Author Topic: NBA PLAYOFFS  (Read 62808 times)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: NBA PLAYOFFS
« Reply #250 on: May 13, 2008, 04:08:23 PM »
You think? If you look at River's career coaching record, it's that not that good.

A great, quality proven coach can always get more out of his players than an average coach who's merit level is disguised by the talent of his own team.

body88

« Reply #251 on: May 13, 2008, 04:38:54 PM »
If he loses to Cleveland in the second round then yes, he deserves to lose his job. But if he makes it to the conference finals and wins at least 2 games, then his job's safe.

I agree.... I like Rivers, but if he cant make it to at least the conference finals he needs to go. The Celtics look lost on the road offensively, and I'm still not sure what plan Rivers is trying to implement. Guts you want to talk about deperation from Rivers? How about BIG BABY playing in the fourth quarter of a big playofff game. I like big baby, but honestly!

This team won 66 regular season games, and won the most road games of any team in the NBA. I know it comes down to the players to make plays, but some of the offensive plan I have seen Rivers implement leaves me scratching my head.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #252 on: May 13, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »
spurs will win tonight

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #253 on: May 13, 2008, 08:27:17 PM »
You think? If you look at River's career coaching record, it's that not that good.

A great, quality proven coach can always get more out of his players than an average coach who's merit level is disguised by the talent of his own team.

This is true.  Phil Jackson took pretty much the same Lakers team that was eliminated in the early rounds of the playoffs and won three straight titles.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #254 on: May 13, 2008, 09:30:31 PM »
guess not.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #255 on: May 13, 2008, 09:49:11 PM »
This is true.  Phil Jackson took pretty much the same Lakers team that was eliminated in the early rounds of the playoffs and won three straight titles.

Yes, that team's success had nothing to do with becoming better as a unit after playing together for a longer period of time.

It was ALL PHIL, period.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: May 14, 2008, 06:57:48 AM »
being sarcastic, huh?

It wasn't all Phil, obviously. But you take a guy like that and have him coach the Celtics?

They probably wouldn't lose a game in the playoffs.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #257 on: May 14, 2008, 08:41:56 AM »
Yes, that team's success had nothing to do with becoming better as a unit after playing together for a longer period of time.

It was ALL PHIL, period.

I don't think it would have happened with Del Harris, honestly.  Phil's "niche" is that he manages and melds personalities.  A perfect example was the way he was able to make the "Worm" a productive team player or melded Scottie as a compliment to Jordan, things which other coaches failed at (e.g. Kurt Rambis being unable to manage Rodman as a Laker and Scottie's post-Phil malcontent history as a Trailblazer and Rocket).

Now obviously the talent was there, but the Shaq and Kobe personalities were so incompatible (and eventually, even under Phil they ultimately self-destructed) that it took Phil's psychological strategies to keep challenging an underachieving Shaq and beat down Kobe's ego.   Give at least some credit where credt is due.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: May 14, 2008, 08:47:16 AM »
I don't think it would have happened with Del Harris, honestly.  Phil's "niche" is that he manages and melds personalities.  A perfect example was the way he was able to make the "Worm" a productive team player or melded Scottie as a compliment to Jordan, things which other coaches failed at (e.g. Kirk Rambis being unable to manage Rodman as a Laker) and Scottie's post-Phil malcontent history as a Trailblazer and Rocket).

Now obviously the talent was there, but the Shaq and Kobe personalities were so incompatible (and eventually, even under Phil they ultimately self-destructed) that it took Phil's psychological strategies to keep challenging and underachieving Shaq and beat down Kobe's ego.   Give at least some credit where credt is due.

I agree.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #259 on: May 14, 2008, 10:32:51 PM »
good game by the lakers

up 3-2  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #260 on: May 14, 2008, 10:59:17 PM »
They did good.  Kobe was clearly slowed but still played a great game.  Looks like this one goes seven. 

LeBrick found his shot in Boston.   

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #261 on: May 15, 2008, 12:24:12 AM »
They did good.  Kobe was clearly slowed but still played a great game.  Looks like this one goes seven. 

LeBrick found his shot in Boston.   
LeBrick is a one man wrecking crew, i can see the cavs taking this out

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #262 on: May 15, 2008, 12:32:15 AM »

Certainly possible Quick.  He's the toughest man in the NBA to stop when he's in the open court. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #263 on: May 15, 2008, 05:31:35 AM »

Assuming a Game 6 win at home, there's no way Cleveland goes into Boston and wins a Game 7. 

The Lakers showed resilience last night and got a few key offensive rebounds, but overall, they're still getting killed on the glass.  And it's not just Boozer out-banging and out-hustling the Lakers...Okur and some of their role players are also beating the Lakers. 

I'm obviously hoping for an L.A.-Boston finals, but both will face even more serious tests before they can get there.

body88

« Reply #264 on: May 15, 2008, 05:45:14 AM »

Yea, but they cavs still lost.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2008, 07:45:32 AM »
Boston will not get pass the Pistons if they beat the Cavaliers.Just ain't happening.

For one, they'll be gassed from playing back to back seven game series(yes, Cleveland is winning game 6)

And they just don't have the playoff experience and team chemistry the Pistons have.

I'm not trying to be a Celtics hater. I would love to see Garnett get a ring. He deserves it.

But the Pistons are going to the Finals.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #266 on: May 15, 2008, 08:08:09 AM »
How about the Pistons getting to the Eastern Conference Finals for the sixth year in a row?  Props to Joe Dumars. 

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
« Reply #267 on: May 15, 2008, 07:49:01 PM »
Boston will not get pass the Pistons if they beat the Cavaliers.Just ain't happening.

For one, they'll be gassed from playing back to back seven game series(yes, Cleveland is winning game 6)

And they just don't have the playoff experience and team chemistry the Pistons have.

I'm not trying to be a Celtics hater. I would love to see Garnett get a ring. He deserves it.

But the Pistons are going to the Finals.

I could definetly see another Pistons championship this year, they are looking pretty good and their style of play matches up well with Boston or the Lakers, they will ruff those teams up.  I think Utah, Cleveland, or Hornets would have a better chance of beating them, but since sadly it looks like my jazz are done and cleveland is on its way out it not going to happen.

As far as San Antonio, we all know they can only win in odd numbered years. ;)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #268 on: May 16, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
I could definetly see another Pistons championship this year, they are looking pretty good and their style of play matches up well with Boston or the Lakers, they will ruff those teams up. 

I don't know about that.  K-Mart and the Nugs tried "Thug Ball" with Lakers, it resulted in a sweep.  Kobe is one tough SOB, impossible to intimidate.

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
« Reply #269 on: May 16, 2008, 04:16:10 PM »
I don't know about that.  K-Mart and the Nugs tried "Thug Ball" with Lakers, it resulted in a sweep.  Kobe is one tough SOB, impossible to intimidate.

Im no talking about thug ball, Detroit definetly does not play that style, Im talking about a hard physical game.  You notice the two games that Utah won was when they were dominant on the inside and pushing odom and gasol around.  Almost everyone on the Pistons team will be able to post up their man and take them down low.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #270 on: May 16, 2008, 06:05:47 PM »
detroit will beat boston. then they will play an epic finals but lose to whoever comes out of the west. if spurs can get past new orleans i think they can win it again.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #271 on: May 16, 2008, 06:45:27 PM »
boston down 13 @ 7:44 in the 3rd

terrible

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: May 16, 2008, 06:54:35 PM »
lebron is killin em and his shot is off..hahahahaha Go Cavs..

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #273 on: May 16, 2008, 06:56:54 PM »
lol after I wrote that the celtics went on a 13-0 run

3 point game

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #274 on: May 16, 2008, 06:58:37 PM »