Author Topic: Front squats - Olympic grip or bodybuilder's grip?  (Read 1600 times)

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Front squats - Olympic grip or bodybuilder's grip?
« on: April 17, 2008, 01:28:23 PM »
I've been doing a lot of front squatting lately since my back is having some issues and back squats are a big no-no.  I used to use a hands-crossed grip similar to what you see most bodybuilders use.  But lately I've been using an Olympic lifter's grip - hands shoulder width and elbows up high, "racking" the bar on my shoulders.  I like the Olympic grip because it's easier to hold, but I have to drop the weight by about 20-30 lbs compared to if I cross my hands in front of me.  Any idea what might be causing that?  I would have expected to squat more since I'm more comfortable with the Olympic grip.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Re: Front squats - Olympic grip or bodybuilder's grip?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 01:42:02 PM »
I've been doing a lot of front squatting lately since my back is having some issues and back squats are a big no-no.  I used to use a hands-crossed grip similar to what you see most bodybuilders use.  But lately I've been using an Olympic lifter's grip - hands shoulder width and elbows up high, "racking" the bar on my shoulders.  I like the Olympic grip because it's easier to hold, but I have to drop the weight by about 20-30 lbs compared to if I cross my hands in front of me.  Any idea what might be causing that?  I would have expected to squat more since I'm more comfortable with the Olympic grip.
Likely your wrist/forearm strength and flexibility.  I had that problem too but it can be quickly alleviated.
Squishy face retard

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »
Likely your wrist/forearm strength and flexibility.  I had that problem too but it can be quickly alleviated.

i have to do it the "bodybuilder way" for that reason..no fucking way my hands will ever get back that far!

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 09:40:33 PM »

Why is your back having "some issues"?  Previous injuries?  How old are you?

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 01:07:33 AM »
Why is your back having "some issues"?  Previous injuries?  How old are you?

Compressed disc in my lumbar spine due to deadlifts done with the 8-sided plates that you find at some gyms.  When I brought the bar to the ground the plates on one side rolled away from me, and I was dumb and didn't reposition myself first. 
So half of the bar was dragging my thigh, the other half was about 6 inches away from it.  Since then a lot of the usual lifts that involve the lower back have been hard to do.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 04:34:49 AM »
Tape your wrists with athletic tape..............no more problems!