Author Topic: NBA PLAYOFFS  (Read 62779 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: NBA PLAYOFFS
« Reply #425 on: June 01, 2008, 05:30:32 PM »

Your right, the celtics are terrible, and they have NO shot.

I don't think I said either of those things.  For the record, I don't think they're terrible and I think they have a decent shot.  I'm just responding to some of the points you raised and giving my take on why the same criteria weighs in LA's favor.  Just fun sports conversation here.

body88

« Reply #426 on: June 01, 2008, 05:32:57 PM »
I don't think I said either of those things.  For the record, I don't think they're terrible and I think they have a decent shot.  I'm just responding to some of the points you raised and giving my take on why the same criteria weighs in LA's favor.  Just fun sports conversation here.

I agree, you qouted my post before I could edit it. After reading it, I changed my response. I said that everything you said sounds good, and we shall see how it goes. However, I think the Celtics will give the lakers all they can handle. You west coasters are quick to the trigger  ;)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #427 on: June 01, 2008, 05:34:10 PM »

Sounds good, well see if it works out the way you see it.

That's why this is the most intriguing finals matchup in many years.  I picked them in 5 because if they have to go back to Boston, it could be trouble. (By the way, I hate this 2-3-2 format).

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #428 on: June 02, 2008, 08:55:19 AM »

The Celtics beat the lakers twice in the regular season, and had a higher winning percentage vs the west. I know Gasol was not playing when the celts beat them, but I think Gasol has been overrated in the playoffs. IMO, Gasol is soft, and the spurs showed that. Gasol will have trouble with Garnett and especially Perk. Rondo outplayed Billups a lot of the time, and Billups is about 50 times faster than Fischer. Last time they met Rondo dished out ten assits against Fischer, and only had one turnover. Rondo is a better player now, and he has the stamina and speed to tire Fischer out. Research shows me the Lakers did poor against teams who actually know how to defend the three point line all year, and the celts are more physical. Everyone told me how great the pistons bench and role players are, and the Celtics beat them in 6. The playoffs are a different animal, but I think the Celtics are hungry. Everyone has been telling me why the Celtics are going to lose since the Atlanta series, and I ain't going to start believing it now!

Celtics in 7.

I agree with MidniteRambo's response to this.  Also, Billups was hurt for most of the series and was never a great defender, so it doesn't surprise me that Rondo outplayed him.

Neither one of those teams impressed me in the Detroit/Boston series. 

I also like the fact the Lakers finished with the best record in the toughest conference in years and took out the defending champs in five games.  Very impressive. 

But all that stuff is out the window.  Looking forward to a great series. 

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #429 on: June 02, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
But all that stuff is out the window.

That is true.  When the Shaq and Kobe Lakers were about to go against Detroit in the Finals I was virtually certain Detroit would not beat them.  It is truly impossible to predict how a series will play out.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #430 on: June 02, 2008, 11:40:21 AM »
I'm surprised more attention isn't being given to the Celtics.

Pretty amazing story right there. I know getting Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett helped, but it's still a great story. I hope they whip the Lakers! And I hope they're able to keep their team together because an East v West rivalry is just what the NBA needs. Not the fucking boring Spurs that no one gives a shit about going to the Finals every year.  ::)

the celtics team and game is FAR more boring than that of the spurs, 99% of the 'fans' the celtics have now are nothing but bandwagoning douchebags who dont even follow basketball and probably think 'teh bulls' are still the best team.
the only thing this boston team has in common with the famous 80's teams is the franchise name yet all these schmoes seem thinks this is all 'so great' cause the name 'celtics'  reminds them of a team from over two decades ago ::)

maybe if they actually watched the  games they would realise that current boston has perhaps the most grueling, slow, defensive-minded, lack of flash game of any team in the league which, ironically, is what people claim to hate the spurs for, these same schmoes now all over boston's nuts  ::)

body88

« Reply #431 on: June 02, 2008, 12:50:48 PM »
the celtics team and game is FAR more boring than that of the spurs, 99% of the 'fans' the celtics have now are nothing but bandwagoning douchebags who dont even follow basketball and probably think 'teh bulls' are still the best team.
the only thing this boston team has in common with the famous 80's teams is the franchise name yet all these schmoes seem thinks this is all 'so great' cause the name 'celtics'  reminds them of a team from over two decades ago ::)

maybe if they actually watched the  games they would realise that current boston has perhaps the most grueling, slow, defensive-minded, lack of flash game of any team in the league which, ironically, is what people claim to hate the spurs for, these same schmoes now all over boston's nuts  ::)

I live near the garden, and even when the Celtics where a BAD team, the garden still sold more tickets than a lot of the NBA teams in the market. Boston is 50x times the sports town San Antonio will ever be, and don't be upset because your Spurs will be watching the Celtics play for there 17th title. Don't vent your frustrations on how boring your team is on Celtics fans. Btw, the Spurs are in the twilight of their "Dynasty", and they all have one place to go - down. What happend to the Celtics of the 80's will happen to the spurs, and the only difference is your team won't have one tenth of the history, to back up the dive the spurs will take. Btw, who competes with the spurs in the Market? Insert 5 other major franchises - ( that all either have been in the playoffs, or winning titles, and you see what attendance is like if you are in the middle of a 20 year championship drought). Patriots -superbowl, Red Sox - worldseries, Bruins - Playoffs, Rev - Finals and finally the Celtics going for a title. People go to see their teams win, and when they spurs are not winning,no one will go. When the Celtics sucked, they still drew more people than a lot of other NBA teams who where much better.

You have never been to Boston, Never been to the garden, and have no idea what you are talking about in regards to current Celtics fans. ANy random Celtics fan can talk NBA history with the best of them, and what do you call spurs fans who jumped on the wagon when they started winning? I'm willing to bet 99 percent of Spurs fans wagons are less than 10 years old! At least the Celtics have history.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #432 on: June 02, 2008, 01:19:49 PM »
I live near the garden, and even when the Celtics where a BAD team, the garden still sold more tickets than a lot of the NBA teams in the market. Boston is 50x times the sports town San Antonio will ever be, and don't be upset because your Spurs will be watching the Celtics play for there 17th title. Don't vent your frustrations on how boring your team is on Celtics fans. Btw, the Spurs are in the twilight of their "Dynasty", and they all have one place to go - down. What happend to the Celtics of the 80's will happen to the spurs, and the only difference is your team won't have one tenth of the history, to back up the dive the spurs will take. Btw, who competes with the spurs in the Market? Insert 5 other major franchises - ( that all either have been in the playoffs, or winning titles, and you see what attendance is like if you are in the middle of a 20 year championship drought). Patriots -superbowl, Red Sox - worldseries, Bruins - Playoffs, Rev - Finals and finally the Celtics going for a title. People go to see their teams win, and when they spurs are not winning,no one will go. When the Celtics sucked, they still drew more people than a lot of other NBA teams who where much better.

You have never been to Boston, Never been to the garden, and have no idea what you are talking about in regards to current Celtics fans. ANy random Celtics fan can talk NBA history with the best of them, and what do you call spurs fans who jumped on the wagon when they started winning? I'm willing to bet 99 percent of Spurs fans wagons are less than 10 years old! At least the Celtics have history.
yes ive been to boston ::) and i personally have no problem with the celtics at all. i respect a team with their style, as any true fan of basketball should.
the problem i have is, the IRONY of the situation in which many claim to hate the spurs and call them 'boring', when in fact the celtics style of basketball is EVEN MORE methodical, defensive-minded, and low scoring than the spurs. yet, because of the team's name and history, these same people are now leaping on the boston bandwagon(people from outside new england obviously is what im talking about) and singing the celtics' praises when in fact they share, and in fact even exceed, the same exact qualities which they rip the spurs for. its a double-standard that reveals who knows and appreciates basketball, and who is simply being told by the media whos 'cool' and whose not.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #433 on: June 02, 2008, 01:32:10 PM »
That is true.  When the Shaq and Kobe Lakers were about to go against Detroit in the Finals I was virtually certain Detroit would not beat them.  It truly impossible to predict how a series will play out.

Yeah.  I think it might have turned out differently if Malone didn't get hurt. 

body88

« Reply #434 on: June 02, 2008, 01:47:01 PM »
yes ive been to boston ::) and i personally have no problem with the celtics at all. i respect a team with their style, as any true fan of basketball should.
the problem i have is, the IRONY of the situation in which many claim to hate the spurs and call them 'boring', when in fact the celtics style of basketball is EVEN MORE methodical, defensive-minded, and low scoring than the spurs. yet, because of the team's name and history, these same people are now leaping on the boston bandwagon(people from outside new england obviously is what im talking about) and singing the celtics' praises when in fact they share, and in fact even exceed, the same exact qualities which they rip the spurs for. its a double-standard that reveals who knows and appreciates basketball, and who is simply being told by the media whos 'cool' and whose not.

Thats fine, but your original post would obviously offend any Celtics fans who had any pride at all. People hate on the spurs for the same reason they hate on the pats, they win so much. Let that talk roll off your back, all that matters is the titles, and you have plenty off them. Everyone called the pats "boring" until they got those high octane recievers, but you know what, that boring team won.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #435 on: June 02, 2008, 07:09:35 PM »
Btw, the Spurs are in the twilight of their "Dynasty", and they all have one place to go - down.

I don't agree with this at all. These "old guys" made it to the Western Finals and played against a very good Laker Team with a couple games that could have went either way that would've changed the whole complexion of the series. All that with no bench help and less than healthy Manu.

I think they still have a legitimate 3-4 years of Elite status and with one of the best front offices in the biz, there is no telling what they could end up with once TD retires.

TD adjusted his contract so they could build for the future beyond that. How many players, let alone Super Stars, do that for their organizations?

The guy is so under-appreciated by the league and fans that it is just a travesty.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #436 on: June 02, 2008, 08:28:47 PM »
I don't agree with this at all. These "old guys" made it to the Western Finals and played against a very good Laker Team with a couple games that could have went either way that would've changed the whole complexion of the series. All that with no bench help and less than healthy Manu.

I think they still have a legitimate 3-4 years of Elite status and with one of the best front offices in the biz, there is no telling what they could end up with once TD retires.

TD adjusted his contract so they could build for the future beyond that. How many players, let alone Super Stars, do that for their organizations?

The guy is so under-appreciated by the league and fans that it is just a travesty.

I agree.  The Spurs are not done at all.  Their big three (TD, Manu, and Parker) are as good as any in the league. 

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #437 on: June 02, 2008, 08:33:03 PM »
I agree.  The Spurs are not done at all.  Their big three (TD, Manu, and Parker) are as good as any in the league. 

The engine is solid.  But the fenders are filled with Bondo and tires are stripped. Without some re-tooling, you have a lower cede playoff team next year, nothing more.  Now granted, that front office has proven ability to obtain talent.  But "as is"?  The contender days are done.

body88

« Reply #438 on: June 03, 2008, 06:49:06 AM »

I'm not saying they wont be good, I'm saying that at they are only going to decline from the level they are at currently. Nothing lasts forever, just ask the Celtics.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #439 on: June 03, 2008, 07:51:13 AM »
The Spurs need to ge their supporting cast younger as the big three get older.

Bruce Bowen, Horry, and Kurt Thomas are ancient now.

They have to get more athletic in order to keep pace with the younger up and coming teams in the West. If the Hornets would have played with any killer instinct on the road, then they should have beat the Spurs in five games in this year's playoffs.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #440 on: June 03, 2008, 08:17:28 AM »
How about the recent announcement that the Pistons are going to fire Flip Saunders?

Three conference finals apprearances in a row?

I understand that front office is pissed about not reaching the finals but who do they think they can just plug in as head coach and take the Pistons to the next level??

Scratching my head on that one..... ???

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #441 on: June 03, 2008, 09:18:31 AM »
How about the recent announcement that the Pistons are going to fire Flip Saunders?

I understand that front office is pissed about not reaching the finals but who do they think they can just plug in as head coach and take the Pistons to the next level??

With an intact championship-caliber roster, they should have more trophies.  Conference finals appearances, no matter how many in a row, does not cut it when that team already proved it could do more.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #442 on: June 03, 2008, 11:18:28 AM »
The engine is solid.  But the fenders are filled with Bondo and tires are stripped. Without some re-tooling, you have a lower cede playoff team next year, nothing more.  Now granted, that front office has proven ability to obtain talent.  But "as is"?  The contender days are done.

I agree they need some new blood, but they only need a few role players, which isn't hard to do.  Most championship teams are built around a couple of stars.  They have three.

Even "as is" they were one of the best teams in the West and played L.A. very tough.  A few shots here and there and it could have been a different series.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #443 on: June 03, 2008, 11:19:57 AM »

Me too.  Who are they going to hire?  I don't agree with Detroit or Dallas getting rid of very successful coaches. 

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #444 on: June 03, 2008, 09:15:24 PM »
finals should be starting tomorrow

CARTEL

• Getbig V
« Reply #445 on: June 03, 2008, 09:16:47 PM »
I agree they need some new blood, but they only need a few role players, which isn't hard to do.  Most championship teams are built around a couple of stars.  They have three.

Even "as is" they were one of the best teams in the West and played L.A. very tough.  A few shots here and there and it could have been a different series.   

Exactly. I believe all the top teams in West will all get better next year, including the Spurs, which is scary.

I think the West is going to be unbelievable in the next few years.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #446 on: June 03, 2008, 11:30:32 PM »
finals should be starting tomorrow

Thursday.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #447 on: June 03, 2008, 11:31:40 PM »
Exactly. I believe all the top teams in West will all get better next year, including the Spurs, which is scary.

I think the West is going to be unbelievable in the next few years.

Yep.  Even the bottom teams will improve (Portland and Seattle).

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #448 on: June 04, 2008, 02:27:00 AM »
I see a LA victory, No doubt, the celtics lack anyone to contain Kobe, Posey?? well they could go to him, but then how would they utilise ray allen and his scoring punch? i dont think the celtics are better then the spurs, so L.A all the way.......

P.S at least tony parker has more time to fuk his wife.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
« Reply #449 on: June 04, 2008, 08:31:17 PM »
Kobe does not and cannot be stopped. This has been true the last 5 years.

Celtics just need to stop the rest. But the difference between this Laker team and the previous ones is that supporting cast is too good now and Kobe trusts them enough to carry the team for long stretches..

Spurs used to give Kobe whatever he wanted as far as singling him and would stop the rest, the same thing they do with Amare. That backfired this year.