Author Topic: NBA PLAYOFFS  (Read 62806 times)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
Re: NBA PLAYOFFS
« Reply #400 on: May 29, 2008, 07:31:51 PM »
that contortionist had a nice body  :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #401 on: May 29, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »
The Black Mamba baby!  ;D

I'll still give the Spurs props.  Great team. 

And Quick you da man. 

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #402 on: May 29, 2008, 08:49:55 PM »

And Quick you da man. 
agreed the spurs are always going to be good and will be so for a very long time. they are well coached.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #403 on: May 29, 2008, 09:05:21 PM »
it's great to see a player like kobe in the league.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #404 on: May 29, 2008, 09:43:14 PM »
/\/\/\ hmm makes you think

Line moved to 8 for tonite, so I took the Spurs...and then cringed as Sasha hit a completely unnecessary 3 at the buzzer.

This was the kind of game the Lakers needed to win.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #405 on: May 30, 2008, 01:11:13 AM »

And Quick you da man. 

Dont like to brag but...Im a scouting genius.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #406 on: May 30, 2008, 06:47:30 AM »
Hats off to the Lakers! They closed out the series in true fashion.

Kobe is an assassin in basketball shorts.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #407 on: May 30, 2008, 08:27:31 AM »
agreed the spurs are always going to be good and will be so for a very long time. they are well coached.

Pop is a good coach for sure, but unless they get an infusion of young talent suddenly, it is going to be difficult for them to stay on top.  Duncan is looking at the downside of his career for a big man and there are aging, rusting parts all over.  That Hornets 7 game series was too much for an older veteran team to endure and then face even a bigger challenge.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #408 on: May 30, 2008, 11:13:33 AM »
thank you guys for giving the spurs some props. yes it appears they FINALLY ran out of gas. its ok though, our core is intact. we need to only upgrade a few periphery parts and we will be back on top.
and there is NO ONE better at finding great talent out of seemingly nowhere than the spurs front office.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #409 on: May 30, 2008, 11:39:47 AM »
thank you guys for giving the spurs some props. yes it appears they FINALLY ran out of gas. its ok though, our core is intact. we need to only upgrade a few periphery parts and we will be back on top.
and there is NO ONE better at finding great talent out of seemingly nowhere than the spurs front office.

The Spurs' front office revolutionized talent scouting and particularly the value of overseas talent.  They were consistently able to get superior value despite a lower position in the draft.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #410 on: May 30, 2008, 01:01:44 PM »
you think detroit wins tonight?

I want the East to go to 7 games.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #411 on: May 30, 2008, 01:09:11 PM »
Congrats to the Lakers.

They played like they are Champions and I am truly impressed.

I'll be pulling for them to win the whole thing. Let's keep the trophy in the West!

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #412 on: May 30, 2008, 08:25:54 PM »
I have a lot of confidence in this Laker team. Should be a great finals.

Simmons: Like it or not, Lake Show can't be stopped
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080530

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #413 on: May 31, 2008, 12:20:21 AM »
The Spurs' front office revolutionized talent scouting and particularly the value of overseas talent.  They were consistently able to get superior value despite a lower position in the draft.

Yep.  Manu and Parker were great pickups. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #414 on: May 31, 2008, 12:24:18 AM »
Was not impressed with either Detroit or Boston.  Rasheed Wallace is just dumb.  One technical away from a suspension and couldn't keep his mouth shut.  The refs went above and beyond by not giving him a T on multiple occasions. 

Really looking forward to the Finals.  Kobe will abuse Ray Allen.  Odom will have his hands full with Pierce.  Radmanovich will have trouble with KG.  Fish will finally get a break after chasing Iverson, Williams, and Parker. 

Get ready for the "Beat LA!" chants in Boston.  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #415 on: May 31, 2008, 01:21:10 AM »
Looks like the Celtic conspiracy paid dividends for the Celtics and Lakers.  Former Celtics McHale (T-Wolves), Ainge (Celtics), and Bird (Pacers) wouldn't allow the KG for Odom/Bynum trade and instead sent KG to Boston for pretty much nothing.  Bird then tries to unload J. O'Neal on the Lakers, who wouldn't bite.  T-Wolves wind up in the lottery.  Celtics went from the lottery to the NBA Finals.  Bynum blossomed and Lakers wind up in the Finals.  Very happy the Lakers didn't do that trade.       

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #416 on: May 31, 2008, 01:54:28 PM »
I'm surprised more attention isn't being given to the Celtics.

Pretty amazing story right there. I know getting Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett helped, but it's still a great story. I hope they whip the Lakers! And I hope they're able to keep their team together because an East v West rivalry is just what the NBA needs. Not the fucking boring Spurs that no one gives a shit about going to the Finals every year.  ::)

CARTEL

• Getbig V
« Reply #417 on: May 31, 2008, 09:36:09 PM »
Really looking forward to the Finals.  Kobe will abuse Ray Allen.  Odom will have his hands full with Pierce.  Radmanovich will have trouble with KG.  Fish will finally get a break after chasing Iverson, Williams, and Parker. 

Rondo is no slouch. His defense is pretty damn good and he is always moving. I doubt Fish will think he is getting a break.

Wouldn't Gasol pick up KG? KG will have a monster series unless he recedes back to the old KG of folding under pressure.

The Celts have pretty good role players also.

I pick the Lakers in a tough 6 though  :)

CARTEL

• Getbig V
« Reply #418 on: May 31, 2008, 09:38:37 PM »
Not the fucking boring Spurs that no one gives a shit about going to the Finals every year.  ::)

Matrix and I give a shit about one of the best organizations in sports so you can shove it up your ass  :-*

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #419 on: June 01, 2008, 09:08:40 AM »
Rondo is no slouch. His defense is pretty damn good and he is always moving. I doubt Fish will think he is getting a break.

Wouldn't Gasol pick up KG? KG will have a monster series unless he recedes back to the old KG of folding under pressure.

I have looked at this series a dozen different ways and I can see the arguments pro and con.  But every time, I complete the analysis with one four letter word that trumps every other consideration that tilts the scales in the Lakers direction:  "Kobe"

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #420 on: June 01, 2008, 09:59:54 AM »

Rondo is okay, but he's not Iverson, Williams, or Parker.  Not even close. 

I'd like to see Gasol on KG, but that would leave Radmanovich on Perkins.  I guess that could happen, but I'm not sure Rad can handle the low post.

I guess they could put Rad on Pierce and Odom on KG.   

The Lakers have better role players and a better bench IMO.

I can see the Lakers in 5 or 6.  Part of me wants them to win it in Boston. 

But they still have to lace them up and play.  Anything can happen. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #421 on: June 01, 2008, 10:04:58 AM »
Ah memories.   :)

Top 10 Moments in Celtics-Lakers Postseason History
ESPN

Updated: June 1, 2008, 9:07 AM ET

With 10 NBA Finals series under their belts the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers have had plenty of moments that have gone down in history. Below is a list compiled by ESPN research of the top 10 moments in Finals history between the Celtics and the Lakers.

Magic Johnson clutches his third Finals MVP award in 1987.
1) 1987 NBA Finals - Game 4 (June 9, 1987)
Trailing by one point, the Los Angeles Lakers put the ball and the game in the hands of Magic Johnson. Like he had so many times before, he delivered the game-winning blow, a running hook shot in the lane.

The 107-106 victory over the Celtics gave them a 3-1 edge in the series that they would eventually go on to win in six games. Magic's performance led him to winning his third NBA Finals MVP.

2) 1962 NBA Finals - Game 7 (April 18, 1962)
Frank Selvy had a chance to end the game for the Lakers in regulation, but his miss forced the game into overtime where the Celtics, behind Bill Russell's 30 points and 40 rebounds, would go on to win 110-107 and win Boston's fifth NBA title.

3) 1962 NBA Finals - Game 5 (April 14, 1962)
Elgin Baylor scored a Finals-record 61 points for the Los Angeles Lakers who were making their first title-game appearance. Baylor also added 22 rebounds in leading the Lakers to a 126-121 victory and a 3-2 series lead. However, Boston would go on to win the final two games and win the title.

Russell and Wilt had their battles but Russell's 11 rings do the final talking.
4) 1969 NBA Finals - Game 7 (May 5, 1969)
In what turned out to be Bill Russell's final game the Celtics saw a 17-point fourth-quarter lead almost disappear. Up only one point Don Nelson put up a shot the bounded off the back of the rim and dropped into the net to keep the Celtics up for good.

Boston would go on to win the game 108-106 and send Russell off with his unprecedented 11th title.

5) 1984 NBA Finals - Game 2 (May 31, 1984)
Trailing 1-0 after dropping Game 1 at home, the Celtics found themselves trailing Game 2 by two points with only 18 seconds left.

In jeopardy of losing the first two games of the series at home Gerald Henderson intercepted a James Worthy pass and scored a game-tying layup. The Celtics would win the game in overtime 124-121 and the series in seven games.

6) 1962 NBA Finals - Game 3 (April 10, 1962)
The logo made his presence felt in a tight Game 3 matchup. In a game tied at 115, Jerry West stole an inbounds pass intended for Bob Cousy with four seconds left in regulation and beat the clock for a game-winning layup.

Kareem led the Lakers in 1985 over the Celtics for the first time in Finals history.
7) 1985 NBA Finals - Game 6 (June 9, 1985)
After receiving most of the blame for the Lakers' 148-114 loss in Game 1, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar went on to carry the Lakers the rest of the series. His 29-point performance in the series-clinching 111-100 win at Boston in Game 6 helped him become the oldest Finals MVP in NBA history and give the Lakers their first Finals series win over Boston after eight previous failed attempts.

8) 1984 NBA Finals - Game 4 (June 6, 1984)
This game will always be remembered as the game in which Kevin McHale sent a message to the Lakers by clotheslining Kurt Rambis to the ground on a breakaway layup. The message seemed to have worked as the Lakers would go on to make several key mistakes in blowing a five-point lead with less than a minute to go.

The Celtics would go on to win the game 129-125 in overtime thanks to a Larry Bird game-wining shot over Magic Johnson.

9) 1969 NBA Finals - Game 4 (April 29, 1969)
This game's importance was signified by the real-life version of the Hoosiers "picket fence" play. Sam Jones hit the game-winning shot to give the Celtics an 89-88 victory. The win tied the series at two against the heavily favored Lakers and set up one of the greatest upsets in Finals history.

10) 1985 NBA Finals - Game 4 (June 5, 1985)
Dennis Johnson's 20-foot jumper with one second left gave the Celtics a two-point victory over the Lakers in the Forum. The 107-105 victory tied the series 2-2. However, it would be Boston's final celebration as they dropped the next two to lose the series in six games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/news/story?page=top10-bosvslal

body88

« Reply #422 on: June 01, 2008, 02:42:17 PM »
Rondo is okay, but he's not Iverson, Williams, or Parker.  Not even close. 

I'd like to see Gasol on KG, but that would leave Radmanovich on Perkins.  I guess that could happen, but I'm not sure Rad can handle the low post.

I guess they could put Rad on Pierce and Odom on KG.   

The Lakers have better role players and a better bench IMO.

I can see the Lakers in 5 or 6.  Part of me wants them to win it in Boston. 

But they still have to lace them up and play.  Anything can happen. 

The Celtics beat the lakers twice in the regular season, and had a higher winning percentage vs the west. I know Gasol was not playing when the celts beat them, but I think Gasol has been overrated in the playoffs. IMO, Gasol is soft, and the spurs showed that. Gasol will have trouble with Garnett and especially Perk. Rondo outplayed Billups a lot of the time, and Billups is about 50 times faster than Fischer. Last time they met Rondo dished out ten assits against Fischer, and only had one turnover. Rondo is a better player now, and he has the stamina and speed to tire Fischer out. Research shows me the Lakers did poor against teams who actually know how to defend the three point line all year, and the celts are more physical. Everyone told me how great the pistons bench and role players are, and the Celtics beat them in 6. The playoffs are a different animal, but I think the Celtics are hungry. Everyone has been telling me why the Celtics are going to lose since the Atlanta series, and I ain't going to start believing it now!

Celtics in 7.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #423 on: June 01, 2008, 05:02:34 PM »

The Celtics beat the lakers twice in the regular season, and had a higher winning percentage vs the west. I know Gasol was not playing when the celts beat them, but I think Gasol has been overrated in the playoffs. IMO, Gasol is soft, and the spurs showed that. Gasol will have trouble with Garnett and especially Perk. Rondo outplayed Billups a lot of the time, and Billups is about 50 times faster than Fischer. Last time they met Rondo dished out ten assits against Fischer, and only had one turnover. Rondo is a better player now, and he has the stamina and speed to tire Fischer out. Research shows me the Lakers did poor against teams who actually know how to defend the three point line all year, and the celts are more physical. Everyone told me how great the pistons bench and role players are, and the Celtics beat them in 6. The playoffs are a different animal, but I think the Celtics are hungry. Everyone has been telling me why the Celtics are going to lose since the Atlanta series, and I ain't going to start believing it now!

Celtics in 7.

Let me address a few of your points. 

(1)  The Playoffs are a Different AnimalExactly, that's right, throw out the regular season record versus the west and against the Lakers, why even mention them?  Now let's look at the playoffs, 20 games to get through the east and the Hawks and Cavs taking the Celts to seven? It's just not impressive at all.  The team with the best record in the playoffs against superior competition? the Lakers.  Edge:  L.A.

(2)  Hunger: There is no player in the NBA hungrier than Kobe. Hands down.  Plus, Phil has a chance to put his stamp on history and I expect to see far more inspired coaching than against Detroit several years ago.  Edge:  L.A.

(3) Gasol and "Softness" :  Tim Duncan, the best big man in the game, makes many centers look "soft."  Expect Gasol to take a much less skilled player like "Perk" to school.  I haven't seen a single analyst give the Celts an edge at this position and I, for one, wholeheartedly agree.  Edge:  L.A.

(4) Fisher versus Rondo:  Fish is not asked to be the speed demon.  He is a superior floor general, setting the spacing, playing agressive, smart defense.  Having faced Allen Iverson, Deron Williams and Tony Parker in successive rounds, trust me, Fish is not losing sleep over Rondo.  Edge:  Neutral.

As far as beating Detroit, nice opponent but they have been classic underachievers, especially under "Flip."  Beating the defending world champs in 5 games is just a tad more impressive.

Prediction: Lakers in 5.  Split in Boston, and 3-0 in LA.

body88

« Reply #424 on: June 01, 2008, 05:25:58 PM »
Let me address a few of your points. 

(1)  The Playoffs are a Different AnimalExactly, that's right, throw out the regular season record versus the west and against the Lakers, why even mention them?  Now let's look at the playoffs, 20 games to get through the east and the Hawks and Cavs taking the Celts to seven? It's just not impressive at all.  The team with the best record in the playoffs against superior competition? the Lakers.  Edge:  L.A.

(2)  Hunger: There is no player in the NBA hungrier than Kobe. Hands down.  Plus, Phil has a chance to put his stamp on history and I expect to see far more inspired coaching than against Detroit several years ago.  Edge:  L.A.

(3) Gasol and "Softness" :  Tim Duncan, the best big man in the game, makes many centers look "soft."  Expect Gasol to take a much less skilled player like "Perk" to school.  I haven't seen a single analyst give the Celts an edge at this position and I, for one, wholeheartedly agree.  Edge:  L.A.

(4) Fisher versus Rondo:  Fish is not asked to be the speed demon.  He is a superior floor general, setting the spacing, playing agressive, smart defense.  Having faced Allen Iverson, Deron Williams and Tony Parker in successive rounds, trust me, Fish is not losing sleep over Rondo.  Edge:  Neutral.

As far as beating Detroit, nice opponent but they have been classic underachievers, especially under "Flip."  Beating the defending world champs in 5 games is just a tad more impressive.

Prediction: Lakers in 5.  Split in Boston, and 3-0 in LA.

Sounds good, well see if it works out the way you see it.