Author Topic: NBA PLAYOFFS  (Read 62881 times)

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
Re: NBA PLAYOFFS
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »
Answer: The same amount of championships the Suns had with Nash = 0.

I dont know about that, you take Nash away from the suns and they would be lucky to make the playoffs, take him away from the Mavs and they still went to the finals.  I'd have to think they would have gotten at least one, but then again you never know.  Too bad Dirk didn't become the all star he is now until Nash left.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2008, 02:02:45 AM »
Looks like Detroit came to play this series.  They should make quick work of Orlando.

I don't think the Hornets will walk all over the Spurs, despite the smack down in game 1.  The Spurs are too good and too well coached to go down without a fight. 

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2008, 03:00:09 AM »
I dont know about that, you take Nash away from the suns and they would be lucky to make the playoffs, take him away from the Mavs and they still went to the finals.  I'd have to think they would have gotten at least one, but then again you never know.  Too bad Dirk didn't become the all star he is now until Nash left.

Sorry, disagree 100%.  Nash is a defensive liability.  He could not anchor a championship team.  If Nash and Dirk together did not come close to a championship, that is all the proof you need.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2008, 03:02:03 AM »
Looks like Detroit came to play this series.  They should make quick work of Orlando.

I don't think the Hornets will walk all over the Spurs, despite the smack down in game 1.  The Spurs are too good and too well coached to go down without a fight. 
detroit are not mucking around. looking forward to see the outcome of hawks-celtics, i think the celtics will win in a blowout, but would love atlanta to win.

KOBE MVP congrats Bryant, see what you can accomplish playing team ball and trusting your teammates.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2008, 03:05:19 AM »
Sorry, disagree 100%.  Nash is a defensive liability.  He could not anchor a championship team.  If Nash and Dirk together did not come close to a championship, that is all the proof you need.
nash is a awesome point guard, but Parker just molested him, cant hate on him though he is a MVP also

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2008, 09:19:24 AM »
nash is a awesome point guard, but Parker just molested him, cant hate on him though he is a MVP also

I didn't mean to put down Nash.  My bigger point was Dallas didn't win when they had both Dirk and Nash.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2008, 03:20:49 PM »
Great first half by the lakers. they had poor rebounding in the 2nd half.

Would have been better if this was a night game. Theres nothing to watch on sunday evening.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2008, 07:43:31 PM »
Yeah.  I like late Sunday afternoon games too.

Great win by the Lakers.  I really like this team. 

Boston didn't play around today.  Some hard fouls. 

Too bad Atlanta didn't get into the lottery.  They're a player away from contending in the East. 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2008, 10:33:35 PM »
Yeah.  I like late Sunday afternoon games too.

Great win by the Lakers.  I really like this team. 

Boston didn't play around today.  Some hard fouls. 

Too bad Atlanta didn't get into the lottery.  They're a player away from contending in the East. 
Atlanta got lucky, i dont think they need a lottery pick, the draft is weak this year, they maybe need d-wade, now that i mention it, why dont stars go to atlanta, are the strip clubs to much of a disruption? i never been to the states the only thing i know bout atlanta is "Magic city"

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: May 04, 2008, 10:42:36 PM »
Atlanta got lucky, i dont think they need a lottery pick, the draft is weak this year, they maybe need d-wade, now that i mention it, why dont stars go to atlanta, are the strip clubs to much of a disruption? i never been to the states the only thing i know bout atlanta is "Magic city"

I was just there a couple weeks ago.  It's actually a pretty nice city.  Lot of history.  A lot going on.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2008, 01:41:21 AM »
I was just there a couple weeks ago.  It's actually a pretty nice city.  Lot of history.  A lot going on.
Im sure it is! never been to the states, want to go and watch a NBA game soon though

body88

« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2008, 06:30:37 AM »

The city is very nice. Very new, and up and coming. A lot going on at night, and as you said a lot of history and things going on. However, as a sports town, you would be hard pressed to find a worse one than Atlanta. Just my opinion of course.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2008, 12:52:46 PM »

The city is very nice. Very new, and up and coming. A lot going on at night, and as you said a lot of history and things going on. However, as a sports town, you would be hard pressed to find a worse one than Atlanta. Just my opinion of course.

Really?  Why do you say that? 

body88

« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2008, 01:52:57 PM »
Really?  Why do you say that? 

I think the fans are highly uneducated about pro sports history, and opposing teams. Just my opinion of course.

body88

« Reply #164 on: May 05, 2008, 01:59:42 PM »
Got one word for the Celtics......

OVERRATED.

If you can't win a road game against the worst team in the playoffs and close out a series, then how do you think your team will fare against better competition in the next round???

Embarrassing loss by the Celtics against the Hawks in game 6. Just embarrassing. Granted, they'll most likely win game 7 at home but holy shit......7 game series against the #8 seed?? ::)

I'm not worried though, ten bucks says you eat all the words you posted  :D ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2008, 02:09:26 PM »
I think the fans are highly uneducated about pro sports history, and opposing teams. Just my opinion of course.

Ah so.  I don't watch Atlanta sports teams much, but seems like they have two good franchises (football and baseball) and a basketball team with a lot of history. 

body88

« Reply #166 on: May 05, 2008, 03:29:03 PM »
Ah so.  I don't watch Atlanta sports teams much, but seems like they have two good franchises (football and baseball) and a basketball team with a lot of history. 

Next time you are walking around Atlanta, talk sports with some random citizens. Prolly became sports fans the week before. No offense to anyone from Atlanta here, I am not referring to ALL Atlanta sports fans. The heavy influx of young professionals has watered down the town sports wise.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2008, 08:51:47 AM »

I'm not worried though, ten bucks says you eat all the words you posted  :D ;)
So what you're saying is that the Celtics endured a wake-up call against the Hawks and are now going to lose only a couple of more times on their way to the NBA title??

How do you think the defending NBA champ Spurs would've done against the Hawks in a 7 games series, hypothetically speaking? I think you know the answer to that one.

The bottom line is that the Celtics still have much to prove that they're a legit NBA title contender. It all comes down to how they play Detroit in the East finals, provided they get past the Cavs.

body88

« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2008, 09:21:59 AM »
So what you're saying is that the Celtics endured a wake-up call against the Hawks and are now going to lose only a couple of more times on their way to the NBA title??

How do you think the defending NBA champ Spurs would've done against the Hawks in a 7 games series, hypothetically speaking? I think you know the answer to that one.

The bottom line is that the Celtics still have much to prove that they're a legit NBA title contender. It all comes down to how they play Detroit in the East finals, provided they get past the Cavs.

I think they have the talent to win. I don't think anything you said is wrong. In fact, it is all quite true. I am giving the Celtics a little more leeway, and the hawks a bit more credit than you. I think the Celtics took the Hawks lightly, and they suffered a bit of playoff inexperience on the road. The team has only been together for a year. When they beat the hawks they stomped their heads in, and when they lost it was VERY close. I think the Celtics learn from that series and move on. The Celtics beat the Hawks by over 40 points in there last meeting. However, from an experience standpoint you are correct, the Celtics need to grow up.

We shall see.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: May 06, 2008, 09:38:56 AM »
I think they have the talent to win. I don't think anything you said is wrong. In fact, it is all quite true. I am giving the Celtics a little more leeway, and the hawks a bit more credit than you. I think the Celtics took the Hawks lightly, and they suffered a bit of playoff inexperience on the road. The team has only been together for a year. When they beat the hawks they stomped their heads in, and when they lost it was VERY close. I think the Celtics learn from that series and move on. The Celtics beat the Hawks by over 40 points in there last meeting. However, from an experience standpoint you are correct, the Celtics need to grow up.

We shall see.

Look, the Celtics are a great team, no question. They won 66 games this year! That's impressive no matter what conference they play in. Championship caliber? Remains to be seen, IMO. And if they don't win this year? How long of a window do they have to win it all? Garnett, Allen, and Pierce are not spring chickens anymore.

It could be argued that this has to be the year to get it done.

body88

« Reply #170 on: May 06, 2008, 10:47:31 AM »
Look, the Celtics are a great team, no question. They won 66 games this year! That's impressive no matter what conference they play in. Championship caliber? Remains to be seen, IMO. And if they don't win this year? How long of a window do they have to win it all? Garnett, Allen, and Pierce are not spring chickens anymore.

It could be argued that this has to be the year to get it done.

I think they will be highly competative for at least the next two years. As bad as the celtics where last year, Boston fans are just happy to watch a good team wear the colors.

I cant say for certain they are a championship team. Depends on if they learned from Atlanta, and they play there best basketball. I will say if they play like they did in the last game of the Atlants series, no one will beat them.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2008, 08:45:01 AM »
if they play like they did in the last game of the Atlants series, no one will beat them.

I admire your enthusiasm, but citing a home win (no matter how impressive) against a 37-45 team doesn't make the case.  For example, a 37 win team in the East is equivalent to a 22 win team in the West, Minnesota for example.   On February 13, 2008, the Lakers beat Minnesota at Minnesota 117-92.  Can you imagine if a Lakers fan said "If the Lakers play like they did against Minnesota, no one will beat them."

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2008, 10:13:31 AM »
Good point.

The Celtics have yet to prove they can win on the road in the playoffs.

body88

« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2008, 01:07:15 PM »
I admire your enthusiasm, but citing a home win (no matter how impressive) against a 37-45 team doesn't make the case.  For example, a 37 win team in the East is equivalent to a 22 win team in the West, Minnesota for example.   On February 13, 2008, the Lakers beat Minnesota at Minnesota 117-92.  Can you imagine if a Lakers fan said "If the Lakers play like they did against Minnesota, no one will beat them."

I didn't imagine the Celtics beating the crap out of the west all year. The Celtics have the talent to win, and if they can be a mature basketball team I think they will be successful.

I said if the Celtics played the way they did in the last game of the playoffs no one could beat them, which is true. I didn't cite some game from the regular season. Hawks or not, the Celtics played complete basketball for the entire game during game seven, and they looked like the team they where in the regular season ( which when playing complete ball - beat all the best teams in the west).

If the laker's blew out the Hawks, and played pretty much perfect basketball and you said - " if the Laker's play like that for the rest of the playoffs - they won't lose) I would have no problem with that. I'm not saying that is going to happen, I'm simply saying that if the Celtics play like they did in game seven ( and like they did for the vast majority of the regular season), I don't think they will lose.

Spare me with the east west stuff, the Celtics record vs the best conference in the NBA says it all. They have the talent to win, it will come down to if they learn from what happened in Atlanta, and Rivers can hold them together as a team. Did they play at to high a level all year, I dont know. You could argue that they cant "turn it up a notch" in the playoffs, because they played at such a high level all year.

Most people are trying to think of any excuse to tell me why the Celtics won't win, and some people are telling me why they wont win next year. Fact is this is a very good basketball team ( that's still inexperienced as a team in the playoffs) that beat the best of the best all year during the regular season. If they play to their ability, they have a very good shot to win it all.

body88

« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2008, 01:08:43 PM »
Good point.

The Celtics have yet to prove they can win on the road in the playoffs.

That's true.