort people have about him has to do with “scurrilous e-mails,” references to his middle name, Hussein, and his race. But he said he has a long history of cooperation with the Jewish community.

“My links to the Jewish community are not political. They preceded my entry into politics,” adding that he’d been influenced by liberal Jewish writers, philosophers and friends.

“There is a kinship and a sense of shared community that predates my political career and will extend beyond this particular election. Know that I will be there for you, just as I believe that you will be there for me,” he said.

The response from several in the crowd was warm, with Pennsylvania state Rep. Josh Shapiro, an Obama supporter, saying that he thought Obama had adequately responded to issues that concern the Jewish community.

However, Hillary Clinton supporter Nancy Gordon, who chairs the Philadelphia chapter of the Joint Action Committee for Political Affairs, a Jewish organization, said she was not satisfied with Obama’s claims that he hadn’t been aware of Wright’s sermon just after Sept. 11, 2001, in which Wright said the terror attack on the U.S. was an example of the “chickens coming home to roost.”

Gordon said Clinton had her backing because “her commitment to the Jewish community has been steadfast and knowledgeable. His experience on these issues does not compare to hers. You could tell that this is not as much in his core as he says it is.”

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/04/16/obama-attempts-to-reconcile-conflicting-positions-on-hamas-iran-diplomacy/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: McCain Clinches Presidency
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 04:24:05 PM »
Joe, you keep counting the chickens before the eggs hatch.

The debates change everything, you know that.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 04:24:45 PM »
dorian yates way more intense than ronnie
Z

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 04:27:46 PM »
Joe, you keep counting the chickens before the eggs hatch.

The debates change everything, you know that.

Hillary and Obama should come on here to hammer it out.............it's going to be the same damn thing just see who can own who with insults and bashing.

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 04:28:25 PM »
Im more worried about gas prices, our shitty economy than Carter meeting folks over seas WHo gives a shit.  Thats the problem with American Politics. People talk about the shit thats NOT important and ignore the Real Issues

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »
Hillary and Obama should come on here to hammer it out.............it's going to be the same damn thing just see who can own who with insults and bashing.

Correct, Hilary and Obama suck.

But you can't convince people that McCain is GOOD just because the others are BAD.

McCain is making a lot of mistakes when speaking.  
Fox News calls them "Senior moments".

Tell us why you're NOT worried about McCain's age.

Sharma

• Getbig IV
  • TEAMNASSER4LIFE
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 04:29:18 PM »
Hamas deserve respect. Carter is showing the right spirit by dialoguing with them.

Obama needs to show more respect to Hamas. Obama's Kenyan family are all Muslim.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 04:29:36 PM »
Could have started this on the proper board.....did you drop a pink dumbell on your head?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The Coach

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 04:29:50 PM »
Im more worried about gas prices, our shitty economy than Carter meeting folks over seas WHo gives a shit.  Thats the problem with American Politics. People talk about the shit thats NOT important and ignore the Real Issues

Were the dems supposed to fix that when they took over congress?? MMmmmmmmmm!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 04:30:22 PM »

Well, then McCain might not be the man for you.

Last month, he said the economy was strong.
Two days ago, he said it was in a recession.

Mccain has promised to keep Bush economic policy - you know, the one that led to these gas prices, deficit, and war spending.

It's simple.  If you're happy with how things are, choose Mccain.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 04:31:02 PM »
hardcore

Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 04:31:08 PM »
Were the dems supposed to fix that when they took over congress?? MMmmmmmmmm!

Joe, be honest with people.

They TRIED to stop the war spending, and Bush vetoed it.

We wouldn't be spending $12 BIL a month, except for Bush told the cameras the dems didn't care about our soldiers.

He politicized their lives, Joe.  Defend that.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 04:31:42 PM »
no ifs
no butts

plain hardcore training

dorian style!
Z

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 04:31:53 PM »
Barack Obama declined to condemn Jimmy Carter Wednesday for Carter’s decision to meet with Hamas but said he supports diplomacy with Iran because it has recognized status internationally.

In a meeting with Jewish community leaders in Philadelphia, the Democratic presidential candidate stopped short of condemning the meeting between the former U.S. president and the designated terror group. However, he said direct talks with the Islamic Republic have practical benefits that are in Israel’s interest.

“Hamas is not a state. Hamas is a terrorist organization,” Obama said, explaining the distinction. “They obviously have developed great influence within the Palestinian territories, but they do not control the apparatus of power; they are not legitimately recognized as a state. They do not have a seat in the United Nations. And so I think there is a very clear distinction; not necessarily in terms of some of the odious rhetoric that comes out of Iran’s leadership versus Hamas’ leadership. But there is a distinction in terms of their status within the international community.

Obama has frequently been taunted by his rivals for suggesting as president he’d sit down with America’s enemies without preconditions. He attempted to clarify Wednesday that he would go into meetings with Iranian leaders with a “very clear set of objectives and a very clear set of demands.”

Among those, he said he would press the country to stop pursuing nuclear weapons, stop funding Hezbollah and Hamas and stop threatening Israel.

“My interest in meeting with Iran is practical; it is not based on my assessment of who they are or my judgment about their values, but rather it is a practical assessment in terms of how we can best achieve our ultimate goal, which is an Iran that is not threatening its neighbors, is not threatening Israel, does not possess nuclear weapons, is not funding organizations like Hezbollah and Hamas,” he said.

“They may not agree to any one or all of those demands. But, by having made them directly, it becomes much more difficult for them, I think, to posture on the international stage and it then positions us to be able to obtain the kinds of assistance from potential allies that we need,” Obama continued.

The Illinois senator spoke as Carter is traveling in Israel ahead of meetings with top Hamas leaders, scheduled to take place Thursday and Friday in Egypt and Syria respectively. On Tuesday, Carter met with another Hamas leader, senior politician Nasser Shaer, in the West Bank town of Ramallah.

His trip has been roundly condemned by the Bush administration, U.S. lawmakers and Israeli officials.

Back in Philadelphia, Obama, who is being eyed for a possible future Carter endorsement, further discussed his views for a two-state solution between Israel and the Palestinians, saying both sides are going to have to cede ground.

“Israelis are going to … have to concede enough territorially that you got a coherent Palestinian state, not one that is just a state in name, but one that is functional, that works,” he said.

The candidate also refused to say whether he thought Jerusalem should be divided and East Jerusalem given as a capital for a future Palestinian state.

“I believe this is a decision that has to be made by the parties, not by the United States. But let’s be clear. Israel I think has a historic claim on Jerusalem, and I think that obviously there are sacred sites in the old city that are central to, not just Judaism but also Islam and Christianity. I think it is very important for us to find a way in which all those claims are respected. And this is something that I think is very important for the parties themselves to decide on. But I believe that it is not an acceptable option for Jerusalem to be severed from Israel along the lines of the 1967 border,” he said.

Obama closed his meeting by saying he did not think his relationship with his retiring pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who among other things, has accused Israel of state-sponsored terrorism against the Palestinians, would hurt him in the general election.

He added that he thought some of the discomfort people have about him has to do with “scurrilous e-mails,” references to his middle name, Hussein, and his race. But he said he has a long history of cooperation with the Jewish community.

“My links to the Jewish community are not political. They preceded my entry into politics,” adding that he’d been influenced by liberal Jewish writers, philosophers and friends.

“There is a kinship and a sense of shared community that predates my political career and will extend beyond this particular election. Know that I will be there for you, just as I believe that you will be there for me,” he said.

The response from several in the crowd was warm, with Pennsylvania state Rep. Josh Shapiro, an Obama supporter, saying that he thought Obama had adequately responded to issues that concern the Jewish community.

However, Hillary Clinton supporter Nancy Gordon, who chairs the Philadelphia chapter of the Joint Action Committee for Political Affairs, a Jewish organization, said she was not satisfied with Obama’s claims that he hadn’t been aware of Wright’s sermon just after Sept. 11, 2001, in which Wright said the terror attack on the U.S. was an example of the “chickens coming home to roost.”

Gordon said Clinton had her backing because “her commitment to the Jewish community has been steadfast and knowledgeable. His experience on these issues does not compare to hers. You could tell that this is not as much in his core as he says it is.”

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/04/16/obama-attempts-to-reconcile-conflicting-positions-on-hamas-iran-diplomacy/

Obama's obviously not going to condemn a former Democratic President of the US and neither is Hillary and no one is going to expect him to do it. 

Coach, please get your head out of your ass.  Obama clearly stated that Hama's was a terrorist organization.  What more can be said. 

The election won't hinge on Isreal or Iran as people care more about the high cost of gasoline and rising prices 
A

The Coach

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 04:31:59 PM »
Correct, Hilary and Obama suck.

But you can't convince people that McCain is GOOD just because the others are BAD.

Little fact........something like 1 in 5 dems will vote for McCain if Hillary wins...........1 in 10 are more likely to vote for McCain if Obama wins.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »
joe, you're an idiot. a complete and utter, drooling moron. a man who should not be allowed within 50 feet of a voting booth because in the off-chance that your malfunctioning brain doesn't short-circuit while you're attempting to vote and cause you to injure yourself, you display nothing even RESEMBLING the cognitive function necessary to make a responsible choice for the president.

you're ripping on Obama because he'll meet with the leader of an enemy nation, eh? i'm assuming you think reagan shouldn't have met with Gorbachev or Nixon with the leader of china? right?

...right? ::)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 04:32:23 PM »
Where's Lee Harvey Oswald when you need him ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »
Little fact........something like 1 in 5 dems will vote for McCain if Hillary wins...........1 in 10 are more likely to vote for McCain if Obama wins.

Those poll results are quite common.

Again, you're focusing on the dems.  Why?  Do you come home and night and worry what your neightbors are having for dinner?  Or do you make your own dinner?

Do you worry more about your own lawn, or about the garbage in your neigbors yard?

You didn't address Mccain's age - does it worry you?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 04:34:48 PM »
joe, you're an idiot. a complete and utter, drooling moron. a man who should not be allowed within 50 feet of a voting booth because in the off-chance that your malfunctioning brain doesn't short-circuit while you're attempting to vote and cause you to injure yourself, you display nothing even RESEMBLING the cognitive function necessary to make a responsible choice for the president.

you're ripping on Obama because he'll meet with the leader of an enemy nation, eh? i'm assuming you think reagan shouldn't have met with Gorbachev or Nixon with the leader of china? right?

Joe,

Was Reagan wrong to negotiate with the Russian heads of state?

They were our bitter enemies, yet he used diplomacy, and we won as a result.

Even though they were backing terrorism and armies attacking our interests - Reagan still met with them.

Why shouldn't our leader meet with our enemy leaders?

Sharma

• Getbig IV
  • TEAMNASSER4LIFE
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 04:34:59 PM »

America needs to try diplomacy. in Vietnam and the middle east the country is getting owned in wars. stop fighting demons and losing, show respect.

essentially Obama knows this. he is from Muslim background. he knows that Islam must be respected.

the war has failed.

Zaphod

• Getbig IV
  • IFBB Mr Canada 1970
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 04:39:43 PM »

Apples and oranges.

The liberal mind is filled with such immature arguments based on false comparisons.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 04:40:54 PM »
diplomacy is not a dirty word. in fact it worked surprisingly well in MANY situations.

do you guys think the only countries run by ruthless dictators are the ones in bush's targets (iraq, afghanistan, syria, etc)? please. saudi arabia exports more terrorists than any other nation and we meet with them constantly. pakistan, uzbekistan, the list goes on.

in fact, it'd be nice if we tried diplomacy more often. separating the world into "good guys" and "bad guys" is one of those neoconservative trademark signs of stupidity that is the reason so much of the world sees the United States as selfish, imperialistic, and not to be trusted.

Apples and oranges.

The liberal mind is filled with such immature arguments based on false comparisons.

you're lucky your name comes from one of my favorite books or i'd have half a mind to slap some sense into you. ;D

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »

It's the lesser of two evils....and well, it's Joe. ::)

Like Bush doesn't make mistakes? Doesn't Coach support that moron? McCain makes less mistakes, and he's a republican...all in all, that's good enough for The Coach.

Zaphod

• Getbig IV
  • IFBB Mr Canada 1970
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 04:44:34 PM »

you're lucky your name comes from one of my favorite books or i'd have half a mind to slap some sense into you. ;D

Hahahah

"Don't Panic"

Love your taste in films

HATE your politics.  >:(

Sharma

• Getbig IV
  • TEAMNASSER4LIFE
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 04:46:11 PM »
diplomacy is not a dirty word. in fact it worked surprisingly well in MANY situations.

do you guys think the only countries run by ruthless dictators are the ones in bush's targets (iraq, afghanistan, syria, etc)? please. saudi arabia exports more terrorists than any other nation and we meet with them constantly. pakistan, uzbekistan, the list goes on.

in fact, it'd be nice if we tried diplomacy more often.

good post but you must realize that these 'terrorists' exported are as a direct result of Americans murdering innocents everyday in the Middle East and meddling in the affairs of Muslims.

they are freedom fighters in their cultures, trying to free the country from American invaders and intervention.

If America tried diplocacy and real respect for Islam then these people you call terrorist would not exist